Smashbomb Atomic IPA | Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Added by Sammy on 05-31-2010

Reviews by msquared36:
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had a taste of this at a recent brewfest, but when I saw it as a bottle in a Mix-a-Six cooler, I jumped all over it out of an inherent sense of curiosity & wonderment.

From the bottle & packaging: "Man Made! Madness Crafted! Barely Under Control!"; "Normal Is Weird."; "Smashbomb Atomic IPA flares with flavor from the bizarre Citra hops. Brewed with strong Crystal malt backbone, the fiery body of this brilliant ale gleams with light."; "Pick Me up!"; "A brewer gone mad! In his newest and most daring beer! Can't stop the hops! Release the Flying Monkeys! Something has gone terribly wrong ... to make a beer so very right!"; "Smashbomb Atomic IPA is the first in a series of Flying Monkeys beers that will start to challenge the minds and palates of Ontario drinkers."; "We're giving reign to the Revolutionary Spirit of the Ontario 'Brewingistas' who are fighting the Craft Brewing misconception that the tamer fizzy yellow beers are what the market demands. We'll stop just short of calling Smashbomb an extreme beer, but it's a wicked hoppy creation using the bizarre Citra hop that's moving us there."; "Warning! Take Cover! This Is Not a Test! The first aroma shockwave that hits your face is full of the rare, explosive Citra hops. With alpha acids clocking in at 11%, Citra's cacophony of flavours dominate this beer. Packing a real fruit punch, Citra adds passion fruit, lime, melon, grapefruit, mango, and papaya notes to the Smashbomb Atomic hit. But don't be fooled. An IPA needs a strong malt backbone, so mad additions of Crystal and Victory specialty malts ignite the fiery body of this 6% ABV ale making Smashbomb Atomic gleam with its own golden energy."; "A Wild Hop Experiment -- Unleashed! We bombarded Smashbomb Atomic IPA with hops at an insane 8 different stages in brewing. Why? Well, why not? Then we took our experiment in harnessing the Hops one further. We unleashed our dry-hopping Secret Creation, the Hoppopotamus, upon this brew. This monkey-made beast circulates fermenting Smashbomb through a bed of whole leaf Citra and Centennial hops stripping all the aromatic oily resins from these juicy buds. Result: we get that aromatic hop explosion and those titillating tropical flavours while still controlling the residual hop bitterness."; "The Flying Monkeys can't stop the hops! The Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery is locally run by a few beer-lovin' friends and a family of unwavering Beer Disciples. Our philosophy? Keep the microbrewery revolution going - there's always room for more fresh and different beer in the 'Brewscape' of Ontario. We started a microbrewery so we could craft the kind of beers we, ourselves, have always wanted to buy and drink. So Heads up, Fellow Beer Geeks -- and release the Flying Monkeys! Peter Chiodo Founder & Brewer Hop Squad, Chief Experimental Hoptological Researcher"

I pried off the cap, but to my surprise, no Monkeys, Flying or otherwise, appeared. I went with a gentle pour since I was busy queueing up Blondie's "Atomic" to listen to during my review. I have been a fan of theirs since 1978, so I continued with an in-glass swirl that raised just under two fingers of dense, light-tan head with decent retention, leaving behind nice lacing as it fell. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was certainly explosive with a hoppy fruitiness! My hophead mouth instantly began to water. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was clearly hop-driven with an abundance of fruity flavors, especially grapefruit, but also with passion fruit, lime, melon, mango, and papaya notes as advertised. I was kind of surprised by its relatively low bitterness, but it was eminently quaffable as a result. Finish was dry, but subtle, still very easy-drinking. I'd like to see this in a CAN!

My first try of this Canadian brewer.Pours into a standard pint a clear copper color with a nicely formed creamy half finger white head that left one full and one broken ring of lace as it settled into a frothy mass.A nice shot of pine resin in the nose along with a big caramel base,I like the combination,it's old school left coast to me.A mix of pine and citric hops on the palate with some sugary sweetness underneath with a bit of biscuit and some nice toasted notes.Hey this is the type of IPA I can drink alot of,it's just solid in all facets,a good big hop profile but not over the top in sweetness and/or alcohol.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz bottle, with "Bottled" on dating etched onto the label.

NIce looking pour, rich, darker amber, sturdy khaki cap, leaves larger bubble, froth, and low sheeting.

Resiny pine and citric hop nose.

Sturdy IPA, with more then ample hop flourishes..and a nice smooth malt base providing the balance...worthy IPA

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Finally managed to snag the elusive Smashbomb sixpack after months of LCBO delays and yet another haphazard release. I've had this brew many times before on draught at my favorite watering hole, but it's closed for the late-summer break, so I've been nursing a hop fix for a few weeks - time to indulge.

The packaging generated controversy before even seeing the shelves, with its mushroom cloud of hops decimating a garishly coloured city landscape. The whole thing seems straight out of an MST3K flick, which to me is straight up awesome. This looks to me like some of the sixpacks I picked up in the States - bold, exciting, unique.

Poured into a Flying monkeys souvenir glass. Copper-amber, very nice colour to it, with the pour generating a sturdy head that retains itself splendidly. Lots of sticky lacing - this is one fantastic looking brew.

Nose is pure citra, a hop I've brewed with many times before and have come to really dig. Lemon, grapefruit and assorted citrus and tropical fruit flavors capture one's complete attention, with a mild caramel malt providing a solid backing.

This is the hop blast Ontario has been waiting for. Having had several American IPAs from the states over the past few weeks, I still rank Smashbomb among their great company. Nice and malty, good fresh tropical fruit flavors and closing with a citra hop bitterness with just a touch of pepper. Though some might want a greater hop puckeryness, I find my personal tastes demand more balance in my IPA, and I feel that Smashbomb nails it.

Medium bodied, slightly creamy.

A brew folks from Ontario can be proud to call their own - definitely would feel no hesitation in recommending this to our American friends. Well done Peter and the rest of the crew - your perseverance in getting this brew out was well worth it!

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - beers pours a gorgeous copper colour, very clear and nice. head is a slight off-white, about 2 fingers and has some very good lasting power. Minimal to no carbonation present.

Smell - Hops, pine, some citrus light caramel. very well balanced smelling beer. reminds me a LOT of Red Racer IPA actually.

Taste - what an amazing beer! taste is light but balanced, comes in with some hops, pine then finish with the caramel/citrus punch. there is a little lasting flavour too.

Mouthfeel - Tremendous levels added here, so good. tones of volume and fullness. the flavour remains the same with a well balanced approach.

Overall - I am in love, this is a solid beer that offers so much. A lot like Red Racer IMO that is such a good beer. This is a great find and hope they continue to stock it at the LCBO! SpinRSX, I have your 3 waiting!

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%