Stormaktsporter | Närke Kulturbryggeri AB

Närke Kulturbryggeri AB
Sweden
kulturbryggeri.se

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

For the cask matured version of this beer, please do a search for "Kaggen!".

Added by HopHead84 on 01-11-2009

Vintage 2007

How would this one stand out against the upper-class of "American" (Russian) Imperial Stouts and the Kaggen!. Thanks to Dan I could have an epic beertasting evening with some friends with Surly Darkness, Darklord, Kate the Great, Abyss, Sexual Chocolate, Cigar City 110K OT Batch2, Speedway stout and on the other side, Stormaktsporter regular and Kaggen!.

Look: Like the kaggen!, very very very dark, with an magnificent dark brown creamy head.

Smell: Highly similar to the Kaggen! here as well. The smell is amazingly rich: raisins, other dark fruits, vanilla, coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Maple syrup and creamy milk. too much to describe. Compared to the Kaggen! Only the bourbon and oak are missing.

Taste: Like the Kaggen!, compared to most other imperial stouts, all of the smell comes back in the taste. And man, this beer is so well balanced. The aftertaste I like the most, long and it is so incredibly rich and creamy.... creamy coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: not extremely thick, but so creamy and smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Overall: Highly similar to the Kaggen, only the bourbon taste is missing, can drink this one whole day. An excellent 2nd place in our beer tasting, just behind the Kaggen! and before the also fantastic abyss. Wish I had more of this one....

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Huge thanks to Alex for sharing this brew, and for being an exceptionally awesome guy all-around.

A - It pours an inky black; sticky, with a nice volume of deep mocha-hued head, and an overall enticing appearance that begs the question: 'will it live up to (my lofty) expectations?'

S - The aroma is not unusual for the style, but it is sublime: nuances of roasted grain, burnt coffee, bittersweet chocolate, raw cocoa, burnt honey, and sweetly of raisin-plum. Hasn't let me down yet.

T - HFS. And JFC. This stuff tastes just like shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock.

M - The diamonds and all the platinum and gold trinkets are a bit lumpy, but they obviously make it taste better.

D - I was hoping it would be this good. And it is. Thanks Alex.

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a true black, not too much head, but that was probably due to the careful pour, had to ration it evenly! It swirls up great in the glass though, a beautiful dark brown head, that leaves creamy brown spotted lacing on the glass.

Smells surprisingly fresh and light! And light in a really good way, as in that nothing is overpowering or sickly. But not light as in easy or non-complex, oh no! There are a truckload of different aromas here, starting up with roasted rye bread and dark chocolate, honey, plums, prunes, dried figs and herbs. There are also a light tartness to it all that makes me think of ripe red berries, raspberries in particular.

Powerful taste, huge taste. Starts off roasted, almost a bit burnt, but not overpowering, not at all, you can all the while feel the awesome flavours behind it! I get rye bread and chocolate, faint hint of espresso coffee and a very light sweetness reminiscent of honey and ripe strawberries and maybe blackberries. As the initial roasted feel resceeds for a while, a pleasant and light buttery sensation steps forward together with a fruity prescense in the form of plums, the aforementioned berries and date plums, but this last only for a moment, and then the aftertaste kicks in...!
And shit, what an aftertaste, here come the bitterness you only just suspected in the periphery of your palate throughout the taste, and it is accompanied by a the roasted rye bread that makes its comeback! The bitterness lingers and carries with it memories of all the other different flavours experienced throughout the tasting of this magnificient beer. My mouth seriously starts to water like a waterfall just a few seconds after swallowing thanks to this aftertaste, magnificient.

Mouthfeel is not as viscous as I'd like it, even though that might be a contributing factor to why this beer never gets heavy or hard to drink at any time, the carbonation is spot on.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Holy jesus! I wasn't expecting this one to be found soon (at least not by me as I live so for away from the bigger cities of Sweden), but luckily I went to Gothenburg and found this one on-tap(!).

Looks really good, a deep black color with a nice, tight, beige foam. Really nice, the looks almost makes me drool.

Aroma is crazy, tons of honey, rosted malts, slightly hoppy notes. But there are also hints of fudge and slight notes of raisins which gives it a slightly wineous hint. Great! It's hard to describe how good it smells, I really wish for every fan of beer to be able to try this one on-tap.

Now to the taste. How is it? Loads of honey, molasses, fudge, chocolate, vanilla and hints of those earlier mentioned raisins. It is hard to develope the description of the taste further, this has got to be tried out.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Hm, it seems I only use BA nowdays for rating Stormaktsporter; this time I had this edition on-tap at The Rover, Gothenburg. Here we go!

