Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale) | Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company

Read the review
Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale)Deep South Pale Ale (Reb Ale)

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Mississippi, United States
lazymagnolia.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Deep South Pale Ale is Lazy Magnolia's Pale Ale, a crisp and clean beer with the perfect balance of hops and malt. Its body and clean finish are ideally suited for all seasons, and the brew is moderately hopped for a great aroma and impressive finish. Deep South Pale Ale doesn't fit into any category of Pale Ale, it's a style we made up!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2006

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 85 | Ratings: 205
3.26/5  rDev -0.9%

A- A nice orange color with pretty good clarity. a billowy head though it disappears quickly. looks rather much like a lighter amber i would say.
s- smell is pretty subdued, but not too terribly so. smells present are toffee, bread, a wee bit of hops, maybe some like apple or pear, and then a strage smell, that has an artificial tendency to it. kinda strange.
t- taste has a strange tendency like the smell. it starts with that, has good hop character, finishes with some nice bread tones, but that strange beginning flavor just messes with me.
m- a good bit too thin. it doesn't really hold its own. i know its a pale wheat ale, but still...
d- all in all not a terrible beer, but there is just something off about the beer that doesn't do it.
not the best pale wheat ale or best of lazy magnolia but not a terrible beer. thumbs in the middle.

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Decent head on a copper colored brew. Head was good initially but did not retain well. Almost no lace.

S: Not much hop aroma, a touch of biscuit and breadiness.

T: WHile this beer has not oxidized, it just tastes a bit like cardboard. The hops are not very present and the sweetness is rather bland.

M: Not bad considering. It is refreshing and light with nothing off to note.

D: I am sure I could drink many of these but don't know if I would want to

3.3/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It pours a golden/copper color with a 1/2 inch white head that disappears quickly. It leaves little a little white lacing.

S - Wheat, hops, a little piney but nothing mind blowing.

T - This tastes pretty good for a wheat pale ale, there is a mild bitterness that slightly lingers but is really good. I can taste the wheat, it's sort of like a light Pale Ale.

O - I just noticed I reviewed this years ago, I wonder if I reviewed the wrong beer because I really don't care too much for this one at all now.

3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from bottle - nice head, holds it for a while. Nice aroma of hops, not too strong but definitely present. Light amber color with lots of carbonation. Hops are very present but not overpowering, nice dry finish. Very easy to drink, it goes down smoothly and is very crisp. This may be may new favorite Lazy Mag brew.

4.2/5  rDev +27.7%

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Gold in color and crystal clear. Very small head (even with an aggressive pour) that quickly dissipates. Very slight lacing on the glass.

Smell - Smells sweet and wheaty.

Taste - Sweet and almost fruity up front then some bitterness near the end. The bitterness lingers long after the beer is swallowed. Overall the taste is very refreshing.

Mouthfeel - This seems a little thicker on the pallet than some of the other beers I have tried from Lazy Magnolia. The beer isn't overly carbonated.

Drinkability - This beer is very drinkable. I actually prefer this beer over Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan. This a beer I will try to keep on hand.

3.98/5  rDev +21%

Bought a 6pack at J's mart in Tupelo MS

Pours a dark yellow with a rapidly disappearing head, smells a little bitter, tastes just alike and left me with a dry mouthfeel. This beer goes down extremely easy but for some reason I got an instant headache after 2 of them the first time I drank them, I tried again 2 days later, same thing... sad, because this is a very easy drinking beer, I just don't like getting a hangover headache after 2 lighter beers. I will have to stick with southern pecan for now.

3.81/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. I found a six pack today at Corner Market in Hattiesburg.

The appearance is golden yellow with a tall white head. Retention is decent, but lacing is below average.

The nose reminds me of a pale ale, but there is somewhat of an off-flavour. It's not that bad, but it definitely was not expected. The taste is closer to expected, with some toffee, apples and a nice bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin, something I've also noticed with Southern Pecan and Indian Summer. Drinkability is very high, perhaps too high; I find my glass almost empty within ten minutes.

It may be blasphemy in Starkville, but I must say that I like this beer. It is like a lighter version of a pale ale, and it may replace Southern Pecan as my favourite LM bottled beer. Now where is Miss. State's beer?

4.19/5  rDev +27.4%

I had this tonight fresh from the tap at the mellow mushroom in flowood, ms. I thought this would be just another low alchohol beer flavorless beer but it was really pretty good.

I ordered this along side the Jefferson Stout so I could let the stout warm as I drank this one. I'm not sure about the style because I've had very few American Pale Wheat Ales but it blew the FFF Pale Wheat out of the water from where I sit.

Poured into a 16 oz pint glass with little head and fairly cold this beer has a great look to it. There is a red to orange look in the light. Reb Ale is very clear.

The smell is a bit off putting to say the least. It's not hops, or malt, but more like a medicine smell that I'm detecting. There are the traditional smells but something in there doesn't have the right aroma - maybe this is the cause of all the bad marks. Read on though.

The first taste is very very light and refreshing. The first taste begs for a second and then a third. Within 5 minutes my beer has evaporated. This is so damn smooth it's ridicuous. I can taste light caramel, fresh apples, there is a light hop kick but it's almost like they used fuggles or williamette here - somewhat strange.

The mouthfeel is so light it begs to be drank fast. It's actually lighter than I wanted but is perfect with pizza. Best pizza beer?

Drinkability is amazing. I would drink this all day everyday. You could drink this like Bud its so easy on the palate and the gullet. Enjoy a six pack at a time if you like with this one. I'm guessing abv is around 4.1% - if that. Overall not bad at all.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Had this on tap at the Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg, MS. Poured a pale gold color with little head that dissipated quickly. Aroma was not real distinct, but of wheat. Flavor was disappointing, kind of sweet, with little hop character. Mouthfeel was kind of thin which is characteristic of Lazy Mag beers.

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

I had to drive a little out of my way to go to Oxford, MS to get this beer as it is only available in that city. It’s a business model they are trying out. They may never do it again, but for this one beer, they rolled it out in a specific city. I can understand how this could increase demand and create a novelty effect, and it sure as hell worked on me.

The beer is labeled as a “Wheat Pale Ale.” Which I suppose means they started with a traditional Pale Ale grain bill and substituted a fair portion of wheat. It’s a good idea that I’m sure appeals to the market down here. You get most of the flavor of a pale ale, but the wheat lightens it up a bit and makes it more refreshing.

Appearance: Poured from a party pig purchased in a grocery store in Oxford. Copper colored with good head. The head didn’t last very long and it tasted a bit under-carbonated. It did have nice lacing on the glass.

Taste and Smell: Aroma was nice. Nothing complex or fancy, just a good “beer” smell. Reminds me of an English Bitter. The taste is likewise. Blue-collared and solid. Nothing shocking, nothing disappointing. I want to say it’s more like an English Pale Ale than the American, but maybe that’s the wheat mellowing it out. I get very little hop flavor considering it’s a Pale Ale. I’d like to have more in that area.

Notes: A very good beer for what it is. It’s not spectacular, but well worth the price of admission. If it was available everywhere, I’m sure it would be my new “lawnmower” beer.

Butch