Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA | Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by Sammy on 05-31-2010

Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 552
3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This didn't really bring anything to the table. Especially if you're used to craft beers on the East coast and Michigan.
Appearance: Very clear. It put me off. I like full bodied IPA's.
Smell: Weaker than say a Sweetwater IPA.
Taste: Decent. Hoppy, but not as hoppy as the Spearhead hawaiian style ale. I mean, come on. 'Super Atomic IPA' and it's weak? I was a bit let down.
Mouthfeel: It's very clear, filtered and refined. Very similar to a Sweetwater IPA, but a bit darker.

Overall, I shouldn't complain. I drank a good IPA brewed in Ontario. It was like I visited my parents in Nebraska and wasn't used to what the local breweries put out, therefore was scared and pessimistic. I gave it a 3.5 as I was happy to see that Canadians like a good IPA. And I was even happier to drink a this along side the Spearhead Hawaiian style ale in the same sitting.

I'm glad I can travel to the greater north and enjoy a great IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Bought the last bottle in the store...like someone had bought the last five bottles in a six pack....LOL and I got the last bottle...which I quickly scooped up....

a-pours a beautiful copper amber colour, minimal head.

s-citrus, light malt flavours...some spicey/peppery notes at the end.

t-Hops dominate obviously...slightly balanced by some malty sweetness. Def in favour of the hops

m-feels heavier as per the abv.

o-overall this beer is tremendous...especially given that it's a Canadian IPA which are beginning to come into their own prominence.

I really enjoyed this and would love to see it become as easy to find as the Hoptical Illusion.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

A - a hazy deep copper, tall off white head that retained extremely well leaving big gobs of lacing all over
S - strong hints of citrus rind, toffee, pineapple, mild spice
T - similar to the nose with the citrus more toned down, also an earthy hop note
M - medium body with a lowish carbonation, an easy drinking smooth finish with a very light bitter
O - a very tasty IPA from a Canadian brewer that am I gaining more respect for with each brew, big props to andrenaline for including this in our latest cross country swap

4.69/5  rDev +18.7%

My favourite Flying Monkeys brew to date, an exquisitiely good hop explosion with an incredibly satisfying mouthfeel.

Pours with good amount of clean head that becomes a fine soapy cloudy when the head dies down. Stays around for the whole drinking experience. Cloudy from a lot of hop sediment specks, colour is a dark carrot orange.

You can smell the tantalizing Citra hops right away and the rest of the aromas are drowned out, I can only say that everything else just smells clean and inviting.

The first sip delivers a strong kick of the promised hops and the 6.0% ABV is evident just in the impact that you get right away. There is a lot of delicious citrous flavour in this as can be expected. The hops are central to this beer but are complemented nicely with 'Crystal' malt as the named backbone.

My experience is usually first citrousy malt combination followed by a cleansing hop punch that continues to the back of the tongue. I absolutely love this IPA and keep coming back to it despite all the amazing new beers piling up in my cellar that I keep meaning to get to.

I love burbing when I drink this beer, it tastes just as good bubbling back up as it does going down.

You can get these at most LCBO's for $12.75 for a six pack. Great value for one of Ontario's absolute best craft beers.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at The Only Cafe in Toronto. Amber-coloured body with a light haze and a good cover of beige head.

Lots of tropical fruit on the nose: lychee, guava and mango. Light candy malt.

More tropical character in the mouth, with some very nice hops presenting lychee, mango and guava again along with some grassiness, a little pepper and a solid bitterness. Under-malted a bit, featuring a dry biscuty malt; I'd prefer a little more sweetness to accent those juicy tropical flavours. A touch of alcohol and grapefruit pith on the finish.

Medium light body with a moderate carbonation. Okay feel, though not a standout.

This is good stuff, I'd be happy to have this available in Quebec. Not completely balanced in the way I like but the hops are very nice. This would probably be my choice relatively-inexpensive, readily-available go-to beer if I lived in Ontario.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Undated bottle consumed Nov. 19, 2011 at Inaugural Bottle Share. From notes. Thanks cenquist!

A: Copper and clear with a small head. Light lacing.
S: Grapefruit, caramel, some booze.
T: Some sweet malt with light fruit notes and a distinct bitterness, that is almost harsh.
M: Bitter and dry
O: An IPA, but it is really missing the hop flavours I have come to expect from a great IPA. As time passes and it warms it begins to become hot and boozy...

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: It has a nice orange/copper colour to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of citrucy/tropical hops with some nice floral undertones, crystal malts and some light caramely notes.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a nice hoppy character and bitterness with nice citrusy,tropical fruit and grapefruit notes. The malts also bring a nice sweet balance to it.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with very nice balance of flavors.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavours and aromas.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

I picked this one bottle on my last trip down to Toronto...

A - Pours a dark orange, slightly cloudy body, with a pretty thick light tan head. Very nice head retention and lacing.

S - The nose is dominated by ripe grapefruit, with hints of mango and caramel/toffee. Very hoppy and quite malty.

T - This beer packs a pretty strong hop kick, bursting with grapefruit, passion fruit, mango, and papaya notes. Quite bitter, yet very sweet. The after-taste is dominated by bread and caramel notes, courtesy of crystal malts. If you take small sips, you will probably taste a range of other fruit notes, including pineapple and orange. Very well brewed and balanced.

M - Light-to-medium bodied, medium level of carbonation. Quite high on the bitter side (with 70 IBU's), yet it is well balanced by the sweet malt backbone. Dry, but not too dry. Virtually no hint of alcohol.

O - I'm genuinely impressed by this beer. It's a very yummy almost-single-hop IPA, and the best beer to come out of the Flying Monkeys brewery to date. I'm glad that with each year we see more and more worthy Canadian IPA's. This one is highly recommended!

Thanks to Phil for a bottle of this! My bottle says 6%, not 6.2.

Nice coppery color, clear with a decent head into my pint glass. Not a lot of lacing.

Tropical nose, with a little bit of butter.

Bitter, but sweet. Obviously a Citra beer. Has that upfront tropical salty bitterness, followed by a silky butteryness afterwards. Just a hint of crystal malt in there balancing out the sweet/sour Citra hop character.

Nice mouthfeel. Proper amount of carbonation.

Overall a very good IPA, from Canada eh!

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Draft

Appearance - Clear copper colour with an average size frothy and fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, oranges, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and some piney hops. There is also a touch of pineapple flavour and a some grapefruit and oranges. It ends with a sweet caramel/malt and citrusy aftertaste and there is some lingering hop bitterness.

Overall - One the better beers available to me locally. I find this beer is right up there with Mad Tom and Crazy Canuck taste wise, but it adds a little bit of a different dimension with more malt and caramel flavour. Was happy I got try this one on tap - not sure how fresh the keg was though.

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

After tasting their bland "Hoptical Illusion" I was a bit on the fence on Smashbomb until I tried it last weekend. This is an amazing beer full of life and hops! I find this beer highly complex and full of body and character. The hops explode in your mouth and this has all the characteristics that beer snob (like me) live for.

Highly recommended on tap and as i write this I am enjoying a bottle and it is pretty darn good too !

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%

Courtesy of pushkinwow. Bottled September 26, 2011, and poured into a tulip.

A - Beautiful, crystal-clear ruby-orange, with a few fingers of very solid, cloud-white head. The head is quite persistent, and leaves a little nice lacing as I sip.

S - Ooh, grapefruit. Lots of grapefruit and orange, maybe even a touch of lemon. Basically, citrus. There's also some crystal malt backing up the hops, but this is citra's show. Rather nice.

T - Whoops, I've drunk 2/3 of the glass before writing anything down. Once again, loads of citrusy hops. It's pretty balanced, though; the bitterness is present, but plays nicely with the crystal malt. This is a very good IPA.

M - A little thin, but substantial enough. Not much carbonation, and almost no hint of alcohol.

Overall, I'm happy. This is quite a good showing from my neighbors to the north.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

355ml bottle poured into tulip 12/10/11

A clear reddish copper with just a few bubbles but a long lasting thumbs width of dense cream colored head that leaves several partial rings of lace well down the glass

S floral pine, some sweet citric rind with a little pineapple and toffee. smell is quite strong and thankfully quite good

T the tastes just a little toned down with lots of rind, a little less tropical fruit and a little more toffee

M medium bodied and it leaves a little behind in your mouth, could use just a little more carbonation but not flat by any means

O great IPA and all the better being Canadian, I'd be drinking this often If I could get it, great nose on a well rounded beer

thanks liamt07 for sending me a bottle of this bad boy it was solid. I hope I can get these guys out West one day but I won't be holding my breath

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

Clear dark copper colour with a large, fluffy light tan head. Good head retention.

