Trumer Pils | Trumer Brauerei Berkeley

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2003

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Served in a tall stange at The Firkin.

Finally getting around to one of the more readily-available pilsners out there. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger of bright white foam. The nose comprises grass, light lemon zest, flowers, and straight wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with the grass and the flowers taking control, providing a nicely subdued bitterness throughout. The body is a hefty-leaning light, with a light moderate carbonation and a rather crisp finish. Overall, a great pils, one of the best I've found stateside. It's almost too easy to drink, really...

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

955th Review on BA
Bottle to Pilsner
12 oz

No bottle date
Single 12oz from Bevmo Chino Hills

App- A very very clear yellow with a lot of bubbles filtering from the bottom up. A one finger head with a fast receding pace. Left about 4 clings of lace on the sides.

Smell- My wife says it smells like Pot. What is she not telling me? A pretty good aromatic display of wheat, lemon, herbs (parsley) and that classic pils malt.

Taste- It's one of the better Pils I have had and to be from Nor. Cal says a lot. To review to style its pretty lacking more than a baseline flavor profile but this is not my favorite style and this is one I would come back to. More lemony, grass with a slight bitter. A nice bit of malts on the backend.

Mouth- A good light bodied pils with a nice light/medium carbonation. Leaves a good residual earthy, lemon and wheat flavor.

Drink- A solid 3.5 all across the board. As I stated above it's more than average but not quite their yet. To me it needs a bit more balanced and pop but I would come back to this one in a pinch.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pale straw colour, crystal clear, thin bubbly white head with good retention, sheet lacing.

S - Hay, cracker malt, lemon and sesame seed.

T - Lemon, grass, herbal hops, salty cracker like malts.

M - Crisp and refreshing, thin body, moderate carbonation with a dry finish.

O - Good, solid, easy drinking, German style pils.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

I had this Beer from an all around the world combo pack I got at the World Market. I honestly couldn't taste what people get excited about with this beer. It was fine, but nothing special. It's biggest problem is that I couldn't taste a unique timbre I look for in every beer I drink, it just tasted very standard to me.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into pilsner glass.

A - Poured clear pale yellow straw color with big white head that quickly dissipated leaving slight lacing around the glass.

S - Grassy and earthy with slight scent of hops.

T - Grains predominate with slight hay and malt flavor. Somewhat watery with not much there.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation.

O - Ordinary pilsner that's too watery and no crispness. With not much standing out I would not recommend it.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

This is a decent beer that is very easy to drink. Easy to drink most of the time means lacking of taste. Yes, i think this beer is a little too watery in a way, but it is totally drinkable.

A. The color is too pale. The head disappear in seconds.

S. Normal beer smell, nothing very special to it.

T. I can taste a little sweetness in it, no much bitterness. It is definitely easy to drink.

M. Mouthfeel is actually good. It is a above good standard. I can notice honey and some kind of sweetness inside the beer.

O. Not a bad beer, nor a good beer. I think this is an average beer. Maybe just a little above average. But it is surely very drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

On Tap

Whisknladle
La Jolla, CA

Light golden yellow with a thin white cap. Dots of lacing down the glass.

Bready, grainy, and grassy aroma. Pleasant, though not overly strong. Nothing at all unpleasant.

Floral and earthy hop presence, along with some grassy flavors, and a grainy and bready malt backbone. Well balanced and incredibly drinkable.

Light to medium bodied. Crisp and clean.

A classic German pilsner (brewed in California) that goes exceptionally well with food.

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

It smells like old, treated wood. Not something I'd want to put in my mouth

Appearance is dull and not quite clear. The fizz lasts the perfect amount.

The taste is average. It tastes very... beer. Plato might give it a 10 in beerness.

The mouthfeel is smooth and doesn't have any slime.

The taste was pretty average though, so I'm not complaining. I wouldn't buy a six pack, though.

Poured into a Stange glass. I have to say the label fooled me, I really thought this was German until I looked closer!

Pours with a light golden-accented straw yellow body under three fingers of pure white sticky, fluffy head.

As expected, just after the bottle is opened, the strong aroma of sulfur is released and it dominates all the other smells. Within a few minutes however, this has totally dissipated and uncovered a wonderful concoction of very light, toasty, slightly sticky malts, paired with grassy zesty noble hops.

The flavor is initially quite good, and displays some pale malts and a fair dose of noble hops. Within a few sips I find that my first complaint is that the hops are more bitter than they are flavorful, and this biting bitterness detracts from the malts. As I continue to drink I think I am totally fine with the hops the way they are, but I wish there was more malt to give the white-bread-toast flavors that often go hand in hand with spicy hops in beers of this style. There is an "almost" off flavor in the aftertaste, but it never rears it head and thus my respect remains. The end is very dry, and quite tasty.

The mouthfeel is light with higher carbonation, as I would expect for this style. The hops and carbonation feel a bit spicy and zesty in concert, and I expect nothing less.

Conclusion: Before finishing this beer I paired it with some sharp cheddar to see how that would affect the flavor. Overall I feel that this beer knows what it is doing and is doing it well. This is a great pilsner, and my previous hesitation was due to the fact that this beer attacks with palate without asking permission- which is a great thing in my opinion.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle from Safeway market in Manteca, CA

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of grassy hops with light pale malt

T - Like the nose grassy hops on top of some pale malt

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

O - This is a good everyday type of beer thats easy to drink tastes good that you can drink a number of because its light and refreshing that helps out on hot days worth a try and I'm not a big pils person

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is one of my favorite pilseners. I'm really glad they started brewing this one in Berkeley. It's smooth, crisp and light but flavorful. A go-to beer for me whenever I'm in the Bay Area or anywhere this beer is served. An exemplary German pils.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a clear blond with a medium white head, good retention, some spotty lace.

S: Strong grassy and floral hops, light bready malt.

T: High hop flavour for the style. Hay, flowers, some almost cilantro like herbal character, interesting mix.

M: Light-bodied, frothy carbonation, not as crisp as I'd like though.

O: A good pilsner for sure, but what's with the green bottles, you'd think an American brewery would know better, especially in this style.

On tap poured into a shaker pint glass. Beer poured a clear straw, light yellow color with a finger of white foamy head. Head dissipated quickly to a thin film on the surface, with some light lacing. Well carbonated with plenty of small bubbles floating slowly up from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is a nice sweet floral hops, fresh grass, honey, and biscuit malts.

Taste follows the nose exactly, light floral and grassy hops, very fresh, with light bitterness, and a good amount sweet honeyed grains and biscuit malt. Finish is very clean, slightly dry on the tongue with lingering floral hop flavor.

Light body, smooth ample carbonation that softly scrubs the tongue clean with each sip. Refreshing and easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a fizzy white head.

S: Sweet pale malts to begin with a very fruity ester profile. There are lots of floral and earthy hops to the nose as well as a light cracker malt aroma. Just a touch of grass in the background.

T: As with the flavor, sweet pale, cracker malts with plenty of fruity esters. The floral and earthy hops are plentiful and give a nice flavor to the beer. A light bitterness and slight dryness on the finish.

M: Fairly light in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Always a good choice for a refreshing beer. Solid stuff.

Trumer Pils from Trumer Brauerei Berkeley