Kaggen! Stormaktsporter | Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB
Sweden
kulturbryggeri.se

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

Added by baggio on 05-14-2008

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%

Look everyone, I'm finally in the Kaggen! club. I had pretty much written off this beer to some distant future, after the kids had grown and left the nest the wife and I take a trip to Europe for a month and I would drink the rarest Cantillons and shot gun bottles of Kaggen!...distant distant future, far after the Mayan calendar destroys us all and most of Europe is underwater as a direct result of the war with cyborgs. BUT, Thorpe429 moved that time table up 30 years with a casual invite to come over and help him slay this treasure. I was eager to provide my assistance. Thanks Mike. Might not get another opportunity to do this for several years / decades, I am very appreciative.

Served in a tulip, 2007 vintage. Beer is black. Thin head that breaks and floats toward the walls of the glass, no lacing, the head is a little sad, hard to motivate, carbonation is low, looks like a big stout to me!

Yep, this beer smells perfect. I could have smelled it all day long, just smelled it. I didn't want to drink it, I was afraid I couldn't smell it anymore. This feeling was universal I have to say. There was chocolate and vanilla in there, a healthy but not overly oakiness as well. There is sweetness and mild alcohol but its not cloying or hot at all. Its very "complex" -- it almost turns to a liquor aroma after a while, a mild whiskey or something slightly fruitier, but its not oxidized.

Beer is a little lighter in the body than I was expecting but I suppose I should have been expecting the way it was due to the ABV being so high. Leads off with a definite sweetness, mild alcohol but its not drying. Great palate connectivity, the beer sort of coats the tongue, lingering with these subtle fruit flavors and general sweetness, creamy in the mouth, no help from carbonation at this point but this beer doesn't even need it. Its a very good beer. Have it again? Definitely. If I ever get a hold of a bottle of this, it will be shared with a group of beer nerds who fantasize about this as much as I had.

4.52/5  rDev -2%

Footbalm (RB guy) brought this to a massive RIS tasting last weekend... This was the first bottle we cracked.. Fucking huge thanks Eric!! Never thought I would see one of these in person let alone get a chance to sip and savor it.. Reviewed from notes.

'06 vintage pours pretty much black with very clear mahogany highlites when held to a bulb... dark tan head drops leaving little lacing... leggy when swirled

Rich chocolate fudge.. subtle smoke and oak.. "I could smell this for hours"

Nice vanilla at the front... big and malty with only hints of char... milk chocolate cake .... honey essence is brought out by the maltiness .... finish is a bit smokey with tobacco and dry cocoa.... full body with a silky mouthfeel.

My notes only sorta do justice... I really liked this alot, but I think I built it up a bit too much in my head.

Amazing Eric... I appreciate the honor.

4.5/5/4.5/4.5/4

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not one for landmark reviews, but I must point out that this is review 450 proper. After the site crash last weekend I've found myself with one extra phantom review. So, review 450, here goes.

2007 vintage. Thanks Masterski! Consumed on 10/10/2009 with Overlord and Masterski at our Pre Lost Abbey Sinners/Saints dinner tasting and poured into a snifter. It appears black with a one finger light brown head which dissipates in a minute and leaves behind just a little lacing.

What immediately strikes me about the nose is a distinct smoky or peaty character imparted by the single malt barrels. I've had the 2007 vintage of the regular Stormaktsporter and it's amazing how much smokiness Kaggen took from the barrels in a matter of 3 months. The malt is charred with strong notes of dark chocolate cake, molasses, dark fruits, and a little vanilla. I detect licorice and well integrated coffee. The honey is unmistakable.

The flavor opens up roasted, toasted, and peaty with that same chocolate cake. Honey becomes evident midpalate and adds a touch of sweetness. The malt is charred with moderate booze, dark fruits, oak, and some molasses. The beer is tannic with notes of anise and a little caramel. Booze is well hidden throughout. The finish is a recapitulation and leaves me wanting more.

The beer is full bodied with low-moderate carbonation and a smooth, sticky, viscous, and creamy mouthfeel. Thanks again, Alex, for this rare treat that I thought I might never try.

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Jet black color, more thick viscosity, tan clumpy head that is champ of retention and stickiness. Aroma was plenty of whiskey, soft charred roast, chocolate malt. Leather and oak show up like its a tree sex party.

Taste is so chewy, absorbs the alcohol for you, whiskey is in a supporting role. Faint honey and vanilla. Caramel present like a boozy cracker jack, mouthfeel amazing that in a SRM this deep, it allows toffee and caramel to come through even through the whiskey and smoke. Amazing stuff, amazing circumstance, I kind of hate that I liked it so much.

2005 vintage in bottle sampled at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden. Pours pitch black with thin dark brown foam head. Aroma consists of roasted chocolate maltiness, coffee, toffee, caramel and loads of tart oakiness and bourbon. This beer is extremely smooth and quaffable. Roasty flavor up front with smooth creamy center and sweet bitter dry finish. Flavor dominated by excellent oak and bourbon flavors that are balanced with chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel and a dry hop finish. Excellent! Lives up to the hype and the $65 price tag.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Vintage 2008.

The colour is black; the low head is warm brown. Some fine lacing occurs.

The warming smell got notes of wood and strong wine. Hints of alcohol. Lots of grand yet balanced flavours of coal, matured hops, mild bitter flavours and a hint of smoke.

The taste is very elegant with sweet caramelized notes, some fresh oxidized cask flavours, sour hints and a smoke that reminds of Islay whisky. It is overall matured, but some raw hoppy flavours make it more demanding and interesting. The strong aftertaste is malty with chemical hints of medicine and band-aids. Some alcohol in the finish.

The light carbonation is made of very small bubbles. The liquid is thick and sticky.

One of the most hyped beer during the last years... And while it is a splendid cask matured imperial stout, I found it a little too much for me.

4.73/5  rDev +2.6%

Usual black color for a stout, but the thick dark tan head and the clumpy lace made for a treat in the appearance department. Aroma was very nice as well, well integrated bourbon notes with soft malt roasting, chocolate/chocolate malt. Pair that with a mild oak and leather in the aroma, a very nice beer already.

Taste, wow, beautiful, hides the alcohol well, the bourbon barrel like notes don't dominate, nothing dominates, is extremely easy to drink, especially for the heft of the alcohol. A mild smooth sweetness, almost honey like along with faint vanilla. Mouthfeel not overly thick, allows every component of the beer to come out oh so nicely. One of the more rare things for a barrel aged stout to do is allow for a caramel smoothness to help out, and this one does just that. Its not all about being the biggest and most abrasive peeps!

One of the best bal stouts in the world. Thanks to jh1982, dsgolovin & largadeer for putting together a combo of beers outside of Triple Rock for me and the ladyfriend to join in sampling, best beers of the weekend (well actually 2012 so far).

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Review of 02-02-10
I drank this 2008 version 250 ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours pitch black with a nice creamy dark tan head. Its very pretty and fluffy. The head rises about 2 fingers stays around a couple minutes and leaves a sopay head. The lacing is a little lighter than I would have hoped for.

The aroma is medium in strength, pretty matly to start lots of sweet chocolate, some vanilla and light bourbon on the end. There is a tiny bit of oak. Overall, its pretty understated.

The taste is super smooth its sweet up front with sweet chocolate, in the middle it brings some depth with some nice oak/bourbon than as the beer finishes you get a little more oak and vanilla.

The feel is very nice, very viscous and a very lasting taste.

The drinkability is nice, can't really taste any of the alcohol.

---
Review of 07-06-2010.
Re-tasted at the brewery
- 08 kaggen vs 08 stormaktsporter, the stormkatsporter was the better by everyone.
-05 kaggen(first year of Kaggen) vs 05 stormaktspoter, the kaggen won this around.
- Tried the 09 kaggen directly from the barrel. Its on Wild Turkey, only going to be about 800 bottles, this one is going to be special. Unreal vanilla already presenting, aroma is one of the best ever, taste still getting there but this will be awesome.
-06 version that was not barrel aged put into a glass bottle and just sat for 3 years, awesome vanilla notes on the front, beer itself is almost syrup lots of acid, a little tough to drink but interesting
- 08 kaggen that is 4 parts kaggen and 1 part smoked beer. This is not a commercial beer, made by the brewery for him and his friends. This was the best of the lot, unreal balance and totally amazing. They need to make this, it would hit top 5 easily so balanced with tons of vanilla, smoke, wood, and coffee. AWESOME.

Each version is totally different, the 08 that I reviewed and gave a 4.55 is widely considered in Sweden as the worst batch. The 05 was clearly better than the 08, the variants were unreal. Everything about this beer is awesome, good variations, good story, super rare, and even better people-owners at the brewery. If you are beer freak as Hans would call you this is a beer you have to somehow track down. They plan to keep the batches small and will continue to sell at a much lower price then the market commands because they want the average person to get the beer. It will continue to be distributed mostly to just the local restaurants in Orebro and a couple bas in Stockholm and Copenhagen, but expect to pay at least 60 US dollars. Your best bet is going to be here around the release and go to a local restaurant.

4.04/5  rDev -12.4%

2008 version. Big thanks to Masterski for getting me this bottle, one that I've wanted to try for a long time but never pulled together a trade (thanks a ton Alex!).

I shared this at a tasting in northern OH, a pretty exceptional Tuesday night. Dark brown and faintly translucent, with the thinnest of foams on top. The aroma is quite nice, but to be honest I was expecting so much that I was actually a little disappointed. Taking the expectations out of it this was very good. Less roasty than I would have thought, this had more tobacco and leather to it than stouts normally do. Earthy, that's probably the correct adjective.

Some dark fruits in the flavor, plum/raisin type of thing, with lots of earthy character (I think I'm liking this term a lot). Not as strong tasting a stout as I expected, this was nothing like bourbon stouts in the USA aspire to be. Much more nuanced, less easily appreciated I think. That said I enjoyed searching out the flavors.

Lighter than expected but not thin bodied. Very very good, and obviously I'm very happy to have had a chance to try it. I'm also glad I shared it with some others so more can try this rarity, although with the small size of the bottle I could easily have taken it myself at home.

4.17/5  rDev -9.5%

07 bottle. Pour is dark brown, almost black with red edges and a tiny bit of tan large bubbled head. Nose is nice, same rich chocolate cake as stormaktsporter, maybe more, and hints of bourbon and wood. Taste is rich, dessert like, creamy full body. Rich chocolate cake and bourbonn blend together adding notes of charred wood. Not sweet but adds some malt berery flavors in back finishing semi dry. My favorite of the 3 I tried.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1500!!! A massive thanks goes out to cmrillo for bringing this one out during his own 40 Beers* @ 40 Birthday Bash! Can’t believe I FINALLY got to try this one!!! 2008 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark chocolate, vanilla, sweet alcohol, and roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, wood, sweet alcohol, and milk chocolate. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. This was another one that I was shocked to see come out at the birthday party. This was sampled directly after Stormaktsporter. There was a pretty good difference in this one from the base brew. There was a lot more presence of the vanilla with an addition of various chocolate aspects. The cigar aspect I picked up on in the base brew had disappeared, but what replaced it in both the flavor and aroma was just plain excellent. So glad I got the chance to finally try this one and would love to do so over and over again.

4.7/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For semi-milestone review #350, might as well go for one of the big boys.

A - Pours a viscous black with a surprisinly large fine bubble, tan head on it. Quite nice looking.

S - Amazing. Huge chocolate smell with some burnt oak, mild coffe, great toffee. Nice roasted malts with subtle traces of vanilla as it warms.

T - I am always skeptical of beers that shoot up the charts with a small number of reviews, but this has definately lived up to everything I could have imagined. Velvety chocolate coats the mouth, but it's a nice, slightly roasty cocoa that combines with the rest of the roasted malts nicely. Slight licorice notes and brown sugar. There is a muted coffee flavor and everything is brought together by the oaked taste. Truly fantastic.

M - Smooth, full bodied, velvety is the word that keeps coming ot mind.

D - I'm guessing a little bit, because the bottle is so small, but I could definately drink this non-stop. Fantastic brew, I don't know if I will ever get a hold of more, but I would sure love to.

4.57/5  rDev -0.9%

I can't thank Jan enough for getting me this one, 2008 bottle, side by side with the regular 2008 Stormaktsporter.

Pours just like the regular version, pitch black with a thick tan head that recedes ever so slowly to a clumpy cap and leaves very good lacing.

Oh man, the smell on this one is wonderful. It takes the chocolate sweetness and the fruity esters from the base beer and layers on a hefty dose of earthy leather notes and some spicy oak. Espresso and honey as well. Whoa.

The taste has an initial spicy kick from the oak and earthy sweetness from the honey. The heavily roasted malts hang out underneath as well as the chocolate, which really takes a back seat compared to the regular version where it steals the show. The finish is completely different as well with a hefty alcohol burn coating the throat.

Mouthfeel, much like the regular version, is stunning. Just completely coats the mouth, so smooth with just the right carbonation.

This was definitely an interesting comparison to the normal Stormaktsporter and they differed more than I expected. This beer is probably more complex and definitely has an earthier, oakier character. Definitely one of the better beers I've ever had and marginally better than the normal version. Very different beers though...

4.92/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a killer. A killer....

I was lucky enough to try a few bottles of this at the Akurat pub in Stockholm the last time I was there in 2010.

The different vintages each had their own excellent virtues about them.

A: This stuff is pitch black with maybe just a tiny bit of cola hue on the edges of the mocha head.

S: This smells fantastic dark black coffee grounds, chocolate, leather, and dark cane syrup dominate the aroma

T: Thick, heavy, and chewy coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and spices with a bit of tobacco and leather for good measure.

M: Mouth coating thickness and syrup

O: Phenomenal. A benchmark of the style

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

First had this one at the 2010 BOREFTS Festival at De Molen in Bordegrave, Holland. Along with the base beer and two other barrel aged variants, the Narke stouts were one of the highlights of the festival for me. Was also lucky enough to be able to buy a bottle at the festival to take away, and Doopie was so generous to let me have his to take home. Thanks again bro.

From a 25cl bottle bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2009
Drunk directly after a 2008 base Stormaktsporter

APPEARANCE: A black pour, slightly darker than the base, makes a medium sized, medium-thick tan head that fades rather quickly. A wisp and bubbly ring are left behind. Jet black body and zero carbonation evident. A ring remains until the end and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass. Much the same as the base, though slightly darker pour.

SMELL: Roasted malts with plenty of bourbon for sure. Oak and vanilla play a role, as well as some hints of milk chocolate. Medium strength; not as bold as the base beer, but definitely strikes a superb balance between the roasted malt base and the barrel.

TASTE: Much more impressive than the nose, and this is where the beer makes a name for itself. Roasted malts up front with some milk chocolate and sweet molasses before the barrel kicks in. Bourbon, oak and vanilla show up in full force after the swallow, but it still leaves room for the roasted malt foundation of the base beer. Very well put together with a touch of heat after the swallow. Bold and lingering aftertaste of roasted malts, molasses, and the bourbon barrel all work together very well. Great stuff, with just the right amount of heat at the swallow.

PALATE: Same as the base beer. Medium body and carbonation, and very creamy smooth on the palate. Goes down smooth with a touch of heat and an alcohol bite at the swallow. Finishes slightly mouth-coating. Nice and creamy for sure.

OVERALL: Again, these 25cl bottles are just unfair, especially when split up. They need to start filling 750s and sending them to my house. One of the most balanced and flavorful bourbon barrel aged stouts on the planet. Nothing dominates, allowing the great roasted base beer to combine beautifully with the barrels. A touchstone in the style. Whether this is better than the base Stormaktsporter is really moot point, as one is world class stout, and the other is a world class barrel aged stout. Drink them both if you get the chance. Thanks again for this opportunity Doops.

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB