Southern Pecan | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

Added by Todd on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 1,778 |  Reviews: 587

3.61/5  rDev +0.8%

I let this get past the best by date by about 2 months, I will try to give slack for any papery notes.

Appearance: No head, deep amber glass glows hazy when back lit.

Smell: Rich malty backbone, a bit malt extract in intensity gives an earthy burnt sugar sweetness.

Taste: Malt driven taste, sweet but mellows out nicely in the middle finding balance without any hop bitter flavors. There is a nutty almost smoke flavor that slowly comes through.

Mouthfeel: Has some fizz despite the lack of a head, The body goes from light to medium balance, just enough heft to counter a fairly watery texture.

Overall: A nice beer. Malty, not over the top nutty, and what is there comes through more as the meat of the nut rather than the shell. Would be nice for cooking, chicken braising.

Thanks to Illudium for the sample

3.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

LOOK: 2 fingers of fluffy off-white head, settled to a ring with minimal lacing. Clear brown almost iced tea color.

SMELL: light caramel malt, light roast, faint nuttiness, and faint wheat smell on the back end which I like, not a lot of discernable pecan to me

TASTE: light sweet nuttiness, light brown sugar, very faint hop, maybe a little hint of vanilla. Very pleasant and easy drinking.

FEEL: really the only thing holding it back for me is a thinnish mouthfeel. Carbonation is good, but I tend to prefer a bit more creaminess and viscosity in my brews.

OVERALL, I liked it, but not in my regular rotation. Wouldn't turn it down at all, great introduction beer.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this when I lived in Jackson MS. and it was a very good beer, but now that I live in Houston and I've found that this beer does not travel well, it tastes a bit more on the bitter side.
This is a shame because I did really like this beer

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%