Kaggen! Stormaktsporter | Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB
Sweden
kulturbryggeri.se

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

Added by baggio on 05-14-2008

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle.
2008 vintage. Pours one of the darkest, deepest brown/black colors in an IS that I have seen. Slight mahagonay reddish tan head with good lace. A mixture of aromas including oak, roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a slight touch of vanilla. Chocolate is the first aroma that comes to mind when I first took a smell. Medium mouthfeel. Loads of tastes as well that include the dark bittersweet chocolate and leather. Sweet malts (maybe the honey?) up front with a lingering bitternes. Extremely well balanced. My only gripe (a very small one) is that I would love to have the mouthfeel a little bit heavier. I will say that it has a great velvety, creamy medium mouthfeel though. Just outstanding! Really wish they made this more available and in BIGGER bottles!

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2007 bottle, generously shared by Sean9869, thanks for letting me try a super long time want.

The beer pours a dark cola brown, nearly black color with swirls of brown, caramel and hazelnut before it all melds together with a slight head that recedes quickly and leaves spots of lace. The aroma is wonderful, wood, char, light chocolate, slightly roasted coffee and toasted grain, sweet alcohol, pitted stone fruit, toffee, molasses, every time I took a sniff, I felt like there was something new, exceedingly complex. The beer really shined on the tongue, bakers chocolate, stone fruit, coffee, barrel character, toffee, mollasses, marshmallow, alcohol and then some, just like the nose, each sip brought out something new and something exciting. The balance is spectacular, the complexity is unending, and the smoothness is hardly matched. The body was great, coats the mouth well, super smooth, rich, decadent without being taxing or too thick.

Verdict: Magnificent, easily the most complex and rewarding RIS I've tried to date and the wood only complimented this further. One of the few beers that has really lived up to the crazy hype, and even exceeded it. Well done Närke.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Review of 06' Kaggen!

I feel the most recent reviews of this beer have been a bit stingy, so I will go ahead and share my Kaggen! experience.
When I found out that my fiance was going to be in Stockholm for a work conference, I knew that meant I was finally going to get to try Kaggen! I attempted to make a trip out to Orrebro and go to the brewery, but that didn't work out. So, off to Akkurat (went two days of the five we were there, wouldn't have been able to afford any more!)

This most epic of beers poured a thick jet black with a nice off white tan head, pretty nice retention as well.

The aroma was of brown sugar, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and a lingering whiskey note.

The nose matched the taste with an amazing milky, dare I say silky mouthfeel. Seriously, this was like drinking some sort of silky whiskey chocolate milk. The mouthfeel and body was probably the most impressive and interesting I have ever had.

Notes of milk and dark chocolate with undertones of charcoal. Nice mellow whiskey presence throughout with some oak, vanilla, and a rich caramel presence.

Finishes just as it started with a long rich chocolate note, nice warming whiskey presence, and a touch of grains...rye.

Overall; incredibly rich and complex yet well balanced. At 5 years in perfect cellar condition, this beer has developed into one of the most layered stouts I have ever had. It's one solid note after the other! Not exactly sure what a fresh bottle would be like, but I did have a bottle of the 15th anniversary of Akkurat & 5th of Narke collaboration Konjaks! (Cognac Barrel Aged Stormakstporter)

All in all, theoretically it is worth the price tag and I will tell you why. I spent a few days in Sweden and spoke to a lot of people about how the alcohol laws work, etc. Basically this beer is so expensive because of the warped system in Sweden and in order to support the amazing brewery of Narke and restaurant Akkurat it was more than worth the 375 kroner. It's not their fault that the government won't allow them to just sell his limited barrel aged stout at their brewery for 20 bucks like everyone in the states does...I'm sure that if he could, they would.

If you find yourself in Stockholm, splurge and order a bottle to support Narke and Akkurat (and of course because it is an amazing beer) for offering amazing beer and refuge to beer lovers in Stockholm, despite a warped monopoly on alcohol in Sweden...

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2008 Kaggen enjoyed at Akkurat

A: Deep black body with a smallish khaki head of tight bubbles. Receded over a minute or two leaving behind some whispy lacing.

S: Delicate milk chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and some oak. The bourbon barrel aging is undeniable but it is quite restrained and silky.