Malty, caramel malts with some diacetyl. Piney, resinous hops. Too malty.

Big bitterness without the corresponding hop flavour. A little citrus and pine. Lots of sweet malt and moderate diacetyl.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A little slick.

A big, bitter IPA with a lot of malt and bitterness but this lacks the clarity of the best IPAs and the hop character needed. The diacetyl is also a disappointment.

Bottle: Poured an amber color ale with large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of citrus and bitter hoppy notes is very nice. Taste is also a good mix between some lightly sweet caramel malt notes with some citrus and bitter hoppy notes dominating. Body is quite full with good carbonation with no apparent alcohol. Very nice beer though less bitter notes and more floral notes would have been better IMHO.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Smashbomb is an IPA, but with a blast of Citra hops in. Poured a yellowish-ruby, slightly orange, but a bit of red with a nice thick head that did not dissipate at all throughout consumption.

Flavour is malty, with distinct notes of Crystal, Pale Malts and either a black or german malt. There is a VERY distinct hop aroma and flavour. Inlcuding, but not limited to, notes of grapefruit, lemon/lime, pineapple and mango.

The first taste is definitely bitter. But a lighter, blossoming explosion of malt comes through. The overall impression was one of a flavourful and rich brew that slowly fades away.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick a velvety with very little alcohol backbone. Strong notes of hops and excellent texture.

Overall, this brew is exceptional, let it sit to room temperature and it gets even better! The fruit and floral notes come through even more so and the dry hoppiness becomes true happiness! Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

beautiful dark copper colour, good amount of light tan head - leaves a nice even film of lacing afterwards.

super citrusy hops, tons of grapefruit in the smell. really nice.

taste is similar with the citrus/grapefruit and perhaps a bit of lemon now. malt is more apparent now but still nice and hoppy. good carbonation and drinkability.

overall it was pretty tasty - i enjoyed it and will be picking up some more sometime.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this one.

Poured from a 355ml. bottle, bottled Aug. 17, 2011.

Appearance: A rather clear, orange-amber body but the beauty is the head. Easily 4 fingers that last a while, bubbles a bit and leaves chunks of lacing on the glass.

Smell: A smattering of resiny hops with melon, orange and grapefruit. Not very bitter, more on the sweet side.

Taste: Nice initial bitterness that doesn't last long before the malt takes over. Still a nice kick though. Juicy orange & grapefruit are present as well as a hint of minerals in the back.

Mouthfeel: At first, the bitterness seems to be short-lived but comes back after the sip and sticks around on the palate. Strong in the front and middle, could be better in the finish but still great.

Overall: Not aggressive but does have the bitterness. Worth checking out for sure.

2.69/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Courtesy of northyorksammy (thanks!) - poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Dark orange liquid capped by a tall layer of pale beige merengue. Lovely messy lacing, superior retention.

Catty, vegetal aromatics - lots of C-hops, acid, and hints of DMS.

Soapy, perfume-laden palate entry. Hints of bile amidst more pleasant hop flavors and a grassy/bready pale malt base.

Medium-light-bodied, well carbonated, lightly effervescent.

What I at first thought might be off-notes are integral to the flavor profile - not something I'd drink again.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Serve a very dark IPA at first, then it cleared to a nice golden amberish. Good head at first, then very shy since the head let itself die to a shy foamy residual head.

Smell is very citra, hoppy, bitter, but very fresh, fruity and peppery.

Taste is quite unbalanced, smooth at first then the citra hops hits you with no balance and no aftertaste.

I expected more, a good session IPA

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Bottled on Aug 17, 2011. Drank Sept 1st into Unibroue tulip.

Appearance: 3.5

Medium darkness, amber-brown clear body with 1’ yellow cream white head. Good lacing.

Smell: 3.5

Moderate citrus aroma with notes of mango, tangerine, orange, and without an overtly grapefruit presence. Very characteristic of the Citra hops used. Also detect a touch of bready/caramel malt.

Taste: 3.5

Initially, starts with a touch of citrus and sweetness. Quite quickly, a moderate to strong amount of bitterness becomes apparent. This tends to be a touch on the more piney/woody side, with the citrus aspect fading out. Throughout, you get a faint backbone of malt. Finishes with a notable, partly dry bitterness. Somewhat one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel: 3.5

Overall, average, if not a bit on the thin side. Slight creaminess. Has a mild to moderate astringency.

