Nimbus Nut Brown Ale | Nimbus Brewing Company

Added by mzwolinski on 11-23-2002

Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 112
1.27/5  rDev -65%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Oh god, I don't know if my bottle was out of date or what. I could hardly drink this one, and couldn't even finish it I disliked it so much. Tasted like nasty nuts were cooked into the beer or something, and had a very metal like finish to it. Nearly no head, and barely carbonated at all.

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

12 oz, screw off bottle, via tayner

A: Deep brown with some hints of ruby around bottom, under a small, bubbly white head. Hints of lace and retention.

S: Cocoa powder, a little sour-like character, some roasted malt and nut character.

T: Some cocoa powder again, the slightest sour fruit character that throws it of and should not be there, some sweet maltiness and a little hint of roasted malt in the finish.

M/D: Really thin on the palate, much different than I expected. Hardly any carbonation. The mouthfeel is really a low point on this one, just doesn't feel like much it there. Drinkability isn't bad, but I don't think I would be reaching in the cooler for more.

2.41/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured into a tall tumbler, Nimbus Nut Brown Ale is brown with a tan head that leaves foamy lace.

Smell is lightly toasted malt, a bit sweet, caramel.

Taste is malty, a bit sweet, but it's mostly killed by the diacetyl, loads of butterscotch. It's rather phenolic as well, plastic. A little cocoa.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, light bodied.

Drinkability isn't too high. Not impressed. I bought this at a Scottsdale Bevmo just a few days ago and am still in town, so while it maybe a bad bottle/batch, it's representative of what their local audience would be drinking.

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The liquid seems to be clear, tan-brown in hue with a coppery highlight, I like the color. Rocky, massive beige head; there is easily three fingers of foam at the zenith. The bubbles quickly faded to a chunky cap and then a soapy collar, which is par for the course. There was some subsequent spotty lacing, disorganized… I’m indifferent. Overall, I like how this beer looks even though it is nothing special.

Faint aromas, clean malty smells represent notes of caramel, nuts, and charred chocolate. No fruitiness. No hops. The nose says nothing but the absolute basics of the style. I love Brown Ales but this one doesn’t give me much motivation to take a sip. It is simplistic… no, it is boring. Nevertheless, here goes…

The palate is harsh. There are plenty of nutty notes with charred chocolate, astringent qualities. It is vaguely fruity at the back. No sign of hops. The aftertaste is lovely, a toasted maltiness lingers a long while. I love Brown Ales and when I find a great one I rejoice but when I find a dud, I cry a little inside. I am tearing up here. There just isn’t anything going on with this beer. It is nothing more than a shell of what it is suppose to be (or could be). Bummer.

Light in body, low (flat) carbonation, the mouthfeel is very thin which only hurts the palate. It is clear this beer needs more malt, lots more malt. More malt plus some hops and this beer could be a winner. As it is, I’m calling it a dud.

I can’t call this beer drinkable. I don’t want to beat a dead horse but this is a lousy beer. I have little desire to finish my glass. I’d rather have a Third Stone Brown (or dozens of other Brown Ales). Nevertheless, thank you Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick for shipping this sample to me all the way from AZ.

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to NitroGen for sending this one my way.

A - Poured a nice brown color with a small tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a light aroma some nuttiness and spice on top of the malt

T - I'm getting some nutty flavor and roasted malt taste it finishes off a little weird with an almost ashy taste

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - To me this was an average at best beer there wasn't really anything wrong with it there just wasn't anything that made it better than any other brown ale.

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

Finally getting around to reviewing this one.

Pours a dark brown with cola colored edges. Almost two fingers of light tan head. Nice polka dot lacing.

The aroma is light...hard to get a lot out of it. I get a hint of nuts, some grain, and some caramel, but not much else.

The flavor is fairly light, as well. Same tastes as what I smelled with a touch more sweetness. Slightly nutty and a faint taste of caramel, but toasted malts are the main draw.

Mouthfeel is lighter than what I expect from a brown ale. Almost too thin, imo. Not a bad drinker, but not something I would search out again. Just my $.02.

3.07/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Nice dark brown pour with 1 inch head. when first tasting it I kept getting a nutty and toasty caramel flavor but smooth when it goes down. The smell- When I first poured it in to my glass I would get hints of coffee beans. This beer will not be my first choice but I think I would try it again someday.

3.07/5  rDev -15.4%

My 12 oz. bottle is called simply "Brown Ale" and the photo matches the one above...guess I can assume the "Nut" part of the name was dropped??? Picked this up on a recent visit to Tucson for $1.50 at AJ's, my first taste from Nimbus (or from the state of AZ for that matter). The "July" spot is notched along the left side of the label, meaning this is somewhere around 5 months old.

It's got quite an interesting label: a stylized, yet cartoonish, Classical Roman scene of a 'David'-esque figure (with chimpanzee head? and a halo?) being waited upon by a surrounding cadre of servants. ABV listed at 5.0%. Anyone know why the 'N' in "Nimbus" is curiously reversed?

A: Not a very dark brown, more a caramel/cola brown. Held to light this shows a fair amount of haze and plenty of rising carbonation. Head is minimal, maybe a 1/4" of creamy white (at best), that drops to a thin film a clingy ring of soap suds.

S: Nice aroma of roasted malts, lots of cocoa and a lighter, sweetened coffee. A little toffee and a faint nuttiness.

T: Really heavy on the roasting; tangy, acrid coffee beans followed by a lingering citrus pith. Seemed rather metallic/mineral-laden up front, even a bit of a detergent off-taste, then the dark bittering followed. Earthy graininess in the long finish, retaining just a bit of sweetness. Not very good...

M: Slick across the tongue, nothing grabs until that roasted bitterness hits the back. Carbonation is non-apparent, malts stick a little on the lips, body is light-medium. Finish is a lasting bitter chalkiness.

D: Not a very good version of the style on first inspection. Maybe having this fresh from the tap, or at least a bit newer bottle, might change my opinion. I'd give it another try, I suppose...

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

I'm surprised I have never tried this beer before, I've seen it around but never picked it up. I think I even missed their booth at the AZ Beerfest.
Pours dark brown with a large tan head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty, with a faint scent of hops.

flavor is roasty,light coffee, light chocolate, light bitter.

Highly quaffable. I think I'll be trying more of their beers in the neer future.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

12 ounce bottle

poured brown with a large head, nice lacing

smelled of a nutty malt, not much hops

tastes of nutty malts as well, slight earthy hop to finish, but all flavors are subtle.

thin

would make a decent lawnmower beer for a brown ale, nothing spectacular but drinkable.

3.16/5  rDev -12.9%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating of any kind. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it formed an eggshell white head that falls to an outer ring. A deep ruby red around the edges and brown in the core.

Fairly strong smell of toasted malts and a touch of chocolate. This didn't translate all that well as the taste was rather mild in comparison. A moderate level of bitterness balances this out nicely. Slightly astringent as it warms up and the finish is watered and lifeless.

Notes: So-so. I think its below average overall but I certainly wouldn't turn a nose up to this.

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

When I was in Tempa AZ, I had a conversation with a fellow BA about brown ale. This one pours with a standard dark brown color and a rim of khaki collar. Scents are a bit of roasted malts and some caramel.

First swigs: Some caramel and roased malt. Almost burnt. Leafy and balanced. Nothing crazy going on. Just standard brown. Sugary sweet root beer.

Medium body. Buttery oily feel with standard middle carbonation.

Last swigs: so-so. A good ole brown. At best, a new brown to add to the roster.

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

this is a tasting of an older bottle. Beer poured into pint glass, color is light brown, head is very thin and dissipates quickly.

Smell is mild chocolate and toasty malts, mild nutty and toffee notes, not fresh but not too old.

Taste is a little sweet, light caramel and chocolate, strong bitter mouthfeel but not too much in the flavor in terms of hops, maybe some grassiness.

Mouthfeel is a little bitter, but not overly so, expected for this type of brew. Lingering sweetness helps to balance, but bitterness lingers on tongue.

Overall, this is a beer with good bones, maybe a bit above average for a brown ale; would like find it again some time in AZ.

Photo of

12oz. bottle

Hazy, very dark brown. Large, light tan creamy head. Darkest brown ale I believe I have ever seen. Deep copper & red tones also present.

Smells of molasses. Dark fruits - faintly. Touch of coffee. Roses. All in all, very sweet aroma.

Taste turns 180 degrees. Roast & coffee notes most apparent. Much more bitter than sweet. Citrus flavor which lingers well into the aftertaste. Much sharper than you would expect from a brown.

Medium - light body. Medium - light carbonation. Fairly dry.

An interesting brown, and given my fixation on hops, I liked it. However, not very true to style.

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

Totally different beat of a label, showcased with people and a background from the Classical era. From it's 12 ounce bottle, poured into a pint, on to the beer:

Dark brown in appearance with a big foamy head, this beer looks good in the glass. The aroma is of mocha, rubber, and toffee. The taste is mostly espresso-like; freshly ground coffee beans, phenolic (band aids), and roasted flavors, which linger on the tongue. It's not the way I prefer my brown ales, but it's workable.

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A fine brown, creamy and licorice aroma and taste, I think Solomon420 sent this hitchiker, but I stand to be corrected. A bit of creaminess on chocolate brown colour. A tad aggressive carbonation, altogether serviceable but just another brown, I wonder why.

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%

Well, appearance was the best catagory for this guy. What sold me, was the awesome head that appeared, plus the nice dark amber body. The head though, was truely magnificent. I had it in the fridge and let it warm up a few minutes, so that helped it florish a little. Great retention and super thick fluffy head. Smell was nice too. Had elements of fruits, roasted malts, and a sort of granola thing going on. I guess you could say it had a smell of sweet feed, which is awesome. Taste was ok, but nothing too exciting. Just your average Nut Brown. That's not a bad thing I guess, so it could have been worse. Overall a nice brew from AZ.

Big thanks to Jess for bringing me back this one from her trip to compete in the Women's World Championships of the Highland Games.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up while I was on the road this past summer. Like a lot of the other beers I got, I never had this before nor had I ever tried anything brewed in the Grand Canyon State. I expected this to be a pretty typical Brown Ale along the likes of Newcastle or Brooklyn's Brown and sure enough, that's pretty much what this was. The taste wasn't quite what I expected, but there wasn't anything wrong with this beer nevertheless!

This had a decent pour to it - brown, moderate head and lacing, and a nutty aroma to it. The mouthfeel was thin but there was a background flavor of licorice and the carbonation of root beer. The Brown Ales that I've had before never really had that much foam when I swished them around but this was different. Needless to say, it was pretty light and went down easily, with only the slight burnt-like aftertaste remaining. Whether this is a good or a bad trait is up to the person drinking this beer.

Of course, this has "session" written all over it. I'm not sure if I'd down more than one or two in a sitting on purpose but during the summer, there was a time where I just cracked a few open after a long day on the road. This won't win any awards but I'm glad I bought it. It's good to have a beer from a neck of the woods that doesn't produce much and it rounded out my summer portfolio quite nicely. Worth a shot for someone looking for a Brown with a taste that's just a bit more than plain.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Beer pours a clear dark brown/copper color with a slight white head.

Aromas are nutty, roasted malts, toasted bread and cedar like spice.

Taste is light, with some classic brown ale flavors. Nutty, woody, with some creamy and sweet malts. Finish is crisp, but a bit fading.

Mouthfeel is average at best, feels somewhat thin in the mouth.

Drinkability is pretty good. Fairly tasty beer, but kind of uninteresting. Just lacking in mouthfeel and needs a bit more flavors to be better in my opinion. Still it's tasty enough, and very easy to sip.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear dark brown, the head is light chocolate, frothy, long lasting, with decent lace. Nose is nutty sweet, malt, caramel, the front is sweet, and the top is middling in its feel. Finish is moderately carbonated, somewhat dry, well hopped, and a quite drinkable beer. A middle of the road "Nut Brown", drinkable and worth a try but may be a bit too sweet for many as it was for me.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Ahh Nimbus. The people with probably the worst brewery web site ever (as of the time of the review at least)…

Nimbus Brown Ale really actually looks brown. So many brown ales look black, or even reddish in normal light. Of course, a bright light can tease some red through the dark body, but ambient room lighting reveals a truly brown beer, juxtaposed aesthetically well below a tan head that fades a little faster than I would have hoped. A moderate aroma of dry, chocolate malts and highly roasted coffee beans sets the stage for a roast-fest, which is exactly what this beer offers. I drank a lot of this beer while on my recent Tucson visit and I was impressed with the roastiness I got. It’s not so much chewy, or sweet, or toasty, or even burnt, like a Dry Stout. This one is just roasty. It tastes like the skin on a well roasted marshmallow—the kind that DIDN’T catch on fire. The chocolate malt in the aroma becomes increasingly pronounced as the beer warms. The flavor driven by this particular ingredient expands right along with the rising temperatures, lending the characteristic earthy dryness. Slowly, the dryness becomes pretty intense, even as the sweetness builds the closer to room temp the liquid gets. The hops are very understated—sweetness mitigators only.

I’m all for brown ales. In fact, I think they’re an under-appreciate style that I wish brewers would put more effort into, as opposed to brewing one because they think they should. However, this brown ale is not in the style that I really like: it was not quite sweet enough, and the apparently high % of chocolate malt in the grist created a fairly overwhelming presence in the finished beer. In fact the dry earthiness began to border on metallic. Still, this was a good beer. If I were of the ilk that craved chocolate malt earthiness, I would actively search this beer out. It’s not flawed, it’s just not my style. Therefore, I won’t penalize it sharply it for it’s chosen flavor characteristics, which I personally believe lend a slight harshness to the overall character of the beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to bennetj17 for this one.

Pours a dark brown color, nice carbonation, huge creamy tan head, lots of lacing throughout the drink. The nose is slight roasted malts, slight hops, and caramel. The taste is malty, and slightly bitter, the finish is dry. Medium body. Drinkable, a nice nut brown ale from Nimbus (my first).

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark brown with a thin, tan head with minimal retention; lacing is average

S: Nutty and grainy qualities dominate; a subtle brown sugary quality persisits as well; fairly tame and subtle aromas overall

T: Nutty maltiness upfront with a bit of caramel sweetness underneath; a touch watery

F: Fairly thin though mouth feel is decent on back end

D: A drinkable and sessionable brown--though the thinness becomes slightly wearing

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter (bottled on?) date stamp of Nov/Dec.

Beer is clear dark brown but nearly opaque in the glass.
Small tan head quickly reduced to a thin partial crown leaving spotty lacing.

Aroma: Medium malts, toffee, chocolate and a hint of roasted nuts and vanilla.

Flavor: caramel and medium roasted malts and a touch of vanilla. Good sweet/bitter balance. A touch of smoke in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: smooth; coarse, medium carbonation imparts a bit of tingle. Medium body.

Overall: a modestly better than average nut brown ale.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

I don't normally remark on the packaging, but it appears that they have their own unique shaped bottle with an "nb" raised in several places around the neck. Very distinct with a nice label as well! A slightly hazy, deep russett body is topped by a full, big-bubbled foamy head that holds exceptionally well and leaves nice lace throughout the glass. The aroma is perfumy - floral but also soapy - over a mildly nutty malt. The body is medium/light but a somewhat aggressive carbonation foams up in the mouth giving it a larger impression. The flavor is softly malty with some light caramel and chocolate, as well as a good amount of grassy and earthy hop flavor. It finishes dry with some astringency and a lingering earthy hop flavor - and another touch of the soapiness initially found in the aroma! Personally, I also found the full level of carbonation a bit unsettling as it masked some of the subtler malt flavors, and I couldn't really enjoy the beer until it settled down a bit. Not really worth the effort although the label was nice!

Nimbus Nut Brown Ale from Nimbus Brewing Company