Looks absolutely fantastic in the glass; very dark brown, almost black with a perfect, remaining head.

Aroma is fantastic and amazing, no bottle I've had of this has smelled like this. Wonderful vinous, dried fruits, plums, chocolate, liquorice and honey. It's somewhat sweet (or at least it smells it going to be sweet).

Taste is dominated by a wonderful balanced sweetness with lots of honey (not over the top as you can think when you add like 30% honey), dried fruits, plums, dark chocolate, liquorice, molasses.

Then... to the mouthfeel. Wow. Wonderful smooth, extremely fullbodied. I've never tasted anything as filling as this. I love it more than anything else.

I'm so glad I had the chance to try this. Just incredible.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Huge thanks to Bosse for this one, I had been wanting to try it forever and decided to end my first evening of vacation, quietly sipping on this in a lovely white birch glass. Consumed on 08/07/2010.

A thick and inky black pour welcomes me into the session. Dark as night with a creamy mocha colored head on top that rises to a height that was near a fingers depth. Settling down it left some nice lacing that dripped down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is warming, huge chocolate notes, hints of vanilla, a touch of light coffee as it warms. It is very full, but yet very welcoming would be the best way to put it. As it comes up to room temperature it just seems to fit. Unlike some big ris that can come off, well just too big, this is mellow with the roasted malts and chocolate soothing and each sip just perfect. It is not trying to push the envelope and there is no huge alcohol warming from this. Smooth, decadent and perfectly placed I literally could have sipped on this one for days, it was just that good. Final sips revealed a touch of licorice bitterness but a mostly vanilla and cocoa led sweetness that was more then what I could have asked for.

Overall I did like this 2008 version better then kaggen! only due to its subtly and just nearly flawless presentation. If I could I would have this one every day.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

From 6/12/10 notes. Got to sample this side by side with Kaggen! thanks to nimbleprop, big thanks Mac! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an inch of light brown head and no carbonation.

s - Smells of chocolate, cocoa, light coffee, dark fruits, and roasted malts.

t - I know this isn't oak aged, but I thought I tasted some oak in it. Also tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and a lot of dark fruit. Hint of booze.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink 9% ABV.

d - An amazing beer that I was really glad I got to taste. To be honest, I thought this and Kaggen! were very similiar, with this having a little more pronounced dark fruit and Kaggen! having more oak. Both are easily 2 of the best beers I have ever had and I would love to try them again some day.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

I drank 2 versions of this from a bottle into a small tasting glass at the brewery with Hans the owner-head brewer.

The 08 verision was better than the kaggen 08, but the 05 kaggen was better than the regular. Part of this was because the 08 kaggen wasn't a great, part of its is the 05 kaggen has been aging 5 years! Anyway both versions are unreal in every way. The beer is black, not tons of carbonation its light tan, lighter than the Kaggen in both cases. Really nice light chocolately aroma, hint of vanilla super nice to smell...Its so tasty and super easy to drink.

This is an unreal beer that should be as hyped as the Kaggen. Get your hands on either and you are a lucky sob.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Shared by nickd717. Thanks, Nick! 2008 vintage.

Black in the glass, faintly translucent and topped by a two finger mocha-colored head that retains well for a stout this big. The aroma is intensely chocolatey and roasty. Slight vinous notes are noticeable beneath the scent of rich milk chocolate, and there are hints of licorice, molasses and honey. Remarkably nuanced and complex. On the tongue it opens with chocolate and molasses, followed by spicy licorice, sharp roastiness, honey and a touch of caramel. Medium-full in body, mellow yet infinitely complex and drinkable. The finish is mildly roasty and bitter with a touch of smoke and licorice. Phenomenal.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Well, here we go. This was the 100th give this one Imperial Stout I've rated over on RB, which is a big deal considering that's my favorite style (and second most rated after IPA). 250ml bottle via trade, huge thanks to bierkoning over on "the other site." 2008 vintage, released in 2009. Shared at a very small tasting with a few guys from BA.

The appearance is awesome. Pours darkest brown, not quite black, with a creamy tan head that settles over time, eventually leaving smooth thin foam and swirls in the beer.

Aroma is roasty and complex, with chocolate, coffee, anise, spices, and dark fruits. Nothing overpowers and it all works really well together.

Flavor is similarly complex and amazing. Caramel, chocolate, toffee, dark fruits (raisin, plum, date), vanilla, herbal and floral notes, maybe even some hops.

Very smooth and creamy on the mouthfeel with medium-full body and an incredibly long finish.

Overall, not quite as awesome as Kaggen, but still an absolute masterpiece of a beer. Ridiculously high drinkability.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

2008 vintage bottle split with younger35 and natasharai this afternoon. I would like to preface this review by stating that I prefer this beer over the more heralded barrel aged version, and I'm glad I was able to share the wealth

Pours black into a 4 oz. taster glass...not the ideal vessel for reviewing the appearance of a beer--but really, who cares what it looks like anyway. Going to score appearance so that my final score is in line with what I think this beer deserves.

The aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, marshmallow, and citrus hops. Not brash and bold, but still deep and complex. The flavor is similar in that sense. Lots of toasty wood and marshmallow, with layers of chocolate and coffee bean bitterness, with a finish of resiny hops and a healthy dose of smokiness. The body is between medium and full, and the carbonation is soft making for a nice creamy feel.

After only 3 oz. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. This is a beer that I could drink a bottle of every night for the rest of my life. It is not your typical beefed up "top tier" Imperial Stout...there would be no mistaking this for something like Dark Lord or Darkness. Just a very easy drinking, complex, subtle masterpiece of a beer.

For comparison's sake, I personally felt that this beer was similar to the best batches of HOTD Adam. But maybe even better. World class for sure.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

2007 vintage. Acquired in a trade with a great Beer Advocate. I've been waiting to try this one for a long time.

I poured this into my Alesmith Ten Year Anniversary glass. Stormaktsporter is nearly black with a dark brown, one finger head. The head recedes after a minute and leaves a bubbly ring where the beer meets the glass. Lacing is scattered. The bottle is small. It appears to be less than 33cl.

The aroma is quite complex. Strong notes of roasted malt. Aromas of dark chocolate and fudge are very nice. There is an undertone of freshly ground coffee beans accompanied by the faint presence of toffee, truffles, and dark fruits. No alcohol is noticeable in the aroma.

The flavor is even more complex than the aroma. The first flavors that I perceive are that of black coffee and dark chocolate. The alcohol presence is strong. The chocolate flavor is sweet but I would not describe this as a sweet beer because there is a decent level of bitterness. Dark fruits are a small part of the flavor, and the fudge that was present in the aroma is present in the flavor. The finish is incredibly long, over a minute. It's an extended review of each flavor I tasted and seems to say, "Here is the coffee. Here is the vanilla. Here is the chocolate. Do you remember the dark fruits? We'll go through them once more in case you've forgotten." Alcohol is once again noticeable in the dry and very, very long finish. Stormaktsporter leaves my lips sticky and mouth bone dry and wanting another sip.

Full bodied and a somewhat viscous mouthfeel. Carbonation is good. I'll shed a tear when my glass is empty, for I know not when I shall taste this beautiful beer again.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

May 2012, I opened up this bottle in Sweden at a tasting with my Swedish friends that featured a vertical of 2006, 2007 and 2008 Stormaktsporter and 2007 and 2008 Kaggen! Stormaktsporter.

This what I thought in comparison to the Stormaktsporter to the other vintages and to the Kaggen!

A - midnight black beer pours forth from all 3 botles. All 3 years have the same squid ink color to it but I am noticing less carbonation on the 2007 than the other two years. The amber colored foam slowly settles and some lacing remains on all the glasses.

S - Strong roasted malts, a little bit of a sweetness to the nose that I believe reminds me of (strangely enough chocolate carrot cake). There is definetely some anise in the nose and I notice that the 2008 has more of a stronger chocolate nose to it with a what I could almost swear is a burnt cork smell (even though it's not oak aged. Where am I getting this from?) . The 2006 has lots more of a roasted burnt coffee smell to it and the anise nose is slightly faded away. Smells absolutely heavenly and it's because no one characteristic in the nose for either three years dominates my senses.

T - Shockingly well balanced. Nothing is overly sweet. 2006 is holding up and I see no faults with any of these three being past its prime or peak. I would have expected some muted flatness to perhaps show up with the age but it's holding itself extremely well and I can't taste oxidation like I did when drinking Olfrabrikken Porter 2007 the same night.. Good god how is this holding up so well? I think that I prefer 2006 the most because I'm not the biggest fan of the anise and I love how mellowed out it has become with the roastiness of the malts really settling in..

M - Carbonation is minimal and there is less body than I expected. The thinness in the body is the most disappointing part but at the same time I shouldn't be expecting to chew my imperial stouts..

O - I'm glad I have enough to share and drink for coming years. This is really remarkable and I'm shocked that all 3 can hold up after these years..

Stormaktsporter from Närke Kulturbryggeri AB