Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Nimbus Oatmeal Stout | Nimbus Brewing Company

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2002

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

2.73/5  rDev -24%

12 oz bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Nimbus' Oatmeal Stout is cola brown with a tan head leaving nice lace.

Smell is very malty, caramel, but some sourish ash notes.

Taste is disjointed. It's roasted, but again, more ashy, sourish, caramel malt. Something about this one rough.

Mouthfeel is thin, dry, wanting.

Drinkability is lower, this isn't a very good stout. Oatmeal? No, the mouthfeel is weak. So is the whole beer, execution-wise. I'm not impressed!

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Opened up a 12oz into a pint glass the other night.

A- Poured black. Bits of light around the edges. Thin dark tan head, quickly down to nothing.

S- Nose full of coffee notes and roasted malts. Not to complex in the nose.

T- Like the nose, coffee notes up front. Taste a little burnt in the middle. Blend into some roasted malts, get a little chocolate taste in the background.

M- Medium to fuller body. Low carbonation. Thick in the mouth and a little dry.

O- Average oatmeal stout. Flavors had a burnt taste lingering to them. Not to complex either. Still an ok drink, just not my favorite.

2.76/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with a scant, yellow-beige head.

Smell: Light, stark notes of roasted grains, chocolate, fruit, and oats. All of it very, very light. All of it very, very forgettable.

Taste: A faint sweetness overlaying a roasted barley scaffolding, a few meager hints of chocolate, and a dull, low fruitiness. Lightly earthy, faintly bitter English hops. Dry, kind of flavorless finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-light carbonation.

Overall: A mild, mild-tasting beer that's just plain boring. I wasn't asking for much, I wasn't, but, come on, Nimbus, give me something to work with.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance - Black body. Medium-light caramel head with decent retention.

Smell - Fresh yet acidic. Almost exactly like capers or green olives. I vaguely remember something about olive smell being related to infected beer. Well, here goes...

Taste - Very acidic. A bit of a bitter aftertaste. Less than a Guinness. Relatively light for a stout. Not bad. I guess it's not infected. Must just be part of the character.

Mouthfeel - Good smooth medium bodied mouthfeel. Not watery like some other more popular stouts.

Drinkability - More interesting than other stouts (such as Guiness) but the olive character (while not bad) is not exactly appealing. I'd call it an off taste that reduces drinkability, unless this was being paired.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

I didn't even know Nimbus made an oatmeal stout until I saw this bottle at BevMo -- it doesn't seem to be a rarity, though. Guess I just never bothered to look for an oatmeal stout from any Arizona brewer other than Beaver Street in Flagstaff. Because, really, unless you're up in the high country where there's cold and snow who wants a stout in AZ during 11 months out of the year?

It's in the 40s tonight, though, so let's give it a whirl...

A: Carmel-colored head about an 18 of an inch thick. The bubbles are a little shiny and there's actually a bit of lacing.

S: Pretty yeast-y for an oatmeal stout. I also get some black licorice.

T: There's a lot of oat-y-ness which is, of course, what we're looking for here, but not a lot of complexity beyond that. The Goldings hops are noticeable, too, especially on the finish and in the aftertaste -- it's British varietal but this beer it definitely tastes like a West Coast offering. Other reviewers suggest drinking it at room temperature and mine has only been out of the fridge for 10 minutes or so -- I'll try it again closer to room temperature to see if I get the chocolate taste others enjoy so much... That's a nice luxury since this is a cheap (and apparently readily available) local brew.

M: Thick and satisfying, to style but on the high end of the style.

D: It goes down smooth though the aftertaste would grate on me after more than a few.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

From notes at Old Chicago (2001): Poured into pint glass. Pours very dark almost completely black with a 1 finger brown and gray head. Aroma is equally malty and roasty. Flavor is rich and smooth with plenty of malty backbone to balance all the usual dark roasty notes. Medium creamy body. Hop character is hidden but this beer isnt really sweet. It is balanced enough. Very drinkable and hits all the right notes.

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Picked up a few of these at a Whole Foods in Chandler, AZ while there over the new year's holiday. Review from notes.

Served chilled from a 12 oz. bottle, into a brandy tulip glass.

Appearance, pour is a very deep, dark brown, nearly black, but when held to the light, there are brown highlights that penetrate through. About an inch of head that rose, then faded and to just a lacing ring.

Smell is of a bit subdued for the style for me, but I pick up on the roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a bit of coffee with cream.

Taste follows the aroma's. Opens with sweet cream coffee, then roasted malt, cappuccino, molasses, and a tinge of dry bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, with good carbonation for the style.

Overall, a good oatmeal stout, though not as rich as I like. Easy to drink a few on a cold night.

I tried this beer on a recent trip to the Nimbus brewery. When my buddies and I were leaving, I got a growler to take home.

A - Pours a very dark brown with tan head. Head has thin lacing and moderate retention.

S - Smells of coffee, smoked malt, oats, and oak.

T - Coffee and smoked malt notes hit right away, followed by oatmeal and sweet cream in the finish. Overall character is more creamy than smoky.

M - Moderately thick mouthfeel, but not so thick you could chew it. Appropriate for the style.

D - Fairly drinkable for such a dark, thick beer. Not really a session beer, but a good choice for a "creamy" stout style.

Verdict: A solid example of an oatmeal stout and yet another reason to visit Nimbus if you're in Southern AZ.

3.44/5  rDev -4.2%

I'm going to preface this review by stating that this is my first ever stout. Ever. Carry on.

This beer was pitch black. While I was pouring it, I was slightly intimidated by the initial chocolatey brown color, but soon fell into a quiet fear as it ebbed black with the last drop. I couldn't see into the liquid like I could all of my other lighter beers; when I looked into the glass, all I could see was my shocked reflection staring starkly back at me. It was that black. My frightening first impression was quickly comforted by the sandy head of foam that grew to just over a finger thick. I suppose I didn't really expect a snow white head, but the light brown bubbles made me feel safer about my decision to delve into the world of stouts despite my painful lack of information. Also, for anyone who cares, the lacing was spotty and minimal.

Before I did any amount of research on stouts or this particular brew, I sniffed and came away repulsed. My first thought, I kid you not, was "soy sauce?!". Even now, as I sit with my nose in the bottle trying to get around the sour, salty-sweetness of Chinese condiments, I cannot seem to break away from my inaugural impression. So, I smell soy sauce. Other than that, and by combining all of the other robust fragrances which I'm sure are probably creating the illusion of soy sauce, it still wasn't my cup of tea. Or glass of beer, as the case may be.

Among the myriad of scents I pulled from the beer I was rapidly beginning to wish I didn't have to drink: smoky oats and malt, baker's dark chocolate, lots of roasted coffee grounds, hint of vanilla, a little bit of burnt molasses and maybe some bitter cocoa powder. It was like a baking experiment gone awfully, horribly awry.

Let me just say with complete honesty here, that despite my following complaints, the first few sips were super bitter, but once I got over the roast coffee and burnt molasses, I was able to appreciate the texture more which made it much more enjoyable. Like I mentioned, the beginning of each sip was pretty bitter, followed by a rich wave of coffee grounds, burnt oats, thick malts, and spicy hops (Kent Golding).

The mouthfeel was a medium-light with soft carbonation, creating a smooth body that was both dry and creamy on my tongue. It did peak on sour right after I swallowed, but everything mellowed out in the end to allow more hops to shine through.

This stout is a great example of how oatmeal stouts should be made, even according to seasoned tasters, so I'm glad I was able to learn to appreciate the type of brew with the Nimbus micro. Being that it is so aromatic and robust, it would be best paired with a hearty smoked steak and a chocolate dessert, both of which will help to bring out each of the individual flavors. In the very end, this is a beer I can most certainly appreciate, but one I most likely won't be drinking unless I have both a nice slab of smoked rib-eye and a fudge brownie with walnuts.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Look - very dark brown, no light visible through this one. Very little head.

Smell - smells like a fairly rich stout. Subtle caramel or chocolate hints. Not catching a smoked or molasses aroma.

Taste - fairly hoppy and bitter. Roasted coffee/expresso bean flavor, with maybe a hint of licorice? Thinner texture thanks to the oats. Definitely a lingering aftertaste, which is bitter, and stays up in the top of the palate.

Mouthfeel - not as thick as a stout could be, thanks to the oats thinning it out. More on the watery side between watery and creamy, but good balance.

Drinkability - Not bad complexity, but a little too hoppy for my taste. Good beer in general, and if you like bitter stouts, this one would be fun to have hanging out in the fridge.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

A-beautiful black, no light penetrates, nice dense tan head, decent lacing, great head retention

S-chocolate (dark), roasted coffee, whiff of sweetness

T-not as dark as i expected, starts off quite light and creamy then a smack of wonderful slightly bitter roasted malt, and then subsides to the flaky oat earthy sweetness that so few oatmeal stouts actually excel at

M-perfect, slightly syrupy, definitely lingers, a hearty feel for a solid oatmeal stout

D-one of my early favorites, this one doesn't disappoint after all this time, I should make this one more of a habit

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this one traveling around the Grand Canyon. A solid if generally unremarkable oatmeal stout that got significantly better as it warmed up (best was around room temperature). Coffee, some chocolate, and roasted malt dominated the nose and taste. Overall, worth a look, especially if you like the style.

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours an opaque black with ruby highlights. Moderate coffee head falls fairly fast. No lace. Aroma is sweet with a roasted bitterness. Taste is fairly simple, sweetness overlaid with a roasted character. Not particularly chocolate or coffee, just roasted. Finish is bitter and long lasting, something a little off that I can't quite figure out. Mouthfeel is starts thin as it's cold but gets nice when it warms. Smooth and silky.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Bottle was compliments of my sister who came out from Tucson to visit.

Poured a very dark opaque brown-black with an inch of tan foam that laced initially but did not stick. Head receded fairly quickly as compared with other stouts.
The nose was filled with dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, rich coffee, and sort of an earthy/soil quality.
Upon tasting it the sweetness of the oatmeal is up front mixed with the rich roasty malts, the coffee and dark chocolate flavors show up in the middle, and the back end finishes out with more of the dark malt flavor.
Mouth seems a bit thin, carbonation was acceptable, but yeah the lack of thick chewiness or a flavor that lingers was a bit off.
It's a very drinkable beer.

I think this is a quality oatmeal stout. It's not an award winner, but definitely recommended for at least a try.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, freshness date clearly marked on bottle (reviewed bottle well within freshness bracket)

A: Nearly completely opaque near-black brown colored beer with dark ruby showing at the edges when held up to a bright light. One finger of brown head that lasts and laces fairly well.

S: Burnt malts, strong chocolate, and coffee.

T: Rich but subtle darkly roasted malts dominate the initial taste, followed by some coffee notes and finally dark chocolate and less roasted malts at the end. Aftertaste is chocolaty. The characteristic oatmeal sweetness does show up near the end of the flavor arch, and thus this beer earns good marks for taste from me.

M: Smooth and well bodied, but not amazing. It is what an oatmeal stout should be, but not what it could be.

D: Good drinkability, but not outstanding.

Overall: A very good bottled oatmeal stout, but could be better with more oats in the nose and on the palate. Could be paired nicely with toasted rye bread and melted sharp cheddar over potatoes.

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Purchased in a sixer. Poured into a pint glass. Might as well try the Arizona beers while I'm here, right? Pours a dark, mahogany brown with about a finger of off-white head. Some lacing.

Appearance is above 3.5, but below 4. Want to give it a 3.7 but it won't let me.

Simple nose, with roasted malts, light espresso, and baker's chocolate. A slightly acidic smell that I can't place but I've noticed in some stouts before that reminds me of strong coffee.

Roasted malt flavors. Coffee flavor predominates. Hops are there, but hidden on the back end. The oatmeal helps the texture along, though it's thinner and less 'chewy' than it should be. The carbonation is good for the style.

I will have another--five more in my fridge now, after all--but although there's nothing exactly wrong with it, there's also nothing that really stands out here and puts it on par with, say, Sam Smith's oatmeal offering.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to NitroGen for sending this one my way.

A - Poured a very dark brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is mostly of roasted malt with a touch of coffee

T - Follows the nose for the most part roasted malts that give off a coffee flavor

M - This beer has a creamy smooth body with medium carbonation to it

D - Not a bad beer at all one of the better beers that I've had from Nimbus and one that I could drink pretty regularly if it was available to me worth a try sometime

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle via trade from smellsofstout. Thanks Tomas.

A: Pours a nice bright coal black hue with a nice tall foamy mocha head. Okay retention with some nice spotty lace.

S: Aroma rather simple, but good. Lots of roasted malt, coffee, with a touch of smoke.

T: Roasty goodness up front, backed by gas station coffee. There is a bit of bitter chocolate and a touch of hops in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium, can't really pick up the carbonation that was apparant upon the pour.

D: Not earth shattering but good. Glad to review an Arizona beer besides Cave Creek Chili beer. Thanks Tomas for the huge box of beer!

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my standard shaker glass. This stout appears a dark chestnut color with about a finger of creamy ecru colored foam. The head quickly ebbs, leaving no lace. Nose and flavor are of medium roasted grains, semi-sweet chocolate, earthy hops, and a touch of molasses. This medium bodied stout is a tad chewy from the addition of oatmeal and is adequately carbonated for the style. Worth a try if you are an oatmeal stout fan.

3.26/5  rDev -9.2%

Very dark almost black color with a very tight head about one inch that slowly faded as the beer did. Smelled faintly of roasted malt and toasted oats. Tasted like a dark stout with hints of roasted toasted oats, fairly consistent with the aroma. Body is pretty good and not too heavy. It was a tasty beer.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

An agrgressive pour yielded a dark brown head that bubbled up and stuck around for a while. Light lacing left along the sides of the glass. The body is a dark chestnut brown and lets little light in along the edges.

Roasted malt, nuts, fresh rolled oats, dark cherries, and a slight metallic note.

Taste mimics the the nose with the oats carrying the load over the palate. Dark cherries come through along with the nuts and roasted malt. A slight metallic flavor is present as well.

Medium bodied, not very full and robust like most oatmeal stouts. However, given the climate in Tucson, this is acceptable.

For the climate, this is perfect. However, it does lack some fullness in the flavor profile that prevent it from taking the next step. Considering the climate, this is very drinkable.

Nimbus Oatmeal Stout from Nimbus Brewing Company