Trumer Pils | Trumer Brauerei Berkeley

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2003

View: Beers
firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last
3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From the U.S. brewery in Berkeley. Not perfect, but fun to drink. Pours to a very pale color (think bud or miller) and creamy but thin head. Aroma is skunky ar first (thanks to green bottle) but skunk goes away and allows the spicy noble hop aroma and malty notes to come through. Flavor accentuates the spicy traditional pilsner hops balanced with sweet,very clean malt. Dry crisp finish with lingering spicy hoppiness.

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

A fine looking pils with absolute brilliance. Nice carbonation and great head retention. A fine example of a European pils, even with the skunkiness unfortunately. If you can get over the pronounced skunkiness the beer is well balanced with some nice hop flavor and slight malt character. I would like to try this on tap as I think it would be a better sample without the green bottle flavor.

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz green bottle with raised glass of “Trumer Pils” around the bottom of the neck. A faint laser printed freshness date of 072505 is on the neck of the bottle.

Appearance: Bubbly golden straw hue, decent lace with a good retention. Clarity is perfect.

Smell: Fresh cut hay, lemon zest and a faint biscuity maltiness.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Moderate body with a long drawn out crispness, fresh lemon herbal hop with a solid bitterness. Hop flavor seems to linger for a good while. Firm dry malt character leaves a small trace of sweetness and very little in the after taste. Faint hops in the dry finish.

Drinkability & Notes: A pretty remarkable German Pilsner being that it is brewed in the US. Right up there with the rest of my favorites; König Pilsener, Organic Ur Pils or Würzburger Hofbräu Premium Pilsner.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

I am definitely partial to pilsners, and a great pilsner really gets my taste buds excited. The simplicity. The crispness. Well, this beer looked perfect. Bright golden straw colored, crystal clear with a solid white head of dense foam. The aroma gives off a strong bouquet of typical Saaz hops, or at least something similar. I love it – In this beer they are pungent, musty, oily and earthy. Hearty and warming. All those elements bond easily with a slightly sour graininess. The taste doesn’t disappoint – Light and grainy sweet with a warm bready character - very pleasant going down and has a soft bitterness. Lemony notes are detected. Mellow and extremely smooth with just the right amount of bitterness in the aftertaste – it leaves your palate wanting more. A world class pilsner that, IMO, is underrated here.

Get some!

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Clear as clear gets and lighter in color than just about any beer I've ever had - extremely pale yellow. Very white head that doesnt last. Nose of hops, grassy and spicey. Full, nice carbonation without being too tingly. Finishes dry with a fair amount of biscuity malt present alongside the hops, which, though delicate, dominate.

I tend to ignore the style, but being in Berkeley means I get this as fresh as it comes - if every pilsener tasted like this I would drink a whole lot more pilsener.

3.42/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a slightly hazy straw hazy for whatever reason not sure maybe just a chill haze with a nice fluffy head.I picked up some iron on the nose as well some herbal/grassy hops very fresh aroma appetizing.Taste is lean with hops dominating I think a thin malt backbone doesnt quite stand up to the herbal notes of this beer.A light easy drinker a nice one to try but pretty uninspiring.

3.36/5  rDev -12%

Appearance is a straw color with limited carbonation, a frothy white head that diminishes quickly, and leaves a light film and a bubbly sticky lace. Initial aroma is crisp and grassy. Gradually a malt presence is obvious with a background of hops. Palate is light, filmy and slightly creamy with low effervescence and a light bite at the finish. The flavor has a fair balance of hops and sweetness.
Lighter, sweeter and less crisp than many pilsners. Uncomplicated.

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%

A clear golden color with a small fizzy head the dissipated quickly.
Small amounts of lacing.
Lots of fresh hay in the aroma, slight hints of pale malt. Somewhat bready.
Tasted fresh and crisp although there wasn't much there. Slight amounts of malt and a grassy flavor up front. Finish has a grainy flavor with just a tad bit of zest thrown in there.
Mouthfeel is medium to light. Not bad.
This beer was better than I was expecting. Could see myself drinking more of this especially while summer sticks around.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

I picked this pilsner up when I stopped into a local liquor store yesterday. The guy who showed it to me said they were only making singles at the moment as far as he knew, but I figured a buck and a half to try a new beer wasn’t a big loss. At first, I was a bit reluctant – I’ve never cared for anything that came in green bottles, nor have I particularly liked any pilsners I’ve tried before, but, hey, you never find that really good beer if you don’t try a few new ones, right?

While I didn’t find this beer horrible, I did find my initial suspicions to be pretty much correct. The color didn’t bother me too much, though I find I enjoy the taste of darker beers much more, and the smell wasn’t near as bad as some of the ‘green bottled beers’ I’ve had in the past. The taste just hit me wrong, though. It just seemed to taste wrong to me, lacking any kind of real flavor that makes a beer enjoyable (you’ll have to forgive me if I’m a little bad at taste descriptions as of yet… usually worry more about drinking the beer than describing the taste to others).

As far as the feel of the beer, it was nice and smooth in my mouth. It had a good feel, though I do find I like a bit ‘thicker’ beer myself. I probably wouldn’t choose to drink this one again myself, but I wouldn’t turn it down if someone bought a round of them, and I would probably suggest it to anyone who does enjoy the taste of the pilsner beers. All in all, probably my favorite pilsner so far, even if that’s not saying a great deal, and I’d be interested to hear any suggestions on good pilsners that people have had.

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

33 cL bottle served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear über pale yellow, not Mich Ultra pale, but close. Healthy bright white head that recedes to a small later of foam relatively quickly and leaves wee splotches of lacing.

Smell: Grassy and peppery Saaz aromas. Light aromas of bready malts and a slight twinge of DMS (at an acceptable amount).

Taste: Mildly bitter and grassy flavors dominate. A faint biscuity malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Very light in body with no appreciable aftertaste.

Drinkability: A very inoffensive and timid pilsener that's basically a Pilsener Urquell clone. Lawnmower beer. Just slightly above avrage, but not by much.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Vibrant pale gold in colour with good carbonation and only a slight head.

Nose is Pils, pils and more pils. Heavy hopped smell meets only traces of clean fresh malt. Yummy!

Palate is full, slightly bitter and a decent amount of flavour. Good biscuit flavours with a nice hoppy aftertaste that is extremly well balanced.

Top drop. Great example of a Pilsner.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

I tried this one from a bottle. The colour is very typical of a pils, a bubbly pale gold, poured with a decent head.
A very crisp clean beer, not much hop taste, not to sweet a fairly typical pils in the Czech style, as opposed to some variations that can be found. I thought this was a very good beer that I could drink quite a few of without too much trouble...

firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last