Nickel Brook Maple Porter | Nickel Brook Brewing Co.

good
Nickel Brook Maple PorterNickel Brook Maple Porter

Nickel Brook Brewing Co.
Ontario, Canada
nickelbrook.com

Style: American Porter

A fragrant, dark ruby porter, brewed with a blend of six malts, toasted barley and infused with pure, dark Canadian maple syrup. The result is a complex mixture of roasted malt and maple syrup flavours and aromas.

Nickel Brook Maple Porter is a unique Canadian interpretation of an ancient classic!

Added by pootz on 04-04-2007

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Like others reviewing around this time, I am reviewing this as the Day 1 of the 2013 Craft Beer Advent Calendar.

This beer poured as a nice black beer with brown tones. The head was huge and a) would not go away and b) just kept coming no matter how slowly I poured it. This really took away from the review of the beer because I could not get very good smell tests and I had to wait awhile or end up drinking foam (I couldn't wait so I got a mouthful of foam).

When I could smell the beer, it had a nice sweet tang to it. It wasn't really a maple syrup taste, but I am assuming that the maple brought the sweetness with it. It had molasses and a hint of chocolate to it which is what I expected from the Porter.

The taste was very nice - the dark malts were overshadowed by the sweetness and there was a taste of raisin that was not in the smell. Disappointingly, there was not a strong maple syrup taste to it which I was hoping for. The mouthfeel was nice other than when the foam got in the way.

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

341ml bottle, day 1 of the 2013 Craft Beer Advent Calendar. Under the cap: 'Penny for your thoughts, nickel for your thirst'? Kind of weak, that.

This beer pours a solid, brown-tinted black, with muddied basal cola 'highlights', and a teeming tower of over-effusive, frothy, and fizzy beige head, which leaves some Mediterranean grotto lace around the glass as it slowly abates.

It smells of musty dark chocolate, molasses, astringent black licorice, semi-sweet vague maple syrup, a bit of woodsmoke, and a hint of warming alcohol. The taste is much more rounded, and um, good - roasted caramel malt, bittersweet chocolate, cold coffee, oaken vanilla, dark fleshy fruit - figs and department store raisins - a rather understated sour wooden maple essence, especially given the order of the words in this beer's name, an unfocused leafy bitterness, and further subtle booze notes.

The carbonation is bit out of control, what with the literal eruption of rising head when any sort of aggressive pour is attempted, yet the effect on the tongue is limp and ineffectual, the body an adequate medium weight, and mostly smooth, with a hint of tattered creaminess. It finishes on the sweet side, still chocolaty and fruity, and tempered by a mildly sour mustiness.

Not a bad porter, really, the soft sourness actually pleasant enough. However, we all be jonesin' for some sweet, sweet maple, and well, this just doesn't deliver on that promise. Maybe it all wafted away back to Mrs. Butterworth's joint whilst this bottle was stricken in that big box o' beer these past number of months.

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

One of the ones who is drinking this tonight thanks to the Beer Advent calender. This was the inaugural beer from the box.

A: Jet black with huge, unrelenting head. Frothy light brown head. Normally I can gauge the darkness of the beer by looking at the edges but the head never goes away so that option's out. Reduces to a thick skin after a little while and never goes away. Lacing doesn't stick though.

S: This might be the highlight of the beer for me. Chocolate, some coffee (like a cafe latte), raisins, a bitterness I can't quite place, and somewhere back there a maple-vanilla sweetness. To my relief, I already know this isn't a maple-bomb at this point.

T: Chocolatey coat to start and a maple, brown sugar build towards the finish. I don't know, not a lot to report really. It's pleasant enough but not a lot to talk about. I think I've been spoiled by the richness of big-ABV beers but this just seems a little deflated.

M: It's thin but what reduces my vote here is the carbonation is just too high for the style in my opinion. In a saison sure, but in a porter I want pretty gentle carbonation and I feel like this is crackling on my tongue which is kind of not working for me.

O: Totally drinkable though the mouthfeel isn't super appealing to me, but not much to reflect upon. Glad I got to try it though!

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2.75/5  rDev -21%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

2.75/5  rDev -21%

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by a friend. From notes.

A - Poured black with a one finger beige head. Film of retention and no lace.

S - Maple, some boozy raisins, chocolate. Quite sweet.

T - Roast, much lighter maple character, nice sweetness, dark fruit, boozy raisins again.

M - Light carbonation, medium to full body, nice dry finish.

O/D - Pretty well put together. Nice maple character while not being over the top. Easy drinking with a modest ABV. Nothing mind boggling, but worth a shot.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

Nickel Brook Maple Porter from Nickel Brook Brewing Co.