Southern Pecan | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

Added by Todd on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 571 | Ratings: 1,744
3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nothing special, you can hardly taste the pecans. the body is almost spot on.

Taste Rating in Words: It's like going to pick pecans, you eat one and on the second one you realize you just ate a twig.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%

Nice brew, for a shelf beer from Kroger especially ...

Deep red/ Copper color with a tiny white head ..

Smell and taste are just a hint of pecan with some sweet malt backbone and a hint of caramel ..almost a sweet tea type after taste..

This is about as good as any other mass produced nut brown I've ever had..

3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to whomever who has included these in trades/pick ups. Pours a standard to slightly lighter average brown color. Interesting aroma, this beer is all about talking up the pecans and whatnot, but you don't discern any specific "pecan" aroma, more of just the regular nutty aromas and brown malt you come across on something like this.

Taste, nice smooth middle of the road maltiness. Not sludgy, not thin either. More caramel than toffee malt flavors. Carbonation in the right amount. Enjoyable and better than average for style.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first offering from the "oldest brewery in Mississippi". This brown ale called Southern Pecan was decent enough...

What pours out of the bottle is a very nice caramel colored liquid, good head, but no staying power and no lacing to even hint. I tried to pull out the pecan notes but all I got was a strong scent of maple (which in itself was not bad.) The feel was light, crisp, but considerably carbonated - enough to detract in my opinion. Though I didn't taste any pecans (as I was hoping for something akin to a pecan pie) I did enjoy this as a decent brown ale. The packaging sure does build up one's expectation, and in this case they fall way short.

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Burnt copper color with a thin tan head. Pecan aroma and flavor were clearly evident, along with a malty caramel and bread flavor. Not an everyday drink, but enjoyable.

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark copper, with tan head.
S: Caramel malt with a hint of pecan aromas.
T: Very balanced and light pecan sweetness.
M: Surprisingly light, and any lingering tastes goes away quickly.
O: A decent beer, though it doesn't live up to the name if you were looking for in your face pecan flavors.

3.49/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12-oz bottle into nonic pint glass

A - 1 finger of khaki foam over a cloudy body of dark copper; no lacing

S - caramel sweetness, nuts/pecans, roasted malts

T - caramel sweetness, nuts/pecans, roasted grains, herbal and grassy notes

M - light/medium body, medium/high carbonation; thinner than expected--disappointing

O - A friend of mine suggested that I order a keg of this. I'm glad I did not take his advice. I've had worse beers, but I would not enjoy drinking this on tap every day for three months.

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

Look- Amber
Smell- malt, pecan, hint of caramel
Taste- Not too sweet. Pecan definitely the main flavor. Hint of caramel
Feel- Much lighter than expected. First thought it would be very thick
Overall- Good. Pecan flavor is sweet but not overpowering. Definitely worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice brown color with a decent head and some lacing. I picked a single up out of curiosity. The malts and the pecans stand out in this one (no surprise). No sign of bitterness whatsoever, but it does have a sweet tone of caramel and roasted pecans (which is also what it smells like). There is nothing complex going on here with yeasts or spice, but it is a solid, refreshing, and potable ale that isn't really heavy. It is on the thin side and has medium carbonation--so the mouthfeel is nice, but there is a real lack of sizzle. Worth trying. I can see why it won a bronze at the World Beer Cup.

3.49/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle, pours as a deep gold with a foamy tan head that disipated quickly. This is unusual as a beer. It really has a nutty pecan aroma and flavor. There is a sweet malty caramel but also a bready flavor. Overall, this is a bit of a novelty beverage rather than a real beer.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

You can definitely taste the roasted pecans in this beer. It is true to a brown ale and not overly roasted. Got better as it warmed up a bit. I will look for this beer again.

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Nice copper color with a Littleton head. Nose is nutty, sweet malts, grassy, biscuit. Taste praline, caramel, hint of spice. Finish is clean. This beer is on the fence for me. The praline taste is different but it gets pretty sweet tasting the more you drink it, which I'm not a fan of. So try at your leisure. I'll have another but maybe won't buy whole 6 pack next time.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It is a hot August High Noon.
I have nothing of great import to do.
So I will travel south of The Mason Dixon Line for a bit.
Lazy Magnolia, Southern Pecan, Nut Brown Ale. Already diggin' this.
Pours a dark copper, (lucky) like a well aged penny, a bit of eggshell head (nice).
This brown ale nose, just the hint of sweet praline. ...hoping for goodness.
I want to smell some southern pine, Just to feel like I crossed the line.
I like the dry nutty feel on my tongue, a little pucker. Yes!
There is a bit of lager flavor and an infusion of bitter.
This is a wonderful bit of southern hospitality.

2.84/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: It's brown, thankfully not another color or I'd feel pretty gypped. A finger of off-white head that recedes quickly, not much lacing.
S: Mostly caramel. Maybe a little bit of pecan or nuts, but pecans have a very subtle smell so I might be getting more malt than anything. Roasted notes, but little else.
T: More of the same. I really hate when that happens, I hope that when I taste a beer I get something more than what was in the nose. Honestly, the flavor profile is too thin.
F: Pretty light. Carbonation was fairly lazy here, though, and it doesn't settle in the stomach too well. If this were a lighter beer I could forgive the weak texture. At least it's refreshing.
Overall: Ho-hum. It's on the above side of average, but only just, which is a shame. I love pecans. I don't love this beer. But don't let that stop you from trying it.

To good health and good beer.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%

I wanted to like this beer a lot. I ordered a keg, and had a good experience. I bought it bottled and had a far worse experience.

L: A pleasing brown ale. Not too deep or rich. The head was far more lasting and presented some lacing from the keg pour. From the bottle there was very little head

S: Nice smell of pecan and roasted malt.

T: Too light for my taste. Pecan or any other nut, not sure that I could tell a difference if I had not been told what to expect.

F: Pleasant if light. I shared with a group who do prefer lighter beers and they all seemed more pleased with this than I was.

O: Drinkable and simple nut brown ale. If you can get it on tap the experience is far superior to the bottled variety.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear brown color wit beige head. Aroma has caramel malt, dark sugar and a int of cacao. Taste starts with a really interesting nutty malt flavor which goes on through the whole taste spectrum. Light body with soft carbonation. Overall it's a really balanced, easy drinking, nutty brown ale.

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A fairly mediocre beer. Pours a fairly decent clear amber color with a small white head. Head retention is average at best with little or no lacing. Aroma is light, some roasted malt and another smell that is probably dry, ground pecan. The aroma is not particularly interesting. Flavor is roasted malt and the ground pecan nut flavor. OK but not that impressive. Mouthfeel is light even for the style. My first beer from Mississippi, but that is all that is unique about it.

2.84/5  rDev -21.8%

Thin and bland from beginning to end. I would never guess that this was pecan flavored if the label hadn't already told me it's supposed to be. Now it's impossible to shake the placebo effect, but really it's just a vague nut ale with some vanilla. Morphs into foam at the slightest movement, if you pour it right the whole thing will be head. Looked tasty, but basically nutty Pabst.

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. It pours a pretty reddish-brown with a thin, milk-white head and lacing that disappeared very quickly. It smells like pecans and roasted malt. When sipped, there is an initial sweet caramel malt taste and a mild pecan aftertaste but not much else going on. It's relatively creamy and with an ABV of 4.5% it is very easy to drink. Overall, there simply is not much flavor.

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%

L: loses head quickly, brown almost caramel
A: not much to go on
T: interesting pecan hint. Not too sweet, almost zero hops comes through.
M: too thin, almost water
I: I actually really like it. Much brighter and thinner than I expected for an English Brown Ale.

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark amber
Smells like an apothecary shop
Taste weakly like a brown ale. Really weird, no notes of pecans at all.
Mouthfeel is thin.

Picked this up out of curiosity. Wont buy again.

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Rich dark red color, light cap that quickly goes away.

Aroma: Caramel malt, toffee, little apparent hops. I closed my eyes trying to get a whif of some pecan in there but didn't find that specific scent.

Taste: Very good, mildly rich in a caramely, toffeeish way. Honeyish, seemingly sweet without being cloyingly sweet, nice in an almost non beer way. Hops are present in the background but never assert themselves.

Texture: Medium full without being chewy. Good balance of the flavors presented.

Overall: Not a bad try at whatever they were trying for. To me it's more of a British mild without the freshness of a proper cask ale. It tastes good to our resident Guiness fan and to visitors who really don't drink much beer. The worst I can say is it probably won't appeal to a dedicated beer drinker except as a novelty. The best I can say is I don't think it's flavor will offend anyone and is much better than these hard root beers currently on the market.

3.23/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

If Budweiser made a brown ale this is what it would taste like. The look, smell, taste, and mouthfeel are absolutely lifeless. This is water with a touch of a brown added. How this scores in the 80's is beyond me. Over half the bottle went down my drain.

2.56/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

11/04/2012
Bottle to Pint Glass
Faint nutty aroma. Dark Brown Pour. good flavor, but the peripherals bring this beer down.
Grapefruit, Pecan, Celery. But not enough pecan.

Disappointed

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

LAZY MAGNOLIA SOUTHERN PECAN BROWN 3/3/16

The last of the four new brews from my latest beer club shipment. We don't get this Mississippi brewery's products distributed in my state.

a; Clear reddish copper with a pillowy two inch thick white head which receded to thin surface foam and a little spotty lacing.

s; Buttery

t: Caramel malt up front with some hop bite. Sweet finish.

m: Smooth medium with good body and carbonation tingle.

o: A pleasant, easy-drinking brown, perhaps slightly light for the style, and any pecan tinge escaped this drinker.

Southern Pecan from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company