Trumer Pils | Trumer Brauerei Berkeley

trumer-international.com

Style: German Pilsner

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2003

View: Beers

If you live in the Bay Area and you like Pilsner, this should really be all you buy. Sweet nectar of the gods. Tastes like sour dough bread with a honey finish. Top quality.

One of the best beers I had on my recent trip oversees. If there is such a thing as a perfectly balanced pilsner, this is it.

Body was light, but not too light. Hops were assertive, but not too assertive. Everything seems to mesh into a perfect crescendo of deliciousness.

I had many different beers in Germany and Austria, but this one stood out as one of the best. Please give it a try if you get the chance.

4.94/5  rDev +29%

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of our favorites. A traditional Pils.

4.86/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

Sits a pale gold with absolute clarity in the glass with a thin, delicate layer of head that clings to the glass. Tart pale malt, honey sweet aroma with unmistakable German lager phenols and sweet soapy acids. Walnut is in there somewhere and gets stronger as it warms. Tart, sweet, and bitter at the same time, but the bitterness lasts with a very mild flowery ester flavor. Banana ester is also in there with the nuttiness, which makes itself apparent with time. Medium body with a dry finish. Less filling, tastes great.

This beer takes me back to Munich and helps me understand why people like lagers. I can drink this all day and not feel full. No wonder the Germans stick to this style without complaint! If only the big three could make something close to this. Instead of just tasting like lightly flavored water, this has many subtle flavors to it, with different notes being played a little louder with each gulp. I'm pretty happy this is brewed an hour away from me in Berkeley. A trip to Deutschland is only a six pack away.

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I like the bitter IPAs but bought this beer for a customer we were having over for dinner. He mentioned he enjoyed Pilsners so I had my local beer purveyor recommend something and Trumer was at the top of her list. I have to say, to my surprise, this was a very smooth and flavorful beer. Blended beautifully with the beach BBQ we served. I might try this on my own some time.

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Trumer Pils in Berkeley, CA has succeeded in brewing an authentic German-style Pilsner on the West Coast. If you enjoy the crisp, not-too bitter bitterness of German Pilsner, I highly recommend Trumer.

German Pilsner is my favorite style of beer. I've sampled Pilsner throughout Germany as well as dozens of domestic Pilsners. Trumer is the first domestic Pilsner I have encountered that successfully replicates the taste and mouth-feel of classic German Pilsner. If I did not know Trumer was brewed in domestically, I would have guessed the beer was imported from Northern Germany.

Look: golden with a thin head
Smell: grassy and aromatic
Taste: authentic Pilsner: subtly hoppy, slight bitterness, refreshing & smooth
Feel: light, refreshing, moderate carbonation
Overall: an excellent classic German Pilsner produced on the West Coast

4.75/5  rDev +24%

I am definitely partial to pilsners, and a great pilsner really gets my taste buds excited. The simplicity. The crispness. Well, this beer looked perfect. Bright golden straw colored, crystal clear with a solid white head of dense foam. The aroma gives off a strong bouquet of typical Saaz hops, or at least something similar. I love it – In this beer they are pungent, musty, oily and earthy. Hearty and warming. All those elements bond easily with a slightly sour graininess. The taste doesn’t disappoint – Light and grainy sweet with a warm bready character - very pleasant going down and has a soft bitterness. Lemony notes are detected. Mellow and extremely smooth with just the right amount of bitterness in the aftertaste – it leaves your palate wanting more. A world class pilsner that, IMO, is underrated here.

Get some!

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

When not drinking an IPA I prefer a beer with strong good taste. Trumers, a Pils, meets the challenge. My go to pils in the past was Pilsner Urquel, but after the merger something changed.

4.69/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/4.5/4.75/4.75/4.75
12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a light golden yellow with a huge dense bright white head that slowly faded into a faint scum leaving a network of streaky lace down the glass.
S: Light crackery malt, mild lager yeast, crisp earthy hops and peppery spice.
T: Follows the nose with bready malt, a light sweetness, spicy leafy hops, and doughy yeast. Crisp overall.
M: Medium-light body, slick clean crisp mouth, perfect creamy carb.
O: One of the best you can find in a six pack. Easy to drink, flavorful and clean.

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

4.67/5  rDev +21.9%

I must admit, I lived in Salzburg and never drank this beer, since i regularly drank the local augustiner and stiegl beers.

However, I you drank this american version, I was immediately transported back to Austria.

Recently , I have been on a hop kick so this Trumer pils was a welcome change.

Great mouthfeel, hoppy and incredibly drinkable

Trumer Pils from Trumer Brauerei Berkeley