Smashbomb Atomic IPA

Notes: 70 IBU
Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 638 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by janubio:
3.48/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Amber colour, big head that fades leaving ring and lace. Aroma of resines, fruits, chocolate, caramel. Medium body, good carbonation. Taste of caramel,chocolate, resines, herbs, fruits, citrus. Not so bitter as one can expect, good balance between the sourness and the sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had a taste of this at a recent brewfest, but when I saw it as a bottle in a Mix-a-Six cooler, I jumped all over it out of an inherent sense of curiosity & wonderment.

From the bottle & packaging: "Man Made! Madness Crafted! Barely Under Control!"; "Normal Is Weird."; "Smashbomb Atomic IPA flares with flavor from the bizarre Citra hops. Brewed with strong Crystal malt backbone, the fiery body of this brilliant ale gleams with light."; "Pick Me up!"; "A brewer gone mad! In his newest and most daring beer! Can't stop the hops! Release the Flying Monkeys! Something has gone terribly wrong ... to make a beer so very right!"; "Smashbomb Atomic IPA is the first in a series of Flying Monkeys beers that will start to challenge the minds and palates of Ontario drinkers."; "We're giving reign to the Revolutionary Spirit of the Ontario 'Brewingistas' who are fighting the Craft Brewing misconception that the tamer fizzy yellow beers are what the market demands. We'll stop just short of calling Smashbomb an extreme beer, but it's a wicked hoppy creation using the bizarre Citra hop that's moving us there."; "Warning! Take Cover! This Is Not a Test! The first aroma shockwave that hits your face is full of the rare, explosive Citra hops. With alpha acids clocking in at 11%, Citra's cacophony of flavours dominate this beer. Packing a real fruit punch, Citra adds passion fruit, lime, melon, grapefruit, mango, and papaya notes to the Smashbomb Atomic hit. But don't be fooled. An IPA needs a strong malt backbone, so mad additions of Crystal and Victory specialty malts ignite the fiery body of this 6% ABV ale making Smashbomb Atomic gleam with its own golden energy."; "A Wild Hop Experiment -- Unleashed! We bombarded Smashbomb Atomic IPA with hops at an insane 8 different stages in brewing. Why? Well, why not? Then we took our experiment in harnessing the Hops one further. We unleashed our dry-hopping Secret Creation, the Hoppopotamus, upon this brew. This monkey-made beast circulates fermenting Smashbomb through a bed of whole leaf Citra and Centennial hops stripping all the aromatic oily resins from these juicy buds. Result: we get that aromatic hop explosion and those titillating tropical flavours while still controlling the residual hop bitterness."; "The Flying Monkeys can't stop the hops! The Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery is locally run by a few beer-lovin' friends and a family of unwavering Beer Disciples. Our philosophy? Keep the microbrewery revolution going - there's always room for more fresh and different beer in the 'Brewscape' of Ontario. We started a microbrewery so we could craft the kind of beers we, ourselves, have always wanted to buy and drink. So Heads up, Fellow Beer Geeks -- and release the Flying Monkeys! Peter Chiodo Founder & Brewer Hop Squad, Chief Experimental Hoptological Researcher"

I pried off the cap, but to my surprise, no Monkeys, Flying or otherwise, appeared. I went with a gentle pour since I was busy queueing up Blondie's "Atomic" to listen to during my review. I have been a fan of theirs since 1978, so I continued with an in-glass swirl that raised just under two fingers of dense, light-tan head with decent retention, leaving behind nice lacing as it fell. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was certainly explosive with a hoppy fruitiness! My hophead mouth instantly began to water. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was clearly hop-driven with an abundance of fruity flavors, especially grapefruit, but also with passion fruit, lime, melon, mango, and papaya notes as advertised. I was kind of surprised by its relatively low bitterness, but it was eminently quaffable as a result. Finish was dry, but subtle, still very easy-drinking. I'd like to see this in a CAN!

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

A: dark amber color, reddish, finger of light foam with good lacing

S: cedar, pine, earthy, dank, fresh earth, citrus pith

T: pine, Meyer lemon, Slightly bent tter hops

M: a little bitterness up front but good carbonation and well balanced

O: unsuspectingly good IPA, very good

4.69/5  rDev +19.9%

My favourite Flying Monkeys brew to date, an exquisitiely good hop explosion with an incredibly satisfying mouthfeel.

Pours with good amount of clean head that becomes a fine soapy cloudy when the head dies down. Stays around for the whole drinking experience. Cloudy from a lot of hop sediment specks, colour is a dark carrot orange.

You can smell the tantalizing Citra hops right away and the rest of the aromas are drowned out, I can only say that everything else just smells clean and inviting.

The first sip delivers a strong kick of the promised hops and the 6.0% ABV is evident just in the impact that you get right away. There is a lot of delicious citrous flavour in this as can be expected. The hops are central to this beer but are complemented nicely with 'Crystal' malt as the named backbone.

My experience is usually first citrousy malt combination followed by a cleansing hop punch that continues to the back of the tongue. I absolutely love this IPA and keep coming back to it despite all the amazing new beers piling up in my cellar that I keep meaning to get to.

I love burbing when I drink this beer, it tastes just as good bubbling back up as it does going down.

You can get these at most LCBO's for $12.75 for a six pack. Great value for one of Ontario's absolute best craft beers.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had this beer multiple times from the bottle, both from the bottle and in a glass.

The beer smells of citrus with the nice bitterness of the hops. A nice citrus taste to start, with a nice (but not overly) bitter finish. The beer has a fairly thin mouthfeel, but that seems to work well for this beer.

The citrus mixes with the bitterness nicely and makes it a very easy drinking IPA - one of my favourites.

The bottle art is also unique and cool, if you care about that kind of stuff. I personally do.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

The words that do not mean beer is the label, too forceful. The beer is balanced, built with great skill and rpofessionality. I enjoy more convincing and complex beers but this one really is.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

355ml bottle. Bottled on 2015-04-17.

A: Clear amber. Poured a lot of foam, medium retention.
S: Pineapple. Moderate citrus. Slightly piney.
T: Pineapple and grapefruit. Toasted malty. A touch of sweetness. Medium high bitterness. Pretty rich in flavors.
M: Moderate body. Medium carbonation, refreshing but not sharp.
O: Great IPA. Drinkink it second time at non-fresh date, but it's rather good and rich.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Big thanks to SebD for providing us this beer to enjoy.

A: A deep amber on the pour with 2-3 fingers of off white head leaving plenty of lacing.

S: Pronounced pine resin followed by tropical fruits including g pineapple and mango. Background scents of sweet solid malts and slight hints of a barnyard funk.

T: Follows the nose with subtle initial malts quickly followed by pine forward hops. Lingering bitterness on the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: A more hop forward IPA than I'm used to with a focus on pine resin notes. While I would have liked to see a bit more balance, hop heads will definitely find something to love here.

Smashbomb Atomic IPA from Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery