Coconut Porter | Caldera Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4/5  rDev 0%

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

First had: on tap at Concordia Ale House, Portland, OR

Poured into a 12oz. glass, a dark brown-black with a thin tan head. I don't like coconut anything really, but the wife does, and she got this beer, so I'm glad I ended up sampling it because I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Smelled of--you guessed it--coconut, and milk chocolate, with some smooth roasted malts in the background. Very smooth on the tongue, taste of dark malts, and chocolate coated macaroons....which again, I do not like, but in beer form it translated so well. Sweet, but not overbearingly so, and then slightly bitter in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was smooth, but not quite full-bodied; it was definitely a porter and not a stout. Very good overall.

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The aroma on this beer is amazing. It has this chocolate coconut aroma to it that is definitely there but it is not overpowering. I was surprised when i tasted the beer and the coconut isn't as present more sweet chocolate flavors. There was another flavor in this beer that I just couldn't put my finger on that I am guessing was the coconut. The only thing I though might have been a little off was the mouth feel. The beer seemed a little too bubbly and it really drove some of the wrong flavors for this beer. I had this beer on draft at a beer bar during the Sacramento beer week.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thin head on a clearer brown colored body.
The aroma is chocolate and coconut... as expected.
The taste is moderately sweet chocolate and coconut with some mild bitterness in the middle and cream. Good balance.
The texture is smooth, creamy with low carbonation.
On the sweet side, but still enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

2.94/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I feel like I usually rate high, and I try to avoid any bashing. But either I got a bad bottle or this just really wasn't for me. I got hardly any hint of coconut in smell or taste. Not much smooth cocoa, either. Smell was better than taste. Taste and feel resembled slightly soured cola. Mine had a bitter, lingering, unpleasant aftertaste, too. And I realize this is marked as retired, but the reputable bottle shop I went to for this had this as new. Really not to my liking, and I wanted to like it. Hope it was just a bad bottle and others got better. Cheers.

Coconut Porter from Caldera Brewing Company