Kaggen! Stormaktsporter | Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Kaggen! StormaktsporterKaggen! Stormaktsporter

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB
Sweden | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The cask matured version of Stormaktsporter.

Added by baggio on 05-14-2008

Reviews: 96 | Ratings: 178
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

I purchased a bottle of this (2006 vintage) in July 2011 at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden for the staggering price of 375 kroner. It was a real bank breaker, but a treat as well. Reviewed from extensive notes. I was skeptical going into this beer, as I feel you have to be if people are claiming it's the best beer in the world (or even for the style).

Served from the bottle into a standard stemware glass (25cl) at Akkurat.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beautiful brown-ruby colour, lovely cream, and brilliant thickness. Retention is excellent in general, but astounding for the high ABV. I love the unique colour of the creamy head. Solid nontransparent black colour. Very fucking appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, cream, raspberry (and maybe cherry) esters [but not "dark" esters as with Westvleteren 12], toffee, vanilla, slight roast, and another ester me broken nose can't identify (all apologies as usual, lads). The aroma is clean and of moderate strength. No alcohol comes through.

T: Chocolate, excellent subtle cream, vanilla, toffee truffle, some sort of fruit esters on the fringe, and cherry esters (which are dark and buried, but still contribute). No caramel. It's delightfully subtle and deep. Incredibly complex. I love it. No alcohol comes through in the taste. Some slight caramelized malt comes through on the finish, which feels a bit out of place, upsetting the near-perfect balance. Brilliantly and carefully built.

Mf: Amazingly soft and delicate. Silky smooth. Creamy, but not overly so. Perfectly complements the flavours. Really extraordinary and artful. On a level of sophistication rarely seen except perhaps in Westvleteren 12 and 8. Truly perfect.

Dr: No alcohol comes through. It's a treat. I love the complexity. It's meant to be savored. Lives up to the hype. I wouldn't call it a perfect beer but it's pretty damn close. There are only two noticeable flaws: the price (which doesn't affect my rating) and the caramelized malt on the finish, which is a touch out of place. I wish it were more available as well. I can't speculate on how the aging affects it, as the 2006 is the only one I've tried (and probably the only one I ever will). I was thinking while I was drinking it whether it was truly better than the Westvleteren 12 (if that's even a fair comparison), and I think it's very close, but ultimately this is better. I'd have to have them side by side for a true comparison (yeah right!).

A+ (4.9)

4.12/5  rDev -10.6%

Huge thanks to Eric for bringing this out to our tasting in Canton on a rainy Tuesday night in August. I was certainly happy to make the trip down to get the chance to try this well regarded brew – I figured this may be my only chance!

2008 version, 250ml bottle into a snifter.

The pour looked great. There's a dark beer with some chocolate and midnight hues swirling around the glass. A touch of head quickly dissipates but that's to be expected with a big barrel aged brew like this. The beer looks thick and, while there's no lace, this is a very appealing glass.

The smell is complex and shows that this is well crafted. There’s a nice bourbon and barrel edge that charges through first, then, once that brute force element dies away, there are some nice smoky notes that integrate well with the roasted malt. Not really burnt, coffee or chocolate dominated, the delicate balance is pretty remarkable. The barrel does stand out but not in a way that dominates. I’d have to say the smell is my favorite part of this beer.

The taste is also all about depth and complexity. The barrel has again taken the lead, but the honey in the base beer makes this very unique and adds some flower and compliments the sweet chocolate notes very well. The hint of smoke and char allows this to again tip back towards balance, as the beer really straddles the line between sweet and bitter, boozy and balanced. A warming alcohol note towards the end is a bit out of place, but at 10% this beer has a ton of flavors and is certainly not a booze bomb. A touch more integration and slightly different flavor profile would make this score higher from me. I guess I like beers with a touch more personality or that lean one way or another. This does a great job encapsulating many elements, but the tradeoff is less personality. Not overrated per say, but also not my favorite of the mega-whales I’ve been fortunate enough to try.

The mouthfeel is just a bit thin compared to the biggest, baddest stouts out there. That being said, the touch of carbonation kisses my tongue with just enough vigor to keep the beer interesting and let the subtleties pop.

Overall, this beer is a work of art. There’s no denying the craftsmanship that went into it. That being said, it wasn’t my favorite BA stout, even of the evening, and it may suffer just a bit from inflated expectations. Absolutely worth a try but not at any cost.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

First had this one at the 2010 BOREFTS Festival at De Molen in Bordegrave, Holland. Along with the base beer and two other barrel aged variants, the Narke stouts were one of the highlights of the festival for me. Was also lucky enough to be able to buy a bottle at the festival to take away, and Doopie was so generous to let me have his to take home. Thanks again bro.

