Flying Monkeys BNL Imperial Chocolate Stout | Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery

Flying Monkeys BNL Imperial Chocolate StoutFlying Monkeys BNL Imperial Chocolate Stout

Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
Ontario, Canada | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Treble Clef Series: Beer 1

Barenaked Ladies Collaboration.
If I had 2 million Ecuadorian Cocoa Nibs... I would brew you an Imperial Chocolate Stout.

Brewing with BNL demanded a rare treat - organic Ecuadorian Cocoa Nibs - to create a rich, friendly Imperial Chocolate Stout as sweet and quirky as the band's music. We lovingly agreed aged this beer on a bed of luscious raw cocoa nibs creating a black velvety brew so fudge-y it makes you want to lick the inside of your glass.

Opaque as chocolate cake, this roasty brew pours topped with a whipped mocha froth. The creamy dark cocoa flavors gently warm with a steady 10% ABV. No bitterness to this stout, just a chocolate boldness the, like a happy memory or a perfect song, keeps on giving.

And like great music, this bottle is meant to be shared with special friends and family.

Added by korguy123 on 11-24-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 103
4.39/5  rDev +8.1%

750 ml bottle poured into tulip 11/19/12 from notes

A just a thumbnail of cola edge in a black body, large mocha head falls from 3 fingers to one rather quickly but then sticks around leaving partial rings deep down the glass

S I could smell this the second I popped the cap, big nose of chocolate fudge and cake with some Glossette raisins and some faint smokey bourbon, more chocolate in many forms, coco powder, Hershey syrup and the faintest hint of coffee beans...chocolate covered of coarse, this is perfection for a chocolate lover

T a small step back from the nose as there's less chocolaty goodness with just a hint of booze and over-ripe fruit with slightly more coffee

M silky smooth and creams up after a couple seconds, slight bitter bite and just a little sticky on the lips and some faint heat on the finish, great fudgey aftertaste lingers for ages, well done in this department

O I'm pretty impressed with this one, MASSIVE nose, tastes solid, feels right on the money, I have little to complain about

Even at 14$ a bottle I'll be buying a few more, its mellow fresh so I'm hoping some time will smooth out a beer that's already smooth. Looks like I got this one well before the local folks in Ontario, not sure why. If my computer wasn't in the shop last month I would have added this one nearly a week before the folks that live down the road from the brewery.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Glad I caught this one in Uptown Waterloo - served in a nonic glass and shared among friends as our dessert beer.

Normally, I start with appearance, but for this brew I'll make an exception and jump right to the nose. The second we removed the cap, it felt like the entire room suddenly smelled of rich milk chocolate. Absolutely stunning, and this carried through with every sip. Sweet chocolate, marshamallow, a touch of roasted malt, and grape, but this brew is still dominated by the chocolate. And it's amazing.

Black with a hint of chestnut around the edges. Poured a bit hot, so there was a great deal of foam to deal with, but once it settled, a sturdy light mocha cap had set up a permanent camp.

The imperial character to the brew comes out a bit more in the taste, but I still can safely call this brew a "chocolate bomb". Good mix of dark, dry chocolate and sweeter milk variety. It felt to me like I had taken a couple of big bites of chocolate and washed it down with a serviceable, roasty imperial stout.

Decent thickness, carbonation is firm enough. Creamy.

Well done, Monkeys, this brew was fantastic, and a great way to (nearly) cap off 2012. One of the better chocolate stouts I've come across, Ontario or otherwise. The pricetag is a bit high, but I'm still going to shoot for another bottle or two. I suppose if I had million dollars, I'd buy a few more. Fine, I'll stop.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Jet black colour, 2 fingers of dense tan head, good amount of lace on the glass. Smell is massive chocolate upfront, milky and dark, cocoa powder, vanilla and even a bit of cherry/fruity notes as well, chocolate cake and just tons more chocolate. Taste is of rich dark chocolate, fudge, some coffee comes through here with some roast as well, medium sweetness and not overly sweet, more stout flavours present on the palate than in the nose, touch of black liquorice and a light bitterness with a cocoa powder finish. Medium carbonation, thick full body, at times like chocolate syrup. This was a really good chocolate stout, so much chocolate flavour and an incredible nose, something I will enjoy coming back to for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours black as night, rich chocolate and coca smell. Taste is more of the same, very viscious and lush. Think Southern Tier Chokolat, but a bit less sweet, a bit more flavourful, and a little thinner (although there is nothing thin about this one!). Excellent beer, so good that it even inspired me to take the time to rate it!

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate syrup brown with two fingers of creamy mocha head. Leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Milk chocolate, cocoa nibs, prunes, cherries, little bit of musty hops. Smells like a delicious chocolate dessert.

Taste - Hit right away with the milk chocolate and cocoa flavours. Transitions to the dark fruits. Aftertaste is reminiscent of a Coffee Crisp chocolate bar - slightly bitter coffee/cocoa taste. ABV is pretty well hidden.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth texture.

Overall - A tasty collaboration between Flying Monkeys and Barenaked Ladies. Decadent chocolate flavour is the star of this brew. I would be interested in trying this with some more roasted notes - maybe another future collab! A tasty treat - pick up a bottle to share with a friend.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml bottle. I take it Steven Page has nothing to do with this little endeavour? What, too soon? BNL? Beer, now, lad!

This beer pours a deep, black abyss, with slight basal cola highlights, and three fingers of tightly foamy chocolate milk head, which settles at a loping pace, eventually leaving a solid pocked wall of painted lace around the glass.

It smells of luscious, pungent milk chocolate, like a melted Dairy Milk candy bar, some moderately overwhelmed black fruit - prunes and cherries, mostly, and a tiny earthy mustiness that I'm going to make an educated guess in attributing to hops. The taste is more big, silky chocolate, a sort of blend between sugary milk chocolate and darker, roasted bitter cocoa. Wading through this confectioner's wet dream, I get some further black fruit 'astringency', a twinge of real vanilla (the boozy kind), a little earthy hop bitterness, and a conspicuous lack of alcohol heat.

The bubbles are a wee bit frizzy, but generally quite under the radar, the body medium-heavy in weight, a bit syrupy, and pudding smooth. The foam detritus weirdly drips down the side of the glass, leaving sticky pools of goo on the table - that's a first for me. It finishes sweet, cocoa-nib chocolaty, a subtly rising warmth barely threatening the Willy Wonka hegemony.

Well, ya can't say that this isn't true to its claims - though the chocolate rather overshadows the 'imperial' and 'stout' monikers. They seem to play out in the background, ensuring that this somehow doesn't become a sweet, sickly mess, and a pretty tasty one at that, though better suited to dessert accompaniments, especially fruit.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I didn't make it down to the Summerhill LCBO to meet the Barenaked Ladies, but I did buy a few of these as soon as they hit the shelves. $13. Rather expensive for a "local" brew but I have a good feeling about this one... Boxed 750ml bottle, served at 50 degrees into a small tulip.

Appearance: As usual with a Flying Monkeys product, the packaging is both brilliant bold. Practically every printable surface of the box has text and artwork on it. It's kinda fun to sit and read it as you work your way through the beer...
Big black soupy body. fairly tan colored head rises quickly from the pour. Doesn't stick around too long but leaves some lacing in my glass. Leaves a brown stain on the side of the glass if you swish it around a bit - a sign of a good imperial stout!

Smell: "Smell" is not the right word here... This STINKS to high heaven of chocolate mousse, dark plums and cherries, raw cocoa beans, etc... If you've ever been inside a craft chocolatier, it basically smells like this beer. In fact, it's probably the most chocolate I've smelled in a beer, but it's not one dimensional - rather complex actually.

Taste: Yeah its pretty sweet, but not totally sugary sweet, more like very dark chocolate sweet (I eat the 90% stuff all the time). Quite oaky, fruity and almondy... reminiscent of a cadbury "fruit and nut" bar. The finish has a hint of bitter, I'm not sure if I would have preferred more, but more may help with the drinkability (although I'm quite certain this bottle is meant to be shared a few ways - which I wont be doing).

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thick but not too cloying. Certainly not a "refreshing" beer, and more like a desert and nightcap sort of deal. Carbonation is quite gentle; Finish lingering.

Overall: I've had A LOT of good, world class stouts this year and this one is up there with the best of them. The box says it ages well so that an invitation for me to go stock up on several more of these. Congratulations FM and BNL.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Served from a 750ml bottle in a snifter, purchased Nov. 26, 2012.

Appearance: Great. Opaque dark, with a off white brown tinted head, sticks to the glass. Everything it should be.

Smell: Holy cow! Huge chocolate nose when I poured the first glass, smacks you right in the face. Like chocolate milk on steroids. Absolutely fantastic.

Taste: Follows up right behind the nose, huge chocolate flavor. I cannot believe this is all from cocoa nibs, the flavor is so big I would think it is an extract. It doesn't have that sweet after taste like a Southern tier beer, the flavor is big but not sweet, finishes clean. Definitely a milk chocolate flavor going on here, smooth, no harsh bitterness. Big factor for me is that big beers finish clean and this one delivers.

Mouthfeel: Rich and luxurious, can't do better.

Overall: Wow, probably the second best beer I have had from a Canadian brewery (1st being St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout.) Price is steep, $13. 50 but unlike most other Ontario one-offs it delivers at that price point. I bought three and I am going back for another three, worth every penny. If you like big flavor in your beer but smooth and not too sweet, this is for you.

Edit 11/30/12: I had not read korguy123 review until just now, apparently great minds think alike.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: It has a nice jet black color to it. It has a nice thick tan head that dies down slowly and leaves some lacing.

Smell: All chocolate! Chocolate bars, chocolate milk, cocoa, some coffee and light vanilla. Amazing!

Taste: Like the aromas, it has alot of chocolate/cocoa, roasted malts, coffee, vanilla sweetness and a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel. Rich and sweet.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas. I went out on a limb and bought 5 of these before even trying it and I don't regret it at all! This beer is amazing!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Read on Facebook these were available at the brewery and rushed over on my coffee break. They were still unboxing them lol.

750ml bottle into snifter. The box it's in says 2012 release (part of a series or part of a collection?) Bottle dated 10/18/2012 and Barenaked Monkeys.

Syrupy black pour. Totally opaque, motor oil consistency. Three finger, short lived dark tan head. Lacing is very good for the alcohol content.

There is so much chocolate in this it's incredible. It's chocolate milk, chocolate syrup and chocolate bars all rolled into one. There is a slight marshmallow and graham cracker presence. Dark coffee, vanilla and a touch of brown sugar. So much chocolate.

Holy chocolate! Dark chocolate, not overly sweet, more bittersweet bakers chocolate. Makes this rich but not super cloying like Chokolat from ST. Dark roasted coffee, brown sugar and a nice vanilla flavor. Alcohol is invisible and finishes slightly dry.

Lower end of full body, decent carbonation, syrupy and sticky on the lips.

This is a real home run. The bottle size is a little big just because I have no one to share with... Oh well more for me. I will definitely be aging a few of these.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last