Southern Pecan | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

Added by Todd on 03-26-2005

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,772 |  Reviews: 582

4.18/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful dark amber color with a thin head (dissipates in a matter of seconds), with a smell of wheat barley (minimal to no pecan smell). Flavor reminded me a lot of Sam Adams Boston Lager with a hint of nuttiness (but barely). I wouldn't exactly call this an ale because it tasted so much like a lager. An overall good and safe beer to have. However, I was expecting more than safe, but rather an unusual hint of pecan since I haven't had pecan-brewed beer before. Tasted like many other good lagers (not ales) I've had before.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a nice dark amber. The beer poured a small head that was gone pretty fast. The beer did have killer lacing though. A nice caramel smell oozed from the tumbler and when I took that first hit I was pleasantly surprised. Nice sweet hit but not overbearing, sorta like a handful of kracker jacks. I reall did not get much of a pecan taste, but that might be a good thing. I liked this one and would buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

1.75/5  rDev -51.1%

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

4.19/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - This beer is rust colored with amber highlights. It is topped with two inches of creamy beige head.

S - I get earthy, nutty aromas as well as some cocoa.

T - I get toast, toffee, nuts, and cocoa.

M - Moderate and creamy

O - This is a damn tasty nut brown ale. I'd put it right up there with Sam Smith's.

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

3.7/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This poured out as a much lighter color than I expected. It's a light brown, basically a deep orange. There is a decent looking tan head on top. The smell of the beer is roasted and has a subtle nuttiness. The taste of the beer is malty, very gentle bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel of the beer is smooth, lighter bodied and drinkable. Overall not a bad brew.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%