Southern Pecan | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

Added by Todd on 03-26-2005

Ratings: 1,766 |  Reviews: 579

3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Good beer. Not excellent, but good.

Pros: Yummy smell of caramel and toast with a beautiful copper reddish-brown color and good flavor - noting caramel and stone fruit (apricot maybe?). Some nuttiness as advertised, but I'll discuss that further in the cons. Okay carbonation.

Cons: Almost no head whatsoever. The 1/4" head I had fizzled out in less time than it took to pour the beer into a glass. While it did have some nuttiness as I mentioned, I only tasted pecan until after it had warmed up in the glass. Even then, it was more of an after-taste at best. Definitely not as strong as I would expect from a beer that pushes the pecan flavor so strongly as a selling point.

Overall: It was good and paired well with salty tortilla chips. It's a good casual snack beer, but not much else.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

On tap ar Closed for Business.

Appearance - Clear deep copper. No head. Just a few wisps and a thin collar.

Smell - Also not much of an aroma. Slight nuttiness. Otherwise I think I smell the dish soap used to clean the glass more than the beer.

Taste - Vast improvement. Much more nutty with a hint of caramel. Some vanilla. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Light body. Minimal bitterness. Like none, really.

Overall - Nutty flavors are the highlight. So much that it's the only flavor, really.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful dark amber color with a thin head (dissipates in a matter of seconds), with a smell of wheat barley (minimal to no pecan smell). Flavor reminded me a lot of Sam Adams Boston Lager with a hint of nuttiness (but barely). I wouldn't exactly call this an ale because it tasted so much like a lager. An overall good and safe beer to have. However, I was expecting more than safe, but rather an unusual hint of pecan since I haven't had pecan-brewed beer before. Tasted like many other good lagers (not ales) I've had before.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a nice dark amber. The beer poured a small head that was gone pretty fast. The beer did have killer lacing though. A nice caramel smell oozed from the tumbler and when I took that first hit I was pleasantly surprised. Nice sweet hit but not overbearing, sorta like a handful of kracker jacks. I reall did not get much of a pecan taste, but that might be a good thing. I liked this one and would buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%