Jefferson Stout | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Jefferson Stout, Lazy Magnolia's original Sweet Potato Cream Stout, is Lazy Magnolia's version of the ideal Southern-Style Stout. Jefferson Stout is brewed with sweet potatoes and lactose (milk sugar). The sweet potatoes provide the background to an impressive taste with added notes of roasted chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors.

Added by Todd on 03-01-2005

Reviews: 112 | Ratings: 555
2.11/5  rDev -41.1%

Lazy Magnolia's description included this: "The sweet potatoes provide the background to an impressive taste with added notes of roasted chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors." I detected no chocolate or coffee in this. It tastes like an amber lager.

2.13/5  rDev -40.5%

A-black, thin light tan head

S-surprisingly i'm not picking up not much more than a light hint of sweet potato, and possibly some cream. very very unique for stout

T-I'm getting some coffee notes with a sweet potato after-taste but more than anything this beer is just watery. it is absolutely a terrible stout. I'm not sure what kind of beer you're wanting to drink if you enjoy this. If you're expecting a stout or anything that resembles one, this beer will disappoint you.

M-I don't think there is actually any carbonation. It goes down more like orange juice.

D-not drinkable whatsoever. only my respect for beer kept me from spilling this down the drain.

2.38/5  rDev -33.5%

Drain pour. Very disappointing watery, thin mouthfeel. The taste is a combination of sour milk stout and dirty sweet potatoes. It's as if they pulled them right out of the ground, didn't wash them, and chucked them in the beer.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Purchased in Laurel Ms.
Pours a very dark black with a frothy, foamy head.
Aroma has strong burnt odors. Burnt malts, burnt chocolates along with some raisins.
Taste, has a lot of the raisin, some molasses. I get a sour after taste.
Body which looks like it would be thick is actually pretty thin.
Didn't care for this one at all.

2.62/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This beer seemed a bit light for a stout. Initially, the stout started tasting OK - some nice chocolate & nutty, roasted notes. But as I drank some more of the stout, it started to take on a bitter / metallic taste. This could be that I was slowly sipping it and it got too warm. Anyways, I don't think I'll be trying it again.

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

Had this beer on tap at Mugshots on Saturday Night. I've almost made my way through their entire portfolio.

A: beer came in a 22oz mug with a half inch of a fluffy tan head. beer was black as night just like a stout should.
S: smelled like roasted malts with a little bit of sweetness. Nothing out of the ordinary and not very robust aromas.
T: slightly bland and watery but inoffensive roast malt flavor with a kiss of chocolate and coffee. Very sweet and lingering aftertaste. This beer vaguely reminds me of Left Hand Milk Stout with the taste but Jefferson Stout has a much sweeter aftertaste. This caused it to loose points because it wasn't something I found desirable.
M: Thin and watery for a stout with typical minimal carbonation that was only apparent from the prickly feeling it left on the swallow.
D: Heavy on the stomach like a typical stout so one was enough to satisfy me.

Overall: Not bad, but not something I'm going to go hunting for on tap since they don't bottle the entire line. It almost made sitting at the bar listening to the obnoxious Bama fans tolerable.

I don't know if it's because I'm used to drinking big beers, the southern style they have or if its the terrible beer laws they are forced to abide by here but most every beer has been fairly lackluster and disappointing.

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The best of Mississippi bottles the cleverly name "Jeff Stout". I've had this one on my list for a while in my pursuit of great stouts from the South. 12oz. bottle bought at Liquor Barn Hamburg. Split with a friend in sampler glasses.

Pour was heavy handed and the head on the beer was less than expected. Tan, frothy, but thin. Black as expected with a stout.

Nose was sweet, stale chocolate malt almost like stale cocoa pebbles. I was looking for sweet potatoes in the nose, but never really found it.

The beer is not bad, but not great. Tastes of chocolate and marshmallows (like a Mississippi Mud brownie). Still leaves a lot to be desired as the body of the beer feels empty. It even falls short of the sweetness that I expect from a Milk Stout.

I finally find the sweet potatoes in the aftertaste. Maybe I just prefer a roastyness to my stouts or a roasted marshmallow with my sweet potatoes, but I find the aftertaste to be somewhat unpleasant. Very thin feel, but a yam-like aftertaste that sticks around.

Overall, it was easy to drink. I kept wanting to taste more of the front part of the beer and not the aftertaste, which led to it draining faster.

2.81/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Look-The look is dark.Very dark indeed.No head on this one at all.

Smell- The Smell is of burnt campfire wood and ash.This beer smells the way it looks ,very dark and mischievous.

Taste- The taste is very dark as well with notes of chickory and campfire.I do pick up on some sweetness but it is very faint.

Feel-Feels quite dull and too smokey for my liking.I have had beer with smoke flavor but in this beer i feel it does not fit.

Overall-Maybe not the worst i have had but this beer left me wanting more and i felt like something was missing and left much to be desired.I did not taste any sweet potato at all and was very dissappointed in that aspect.

2.82/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured into my lost abbey stemware glass

Pours clear black with an average, creamy tan head, medium retention with good lacing.
Aroma is malty ( toffee, chocolate ) , light hops, and light esters (fruity) with notes of sour milk
Flavor is heavy malt , light chocolate, lactose , light watery coffee , little roasted light hops ,
Not a big succes in my eyes
Medium body, carbonation, and creaminess, medium dry finish.
This isn't a really great beer , to light / soft / watery ,

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz brown bottle with a pry off cap poured in a dimpled mug. Purchased in New Orleans on a recent trip.

Black and opaque. Lets practically no light through at all. Brown head is 1/8 inch on the pour but quickly disappears leaving a little ring around the edge, but almost nothing. No lacing to speak of.

Aroma is very faint, difficult to pick anything out. What little scent I can discern is coffee, burnt malts and bitter dark chocolate.

Flavour is fairly muted as well. Dark coffee, chocolate, dark malts, hints of caramel. Also has a faint tinny character during the carbonation rush in the middle.

Full bodied. Strangely has lots of aggressive pin pricks of carbonation which seems excessive, even though there's no head.

This is ok, but nothing special. I thought the sweet potato would give it more character and complexity, but I really can't tell it's even in there.

2.9/5  rDev -19%

Very sweet with some roasted grain flavor, not much else. Slightly tangy and not in a good way. Not undrinkable but sure nothing special. Little head, no lacing.

2.91/5  rDev -18.7%

Arrives black with a tan head that dissipates quickly but looked creamy. Left very little lacing.
Smell is malty, caramel and coffee though quite weak throughout. I really had to search to find this much.
Taste is much better, a decent balance of malt, coffee and caramel.
Medium bodied with a light effervescence. Overall, a middle-of-the-road kind of brew. Given the other reviews, I hope that this one might just have been off a bit. I will look for others from this brewer in hopes they are better.

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a very thick dark color, the smell is for milk with a little hint of the sweet potato. The taste is milky with a thickness to it. I picked up on coffee and some chocolate flavor but not much of a sweet potato. Overall I would say a nice stout but really was looking for more flavor.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I was so excited to try this. I'm not sure if it's just not my style or what. But this was so close to a drain poor. It smells AMAZING. But there is just some kind of nastiness to the taste of this beer.

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz bottle, bottled 07/14/14. Served in a Libby globe stout/porter glass.

Appearance: Black on the table. When held up to the light, there is a dark cola/ruby red color. Thin tan ring of foam which slowly died away. No lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, a bit metallic. With a swirl there is a hint of something else sweet and a bit of sweet potato.

Taste: Some sweet and chocolate notes up front, along with some roasted malt. The finish has some roasted/overcooked sweet potato to it. It’s not ashy/burnt, but it’s definitely overdone sweet potato that is bringing the bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy. Not very stout like at all.

Overall / Drinkability: Overall a so-so beer. It’s more like a stout soda than a beer. There is a good roasted malt profile, but the rest of the beer misses the mark in many ways. I tried to let the beer warm all the way up in the hopes it would take on more flavors and lose the fizziness. No luck. I wouldn’t recommend this beer – there are far better stouts out there.

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

L-Beautifully dark, nice foamy head that is thick and tan.
S-Slight sweetness, milkiness, molasses, coffee? Maybe a little potato?
T-There really isn't much. Slight almond? Roasted malts at the back of the tongue every other sip. I would expect it to have a sweetness, but theres a lack of flavor all together... Also, theres a weird off flavor... and, no sweet potato... Sigh.
F-Milky like a milk stout would be, slight dryness.
O- I built this beer up and it was just okay. Great appearance and smell, but man there was no flavor. I was very let down by this beer. Don't even know if its worth trying, doesn't bring much of anything to the table.

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a nearly pitch-black color. The head is three fingers high and tan in shade. Hot damn, they got the color right! Head retention, though, isn't spectacular. There isn't much of any lacing left on the glass, either. (3.5)

Smell: I imagine this is what sweet potato pie would smell like. Just for the record: I'm not a fan of sweet potato - still, I'll be objective. I get lots of the aforementioned sweet potato, as well as some vanilla cream and a touch (just a touch) of roast. I'm disappointed in the lack of layered roastiness, though it does show off its adjunct character decently. (3)

Taste: It tastes a bit weird. At first, a bit of sweet potato comes through. This is brief, as the flavor then shifts into notes of almond, roast, and vanilla cream near the back end. The flavors seem muddled, and it ends up being pretty uninteresting. (3)

Mouthfeel: It starts off with a somewhat creamy feel, only to evaporate off of the tongue some. This doesn't seem as thin or raggedly coarse-feeling as some small stouts, and that's good. Carbonation is still high, though. Does well as a session choice, because the drinkability is a tad low for a small stout. (3.25)

Overall: I get the sweet potato, I get the lactose, but I don't get much else. The stout base seems really muddled, too. I'll be hard pressed to return to this one in the future. (3)

3.06/5: Utterly forgettable...what were we talking about again?

3.07/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Black body with a thick dark khaki head. The head is full, fluffy, and leaves good lacing.

Aroma: I get a sweet burnt caramel aroma that tends to be slightly acrid...a bit like opening an old charcoal grill. It's not really a bad smell it just isn't something that draws me in.

Taste: It delivers a good combination of slightly bitter burnt chocolate flavor with a bit of a sweet caramel ending. I didn't taste any sweet potato.

Mouthfeel: It feels pretty light and watery for a milk stout. Very little body and not especially smooth.

Overall: It's a fairly average stout but it edges towards the lower side when it does not deliver much of a mouthfeel and presents a mediocre aroma and flavor. There isn't a whole lot to say about this beer. I would pick an alternate stout if I could get one, but this is good enough to enjoy if nothing else is available. The "sweet potato" is a bit misleading because I don't taste it at all. I had it fresh from the brewery and in the bottle and I got zero sweet potato both times. It's just a straight-forward sweet stout without the body.

3.11/5  rDev -13.1%

Looks like a stout, smells like a minnow bucket, tastes like minnow bucket water. Ok the last part is a stretch, but truthfully this is a pretty weak offering as a milk stout. Very little sweetness, cream, cocoa, or coffee. Very thin feel and no alcohol to boot. Another disappointment from Lazy Magnolia.

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thank you to shan8454 for this beer in trade.

Appearance: Black, no light will shine through this one. No head or lacong on this one.

Smell: Faint malts and coffee.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth full bodied. Taste of faint alcohol, coffee, malts, and some starches.

Overall: This was an OK brew, not my favorite.

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Nice aromas of roasted malt and some lactose, imparting notes of coffee with cream, freshly baked dark bread and notes of vanilla and dark molasses.

Taste: Pretty, good. Roasted malt and coffee up front, followed by some freshly baked dark bread, brown sugar and caramel-like sweetness, vanilla and slight touch of licorice. Not much in the way of hops or really any sweet potatoes or vegetables or fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy. Some decent carbonation, much more than usually expect in a cream stout, but not enough to tickle the taste buds or anything. With an ABV of 4.5%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a pretty good milk stout, possessing nice malt, coffee and cream flavors, balanced nicely with some sweetness, but I didn’t get any sweet potato flavors or complementary spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, as you get in say a pumpkin beer or in sweet potato dishes, so in that area, this beer is a little bit of a disappointment. I’m glad I tried it, but I probably won’t get it again.

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

16 ounce pint - $4.75 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Very dark brown, nearing black in color with a scant, tan-hued head up on top.

Smell: Lightly roasty scent, hinting at a cup of weak coffee brewed for someone on a strict coffee budget or someone who really doesn't like coffee all that much. A bit of chocolate, vanilla. The nose isn't unpleasant, but it isn't one to reach out and grab you.

Taste: A sweetish taste of dark maltiness, though not overtly flavorful following the example of the aroma, offering up only mild flavors of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Thin sliver of dark fruitiness reminiscent of sweet grape. Very subtle bitterness. Semi-dry, malty, lightly minerally finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A pedestrian brew, lacking presence. It left my hankering for something better, so I opted for a Bell's Kalamazoo for the next round.

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Poured from a growler to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick, impenetrable texture. There was a small amount of tan-colored, foamy head that quicky dissipated. Below average lacing.

S: A very, very subdued aroma of malt, chocolate, and coffee.

T: Tasted of dark chocolate, coffee, malt, light hops, and a tinge of milk in the finish. The flavor here has some good qualities, but is too underplayed to be effective. Not quite as complex as you would think.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not a bad beer, but wildly uneven. Drinkable, but there are better examples of the style out there.

3.27/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a mason glass.

L: Black pour with faint tannish head. No significant lacing.

S: Roasted malts.. faint cocoa.

T/F: Roasted malt character is dominant... notes of cocoa and roast coffee but rather subdued. Not picking up on the sweet potato. Not as sweet as I was expecting, which isn't a bad thing. Somewhat thin, to be expected given the low ABV. Low carbonation. Finish is dry.

O: Pretty bland for a milk stout... lacking in any real dominant flavor. Low ABV so you could easily have a few of them... but then again... why would you want to.

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Drinking Date:1/11/11

Appearance: Black with a light-brown, foamy head that sticks around for a little while and leaves some lacing.

Smell: faint roasted smell reminiscient of coffee.

Taste: This brew reminded me of sweet, dark-roast coffee with cream in it. The roasted coffee flavor was up front with milky sweetness throughout. The beer finished clean with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light-bodied which I thought was atypical of the style. About as viscous as water going down. (This can work for or against the beer depending on your mood). No carbonation that I noticed.

Drinkability: The moderate flavor, light body, and low alcohol lend this beer to multiple drinks as long as you aren't looking for a gripping, intricate flavor.

Notes: A decent beer. Worth a try, but don't expect alot. Little complexity and light on taste and body, but not bad. I am still proud of our MS brewery.

Jefferson Stout from Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company