Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mythos Red | Mythos Breweries S.A.

Mythos RedMythos Red

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BlackHaddock on 09-28-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had in Greece in 2010.
While reviewed on the "1001 Beers To Taste Before You Die", I will review it on my next tasting.

3.26/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I guess it's red...ish. It's more like an amber/orange color, and completely clear. The head is a foamy, compact off-white one that, while small, lasts a good while. It drops some patching and a bit of light legging as it goes.
Caramel sweetness and grains make for a simple aroma. It could be cleaned up, but it's stronger than I expected, which is something. It even has a bit of herbal leaf just underneath.
There's lots of maltiness in the flavor, that caramel sweetness with lots of toastiness and a bit of dark fruit as well. It's actually quite sweet, but the unexpected hoppiness, though light, keeps it in check, as does biscuit dryness.
There's a little graininess underneath, but it's surprisingly smooth. It has a light but consistent bite of crispness in a light-medium body.

2.1/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Trying this Greek Beer, Mythos Red. Like most of the foreign beers I have had, except those from the Big three (Britain, Belgium, & Germany), it's a disappointment. I had hoped that the "Red" would impart more flavor, and it does, to a certain extent; but bottom line it still has that cheap, adjunct beer taste that lingers in the mouth.

I would love to try beers from 100 countries, but until we start getting better imports, such as some foreign craft beers that I have read about, I will have to endure a lot of mediocre/poor brew to reach my goal.

2.64/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I can't remember the last beer I had from Greece. I still haven't been to Greece. Maybe this beer gives me an excuse to go. Of course, the beer probably isn't the only reason to visit. History and the beaches are enough for me! We have reviewed a few beers from Carlsberg, but nothing to write home about. I actually didn't think this was distributed to Arizona until I saw it over at Sun Devil Liquors. It was $1.99, so I grabbed a bottle. I hope it's good! Of course, BeerAdvocate reviews aren't looking good. Cheers!

In the Glass: At first, I was excited about the head this beer was producing. Then I blinked, and it was gone. Not much going on here. Weak lace, too. There are a few tiny white bubbles sticking around just to tease me, but nothing to write home about. I hope this smells good. It came a long way for me to consume!

Nose: Well that smells like a Euro dark lager. A little bit of funk is coming through, with a hint of metallic. They talked about carmel in the tasting notes… but I am not smelling much carmel here. Of course, I have never had the pleasure of trying Greek carmel. Maybe it's different! I am not saying this smells bad, just doesn't not what I was expecting.

Flavor: The flavor is much better than the aroma. There are some definite sweet notes creeping in there, and the hops are really balanced here. There isn't much flavor in the finish, but as you drink the flavor is really well balanced. I bet this would be a good food beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer is a bit more carbonated than I wanted. Looking at this you would never know it was carbonated. Now that I look at it a little more, the color reminds me of a nice thick sweet barleywine. It is not a barleywine at all… and I am not getting much, if any sweetness. Good job, Greece… but you didn't impress me with his release.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is subtle, but has nice dryness to it. Every time I swallow I get those same metallic notes that I was smelling a little bit ago.

This beer could be dangerous. It is easy to drink, and if served by the pint or by the pitcher, I could see, with a few slices of pizza, of downing a gallon of this stuff. It might not be delicious, but it sure is easy to drink. Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

2.79/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a murky reddish amber. The off-white head dissipates immediately and there is little or no lacing. The beer smells good with loads of caramel coming through. The taste is semi-sweet with malts and caramel dominating. The mouthfeel is light bodied and even watery.

Overall, a really unbalanced beer. Loads of malts and caramel with little else. Add in the watered down mouthfeel, and this beer doesn't have a lot going for it. But, it's interesting to try beer from unassuming countries such as Greece.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

Best before date of 03/2012.

A simple pour left a finger of amber hued head. The body is a regal looking reddish orange. There are surprisingly few bubbles rising to the surface. When the head finished receding I was left with not much more than a thin frothy ring. No real lacing to report.

The rich aromas of malt and toffee were the first impressions I got. Digging deeper I got a little bread and a very light gardeny aroma.

The flavor seeks to confound. Caramel malt, and toffee along with bread and honey all seem to swirl together. A little spice on the end of the bread, with a garden herb style bitter coming through and combining with the bread and spice on the end. More complex than expected.

This beer is medium bodied and coats the mouth decently. It has a slightly bitter finish, but is overall rather sweet.

Overall I couldn't bring myself to call it average but I also couldn't really rate it as good as a 4. It feels like as you're drinking it you almost feel a potential that it just doesn't live up to.

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

I was allowed to pour my own--pretty good head that settles as expected. Leaves some streaky lace. Amber color and clear

Rich caramel aroma--very sweet nose.

Tastes better than I expected. It isn't as sweet as the smell suggests. There's also enough hop to give some good balance. Body is okay and the carbonation is slightly understated. Pretty much tastes like a sweet American amber.

I poured this really average beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a reddish color and poured a tan head head. The beer was a bready tasting affair and really had nothing exceptional, but then it really was not terrible either. Regardless it just did not stand out enough warrant buying again.

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 ounce bottle, best before end of 03/2012. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear reddish/copper color with about an inch light tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is bready and caramel malt, toffee, and some honey. The brew tastes like bready malt, toffee, and some bitter grassy hops. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit creamy with moderate carbonation. It's also smooth and easy enough to drink. Overall I think this is an OK brew and worth trying.

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Poured out a clear, burgundy color with a two-finger, khaki colored head of soapy, bubbly foam. It left thin traces of lace on the glass.

S - It had a malty aroma with notes of caramel and toffee. Some floral notes.

T - Grassy upon first sip with an English-like maltiness. Kid of had an odd bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied lager with a fairly dry finish.

O - This is an okay dark lager. It was better than their regular lager.

Had this with my excellent Gyro at Lefteris Restaurant in Tarrytown NY, about an hour before I saw Los Lonely Boys ROCK the Music Hall...and what a pleasant surprise! I expected an adjunct, but this beer was quite good. Poured a nice copper, with about a finger of head and some nice lacing. Malty smell with just a hint of hop. Slightly sweet with a caramel overtone. Good carbonation which cut through the strong lamb flavors I was eating. Very drinkable and a great compliment to the Greek food. I eat at Lefteris when I can, so I'll be ordering this up again.

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

The color is a nice copper red with a clear look in the wide-mouth pint glass it was poured into. It appears to have an off white head that lingers and laces nicely.

S: The initial aroma is a roasted grain smell that is pleasing and not over powering.

T: The first taste is a bit surprising yielding some rich malted, roasted, taste not expected in a red ale.

Good beer that is very drinkable

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a single 12 oz. into a standard tumbler.

A - This beer pours a nice reddish copper color, and generated a nice 4 finger, crowning, eggshell colored head. Head was very foamy and marshmallowy. Slight effervesence. Leaves some moderate lacing.

S - The smell of this beer is very sweet, fruity and malty, with a just a hint of honey and cloves of some kind.

T - Very sweet and malty taste. A honey like taste is noticable on the back end of the toungue. Pretty refreshing taste, but not exactly thirst quenching.

M- The mouthfeel is not bad. This beer is fairly light-med bodied and not watery at all. The slight carbonation makes this beer fairly crisp on the finish, but doesnt't really dance on your toungue.

D- The drinkability on this beer is pretty high. I only had the chance to sample one 12 oz. bottle of this, but i could easily drink a few of these and not feel too overwhelmed.

O- Overall, this beer is nothing spectacular, but certainly not the worst ive had. Definitely a good middle of the road euro lager, and certainly worth a shot. Would have again. Solid 1 thumb up.

3.89/5  rDev +19%

Pours copper in color with a good amount of head and lacing.
Smell is refreshingly tart, with a bit of an herbal scent.
Taste is somewhat short, but carries a good pack of flavor. There is a little maltiness that is followed by what I think the weak reds try to mimic. A grainy taste is apparent.
Mouthfeel is creamy, while being quite acidic feeling.

Not a bad beer at all

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Mythos Red from Mythos Breweries S.A.