Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer | Christian Moerlein Brewing Company

Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter WarmerChristian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company
Ohio, United States | website

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by pwoods on 11-13-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 49 | Ratings: 118
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Christian Moerlein- Christkindl

Thanks to Pimpp for this 1.

A- Copper brown with a decent 2 finger thick foamy head. 2 ring lacing.
S- Spicy malt. Hint of molasses.
T- Spicy, hints of ginger and nutmeg, with a buttery malt backbone. Licorice detected!?
M- Buttery sweet and chewy, borderline cloying. Finishes off dry and warming.

Overall- Tasty and very easy to drink, more than 2 or 3 would become cloying but can't go wrong with this 1.

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

My dad picked my up a 6-pack on his way through Cincy and now I am feeling in need of more. I met the brewmaster for Moerlein earlier this year at their Marzen fest and he gave some background on this beer. He specifically said there would be no spices added and this beer was going to derive it's flavor from the malt. With that in mind, I think this beer is one of the exceptional winter beers out this season. It tastes like there is some additions to it, almost a bit of a caramel flavor. Mouthfeel is a little oily, definitely hearty. ABV is a bit lower then one expects of winter beers. All in all I like this beer a lot and would definitely recommend it to anyone in the Cincinnati area.

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%

Eye: I can't get over the way that this brew looks. This is one of the greatest looking beers I've ever taken a look at. Color is mahogany and is clear. Head is a dirty white and has excellent appearance at two fingers. It is a very creamy and sexy looking head. This is pure eye candy. I don't think that this could be improved any more.

Nose: Sweet rich malty aromas. I also get some toasty and warm malt aromas.Hops come through with a citrus character. This beer looks as if it is going to hold its own.

Tongue: Really nice well balanced flavor from Moerlien. Alcohol isn't as warming as I would like, kinda takes the fun out of a winter warmer, but hey, can't win em all. Malt flavor is warm, toasty and sweet. Some alcohol notes come through to help balance the brew, but not enough to warm as mentioned before. Also pick up some fruity flavors, subdued but in enough abundance to be noticed. Citrus hop flavors also add quite a bit to the dimension of this brew as well as help to balance the flavors out.

Mouthfeel and Drinkabiliy: This brew has a medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. Finish is semi-dry and has no warming sensation usually associated with the style. This is a very drinkable beer, I think that I just might pickup another sixer of this during this season. It is something that is easy to drink, and something that I wouldn't be opposed to drinking all night long. Another great offering from Christian Moerlein.

3.87/5  rDev +2.7%

So this is my first review and I have to start by saying, for the most part, I am a fan of other Christian Moerlein beers. While not being one of my favorites from them, it's still a good beer

A - Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very clear amber/brown color. I poured it a little too fast so the head was pretty big. Diminished after a while but not too quickly.

S - Sweet malt smell upfront. Not a whole lot of hops in the aroma. This may be a first but I swear I smelled roasted marshmellows. Maybe I'm imagining things.

T - Again sweet malt flavor is front and center. Some chocolate flavor but I didn't taste very many spices as I was expecting there would be. The hops don't make themself present until the end, but can be tasted in the aftertaste.

M - The mouthfeel was a little lighter than I had expected for this type of beer. Carbonation was average.

D - Drinkability is nice for this time of the year. I could certainly drink a couple of these at a time.

Overall, I would recommend this beer. It's at least worth a try. Not one of my favorites from Christian Moerlein. But still good.

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Bought in a mixed-six at River's Bend in Lebanon to see if I'd like it enough to buy a 6-pack. Poured a reddish-amber with a nice foamy head. It smells great, but not what I expected from a "Christmas Ale." It had a very fresh hop/malt aroma. Slight chocolate and holiday spice flavors with a very nice hop finish. I was surprised. Very drinkable and no alcohol bite; I would personally like to see a little more ABV in a winter beer.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Picked up this bad boy at the local grocery store. I usually give anything Christian Moerlein makes a chance so here it goes..

For a winter warmer, I am a little disappointed. I was hoping the alcohol content would be higher and the taste a little bolder. Don't get me wrong, this is a very drinkable beer. I could easy knock back two on a cold winters' night no problem. The label states there is a spicy chocolaty flavor. I did not pick up on this. Tastes like your standard ale but with understated hop character. The after taste is lasting and enjoyable. Has a nice reddish color. will try other Christian Moerlein offerings but will sample other winter warmers.

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%

I just picked up a sixer from Kroger and I have to say I am very impressed with this seasonal from the boys at Moerlein. First I will say the package jumped of the shelf and said buy me. I always enjoy the artwork and interesting story that Moerlein tells. This was no exception.

The first thing I noticed after I opened Christkindl is the aroma. It has a very appealing smell. You pick up a touch of holiday spice and a little bit of a chocolate coming through.

The appearance is a redish brown. The head was tight and left a decent lace on the glass.

The taste has a little bit of hops up front that really implies the presence of holiday spices. It has a very balanced malt body that finishes with a very subtle dark chocolate flavor.

I noticed this was more evident as the beer was exposed to air. This is pretty common for a very I mean very fresh beer. The hops begin to mellow and let the malt flavors come through.

I really enjoyed this Winter Warmer. It lived up to the hype and I feel it is only going to get better as it ages, that is if it has a chance. A beer that looks and tastes this good is going to fly off the shelf. I would get it while it lasts.

By the way check out an article on Greg Hardman the owner of Christian Moerlein. He is the cover story in the Nov-Dec issue of Cincinnati Gentlemen magazine on the shelves right now. Its a pretty good read and makes you want to support your local brewer.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

hehehe... pimpp... ya beat me by a couple days!.... you're right on top of all things Cincinnati!

I got a sixer of this at the Kroger grocery store in Amelia. I cracked into the 12 oz brown bottle and poured into a pint glass. The off white head rose up to a perfect 1" of pillowy foam. The beer has a deep amber color with a hint of red.

The aroma is rather slight but I could pick up a toasted malt and some sweetness like caramel or chocolate....or both.

The Taste: Let me explain that my first Winter Warmer of the season was Harpoon Winter Warmer. All that I could taste with that one was cinnamon and nutmeg fighting for dominance.... I didn't like it. BUT, Christan Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer is what a Winter Warmer should be.... excellent. Sweet chocolate malty taste with a SLIGHT spicy back-up and a clean ever-so-slight hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy.... I would say just a touch under robust. appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability: I will try some other Winter Warmers.... but this one will be kept in constant supply in my beer fridge.... I would be proud to serve this to my discerning holiday guests. Cincinnati BA's - Get ot there and support your local brewer and pick yourself up some of this.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz. brown bottle purchased at Biggs on Colerain pouted into a pint. No dating but this is as fresh as it gets.. not even listed on their website yet.

A: Deep rusty reddish brown with a short finger head. Good retention, lasting most of the glass. Some patches of lacing.

S: Very spicy with some yeasty notes. Pepper and some orange rind make themselves seen, as well as a nice bready malted background.

T/M: Big notes of all spice and a hint of coriander. A sligthly sweet, mostly bready malt body is what this brew is all about. Hops add just a touch of crispness but very little bitterness. Body medium with a nice smoothness that lasts through the finish.

D: Not an extremely complex beer but tasty and perfect for this time of the year.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Christian Moerlein Christkindl Winter Warmer from Christian Moerlein Brewing Company