Nimbus Nut Brown Ale | Nimbus Brewing Company

3.59/5
Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Consumed June 24th, 2012. Poured into a Samuel Adams "perfect pint" glass.

Beer is a clear dark brown with deep maroon highlights when held to sunlight. Moderate pour resulted in a one finger light tan head. Only a couple of minutes later, the head was just a thin crown leaving modest sheeting.

Aroma is roasted nuts, coffee, mocha and caramelized sugar. A dash of nutmeg and vanilla as well.

Flavor is moderately roasted malt and a touch of vanilla to start. A slight metallic midtaste is a flaw, but it fades fast, replaced with a deep, lingering but restrained bitterness akin to coffee. More complex than anticipated.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, smooth (falling just short of creamy) and has a bit of carbonation tingle to it.

Overall, a better than average brown. I would gladly drink this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked up a sixer to share with friends form AJ's. While not amamzing, it's a decent brown ale with a little hops accent. The aroma has a big dark chocolate character, while the flavor is tastes more like dark bread crust with a hint of toast. The hops pop in for balance and a nice citrus hit, but this beer is a little sweet. Not a bad brown at all, but I'd consider it more of an American take on the style.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

2.41/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured into a tall tumbler, Nimbus Nut Brown Ale is brown with a tan head that leaves foamy lace.

Smell is lightly toasted malt, a bit sweet, caramel.

Taste is malty, a bit sweet, but it's mostly killed by the diacetyl, loads of butterscotch. It's rather phenolic as well, plastic. A little cocoa.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, light bodied.

Drinkability isn't too high. Not impressed. I bought this at a Scottsdale Bevmo just a few days ago and am still in town, so while it maybe a bad bottle/batch, it's representative of what their local audience would be drinking.

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5

an extra blind from Phelps for a few broken bottles last round.

The bottle cap says Nimbus Brewing Company

A - Pours a clear brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. There is an inch of tan foam that quickly faded to a layer of fine bubbles leaving some good lacing down the glass.

S - I'm picking up some slight caramel malts and a bit of spiciness. Not alot of aroma going on here

T - But then it hits you...big malty taste, nice sweetness with molasses, some coffee and brown sugar. The aroma leaves no hint of whats to come. It all finishes with a faint bitterness.

M - smooth and creamy mouthfeel, it seems to fill up your mouth and coat your throat like a delicious cough syrup.

D - This is very enjoyable and pretty drinkable. I really am enjoying this one and am guessing that I won't be able to easily get more.

4/3/4.5/4/4

pulling off the brown paper bag to reveal Nimbus Old Monkey Shine English Brown Ale
I really like this beer. Thank you to Phelps for the chance to try it.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Where did the "Nut Brown Ale" title come from? My bottle, like the one pictured, has no "nut" in it. An error from the original poster or has the name been changed by this Tucson brewer?

Anyway, on to the notes.... I have fond memories of drinking these at a buddy's wedding. Didn't disappoint this time, either. Purchased in a short, squat bottle from Total Wine on Camelback and the 51 and poured into a beer clean pint glass.

A: Pours a medium-dark brown with a very thin and quickly fading head. Pretty dark for the style but not overly so.

S: Brown sugar sweetness and leather.

Taste: Bitter and nutty, like the skin of a walnut. A little bit of overripe cherry on the finish.

M: My bottle is just a little flatter than I might hope.

D: Session-ready, for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Man, this is solid good beer. Totally on the mark for style and session to boot. Poured with a nice sized foamy, frothy, cream colored head that lasts quite a while and lots of lace. Color is a clear, dark walnut. Aroma is nut oil, malt, cocoa, and a little bittersweet. Flavor is exactly the same only jacked up. Body and carbonation are excellent and perfect for the style. Session beer for sure.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

I came to Arizona seeking some great beer from many states on the left side of the country, only expecting to try Arizona beers from two of the brew pubs. But I found this beer as well and, drawn in by the whimsical and slightly disturbing label, decided to try it. I'm glad I did.

The beer is certainly brown, I'll give them that. There's an off-white head with little retention but it does leave some pretty lacing.

The smell is of toasted bread and there are some spicy hop notes in there, but I can't place the spices. Maybe the spice is more phenolic than hoppy but I'm pretty sure it's hops.

The taste outstrips the smell, which I find odd since it usually goes the other way. I must say that I was surprised and in a good way. Brown bread with dark fruit, it's malty but not in a sweet way. It's nicely dry, but the finish has some phenols in it which dropped the score a wee bit. So I guess I was wrong in the smell as to where the spice came from. Still, the hops are present in the taste, but more floral than spicy.

My first venture into Arizonan beers is promising. I hope the rest of the beer here can measure up or even surpass this.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Generally poor head and lacing. Deep brown with reddish undertones. Clear body.

Smell: Roasted malt and molasses.

Taste: Moderate sweetness without much in the way of acidity or bitterness. Average duration.

Mouthfeel: Light body, creamy texture with soft carbonation. Very refreshing for a beer of this color.

Drinkability: One of the best American Brown Ales I have tasted. Balanced, easy to drink, light enough to have a few. If you like Brown Ale, you will like this. Not complex; making it easily forgotten...

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Look - Nice and dark. Unable to see through it in the light. Only a little bit of foam.

Smell - Malty, slight molasses aroma. Hopped up a little too for spice affect maybe? Not picking up much of a nut or grain.

Taste - Wonderfully malty, but with a sweeter balance. No bitterness at all. Molasses is still present, with a little more of a roasted coffee bean taste. Not bad at all for the low abv.

Mouthfeel - Very good balance, slightly watery texture with a creamy aftertaste.

Drinkability - This might be one of the finer American-brewed English Brown Ales I've tried. Good balance all around. I would probably not drink this too often only to be able to savor it better when I do.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Dark brown with a thin, tan head with minimal retention; lacing is average

S: Nutty and grainy qualities dominate; a subtle brown sugary quality persisits as well; fairly tame and subtle aromas overall

T: Nutty maltiness upfront with a bit of caramel sweetness underneath; a touch watery

F: Fairly thin though mouth feel is decent on back end

D: A drinkable and sessionable brown--though the thinness becomes slightly wearing

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up while I was on the road this past summer. Like a lot of the other beers I got, I never had this before nor had I ever tried anything brewed in the Grand Canyon State. I expected this to be a pretty typical Brown Ale along the likes of Newcastle or Brooklyn's Brown and sure enough, that's pretty much what this was. The taste wasn't quite what I expected, but there wasn't anything wrong with this beer nevertheless!

This had a decent pour to it - brown, moderate head and lacing, and a nutty aroma to it. The mouthfeel was thin but there was a background flavor of licorice and the carbonation of root beer. The Brown Ales that I've had before never really had that much foam when I swished them around but this was different. Needless to say, it was pretty light and went down easily, with only the slight burnt-like aftertaste remaining. Whether this is a good or a bad trait is up to the person drinking this beer.

Of course, this has "session" written all over it. I'm not sure if I'd down more than one or two in a sitting on purpose but during the summer, there was a time where I just cracked a few open after a long day on the road. This won't win any awards but I'm glad I bought it. It's good to have a beer from a neck of the woods that doesn't produce much and it rounded out my summer portfolio quite nicely. Worth a shot for someone looking for a Brown with a taste that's just a bit more than plain.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked up a single back in early April from Total Wine for $1.29. Bottled in Jan 09.

Beer poured a dark brown with a nice tan head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is toasted chocolate malts and a hint of floral hops. Taste is good, chocolate nutty malts with a dry hop finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and decently smooth. Drinkability is good. I could see this being a tailgate brew for the upcoming season!

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Thanks to NitroGen for sending this one my way.

A - Poured a nice brown color with a small tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a light aroma some nuttiness and spice on top of the malt

T - I'm getting some nutty flavor and roasted malt taste it finishes off a little weird with an almost ashy taste

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - To me this was an average at best beer there wasn't really anything wrong with it there just wasn't anything that made it better than any other brown ale.

Nimbus Nut Brown Ale from Nimbus Brewing Company