Overall: 3.5

Not a bad IPA, but I expected more. This is the first time I have had it in bottles, and based on the bottling date, it should be reasonably fresh. Now it was not in the refrigerated section of the LCBO, but most beers aren’t so I can’t really use that as an excuse. I have had it on tap before and I remember it being better, I think. I will review the other bottles in the 6-pack to see if they are any different and also try to have it on tap again. It is a above-average IPA, esp for Ontario. But I don’t think it compares to Red Racer or other American IPAs. I would have it again because it’s easier than driving to USA. Interesting to compare to limited release of Miami Weiss, which I remember was quick good last year on tap.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Finally managed to snag the elusive Smashbomb sixpack after months of LCBO delays and yet another haphazard release. I've had this brew many times before on draught at my favorite watering hole, but it's closed for the late-summer break, so I've been nursing a hop fix for a few weeks - time to indulge.

The packaging generated controversy before even seeing the shelves, with its mushroom cloud of hops decimating a garishly coloured city landscape. The whole thing seems straight out of an MST3K flick, which to me is straight up awesome. This looks to me like some of the sixpacks I picked up in the States - bold, exciting, unique.

Poured into a Flying monkeys souvenir glass. Copper-amber, very nice colour to it, with the pour generating a sturdy head that retains itself splendidly. Lots of sticky lacing - this is one fantastic looking brew.

Nose is pure citra, a hop I've brewed with many times before and have come to really dig. Lemon, grapefruit and assorted citrus and tropical fruit flavors capture one's complete attention, with a mild caramel malt providing a solid backing.

This is the hop blast Ontario has been waiting for. Having had several American IPAs from the states over the past few weeks, I still rank Smashbomb among their great company. Nice and malty, good fresh tropical fruit flavors and closing with a citra hop bitterness with just a touch of pepper. Though some might want a greater hop puckeryness, I find my personal tastes demand more balance in my IPA, and I feel that Smashbomb nails it.

Medium bodied, slightly creamy.

A brew folks from Ontario can be proud to call their own - definitely would feel no hesitation in recommending this to our American friends. Well done Peter and the rest of the crew - your perseverance in getting this brew out was well worth it!

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

a - poured a one finger head of nice bubbles - receded quickly to a nice thick collar - amber colour

s - huge citra hops - pine, grapefruit - nice

t - some malt backing the big citrus flavor - grapefruit, orange, mango towards the end

m - plenty of good bitterness here - still pretty smooth - some carbonation and light to medium body

o - excellent! really enjoyed this and I am becoming a fan of the style

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

355ml bottle, thanks to tbeckett for the trendy Ontario hookup! I like how Flying Monkeys is becoming the Stone-Lite version of beer label marketing up here and over there, north of 49.

This beer pours a relatively clear, medium copper amber hue, with lots and lots of rising effervescence, and two fat fingers of foamy, rocky, and bubbly ecru head, which leaves some decent thick, chunky bands of webbed lace around the glass as it slowly settles.

It smells bang-on for a big (but not Imperial) IPA - strong caramel toffee malt and grapefruit pith/pine resin bitterness right off the bat, with some sassy herbal hoppiness bringing up the rear - enticing, to say the least. The taste is pretty much in line - somewhat muddled citrus rind, a further green grassy/herbal/pine hop bitterness, even more tropical melon and berry fruit notes, and an equal to the task bready caramel malt backbone.

The carbonation is averagely unobtrusive, in a good way, the body on the light side of medium weight, and as smooth as it can get with the aforementioned edgy hops still tugging away at my palate. It finishes more on the dry side of things, but with the bitterness starting to bleed away, invoking an immediate call to arms for more.

Well, this falls into a select, rather rarefied group of decently-made Ontario-local, American-style IPAs, and very well could be their leader, as of this printing. I'm actually conceptualizing what it would be like to be sitting back on the patio at Volo, putting back draft pints of this, if not actually in the vaunted lake country I've heard so much about, but never visited, sigh.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Pours a clear dark copper colour, finger of off-white head with decent retention and some sporadic sticky lacing.

S - Sweet citrus hops, touch of pine and grapefruit with some breaded caramel coming through on the finish.

T - The hops dominate with the grapefruit and citrus coming through nicely, the bitterness lingers but has enough sweetness to it balance it out. THe breaded caramel also lingers on the palette.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness, just the way it should be.

O - A solid IPA from an Ontario brewery. Now if only the availability of this offering wasn't so scarce in my city. I could drink this stuff all day.

Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA from Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery