Kaggen! Stormaktsporter | Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB
Sweden
kulturbryggeri.se

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

Added by baggio on 05-14-2008

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Deep black with a small brown, foamy head. Settles fast with just a bit of lacing left that also disappears fairly fast.

S - Very rich. Upfront is chocolate and fudge like smells, quite sweet. There is a very slight touch of coffee and a fair amount of tobacco as well. Also can smell some vanilla. Overall fairly sweet but very nice to smell.

T - Follows the nose a bit. Upfront it is fairly sweet with a good amount of chocolate/fudge along with some molasses. A good amount of vanilla and other oaky flavors are also quite present here, along with just a bit of whisky like taste. Just a bit of coffee is there. Also a bit of dark fruit as well. A number of flavors that fade in and out and change with each sip, with the constant really being the chocolate and the vanilla/barrel tastes.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

D - Easy to sip beer. This depends most on how you feel about sweeter tastes in beer. I really like the flavors it uses so I would gladly drink more. The ABV holds drinking multiples (but so does my wallet and availability).

Notes: Vintage 2006 - Drank 2010. A very enjoyable dessert like beer. Glad I was able to finish off my time in Sweden at Akkurat and finish of the night with one of these. Yes there are better beers, and definitely yes, you can get more value of beer for the cost of this, but it is a very nice beer that is worth trying if you have the time and money and are in Stockholm.

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

2006 version, purchased at Oliver Twist. I've got the '07 waiting for the right tasting event back home. The bottle was given to me WAY too cold, so I let it warm for a bit.

A - First, I don't generally dig snifters for my RIS consumption - they generally reduce head volume by quite a bit, and my favorite brews don't benefit much from the aroma "retention". In any case, it had a late-rising dark mocha, even slightly red, half-finger of foam that dissipated pretty quickly to a ring with a few bubbles at the surface and some "legs". Pitch black - there's some pretty lace that's generated with each sip but it quickly slides down the edges of the glass and back into the abyss. It actually looked a lot like Dave's (d0b) pour of the Cigar City 110K+OT in my Darkness snifter. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I get subpar head volume in a different vessel next time I may dock this a half point.

S - Sweet Jesus - this thing smells epic. Huge whiskey, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, honey, roasted malts, tobacco, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, and probably all the other descriptors used by my reviewing colleagues. The closest comparison I can think of was the incredible BA Decadence '07, but this brew brings a slight sour note to the table that is almost a little reminiscent of the most recent Perseguidor (batch 4). I'm not sure how much time this brew sits in the barrel, or whether Swedish whiskey is more conducive to "bugs" but it's a wonderful addition that adds a touch of depth and richness that can be lacking in other BA beers. There's not a trace of astringent alcohol either.

T - OK - you can pretty much taste everything listed in the smell, as there is really no drop-off in complexity. Whiskey, vanilla, wood, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, roastiness - they're all here. Near the back end of the palate it fleetingly moves into BA barleywine territory somehow, with the burnt molasses flavor in there, but then it finishes with huge tannins and oak - like on par with Toronado 20th here. I'm at a loss here, because I keep picking up slight sour beer elements that my fellow colleagues didn't mention - perhaps this is caused by the age, or the barrel used? In any case, it's as if someone took an amazing BA beer like Decadence and spiked it with a touch of Consecration or something.

M - There's a little heat to go with the full silky smooth body and lots of stickiness. The residual feel is that "I've been licking a piece of wood" kind of thing that shows up in barrel-aged brews. Fairly mild carbonation. No complaints here.

D - This is the only place I can really knock this brew. I was worried the 250ml bottle wouldn't be enough for me to really enjoy and reflect on, but it was plenty. The alcohol is well hidden, but the buzz creeps up pretty fast. Also, the heavy tannic finish and the somewhat mind-blowing flavor depth make this a true evening-ender. But what an evening!

It's not very often that a brew comes along that changes my perception of what a style can do. I'm not sure if the slight sour notes were intentional, or a by-product of the barrel aging process, but any beer that marries the best of brews like BA Decadence, Parabola, and Bell's BB Double/Cream Expo blend with stuff like Toronado 20th and Persguidor opens up my mind and palate to the amazing possibilities of beer. I understand this stuff is hard to get, but it should be tried be every beer lover at least once.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

2008 vintage served at Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà in Rome.

This is almost a religious experience being able to finally try Kaggen. Pours an intense dark hue with a two inch brown head and good lacing. Immediately get a big whiff of chocolate, vanilla and oak. Very aromatically pleasing. The taste follows the nose with roasted malts, dark chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. Just a wonderfully smooth integration of all the elements as you sip on this and it feels as great in the mouth as going down. The worst part about this beer is that it comes to an end after 25cl. An absolute classic brew that I am grateful to have tried.

Thanks to johndoe8 for this badass brew. 2009 vintage

A-dark body with a mocha head that disapates slowly

S-smooth oak and bourbon undertones that take a little bit of twirling to bring out

T-now that's a fucking beer. Wow. Follows the nose. Very subtle oak and bourbon tthat is just wonderful

M-medium body and smooth

O-very fucking good. Worth the €30-40? Prolly not

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks a lot, Brad! Served alongside Stormaktsporter.

2009 vintage

The beer appears quite similar to the standard version. Dark brown, nearing black, with a dark beige head that leaves an oily film gently descending the snifter.

A distinctly European aroma. It seems to me that Närke, Nøgne Ø, Mikkeller, etc. possess distinctive characteristics not found in American stouts. Hooray for diversity and the unique aspects found in beers throughout the world. Anyhow...the beer smells terrific. Roast, chocolate, barrels, a touch of booze.

The flavor does not disappoint. Thick, chewy, viscous stout that coats the palate and melts in your mouth. The barrel character is outstanding. Present, but not overbearing. Beautifully balanced. Dark fruits, chocolate, roast, malt, barrels blending together in harmony.

Highly recommended, should you have the good fortune to sample this.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to PaulMPap for bringing out this rarity.

Pours out a thick, dark, dark, dark brown with frothy tan head that laces up and has some retention.

Aroma is intriguing. Lots of dark fruit, mollasses sweetness, some chocolate and rich malt. Subtle bourbon.

Taste is excellent - dark fruit, some mollasses, a lot of sweetness, but will balanced by licorice and a bit of (hoppy?) bitterness.

Feel is incredible. Viscous, yet sitll has full and creamy carbonation.

Overall - an exceptional beer.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

MasterSki was kind enough to cap off a weekend of drunken debauchery by sharing this one. Thanks, Alex. 2007 vintage.

Into a tulip, Kaggen pours black and opaque with a small but lasting dark tan head. A gentle swirl coats the glass with oily legs and a few wispy bubbles. Sticking my olfactory receptor into the glass reveals aromas of chocolate cake, honey, caramel and whiskey. This beer is brewed with heather, and you can tell; it has a slight gruit-like quality. Further inspection brings out a light fruity tartness, not unlike aged Port, and a hint of anise and vanilla. On the tongue I get even more fruit than the aroma suggests, lightly tart and lightly sweet, somewhat vinous in quality. Chocolate, caramel and vanilla follow with barrel tannins and a pleasant and subtle roasty astringency balancing the sweetness. Whiskey is present throughout, but the mellowness is amazing; this beer has no noticeable heat. The mouthfeel is velvety and full, but not American full-bodied; I could actually drink a pint of this without worrying about rising insulin levels. Just an all-around exceptional beer, far exceeding my expectations and well worth the exorbitant hype.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Review of 06' Kaggen!

I feel the most recent reviews of this beer have been a bit stingy, so I will go ahead and share my Kaggen! experience.
When I found out that my fiance was going to be in Stockholm for a work conference, I knew that meant I was finally going to get to try Kaggen! I attempted to make a trip out to Orrebro and go to the brewery, but that didn't work out. So, off to Akkurat (went two days of the five we were there, wouldn't have been able to afford any more!)

This most epic of beers poured a thick jet black with a nice off white tan head, pretty nice retention as well.

The aroma was of brown sugar, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and a lingering whiskey note.

The nose matched the taste with an amazing milky, dare I say silky mouthfeel. Seriously, this was like drinking some sort of silky whiskey chocolate milk. The mouthfeel and body was probably the most impressive and interesting I have ever had.

Notes of milk and dark chocolate with undertones of charcoal. Nice mellow whiskey presence throughout with some oak, vanilla, and a rich caramel presence.

Finishes just as it started with a long rich chocolate note, nice warming whiskey presence, and a touch of grains...rye.

Overall; incredibly rich and complex yet well balanced. At 5 years in perfect cellar condition, this beer has developed into one of the most layered stouts I have ever had. It's one solid note after the other! Not exactly sure what a fresh bottle would be like, but I did have a bottle of the 15th anniversary of Akkurat & 5th of Narke collaboration Konjaks! (Cognac Barrel Aged Stormakstporter)

All in all, theoretically it is worth the price tag and I will tell you why. I spent a few days in Sweden and spoke to a lot of people about how the alcohol laws work, etc. Basically this beer is so expensive because of the warped system in Sweden and in order to support the amazing brewery of Narke and restaurant Akkurat it was more than worth the 375 kroner. It's not their fault that the government won't allow them to just sell his limited barrel aged stout at their brewery for 20 bucks like everyone in the states does...I'm sure that if he could, they would.

If you find yourself in Stockholm, splurge and order a bottle to support Narke and Akkurat (and of course because it is an amazing beer) for offering amazing beer and refuge to beer lovers in Stockholm, despite a warped monopoly on alcohol in Sweden...

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2008 Vintage bottle

The only beer I wanted to drink for my birthday, I had saved this for most of the last year, waiting for the day I could open it. Served cold and poured into a six ounce snifter, this one was consumed on 06/11/2010.

Pours the darkest, thickest, oiliest looking black right out of the bottle. This combines with a thick chocolate colored head that really just gives it that full and complete look. A monster looking stout and I was in heaven as the blacklights shine off the side of my glass. It should be noted half of this was enjoyed while I was walking around an arcade at 11:30 at night, the rest back at the room.

Aroma is exceptional and I would have expected nothing less. Deep notes of roasted malts, burnt licorice, oak, hints of leather and deep coffee and chocolate. Massively complex and rich. Warming brings out like touches of vanilla that are kissing the sides of it. Huge body and flavor here. Thick and exceptionally full bodied. This was an immense beer in every sense of the word. Deep and dark, foreboding with the huge flavor of roasted malts and rich vanilla and oak notes flooding my palate. Simply amazing. Sweet vanilla and sugary notes coming into play now and leaving a rich chocolate and vanilla filled finish that left my palate clean.

Overall every bit worthy of the hype. Easily one of the best 5 RIS I have ever had. Cannot imagine how good the regular version is as I have heard it blows the doors off this.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2006 vintage, small bottle (8 ounces?) thanks big time to Eric. What can I say? Footbalm brings a beer like this and doesn't make a big deal out of it, he just sits back has a beer, and says "don't worry about it". Eric defines the greatness of this site, thanks a ton man. Anyway, Pours a very dark brown color with a medium beige head floating on top. A sweet cocoa nose, dark fruit, huge burnt molasses- very nice. A wonderful flavor; massive roasted molasses, caramel, dark fruit, juicy and yet somehow loads of dry chocolate and cocoa. Very smooth, actually no heat at all- the smoothest beer at 10% ever made I'm sure. Reminded me of a aged Expedition Stout- and that is a massive compliment. Awesome. I dream of having this on draft, or a big 750ml bottle. Wonderful.

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%

Look everyone, I'm finally in the Kaggen! club. I had pretty much written off this beer to some distant future, after the kids had grown and left the nest the wife and I take a trip to Europe for a month and I would drink the rarest Cantillons and shot gun bottles of Kaggen!...distant distant future, far after the Mayan calendar destroys us all and most of Europe is underwater as a direct result of the war with cyborgs. BUT, Thorpe429 moved that time table up 30 years with a casual invite to come over and help him slay this treasure. I was eager to provide my assistance. Thanks Mike. Might not get another opportunity to do this for several years / decades, I am very appreciative.

Served in a tulip, 2007 vintage. Beer is black. Thin head that breaks and floats toward the walls of the glass, no lacing, the head is a little sad, hard to motivate, carbonation is low, looks like a big stout to me!

Yep, this beer smells perfect. I could have smelled it all day long, just smelled it. I didn't want to drink it, I was afraid I couldn't smell it anymore. This feeling was universal I have to say. There was chocolate and vanilla in there, a healthy but not overly oakiness as well. There is sweetness and mild alcohol but its not cloying or hot at all. Its very "complex" -- it almost turns to a liquor aroma after a while, a mild whiskey or something slightly fruitier, but its not oxidized.

Beer is a little lighter in the body than I was expecting but I suppose I should have been expecting the way it was due to the ABV being so high. Leads off with a definite sweetness, mild alcohol but its not drying. Great palate connectivity, the beer sort of coats the tongue, lingering with these subtle fruit flavors and general sweetness, creamy in the mouth, no help from carbonation at this point but this beer doesn't even need it. Its a very good beer. Have it again? Definitely. If I ever get a hold of a bottle of this, it will be shared with a group of beer nerds who fantasize about this as much as I had.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

2005 Vintage had on 5 June 2011 at Pikkulintu.

A - Black as night with a thick dark caramel-colored head leaving crevaces as it fades. This beer has big caramel legs as you drink.

S - The first blast is of sherry/fig/cherry with a mix of vanilla/bourbon to follow. As you smell a bit more, there are hints of cardboard, which only slightly detract from the amazing aroma.

T - Truly sublime. Lots of fantastic sweetness up front with a bitter chocolate finish. There's a nice smokey tobacco that pleasantly lingers on the tongue.

M - Full-bodied, and great carbonation. The finish is much drier than expected, but works quite well.

O - This was the best beer I'd had to date (outdone by Konjaks a few days later) and just phenomenal. I think that there is fantastic oxidation in the beer, but the hints of cardboard make me think that this could be taking a turn (though I've never had any other vintage to compare). Still just a fantastic brew.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was a long time want, generously shared by Shyne. 2009 vintage. Drunk in May 2012 to get warmed before the epic Sour&Bitter festival. Reviewed from notes.
A: Pours black, dark with faint brown glints. There is a small brown head which settles into a thin collar.
S: The smell is woody, oaky, on vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Rich and gourmet scene.
T: The taste follows the nose with loads of dark chocolate and vanilla upfront. Next sips bring more roasted and toasted malts, with slightly burnt and toasted bread. A bit boozy on the aftertaste, but nothing disturbing.
M: Mouthfeel is sweet, oily, very smooth.
O: Very smooth and sweet, deep. I would land this again with great pleasure!

2007 vintage.

A: Pitch black, opaque and viscous. A couple of centimeters of beige head settles into some lacings.

S: The smell is wonderful. Sweet roasted malts with very smooth bourbon notes, oak, lots of dark chocolate and some dark fruits. Pleasant vanilla aromas and honey. The alcohol is noticeable, but well integrated. A gentle barrel-aged character. The smell is very complex and perfectly layered, everything is in its right place.

T: The taste lives up to my high expectations. All the great flavors of an oak-aged imperial stout are present, but presented in a way few if any other beers I have sampled can match. Lovely sweet and thick malts with a prominent yet subtle roasted character. Lots of chocolate and fudge, and notes of dark fruit. The bourbon flavors gather momentum in the middle and delivers big notes of vanilla and some almonds. Honey, burnt sugar and molasses add another sweet layer to this incredibly complex beer. The very long finish is outstanding with some bitterness, warming alcohol, notes of licorice, boozy raisins, roasted malts and everlasting bourbon notes. The flavors in the mouth is really great, but the finish is just unbelievable - truly amazing.

M: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. The carbonation livens up the beer and does a great job at spreading all the flavors in the mouth.

D: This is really as good as the rumor has it. It's tasty, complex and amazingly balanced. But the pièce de résistance is the tight fit between the flavors and aromas, and the way they present themselves in a perfect flow without any cracks. From start to finish, there isn't anything that seems out of place, nothing ought to have been done in another way.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

2008 vintage bottle (perfect for my 300th rating). What a wonderful dark brown pour with a frothy brown head. Like the Stormaktsporter this also has that great oily lacing. The nose is enticing with oak, vanilla, and fig aromas. This is a thick chewy stout which has fantastic balance considering how big the roasted malt body is. Flavors of dark bitter chocolate, oak, and vanilla compliment the bold roasted malt notes..
Update. Just tasted the 2007 vintage. It was starting to fade...

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB