Southern Pecan | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

Added by Todd on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 562 | Ratings: 1,715
4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Major kudos to trill for supplying me a six pack of this. I tried it for the first time today and beyond a doubt, this is a very good beer.

Appearance is a strong amber/brick red, almost completely brown ale with a nice head and a good amount of lacing. Certainly a nice looking brew straight from the bottle.

Smell is quite strong in pecans and malts. This is a sweet smelling brew with a nice kick of bitterness to the nostrils. Talk about a quality brew!

Taste is awesome. This stuff certainly hits a home run out of the park. The pecan flavoring is strong, but not overpowering, with the ale and blends together in a nice combination that goes down nicely with a thick, tasty aftertaste. Great stuff!

Mouthfeel is nice, frothy and flavorful. It tastes like salty, roasted pecans and dark well-brewed ale. Need I say more?

Drinkability is top notch. A sixer of this certainly will not do. In order to stock up next time, you'd have to have a case, minimum. It's a great brew to enjoy the summer nights.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer was a pleasant surprise. The name says "pecan", and there definitely is a bit of a smell and lingering aftertaste of sweety pecan, although largely lost in the general taste of the beer itself. Overall, not a truly outstanding beer, but definitely one that has enough generally going for it to be sufficiently interesting, while not being disagreeable in any way.

It's generally a good quality nut type of ale that seems to be very balanced without being too nutty. I am the type of beer drinker that is fairly adventurous and likes to sample different tasting beer, even if I can't drink such beer over and over again because of the strong taste - i.e., the strong taste, while interesting, is just TOO strong (or with some aspect that is disagreeable) to do over and over again. However, this pecan ale doesn't have this problem at all. I could definitely see this as a session beer, and easily an interluding beer between such stronger beers. If I were somewhere and only this were available, I would not be discouraged in the least.

The reviewer donkeyrunner mentioned that this does not have the tea taste aspect that the typical nut brown ale has - and I concur 100%. Although I like tea by itself, for me, it doesn't mesh well with beer, and this beer does not have that problem.

I will say that if you are in more of canonical "beer mood" with its requisite hoppiness, this will definitely disappoint. However, if you are in - as the brewer's name says - a "lazy" mood, this is almost perfect.

The bottom line is that as since this beer is made very close to my home and thus easily obtainable at the local supermarket, it has gained a spot in my regular rotation - which is saying something as there are few beers that I think so highly of as to have that coveted recognition. I recommend folks in the LA-MS-AL region to try it.

Edit: While I have been reading others' reviews of this beer, I have been savoring the aftertaste from the one I had been drinking while reviewing. The aftertaste may be the best I've ever had in a beer. For that reason, I'm bumping up my rating ... and opening up another!

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to trill for a six pack of this fine southern brew.

Poured a dark clear ruby with little to no head. Smells of sweet caramel malts with hints of nuttiness which one would assume is the pecans. Has a sweet taste at the start which is well balanced my the dry nutty flavor. The sweetness takes over and the pecan flavor seems to fade and hang out in the back. This is medium-bodied that is somewhat thick but not too much. I believe it is a great session beer. Its a great southern American rendition of a great brown ale style. I would like to try other Lazy Magnolia brews. Hopefully they start bottling others.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with brianj555, thanks for the opportunity to try this interesting beer, currently drinking as I type this, poured into my Firestone pint glass

A-Deep amber color, 3/4 inch creamy tan head, went away quickly, not much retention, some lacing between sips
S-Pecan pie, caramel, toffee, sweet malts, lots of nuttiness, some mild chocolate, and
T-Lots of pecans up front, really can taste the difference between this and standard English-style brown ale, dryer and not as sweet, also seems like a fuller taste, flavor becomes more rounded towards the end, lots of cream and malt in the finish
M-Sweet, roasted, and nutty mouthfeel, low level of carbonation, body is pretty thin for a brown, taste lingers nicely
D-Could drink a few bottles of this with ease, especially with the low ABV, smooth, cannot taste any booze, great flavor

Love nut browns and this one was a must try for that reason, had not heard much about this brewery but I am impressed so far, pretty much exactly what I was expecting, would drink again, recommended

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

On tap at Hal and Mal's, downtown Jackson, MS.

Appearance: rich brown with copper hues; half finger head that quickly dissipates

Smell: malts pop up, then the pecans start to meld in, followed by hints of chocolate and brown sugar

Taste: Robust! What a brown ale should be. The nutty/malt textures with slight chocolate and sugar/cinnamon really round out the flavoring.

Mouthfeel: medium; lingers on the tongue

Overall: One of my favorite go-to beers. Southern Pecan is great from bottle to glass, but even smoother on tap. Definately Lazy Magnolia's best brew.

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

Copper brown with a white head. No lacing.

Aroma is a malty nuttiness. Nothing spectacular, but pleasant. Taste really brings it home though. Great medley of pecan and malt, with a sweet, but not cloying, backbone. Very tasty. Has an aftertaste that almost reminds me of sweet tea. Mouthfeel is good -- medium bodied, appropriate carbonation.

Really an excellent beer that exceeded my expectations. I think this is the best "session" strength beer I've ever had. Instant favorite of mine.

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

A beautiful clear brown brew with a hint of dark ruby when the light hits right. One inch tan full head that lasted a good bit and left nice lacing.

The taste was of a light hopped carnation based on a not too sweet caramel canvas leaving a nutty taste sprinkled on the platter. Whether or not it was pecan, I'm not sure, but it was good nonetheless. The bartender told me this beer was well-balanced, and a lot of times ppl just describe beers that way when they have nothing else to say, but she was right - amazingly balanced.

Loved this beer, and I'm saddened that I saw it for the first time in Nashville it probably won't see it anytime soon in DC. Whether for session, taste, refreshment, whatever... this beer will give you what you need.

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%

Another unique Deep South selection from BOTMC, lets give it a whirl. Popping the top this brew does smell like a pecan pie. Brown sugar, spices and pecans. Pours into a pint with a foamy three finger small bubble head. Colour is an orangeish bonze. Taste of this brew is outstanding. Nice malt sweetness but not overly sweet, balanced by a chaulky but not bitter hopping followed with a nice nuttiness and a semi sweet aftertaste with a hint of bitterness. This is not all unlike a pecan pie but not as sweet. For a nut brown ale this hits the mark and is one of the better examples out there. With the taste of this brew combined with a 4.25 ABV this is a session brew without a doubt. I will buy if available here locally.

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%

Truly up to par with an English Brown. Pour is reddish brown with a pretty thin head. Crystal clear in color with relatively low carbonation.

Smell is comprised of sweet malts with a nice nutty scent along side.

Taste is exactly the same and great! Caramel malt, somewhat of a grainy flavor and maybe even a little wheat to it. I also pick up a very light chocolate in the background. A slightly crisp and a nutty finish that shows up more the closer to room temp. the beer gets.

Medium mouthfeel for such a low ABV beer, mainly due to the carbonation. Not much of a bitter finish, lower in hop character just like an English Brown should be.

I find this quite drinkable and a solid representation of the style. Glad I have a couple more to drink on because I think one of them will be opened tonight.

A great job from a Mississippi brewery that I'm thinking is the first to bottle a beer from that state? Solid!

Thanks to deepsouth for helping me out...

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a bottle into my nugget nectar pint glass

A - pours a dark nut brown color with very little foam that immediately disappeared into just a few bubbles

S - earthy malt aroma, nutty

T - strong pecan/nut flavor along with a mild brown ale sweetness

M/D - very drinkable in my book, the only problem is the nutty sweetness can become overpowering after a few. very nice beer though.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer pours a nice brown color with a decent head. It smells and tastes pretty much as it's labeled on the bottle. Nice aroma of sweet nuts without being overpowering and malts. The taste is very well balanced, it's not too sweet like other brown ales and the hint of pecan tastes very authentic. It's pretty light bodied for a brown ale. I really love this beer and it is superior when compared to the Abita Pecan Harvest Ale. I could drink a sixer of these with no problem.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

This is a beer great for people who love beer and even those who don't. Sweet but not syrupy and it's a surprisingly easy to drink beer. Perfect to have when firing up the grill in the summer.

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%

See-through brown with a medium tan head. Minimum retention and lace. Smells of brown sugar and cinnamon backed up by mild allspice.

Very relaxing and flavorful brown! Tastes of brown sugar, mild vanilla and toned down pecan pie. All meld well together and LMSP is very balanced. None of that tea-like flavor that most English style browns tend to have (I think that's a good thing). Hearty, creamy mouthfeel. Nice low abv. This would make for some great summer porch drinking--a new fav.

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%

I am coming to love Brown Ales and this beer is no exception.

Purchased a six-pack at my local Publix grocery store.

A - typical brown color that comes with this type of beer; little to no head retention

S - wonderful aroma; slight caramel and hops; THIS IS WHAT A BROWN ALE SHOULD SMELL LIKE!

T - much more hops in the taste than in the aroma, but not something that overpowers; charcoal and nutty back flavor

M - flows nicely; a little flat, but not so much that it is distracting

D - This beer is not for the first time beer drinker, but is wonderful for someone looking for a alternative to the typical, middle of the road ale

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I get this on tap at The Vault here in Jacksonville and at The J. Clyde in Birmingham. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Comes to me as a dark amber with a good deal of head at time of pour. The head recedes rather quickly but it still leaves a good deal of lacing.

S: Caramel, sweet malts, nuts, and pecans. Smells awesome.

T: Sweet honey-roasted pecans, malt, spices. Hops come through on the backend to balance out the sweetness. Very tasty.

M: The sweetness coats your mouth and it sticks around for a while. The beer still is crisp with a good balance of carbonation.

D: I can only drink a couple pints of this in a sitting because of it being a bit sweet. It is still quite tasty and refreshing. Damned good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +16.5%

pours a very nice dark amber, with a almost tan head not quit one finger thick, and it fizzels out quickly, barley any lacing around the a standard pint glass.
aromas of sweet carmel at first, which surprised me i was expecting more pecan. i also could pick up on the malt and some fruitness to it.
tastes up front has some sweetness to it, more of a malt or carmel, and some roasted nutty flavor. i really could not pick up on the pecans, but hey maybe i need another. cheers.

4.23/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm not usually a huge fan of english nut brown ales, but this might be the best one I've ever tried

Appeerance - dark like maple syrup, not much of a head and no lacing

Smell - a sweet smell, not unlike brown sugar

Taste - one of the most striking features of this beer is the sweetness to it, not like most nut brown ales this beer's sweetness is almost criminal. Certainly evoking its namesake

Mouthfeel - slightly syrupy in the way the beer passes around the mouth.

Drinkability - very much so!

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a fairly light, clear ruddy brown color. It poured with a fairly large tan head.

s: Very nice maly nuttiness with hints of vanilla and coffee.

t: This is on the sweet side, but so are pecans so that works very well for me. I tasted a little vanilla and roasty malts with plenty of pecan power.

m: Maybe a little thin, but probablt appropriate for a small beer.

o: Loved it, very glad I got to try it.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a clear dark amber, brown color with medium head that dissipated quickly leaving slight lacing around the glass.

S - Strong scent of pecans upfront with malts and slight hops.

T - Sweet malts with pecans upfront followed by caramel and slightly bitter towards the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Light in abv, very drinkable. Overall very sweet and I almost felt like I was drinking a liquid pecan pie.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up on a trip to Florida.

A: Pours a beautiful translucent nut-brown color without a hint of any coudiness; one-finger tan head that fades rather quickly.

S: Light malt with hints of roasted pecan. The smell was much lighter/fainter than I would have expected.

T: Wow! The roasted pecan is the star here. A slightly-malty front gives way to a mildly-bitter center, followed by a dry finish. Immediately after the finish comes a burst of roasted pecan in the aftertaste, with the char of the roast in precisely the slot you'd expect the bitterness from hops in an IPA, for example.

M: This has a light body, which is precisely what a southern brewery aims for. The carbonation is not too heavy, but I imagine it would cut nicely through the fat and sugar of a good pecan pie.

D: This is a session beer if ever I'd had one. Ultimately, the roast of the pecans might be more overwhelming than anything else in the beer. I'm happy with my six-pack, and will pick up more the next time I'm in the south.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I must say that you have to try the tap if you are going to rate this beer. I had bottled first, and was disappointed. It seemed like another lazy Porter at best. I was reluctant to try it at a Gulfport pizza joint but since it was on tap there, I went for it. It seems to be popular in the area and I wanted to give it proper test. And was I pleased! This beer is so good on tap. The pecan really shines in this nutty ale. Another party at the table said they had had it before and was un-impressed, so I told them my experience. They decided to try it on tap here and they agreed that it was decisively better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Recently this was said in the Sun Herald (Gulf Coast newspaper) to have won some awards! Also it is the only decently sized brewery in Mississippi. When I heard that they were stocking some Party Pigs, I had to pick one up.

App - Beautiful redish/brown color. Two finger head that slowly disspiates as you drink it. Finishes with a small thin layer of head.

Smell - Very nutty. A slight tinge of alcohol, but nothing more prodominate than nuts.

Taste - First taste was very strange. A bit light, but then coated the entire pallet in a silky taste. Nuts and a hint of sweetness. Excellent.

Mouthfeel - Very clean, yet keeps your pallet feeling silky.

Drinkability - Excellent drinkability here. This is a beer that keeps making you want come back for more. I could drink this all night.

Notes: As being from this type of climate, this is an amazing beer to be coming from Mississippi. This is one of the finest Brown Ales I have tasted. Puts Newcastle and others to shame.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful clear Amber. Almost no foam, but I didn't miss it here. Nice carbonation, which was a surprise, given the lack of foam. Rich without being heavy, this would be great at any season. I guess it's supposed to be nutty, but I thought it was almost more maple like. Sweet, but with just enough bite on the aftertaste to make it clear that this is a real beer, not soda. The color is lovely to enjoy in a glass, but somehow the flavor intensifies from the bottle.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I don't like pecans, so initially, I was a bit hesitant but this beer is really good. It's almost dessert-like. Also, the couple that started the brewery are the perfect combination for this business: one is an electric engineer and the other is a chemical engineer!

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

My first Mississippi beer.

This had to be the tightest cap I've ever encountered. I had to use the heavy duty opener to pry this thing off.

Pours to clear, reddish brown color and thin off-white head with minimal lacing - forgivable for having oily nuts in it. Aroma is sweet caramel malt, and slight hint of chocolate and nuts. Flavor is sweet, malty and slightly nutty with a pecan-like finish. Pecan bitterness and hops balance out the malts. I could tell there are pecans in it after a while because my tongue had that certain feeling I get from eating pecans. Overall, this is a clean, tasty brown ale on the sweet side with no off-flavors or technical miscues. The nut flavor and aroma really shines through as it warms up a bit. It is very easy to drink and would be a year-round favorite if it were available in my area.

Southern Pecan from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company