From a 25cl bottle bottle into a snifter
Vintage: 2009
Drunk directly after a 2008 base Stormaktsporter

APPEARANCE: A black pour, slightly darker than the base, makes a medium sized, medium-thick tan head that fades rather quickly. A wisp and bubbly ring are left behind. Jet black body and zero carbonation evident. A ring remains until the end and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass. Much the same as the base, though slightly darker pour.

SMELL: Roasted malts with plenty of bourbon for sure. Oak and vanilla play a role, as well as some hints of milk chocolate. Medium strength; not as bold as the base beer, but definitely strikes a superb balance between the roasted malt base and the barrel.

TASTE: Much more impressive than the nose, and this is where the beer makes a name for itself. Roasted malts up front with some milk chocolate and sweet molasses before the barrel kicks in. Bourbon, oak and vanilla show up in full force after the swallow, but it still leaves room for the roasted malt foundation of the base beer. Very well put together with a touch of heat after the swallow. Bold and lingering aftertaste of roasted malts, molasses, and the bourbon barrel all work together very well. Great stuff, with just the right amount of heat at the swallow.

PALATE: Same as the base beer. Medium body and carbonation, and very creamy smooth on the palate. Goes down smooth with a touch of heat and an alcohol bite at the swallow. Finishes slightly mouth-coating. Nice and creamy for sure.

OVERALL: Again, these 25cl bottles are just unfair, especially when split up. They need to start filling 750s and sending them to my house. One of the most balanced and flavorful bourbon barrel aged stouts on the planet. Nothing dominates, allowing the great roasted base beer to combine beautifully with the barrels. A touchstone in the style. Whether this is better than the base Stormaktsporter is really moot point, as one is world class stout, and the other is a world class barrel aged stout. Drink them both if you get the chance. Thanks again for this opportunity Doops.

4.04/5  rDev -12.4%

2008 version. Big thanks to Masterski for getting me this bottle, one that I've wanted to try for a long time but never pulled together a trade (thanks a ton Alex!).

I shared this at a tasting in northern OH, a pretty exceptional Tuesday night. Dark brown and faintly translucent, with the thinnest of foams on top. The aroma is quite nice, but to be honest I was expecting so much that I was actually a little disappointed. Taking the expectations out of it this was very good. Less roasty than I would have thought, this had more tobacco and leather to it than stouts normally do. Earthy, that's probably the correct adjective.

Some dark fruits in the flavor, plum/raisin type of thing, with lots of earthy character (I think I'm liking this term a lot). Not as strong tasting a stout as I expected, this was nothing like bourbon stouts in the USA aspire to be. Much more nuanced, less easily appreciated I think. That said I enjoyed searching out the flavors.

Lighter than expected but not thin bodied. Very very good, and obviously I'm very happy to have had a chance to try it. I'm also glad I shared it with some others so more can try this rarity, although with the small size of the bottle I could easily have taken it myself at home.

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottled. Pours pitch black with a little brown head. Nose of raisins, prunes and burned malt. Flavour of caramel, smoke, vanilla, dark malts, dried fruits, dark chocolate and notes of honey. It is full bodied has a oily texture and a soft carbonation. Long malty finish. It is a very enjoyable brew.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Enjoyed at the 2011 Ffej of July pre party. Served immediately after the "regular" version. A 2008 vintage bottle offered up by generous beer buddy orangesol. Thanks for the chance to try this hard to obtain treat. Served from an eye dropper.

A-Deepest, darkest,opaque black with a thin, reddish highlighted, dark tan head that disappated to the faintest wispy veil. Brew ended up looking still with no lace what so ever.

S-A more impressive aroma than the regular version with sharper and more aggressive notes of sweet vanilla, rich, dark malt, oak, coffee, toasted coconut and a touch of soy. A light hint of sour mash and alcohol vapors in the background.

T-Another fine example of taking a well made base beer, aging it properly in a fine Bourbon barrel and Viola! out pops an awesome brew! Notes of rich, roasted, dark and chocolate malt, vanilla sweetness, oak, licorice, cherry, plums, black currant, toasted coconut, espresso and subtle touches of soy, leather and turbinado. A brew that improves greatly with warming.