T: Like the nose, the bourbon barrel aging is graceful. That said, its subtleties are somewhat lost in its meekness. I prefer barrel aged stouts that are a bit more potent, but refrain from burning your throat off. Milk chocolate, oak, vanilla, and bourbon are all here. Surprising, not as much roasted malt as I was expecting.

M: The mouthfeel is the standout element of this beer for sure. Nice and thick, with a luscious, velvety feel as the beer coats the tongue. No burn with just the slightest hints of the 10% ABV.

D: Quite nice. I think just about anyone can appreciate the quality here, but its just not quite the bourbon barrel RIS that I absolutely crave.

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 8 oz. bottle into a tasting glass. 2008 vintage. Thanks a ton to Paulmpapp for bringing this out to our whale tasting.

Appearance: Typical RIS look - ebony black color with a fairly thin tan head of creamy bubbles slowly fades to a collar and leaves a thin sheet of lace.

Smell: The aroma is very balanced and smooth. Some sweet bourbon, raisins, figs, and dark roasted malt are all subtle and blended so well together. Dark chocolate and a bit of espresso round out the nose.

Taste: The flavor is pretty much exactly what I want out of a barrel aged imperial stout. Smooth, sweet bourbon comes in first and slowly lets in the fig, raisin, cherry, and roasted malt blend beautifully together. Some dark chocolate fudge, vanilla, and light espresso notes are in the background. The finish has a bit more bourbon and finishes fairly clean.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is smooth, with just enough crispness to excite the tongue along with the bourbon. The body is on the fuller side of medium and consistent all the way through. Slightly sticky on the lips.

Overall: Clearly, this is one of the best imperial stouts I have had. No individual flavor really stands out, but the flavors in concert work so well together.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Many thanks to habmike for popping this one, split four ways with him, SpencerDB and kkipple

Appearance: Dark pour with perhaps a touch of ruby/mahogany. Decent head an lacing

Smell: Fudge, vanilla, espresso, caramelized dark fruits, big roasted malt. Typical for the style.

Taste: Similar to the smell, fudge, oak, tobacco, espresso, caramelized dark fruits, raisins, figs, dates and roasted malt. I was not particularly impressed. We all much preferred this to the regular offering however in a side-by-side. If you can taste rarity it is probably more delicious.

Mouthfeel: Smooth mouthfeel, medium body and weight. I expected it to be a bit bigger.

Drinkability: Not sure why they feel the need to do such small format bottles at such a price. Drinkable enough. I feel most people share these and I wonder if they would like them quite so much if they had 1/4 a 750ml bottle as opposed to a few ounces.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

2005 Vintage had on 5 June 2011 at Pikkulintu.

A - Black as night with a thick dark caramel-colored head leaving crevaces as it fades. This beer has big caramel legs as you drink.

S - The first blast is of sherry/fig/cherry with a mix of vanilla/bourbon to follow. As you smell a bit more, there are hints of cardboard, which only slightly detract from the amazing aroma.

T - Truly sublime. Lots of fantastic sweetness up front with a bitter chocolate finish. There's a nice smokey tobacco that pleasantly lingers on the tongue.

M - Full-bodied, and great carbonation. The finish is much drier than expected, but works quite well.

O - This was the best beer I'd had to date (outdone by Konjaks a few days later) and just phenomenal. I think that there is fantastic oxidation in the beer, but the hints of cardboard make me think that this could be taking a turn (though I've never had any other vintage to compare). Still just a fantastic brew.

4.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours black with a finger of mocha colored head in my tulip glass. Each swirl causes the head to rise again and leave a bit of sticky film on the walls.

The oak barrels are readily apparent on the nose, dominating the overall profile. Some bright metallic notes. Marshmallows, honey, bakers chocolate, earthiness, and cake batter come into play after constant agitation.

I thought the smell was good but not spectacular and was prepared to be let down in the taste department, but alas I am not. Roasted coffee-like bitterness up front with a oddly sour barrel quality that is very unique. The only other stout I have that that I can really compare it to is Kate the Great, mainly in the possibility that there were some bugs at play in both these bottles. But I like this one a little bit more. Some good chocolate notes, a tad bit of honey sweetness, and some earthy hoppiness round out the flavor profile. Very subtly complex, but didn't really have the flavor profile to get me excited enough to hand out 5's.

Mouthfeel is in between full and medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation. Drinkability is tough to rate. This has the flavor profile of an everyday-type stout, but even after 4 oz. I was wishing I had waited to share it with somebody. Kind of got really heavy in the stomach for some reason.

Overall this is a very fine beer, but not among my favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to johndoe8 for this badass brew. 2009 vintage

A-dark body with a mocha head that disapates slowly

S-smooth oak and bourbon undertones that take a little bit of twirling to bring out

T-now that's a fucking beer. Wow. Follows the nose. Very subtle oak and bourbon tthat is just wonderful

M-medium body and smooth

O-very fucking good. Worth the €30-40? Prolly not

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

Thank you Bonus Beer Bob for the chance to try this incredibly rare beer. While I've had it once before, this was the only time I've had more than a couple of sips, and enough to properly wrap my head around the beer. Thanks dude.

Pours a thick, viscous, oily black. Tan, creamy head. Beautiful.

Chocolate, honey, creamy espresso in the smell. Notes of brown sugar and vanilla. Complex. Wonderful. Inviting.

Huge, rich, creamy chocolate, brown sugar, tobacco, dark fruits, oak all slowly unveil themselves in the taste. Caramel and vanilla notes. Honey carries through from the smell as well and provides a very nice, unique note in this beer.

Super rich, super creamy mouthfeel with virtually no alcohol heat. Excellent.

Extremely drinkable.

Every once in a while, a beer lives up to the hype. This is one of those. Incredibly complex, with layers of complexity that are slowly peeled back, sip after sip. All this, and no noticeable flaws to dampen the enjoyment. Awesome beer. Keg for my home, please? Ha, I wish. So, in summary, this beer sucks. Don't seek it out. Avoid at all costs. /sarcasm.

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

A huge thanks to Bonus Beer Bob (hrking) for sharing this rare and incredible beer. I am truly honored and thankful to have this beer for my 400th review. This beer was the first beer of the insane "SeaofFloydster" epic tasting that took place after the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th.

I heard from a couple of people how great this beer is and that it's worth hunting down...I tried to be critical and could care less about hype but this beer is one of the few that really exceeded my expectations.

Pours dark with ½ inch of mocha colored foam. A thin ring forms after the beer settles, great retention and some lacing. A quick swirl of the glass brings back some head.

Roasted malts, bits of charcoal, clover honey, sweet raisins and dates at first impression. Brown sugar, fruits, and chocolate as it opens up. Delicate oak and vanilla aromas in the background. This beer continued to develop more interesting aromas and really needs to sit for a few minutes to open up. Notes of tobacco and a bit of leather. Really complex beer, almost too complex to describe all the aromas that are coming at me.

Roasted and chocolate malts, smoke, charred oak, vanilla, and fuity alcohol in the finish. Sticky brown sugar residue on the lips after every sip. Just like the aroma this one continues to develop as it warms up. Chocolate fudge flavors in the finish, coffee notes as well.

Really smooth and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden, finishes just a tad thin.

This beer had such an intense aroma that I literally had to rinse off my glass at least 3 times to wash off the aroma and get ready for the next beer.

Vintage 2008

I had the privilege to drink this beer for the First time at the Molen bier festival, and I experienced it as the best beer I ever had. However, I was still wondering how it would stand out against the upper-class of "American" (Russian) Imperial Stouts. Thanks to Dan I could have an epic beertasting evening with some friends with Surly Darkness, Darklord, Kate the Great, Abyss, Sexual Chocolate, Cigar City 110K OT Batch2, Speedway stout and on the other side, Stormaktsporter regular and Kaggen!.

Look: very very very dark, with an magnificent dark brown creamy head.

Smell: amazingly rich: raisins, other dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon, oak, coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Maple syrup and creamy milk. too much to describe

Taste: wowowowowow, this is the best tasting beer I ever had. Compared to most other imperial stouts, all of the smell comes back in the taste. And man, this beer is so well balanced. The aftertaste I like the most, long and it is so incredibly rich and creamy.... creamy coffee and chocolate, and some bourbon....

Mouthfeel: not extremely thick, but so creamy and smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Overall: I had this beer together with some big American RIS beers. Well, these US-beers could not even come close to this Swedish beauty, they were so unbalanced (especially in the aftertaste) compared to this almost magical balanced kaggen! This beer humiliates all other attempts to brew an imperial stout, besides the regular stormaktsporter and the abyss, which finished 2nd and 3rd just after the kaggen. The best beer I ever had. I feel so happy I could try it again, and even more blessed I have another bottle in the basement to age. Worth the hype, this beer is art!

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB