Christian Moerlein Over-The-Rhine Ale | Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 05-05-2007

1.5/5  rDev -59.3%

1.83/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Got this one in a mix six pack.

A- Nice copper/ amber color, 1 and a half finger head, nice retention for a while.
S- Nice, if it were potpourri, fruits, spice, cinnamon.
T- Like potpourri with malts.
M- Overly fizzy to a tongue numbing degree.

Avoid at all cost. I took two sips and poured it out.

2.25/5  rDev -39%

2.34/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -35%

Appears a clear copper hue with a light off white khaki head. Forms fine speckled lacing evenly up the sides of my glass. Aroma is very tame with a mild herbal/citric hop accent and light caramel maltiness. Flavor is dominated by sticky sweet carmamelized sugars that simply coat the palate in a very much ovebearingly unbalanced way. The hop bite really doesn't make it across because of the extent of the sweetness of the sticky sweet caramelized malts, maybe in the back end there's a touch of herbal citric hop character but nothing pungently bitter. Mouthfeel may be the worst part it almosts gags me to gulp this down very harsh sticky unrefined caramelized malts on the palate make the whole experience unbearable. Overall this is a really mediocre example of an APA and I question that style branding for a beer called Over the Rhine.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.62/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Listed at 6.55%

White head. Slightly hazed copper gold.

Flavor is a rather odd mix of hops. It's weedy but also clean. A bit floral. A fair amount of bready malts.

Mouthfeel is kind of bitter and sticky. Medium bodied.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of this pale ale. Things didn't go together with this beer.
It just wasn't enjoyable.

2.71/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Hazy dark orange/amber color. Two fingers of half frothy/half creamy head with good retention, but minimal lacing.

2.5 S: Big hit of buttery pungent breadiness. Caramel malts with some graininess. Slight citrusy twang from the hops.

2.5 T: Buttery breadiness and some off flavors that I can't put my finger on. The taste is reminiscent of a poorly executed homebrew. Pine and orange hop flavor.

4.0 M: Medium fuller body. Good carbonation, creamy.

2.5 D: Not a big fan of breadiness in an APA.

2.71/5  rDev -26.6%

Went to a Moerlein tasting and had this as one of five samplers. This was my favorite.

Pours a light copper with a slightly off-white head. Slight amount of fruity malts in the nose, possibly a touch of hops. The taste is mild, but relatively balanced. Not overly sweet like basically all of the other offerings. Just a touch of hops with biscuit, caramel malts. I actually had no idea this was a Pale Ale when I tried it. Mouthfeel is medium with a light-medium carbonation. Overall, I did say this was my favorite, but this is not a great beer by any means. Not sure why they feel like these beers need to be so sweet. This is not like most Pale Ales that I have had. Style is either wrong or brewed poorly.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from a chilled bottle into a pint glass. The beer is amber colored. It has a lot of carbonation bubbles clinging to the bottom of the glass; every so often one releases and rises to the surface. Atop the beer is a thin tan foam head that quickly disappeared. I can now see the rising bubbles reach the surface and pop. The aroma is sweet and oak-like. There is also an aspect to it that reminds me of cookie dough. The beer is light and malty at first, with a big sweet, finish. It reminds me of melted chocolate chips. I'm not sure the beer is supposed to taste like this...I'm afraid the bottle may have turned. The beer has a lighter body and an average amount of carbonation. There is a little bit of coating, but nothing significant. I'm finding this one a bit hard to drink, but as I said above, I think this may be a bad bottle. I'll have to try another and modify my review as needed.

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance - Pours a bright amber/copper color with an inch thick, creamy white head. Dissipates quickly and leaves spotted lacing.

Smell - It has your average, bitter pale ale aroma.

Taste - Very bitter and malty. Has strong smoky and herbal flavors as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - I do not like this APA compared to all the others I've tried.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Bottle from Party Source. The bottle had some weird crustys around the cap after I removed it so that is not a good sign. The beer pours a slightly luminous orange-amber color with absolutely no head or lacing. Also not a good sign. Light malt and pine in the nose. Medium-bodied and fruity with some toasted malt and piney hops flavor, however the flavors are buried by tartness. The finish is tart fruit with a touch of sweet malt. I have to conclude I got a bad bottle, but will need to try again to be sure.

2.97/5  rDev -19.5%