Southern Pecan | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

Added by Todd on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 1,757 |  Reviews: 575

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev +6.3%

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Nice copper color with a Littleton head. Nose is nutty, sweet malts, grassy, biscuit. Taste praline, caramel, hint of spice. Finish is clean. This beer is on the fence for me. The praline taste is different but it gets pretty sweet tasting the more you drink it, which I'm not a fan of. So try at your leisure. I'll have another but maybe won't buy whole 6 pack next time.

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It is a hot August High Noon.
I have nothing of great import to do.
So I will travel south of The Mason Dixon Line for a bit.
Lazy Magnolia, Southern Pecan, Nut Brown Ale. Already diggin' this.
Pours a dark copper, (lucky) like a well aged penny, a bit of eggshell head (nice).
This brown ale nose, just the hint of sweet praline. ...hoping for goodness.
I want to smell some southern pine, Just to feel like I crossed the line.
I like the dry nutty feel on my tongue, a little pucker. Yes!
There is a bit of lager flavor and an infusion of bitter.
This is a wonderful bit of southern hospitality.

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%

2.84/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: It's brown, thankfully not another color or I'd feel pretty gypped. A finger of off-white head that recedes quickly, not much lacing.
S: Mostly caramel. Maybe a little bit of pecan or nuts, but pecans have a very subtle smell so I might be getting more malt than anything. Roasted notes, but little else.
T: More of the same. I really hate when that happens, I hope that when I taste a beer I get something more than what was in the nose. Honestly, the flavor profile is too thin.
F: Pretty light. Carbonation was fairly lazy here, though, and it doesn't settle in the stomach too well. If this were a lighter beer I could forgive the weak texture. At least it's refreshing.
Overall: Ho-hum. It's on the above side of average, but only just, which is a shame. I love pecans. I don't love this beer. But don't let that stop you from trying it.

To good health and good beer.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%

I wanted to like this beer a lot. I ordered a keg, and had a good experience. I bought it bottled and had a far worse experience.

L: A pleasing brown ale. Not too deep or rich. The head was far more lasting and presented some lacing from the keg pour. From the bottle there was very little head

S: Nice smell of pecan and roasted malt.

T: Too light for my taste. Pecan or any other nut, not sure that I could tell a difference if I had not been told what to expect.

F: Pleasant if light. I shared with a group who do prefer lighter beers and they all seemed more pleased with this than I was.

O: Drinkable and simple nut brown ale. If you can get it on tap the experience is far superior to the bottled variety.

In truth, I am not usually a beer drinker, but this brown ale is outstanding. The toasted pecan taste is amazing!

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear brown color wit beige head. Aroma has caramel malt, dark sugar and a int of cacao. Taste starts with a really interesting nutty malt flavor which goes on through the whole taste spectrum. Light body with soft carbonation. Overall it's a really balanced, easy drinking, nutty brown ale.

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A fairly mediocre beer. Pours a fairly decent clear amber color with a small white head. Head retention is average at best with little or no lacing. Aroma is light, some roasted malt and another smell that is probably dry, ground pecan. The aroma is not particularly interesting. Flavor is roasted malt and the ground pecan nut flavor. OK but not that impressive. Mouthfeel is light even for the style. My first beer from Mississippi, but that is all that is unique about it.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.84/5  rDev -21.8%

Thin and bland from beginning to end. I would never guess that this was pecan flavored if the label hadn't already told me it's supposed to be. Now it's impossible to shake the placebo effect, but really it's just a vague nut ale with some vanilla. Morphs into foam at the slightest movement, if you pour it right the whole thing will be head. Looked tasty, but basically nutty Pabst.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Lighter brown ale than expected. Notes of pecan are subtle. I'd like to see an imperial stout master the pecan flavor.

Southern Pecan from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company