Skull Crusher Scotch Style Ale | Ramapo Valley Brewery

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a RAMAPO bottle into me Weyerbacher goblet with a flat dark browm hue. No light getting thru this one. Oh, and head? We don't need no stinkin' head. A mere millimeter thin ring around the glass. 10% ABV explains that.

Scents are slight when cold from the fridge, but once warmed, all dark malts, like smelling a glass of dark maple syrup and a hint of port wine.

Flavor says total malts. How do I describe this? I am actually going to say that this reminds me of Sam Adams Triple Bock, just a bit. [I never did a Sam Adams Triple Bock due to only trying it in small quantaties.] Actually going to say overbearing dark roast. Like tea mixed with coffee. Not like a stoudt mind you, like a maple syrup that burned in a pan. A bit of root beer hints in an lingering aftertaste. Whew! This is a big drink.

Thick feel that coats me tongue to beg for mercy! Uncle!!! My lips are actually sticky with this stuff.

One per nite limit is built in.

Last swigs: Thick "burnt" flavor that has some peat moss flavors. A serious Scotch that is not for the weak. Am I drinking maple syrup? Abit one dimensional, but who is complaining?

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle to SN pint.

A: dark brown, cloudy orange highlights. inch head. cascading lacing.

S: caramel, toffee, waffle.

T: slight caramel, slight malt, slight 'beer' or bread taste.

F: smooth pop to tickles

D: Hides the abv very well, but doesn't have much of a flavor profile besides the faint malty caramel. Overall there are many more Scottish ales out there that I prefer, but always trying to find more winners in this truly delicious style - especially as the nights get colder!!

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%