M-Heavy bodied, amazingly smooth and silky. Outstanding balance between the sweet and dry components with long lingering flavours involved. In fact, there is so much lingering flvour ones palate gets worn out.

O-Good, certainly. Great, admittedly so! I concur this is one mighty tasty brew, but, the difficulty in obtaining it and the ridiculously small serving size will not make me give up my first born to obtain an other(s). A deliciously rich, decadent treat I was happy to enjoy with a close group of great freinds. Maybe the sharing of a great beer with great friends made this one even that much better!

4.7/5  rDev +2%

Small 2009 bottle courtesy joes! Opaque black pour with a frothy brown head that fades to a ring but sticks. Complex aroma of fudge, char, oak, bourbon, and a touch of alcohol. Wonderful flavor loaded with fudge, big smokey/char character, a lingering hint of coconut, definite oak, and more. Unique and quite good.

Small 2008 bottle courtesy joes. Opaque black pour with a small brown head that sticks. Huge BA aroma on this one with buttery vanilla, bourbon, fudge, and more. Rich flavor displaying BA characteristics with lingering roast and a touch of ash. Upped my rating a bit!

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

2005 Vintage had on 5 June 2011 at Pikkulintu.

A - Black as night with a thick dark caramel-colored head leaving crevaces as it fades. This beer has big caramel legs as you drink.

S - The first blast is of sherry/fig/cherry with a mix of vanilla/bourbon to follow. As you smell a bit more, there are hints of cardboard, which only slightly detract from the amazing aroma.

T - Truly sublime. Lots of fantastic sweetness up front with a bitter chocolate finish. There's a nice smokey tobacco that pleasantly lingers on the tongue.

M - Full-bodied, and great carbonation. The finish is much drier than expected, but works quite well.

O - This was the best beer I'd had to date (outdone by Konjaks a few days later) and just phenomenal. I think that there is fantastic oxidation in the beer, but the hints of cardboard make me think that this could be taking a turn (though I've never had any other vintage to compare). Still just a fantastic brew.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

With picnic tables full of incredible beer, Craig stands up from the table and exclaims, "you’ll want to follow me". I agreed, and without hesitation we were off. The bottle wasn’t half way out of the bag and I could not believe my eyes.

The pour was black and sticks to the glass. A small tan head was visible, but I am interested in how this smells and tastes.

The aroma was worth the wait: chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla, coffee, molasses, and licorice.

Can the flavor back up the nose? Yes, Kaggen was an awesome complex brew that lived up to the hype. Dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, coffee, molasses, dark fruits, subtle wood hints, licorice, and well integrated alcohol.

Full bodied, chewy, and smooth. Thanks to Craig (cgarvieuk) for sharing this incredible beer.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Served in a small snifter at 50-55º. 2007 vintage.
Wispy skim of tan foam, settling in a ghostly cirrus formation. Not much sticks around though to be honest... no lacing to speak of.

Huge aroma of loose leaf pipe tobacco and "red man" pouch tobacco, leather, maple, dried dark fruit... raisin, prune, and licorice. At room temperature it's somewhat woody with notes of pumpernickel bread and molasses.

Rich flavors of dark fruit (dried cherry) and tobacco, a hint of sherry cask oxidation, fudgy, woody and leathery. Mellow feel, slightly oily and syrupy. Best to split a bottle with friends. Not a "best ever" beer imho, but a good one. Hopefully will try a recent vintage someday to compare.

Thanks Kristina for sharing this bottle.

4.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my long time wants. I brought this one to the Pre-Ffej of July party to share with the usual suspects. I hope you guys liked it as much as I did. '08 Bottle served right after the regular version.

A - Pours opaque black with a small half finger tall mocha colored head leaving little to no lacing down the glass.

S - Smells just like the regular version with a few extra things tossed in. Compared to the regular version this one has a bit more vanilla, charred oak, peat whiskey, and just the faintest sour note. Excellent stuff.

T - Just like the regular version the taste is a bit of a letdown from that amazing nose but with the addition of the cask maturation it has really helped to round things out. Hints of rich bakers chocolate, sweet vanilla and charred oak tannins, licorice, dark fruits, and a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Only the faintest hint of alcohol creeps in as it comes to room temperature. The finish is a mix of sweet dark roast and some dry wood tannins, lingering for a short period of time.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth feel with a mix of sweetness and dryness lingering through the finish. Only the faintest hint of booze can be detected.

O - Damn, I really wish I had a few more of these. I don't like to say that a specific beer is the best I have ever had, but if you asked me what is the best RIS I have had this would be near the top of my list. I am glad I could share this one with a few people who could appreciate it as much as I did.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

2008 vintage bottle (perfect for my 300th rating). What a wonderful dark brown pour with a frothy brown head. Like the Stormaktsporter this also has that great oily lacing. The nose is enticing with oak, vanilla, and fig aromas. This is a thick chewy stout which has fantastic balance considering how big the roasted malt body is. Flavors of dark bitter chocolate, oak, and vanilla compliment the bold roasted malt notes..
Update. Just tasted the 2007 vintage. It was starting to fade...

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Review of 06' Kaggen!

I feel the most recent reviews of this beer have been a bit stingy, so I will go ahead and share my Kaggen! experience.
When I found out that my fiance was going to be in Stockholm for a work conference, I knew that meant I was finally going to get to try Kaggen! I attempted to make a trip out to Orrebro and go to the brewery, but that didn't work out. So, off to Akkurat (went two days of the five we were there, wouldn't have been able to afford any more!)

This most epic of beers poured a thick jet black with a nice off white tan head, pretty nice retention as well.

The aroma was of brown sugar, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and a lingering whiskey note.

The nose matched the taste with an amazing milky, dare I say silky mouthfeel. Seriously, this was like drinking some sort of silky whiskey chocolate milk. The mouthfeel and body was probably the most impressive and interesting I have ever had.

Notes of milk and dark chocolate with undertones of charcoal. Nice mellow whiskey presence throughout with some oak, vanilla, and a rich caramel presence.

Finishes just as it started with a long rich chocolate note, nice warming whiskey presence, and a touch of grains...rye.

Overall; incredibly rich and complex yet well balanced. At 5 years in perfect cellar condition, this beer has developed into one of the most layered stouts I have ever had. It's one solid note after the other! Not exactly sure what a fresh bottle would be like, but I did have a bottle of the 15th anniversary of Akkurat & 5th of Narke collaboration Konjaks! (Cognac Barrel Aged Stormakstporter)

All in all, theoretically it is worth the price tag and I will tell you why. I spent a few days in Sweden and spoke to a lot of people about how the alcohol laws work, etc. Basically this beer is so expensive because of the warped system in Sweden and in order to support the amazing brewery of Narke and restaurant Akkurat it was more than worth the 375 kroner. It's not their fault that the government won't allow them to just sell his limited barrel aged stout at their brewery for 20 bucks like everyone in the states does...I'm sure that if he could, they would.

If you find yourself in Stockholm, splurge and order a bottle to support Narke and Akkurat (and of course because it is an amazing beer) for offering amazing beer and refuge to beer lovers in Stockholm, despite a warped monopoly on alcohol in Sweden...

Best beer I have ever tried. The worst about this beer, or brewery is that I went to school temporary in the sad litle town in Sweden for a year. The school was located next to the brewery and I had no idea about it.
Who's the goose?

The beer is exceptional in every way besides maybee the appearance, but that is also wonderfull with its brown foam and motoroil consistence. Balance is the keyword for this beer. All of the complexed flavours is on a straight line the whole time.

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

said to be the rarest. had a friend ship to me from the brewery, strong powerful malty base with enough hop to round it out to a nice robust finish. exceptional stout. with no ego i can say its good but not the best, definitely worth the drink but by no means shell out your beer collection to grab it

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

250mL 2008 ed

A- The pour is significantly improved over the normal 2007 Stormaktsporter. A very lively, large, blooming, deep brown head erupts on a near jet black body. Lacing is sheety, large, and sticky.

N- Very intense: fruity, floral, buttery, maple, something not unlike bourbon but more akin to brandy and spiced orange. As it warms, very heavy buttery bourbon comes through even though this has no bourbon component in the aging. More spiced orange comes through again with licorice and mild peat. Later, I get a lot more orange, potpourri, heavy clove and cinnamon.

T- Very different from the normal version. Up front this is sharp and citrusy, mild butter and spicy oak in the mid, and finishes neutral, tannic, and rich with bourbon, oil, and coconut similar to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

P- Slightly carboardy and mildly dusty. Not super oily or thick. Very different from the normal Stormaktsporter. Not coffee, chocolate, or bourbon forward. More neutral malty, bitter orange, mild coffee.

Pretty good but not mind blowing. Inferior to Misto BA or even De Molen Heaven and Hell. Overall weaker, thinner, mild, relatively tart.

4.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle. 2007 vintage. An aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, raisins, oak, fudge etc. that invites you to a wonderful taste that is perfectly balanced with no taste taking over the show. It feels quite different on the palate, however, much more carbonation that I expected but this isn’t a bad thing, quite the opposite. It looks beautiful in the glass, pitch black with a brown head. Quite possibly the best beer of all time.

4.92/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a killer. A killer....

I was lucky enough to try a few bottles of this at the Akurat pub in Stockholm the last time I was there in 2010.

The different vintages each had their own excellent virtues about them.

A: This stuff is pitch black with maybe just a tiny bit of cola hue on the edges of the mocha head.

S: This smells fantastic dark black coffee grounds, chocolate, leather, and dark cane syrup dominate the aroma

T: Thick, heavy, and chewy coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and spices with a bit of tobacco and leather for good measure.

M: Mouth coating thickness and syrup

O: Phenomenal. A benchmark of the style

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Many thanks to habmike for popping this one, split four ways with him, SpencerDB and kkipple

Appearance: Dark pour with perhaps a touch of ruby/mahogany. Decent head an lacing

Smell: Fudge, vanilla, espresso, caramelized dark fruits, big roasted malt. Typical for the style.

Taste: Similar to the smell, fudge, oak, tobacco, espresso, caramelized dark fruits, raisins, figs, dates and roasted malt. I was not particularly impressed. We all much preferred this to the regular offering however in a side-by-side. If you can taste rarity it is probably more delicious.

Mouthfeel: Smooth mouthfeel, medium body and weight. I expected it to be a bit bigger.

Drinkability: Not sure why they feel the need to do such small format bottles at such a price. Drinkable enough. I feel most people share these and I wonder if they would like them quite so much if they had 1/4 a 750ml bottle as opposed to a few ounces.

4.41/5  rDev -4.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Generously shared by dabecassis. Thanks, Dobby.

A: Pours a dark coffee brown body; it's opaque in the glass. Small, short-lived light tan head that deposits no lace and maintains only a fine collar on the beer.

S: Smoke, peat, honey, baker's chocolate, and caramel. I'm impressed by the extraction of peat without that burning-tire aroma I frequently find (and hate) in whiskey-barrel aged beers.

T: This definitely strikes me as a "European" style of imperial stout. Peat flavors nicely complement a small element of char, smoke, and baker's chocolate. Dark fruits are noted; they contribute a small plum presence (though you could argue it's licorice, and I'd probably agree). The finish emerges with leather, tobacco, and a distinct aftertaste of spiced honey. Very complex and engaging. Well integrated barrel character.

M: I'm surprised to see so many other people refer to this beer as "coating." I found it fell off the tongue very quickly. It's medium in viscosity; the flavor is excellent, but it doesn't linger.

D: Very tasty stuff. I'd certainly have it again, though I'm still not convinced I need to chase it down at $50 and change.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

2006 vintage, small bottle (8 ounces?) thanks big time to Eric. What can I say? Footbalm brings a beer like this and doesn't make a big deal out of it, he just sits back has a beer, and says "don't worry about it". Eric defines the greatness of this site, thanks a ton man. Anyway, Pours a very dark brown color with a medium beige head floating on top. A sweet cocoa nose, dark fruit, huge burnt molasses- very nice. A wonderful flavor; massive roasted molasses, caramel, dark fruit, juicy and yet somehow loads of dry chocolate and cocoa. Very smooth, actually no heat at all- the smoothest beer at 10% ever made I'm sure. Reminded me of a aged Expedition Stout- and that is a massive compliment. Awesome. I dream of having this on draft, or a big 750ml bottle. Wonderful.

4.57/5  rDev -0.9%

I can't thank Jan enough for getting me this one, 2008 bottle, side by side with the regular 2008 Stormaktsporter.

Pours just like the regular version, pitch black with a thick tan head that recedes ever so slowly to a clumpy cap and leaves very good lacing.

Oh man, the smell on this one is wonderful. It takes the chocolate sweetness and the fruity esters from the base beer and layers on a hefty dose of earthy leather notes and some spicy oak. Espresso and honey as well. Whoa.

The taste has an initial spicy kick from the oak and earthy sweetness from the honey. The heavily roasted malts hang out underneath as well as the chocolate, which really takes a back seat compared to the regular version where it steals the show. The finish is completely different as well with a hefty alcohol burn coating the throat.

Mouthfeel, much like the regular version, is stunning. Just completely coats the mouth, so smooth with just the right carbonation.

This was definitely an interesting comparison to the normal Stormaktsporter and they differed more than I expected. This beer is probably more complex and definitely has an earthier, oakier character. Definitely one of the better beers I've ever had and marginally better than the normal version. Very different beers though...

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

At Jason's CO Stout tasting, This was a real treat: to try along side the regular Stormaktsporter. Tiny bottle that pours a deep coffee brown with a very thin tan head, Wow! Barrel flavors come through along with rich, sweet chocolates... mocha,,cocoa, creamy butterscotch... what a masterpiece. I can understand the hype. Never-ending / mouthcoating flavors. My favorite stout of the tasting and of those I've rated. Yummy stuff!

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

I knew 2010 was going to be one hell of a year for new and rare beer experiences. Never did I think that an encounter with these Swedish beasts would be in store.

Tasted on October 16th, side by side with the base Stormaktsporter. 2008 vintage.

Wonderful hiss as the cap was pried off. Pours a darkened tan head with tight bubbles. Not the darkest stout, almost the color of some porters or bocks when held to the light. Still a beauty in the glass. Could smell the deep char of the barrel from across the room. Sticking my nose in the glass and was overcome by rich oak and roasted grain aromas. Big oak driven vanilla, molasses and chocolate notes with a soft pepper coming out as well. No overly sweetened candy tones, nor soy sauced based astringency found. Just a wonderfully focused and completely distinct quality only found in the best of barrel aged stouts.

This was only the beginning.

Tasting this beer was a lesson in balance. The absolute clear expression of the barrel came through without overwhelming the base beer. No note of oxidation nor any of cloying sweetness. Hops played a very small roll, mostly in bitterness just like the malt. Similar in the nose, big vanilla and floral flavors of honeyed toast and milk chocolate. Not as much molasses as the regular Stomaktsporter, which I liked. Such a pleasure to sip again and again. As rich as some stouts can get and as whiskey forward as other barrel aged beers are, this one truly set the bar without being intimidating.

The labels for these beers are not that exciting on a visual level but their simplistic subtly were perfect in representing the inside nectar.

To age a beer in barrels is the most interesting form of a 'special beer' in my eyes. Many of my favorites are done this way. After having the Kaggen!, I may have to rethink what could be the best.

I don't know of another beer that comes off as being so balanced and yet so complex. Something so varied in flavor while having such subtly. If calling a 10% beer 'clean' makes sense, I want to say thats how this one came off. Truly a beer to be within the top 5 of barrel aged stouts, and in terms of sheer balance, one of the best beers being made today.

Just amazing.

Thanks again Jason (Popkas).

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%

Look everyone, I'm finally in the Kaggen! club. I had pretty much written off this beer to some distant future, after the kids had grown and left the nest the wife and I take a trip to Europe for a month and I would drink the rarest Cantillons and shot gun bottles of Kaggen!...distant distant future, far after the Mayan calendar destroys us all and most of Europe is underwater as a direct result of the war with cyborgs. BUT, Thorpe429 moved that time table up 30 years with a casual invite to come over and help him slay this treasure. I was eager to provide my assistance. Thanks Mike. Might not get another opportunity to do this for several years / decades, I am very appreciative.

Served in a tulip, 2007 vintage. Beer is black. Thin head that breaks and floats toward the walls of the glass, no lacing, the head is a little sad, hard to motivate, carbonation is low, looks like a big stout to me!

Yep, this beer smells perfect. I could have smelled it all day long, just smelled it. I didn't want to drink it, I was afraid I couldn't smell it anymore. This feeling was universal I have to say. There was chocolate and vanilla in there, a healthy but not overly oakiness as well. There is sweetness and mild alcohol but its not cloying or hot at all. Its very "complex" -- it almost turns to a liquor aroma after a while, a mild whiskey or something slightly fruitier, but its not oxidized.

Beer is a little lighter in the body than I was expecting but I suppose I should have been expecting the way it was due to the ABV being so high. Leads off with a definite sweetness, mild alcohol but its not drying. Great palate connectivity, the beer sort of coats the tongue, lingering with these subtle fruit flavors and general sweetness, creamy in the mouth, no help from carbonation at this point but this beer doesn't even need it. Its a very good beer. Have it again? Definitely. If I ever get a hold of a bottle of this, it will be shared with a group of beer nerds who fantasize about this as much as I had.

Kaggen! Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB