Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Moord & Doodslag (Disputin) | Brouwerij De Molen

YOUR RATING = None |
Moord & Doodslag (Disputin)Moord & Doodslag (Disputin)

Brouwerij De Molen
Netherlands | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Formerly named "Rasputin," then labeled as "Disputin" due to a dispute with North Coast over the name. Also has been called "Cease & Desist".

Added by ChainGangGuy on 03-30-2008

Reviews: 176 | Ratings: 410
4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

Pours a very dark brown. Almost black it's so brown. Large creamy/foamy eggshell colored head. Fades slow. Foam coats and sticks to sides.

Huge molasses and chocolate smells with a deep aroma of dark fruits.

Smooth smokey chocolate with a large molasses flavor and dark fruits (like plums and maybe even cherry) in the background. Light hints of licorice.

This beer is very reminiscent of a Dark Lord but thinner and a tiny bit smoother. The light carbonation keeps this beer from feeling flat while filling the palate. Making this a very drinkable beer, if it were a little more available and a lot cheaper. It is an amazing brew though.

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

Bottle number #214 poured into a tulip

A- Poured black with tints of red in the pour. In the glass jet black with a 2 finger brown sugar colored head. Poured more carbonated than I would have thought but looks good and after settling down a bit shows no real carbonation. Retains its head very well and leaves some lacing.

S-- Complex and start from there. Got dark fruits?? In a RIS?? Very nice. Got plum and fig in this. A good amount of sugar smell to this as I got brown sugar and molasses. Smells very thick and very rich. Alcohol is there but hidden by the fruits. Serving this at near 15 c and the smell has been very big.

T-- Get the mentioned fruits, big sugar taste, a little bit of hops and a lot of malt in this. It is syrupy but not in a bad way at all. The fruit really helps this out. Just enough hops to give this a small kick and no burn from the alcohol.

M-- Wow. All I can say. Does not feel like a RIS at all. More like a Belgian Strong Ale. Well balanced between fruit, hops, malt and sugar. No ABV burn at all. Slightly syrupy but that is the only negative I can come up with. Perfect carbonation.

D-- Highly drinkable. Feels lighter than 10.7%. Even served warm it is drinkable and hides a lot well. This would age quite well and would think improve well. It is a compliment to say this is a RIS you can drink in the summer. Like how the beer changes from more fruit driven to more hop driven. Nice choice in the hops.
Highly suggest getting a hold of this. Have to get a second one just to see how it mellows out in cellaring.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Deep mahogany color with a medium to thick brown head. Aroma is rich caramel and toffe, a touch hot from the alcohol, and a bit of leather and figs. Body is rich and creamy. Flavors are initially lightly sweet - rich chocolate covered caramel and lightly burnt (toasty), then dries a bit and the alcohol warms in the finish. Layers of figs, plums, coffee, toffee and caramel keep appearing as this beer warms a bit. Outstanding!

4.72/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

cease & desist from 13/09/12.... love the label wording... if it is true, I have to side with these guys. I mean, really North Coast? you ought to be ashamed of yourselves, if that is really all it was...
mine says 10.4% abv and is a beautiful dark mahogany brown. smell is of sweet ripe cherries, sherry, brandy. I could keep my nose inside this glass forever! I felt this was a 5 on smell....
i'm getting some interesting lacing on the sides of the glass. it's like a heavier, yeasty kind of sud, almost solid, but it washes apart when the liquid is sloshed up to it. very interesting!
taste is dark fruits, fig. booze-soaked raisin, as I've heard others say and now I totally understand that description... a little 'thinner' than most American stouts, but I prefer it that way. I don't much care for the thicker, syrup-y stouts, or the over-loaded coffee ones. it's too easy to go in that direction....
this is really nice. plain bottle, except for a little competitor bashing (if you can even consider them 'competition'); no fanfare, just a black n white bottle with a decent-tasting product. not the best in the world, but then what is? it's what fits in your hand and on your tongue right now and this one always seems to be above average regardless of the 'current conditions'. everything I have had from this line up has been above average and quite noble. very much inline with some of the better stouts I've tasted and yet with a much fairer price. for an import! that's why I keep buying this stuff....

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle #227 courtesy of Glenn and Davy at Alvinne - thanks!
A: Opaque dark amber/brown with a small but thick tan head that disappers quickly to reveal scant lacing.
S: Aroma of bitter chocolate.
T: Flavor of burnt coffee, dry and full-mouthed. Bitter chocolate finish.
M: Good body.
D: One of he best imperial stouts I have tasted, subtle and complex.

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

after being on order for over a year my local supplier made the call out & I responded, as well as 13 other lucky soles for a growler fill.
poured from growler into an american pint glass, opaque black elixer with zero light penetration and a nice 1 finger tan head.
the nose on this one was interesting, picked up some stronger hoppiness then expecting with a lush roasty grain & cream with a little coffee & dark chocolate
the wait & price were worth it. this brew hid it abv well, no heat. the deep grain bill was outstanding with the coffee dark fruit and chocolatey nuances that could have gone as deep as wanted. creamy dark strong coffee flavs were some of the best yet.
mouthfeel was very good with a nice low carbonation & creamy silky smooth.
the 11% keeps you in check on more than 2 I would imagine, but went down like butter! shared with wife & friends, good times!

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Phew, what a heavy hitter! Poured with the thickest slowest pouring residual foam I’ve ever seen. The tan head was amazinly foamy, frothy, billowy, thick, sudsy that seemed almost permanent and loads of clingy lace. Color is an opaque brown black. Aroma is roast, licorice, malt, molasses, dark leather, brandy, cough syrup. Flavor’s similar with sweetness in the fore, followed by bitter and tang. Very full, lush, voluputous and excellent carbonation. Finish is like flavor and very long. Absolute world class. Would love to have one in 20 years

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

A special thanks to jeffo for trading this to me.

Tons of air rushed out from the opening as I pried the cap off of this, I assumed the worst I figured it was another carbonation challenged DeMolen beer, but after the quick cap pry off, it revealed gun smoke coming out from the depths of the beer not the beer itself thank jeebus. 3 for 5 in the carbonation dept. DeMolen keep it up. The black wax (silly putty) was a nice touch even on the 12oz.

The pour into a gigundo wine glass left a creamy looking fine to mid bubbled head with some nice retention no real lacing, not a problem, more beer in my stomach than on the sides.

Smell has dark, nearing unsweeted chocolate, molasses, maybe some booze and figs in here as well.

Taste has semi-sweet chocolate, bitter coffee, and an earthy character which complements and almost enhances the sweetness given to the finish by the abv.

Mouthfeel is a bit too light and prickly for me for this style. Moderate alcohol heat given the abv but not by any means hot.

Although the mouthfeel is really one of the only drawbacks in this beer it is easier to drink, as intended, as Hel and Verdoemenis, most likely due to the carbonation that was lacking in my bottle of Hel and Verdoemenis (standard) but they have 2 more bottles to redeem themselves with.

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

WARNING! This bottle is a gusher! I now have the best smelling hand towel and carpet known to mankind.

Bottle 33 of a fresh 1115 bottle batch. 12oz named Cease & Desist.

A: Dark dark brown. Not quite black but I can't get any light through it. HUGE head (gusher). Big bubbles in this light brown/tan head that really sticks around. Here's a strange thing. I'm seeing some darker specks in the head and I remember seeing floaties in the beer the only other time I've had it (Disputin) at the Seattle International Beer Fest in 2010. Nice lacing as the head slowly dissipates.

S: I have this smell imbedded in my carpet now. It's a blend of dark chocolate malt and yeast. The aroma is very nice but not overly complex. That's perfectly fine with me though. I would buy the Cease and Desist candle from Yankee Candle, even at their ridiculous $15 price tag.

T: Smooth malty chocolate. Yum! Some breadiness. No hops at all. Delicious! I don't know what else to say. Just get this beer and drink it.

M: Creamy and full. The carbonation is incredible in this beer. It's not too fine but it's also not so prickly that it distracts you from the flavors. Perfect

O: Wow, I love this beer and I'm so sad it's not distributed here. Gong to have to trade for some. Wonderful flavor, great mouthfeel. Aside from the gushing, a world class imperial stout.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

My bottle is titled Rasputin, and was bottled on ?, bottle ?, the bottle mentions a alcohol percentage of 10,4% instate of the 11% mentioned by BA.

A - A pitch-black red colored beer (is this possible?) Good head, but it fades pretty quickly leaving a decent lacing.

S - Love the aromas coming off this beer, smells like a kind of black candy, liquorice and a bit of burnt sugar. I could swear that there is some champagne yeast used.

T - The taste is absolutely different than the smell would give away. Excellent brew! I am already sure that I will buy this beer again and again, a heavenly stout thats already for sure. Is there any alcohol in this beer? Very good alcohol hiding for a beer with more than 10% ABV. A complex beer with an superb taste. The after taste is what it should be. Sorry to say, but to my humble opinion its better than what the Struise brews (only concerning to the after taste that is). This is about as wild a stout as I've had. Not sour exactly but more sweet brown sugar, caramel, hoppy, some cherries and cocoa powder. A real funky brew, very unique!

M - Mouth-feel is solid over all. It was also a little syrupy but I can't complain.

O - Overall I liked it quite a bit. But I think that was already obvious. Pretty funky for a stout and definitely very unique. Is this beer made in Holland? A reason the more to be proud on my country.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Thanks goes out to lightindarkness for this brew.

750ml
Caged/Corked/Waxed

Brewed 14 Dec 2007
Bottled 1 Feb 2008
Batch 524
Bottle 459

Poured into my St. Bernardus Watou glass, a very nice black color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger plus tan head, lots of nice small islands and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, dark fruit, slight toffee, some vanilla. The taste is sweet, malty, nice little touch of hops, dark fruit, slight toffee and vanilla. Medium body, the finish is dry/slightly bitter. The alcohol is hidden very well. Very drinkable, this reminds me of a BSDA/RIS hybrid, highly recommended. Thanks Christian.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Rich and thick like motor oil. Tastes considerably better. The bottles we got upon opening proceeded to have a profuse amount of head that flowed out of the bottle like lava for some reason, and would not stop. They had been stored standing up, ad 50 degrees F, and not moved or shaken at all. The brew itself was amazing though, only wish some had not been lost (though we slurped up the head as fast as it came out). We had 6 bottles, and all of them did this. However, well worth it in any case. Amazing beer.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Got the chance to taste this wonderfull brew at Le Cheval Blanc in Montreal the other night
It seems I bought the last one !
My 750 ml bottle was still labeled Rasputin though and it was bottled in may 2010 and is # 293

Poured in a small pint glass it gives out a Dark opaque Brownish cloudy liquid.
Some big head forming at the top and the retention is pretty long and healthy

The Smell is strong on fruits, riped grappes, raspberry sweets, along with notes of oak and tobacco along with roasted malt. Something in there reminds me of Balsamic Vinegar. I'm sure the nose of this beer has evolved knowing its about a year old.

Taste is great to ! Full bodied packed with a burnt/roasted Malt taste and strong bitterness...81 IBUs...no wonder !
A mixture of candy sugar, star anis and dates.
The carbonation is quite creamy and not overpowering the different flavours of the beer.
It has a long and powerfull finish on mellow Brandy without the strong alcohol feeling eventhough it packs an 11% ABV.

I loved this beer, I even hassled the barkeep to bring one back home before understanding I drank the last one.
for me 32 bucks was a good deal !

Cheers lads

WS

4.45/5  rDev +15%

Black pour with almost non existent khaki head, from 11.2oz bottle into my SAPP; sweet plum, chocolate and caramel aromas; chocolate malt and rum soaked prunes up front; medium mouthfeel with good tongue coating; plum and raison flavors with chocolate malt behind as it warms up; alcohol well hidden; overall, tasty and satisfying.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

bottlenumber: 226
OG-FG 1102 - 1023 / 81 EBU / 199,7 EBC

A nice looking bottle with a vintage looking label with a lot of information. It seems that this beer can be kept for 25 years. Around the cork is black wax. Nice presentation.
The beer is deep black with red hues and a thick, creamy head that settles into a small foam.

Smell of dark bakery chocolate and dark cacoabutter, a mild roast and some hoppy and grassy notes from the hops. A really deep smell where there is little alcohol present.

Taste is bitter with big roasty notes. This is a big beer that has a big, sweet body. Alcohol is evident and brings a warming feeling in the back of my throat. After a couple of sips my moth is starting to get numb from the big bitter and alcohol attack. Hops are partly overshadowed by the big body, but there is still room for a light grassy and blackberry taste.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

My Bottle says Rasputin!

Bottle # 519/525 Bottled on February 1st. 2008 -Pours pitch black with beautiful brown highlights. A frothy one-inch caramel colored head crowns the beer. Aromas of bourbon, raisins, coffee, and chocolate notes position to get my attention. There are two aspects of Rasputin that makes this RIS exceptional. The bitter finish really stands out and the Mouthfeel blows me away as this beer playfully dances on my tongue. The 10.7% ABV is not hidden. Truly a World Class RIS!

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

I picked up this one online a couple of months ago, as I really wanted to try it based on some thoughts by a fellow BA. I decided to grab this one up out of the cellar last night to see how it was doing and to finally give it a try. Served at cellar temperature and poured into an oversized pint glass, this one was consumed on 09/16/2008.

Bottle #403 of 524.

The pour was very nice. Though I have to admit most unlike most other RIS I have had. A deep, dark, russet tinted brown. Lots of reddish hues coming through this one throughout the session. Not nearly opaque, but yet very dark indeed. A nice head, maybe two inches high came up over the top and settled down slowly leaving behind a very nice billow if tan across the top and really just a great amount of side glass lace to it. The only thing I could think of that detracted from this one was the lack of the pitch black darkness you would normally find.

The aroma was much like a quad at first, and to be honest reminded me a lot of the Black Albert I had. Deep rich notes of roasted malts, dark cherries, currant and a touch of fig. Very complex and interesting take on the style. Not those vanilla bombed, molasses infused chocolate stouts we have all come to love, this was dark alright, just in a different vane then the others were. The flavor was just as amazing and in fact went through several transformations as it approached its room temperature peak. At first it was much like a very big quad, lots of cherry and dark fruit like flavors mixed in with a roasted, almost smoky malt that served to let you know this was indeed a stout. As it warmed though it started to peak through with a bit of cocoa, just the slightest touch of sweetness coming through now but still, that dark, cherry and currant like flavor that was all over this. The slightest bit of tartness working its way though as well, really just plowing over the flavor at the end leaving me with a long drawn out flavor, somewhat dry, and a nice touch of sweetness on the tongue.

The feel was very interesting. First off it was much light then most of you big stouts, but at the same time it was much more carbonated then most of the big stouts as well. Really very well put together, there was never a moment when it was flat in any way or even the slightest bit boring. This was definitely a sipper as I actually had to take pause when trying to finish the entire bottle off, but after a couple hours I sipped my way through it, but this was definitely a big beer to say the least.

Overall though this was really great. I do not think it would be fair to compare this one in the same arena as Kate or a Dark Lord or Abyss. This was a totally different style of beer. This beer is one of the reasons I think that we need to move to a new category for the Belgian Imperial Stout. This is a very different beast that needs to be appreciated as such. This was a markedly good beer that should be enjoyed by everyone.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

Huge thanks to Greenville Beer Exchange for this growler of deliciousness.

A - Poured from a growler into a plastic Rockhoppers cup (hey, it was a tailgate). Pours ebony with a big dark brown head that sticks around for a bit.

S - There is an enormous complexity here. There's dark chocolate, lighter chalky cocoa nibs, dark roasted malt, almost a slight peppery taste.

T - All the fine aromas of the nose find themselves quite represented in the flavor of this big beer. Boozy and strong, but possessing robust flavors.

M - Slightly thinner bodied,

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Note: 2009 vintage, aged for 13 months at temperatures varying from 5 to 35 degrees Celsius (my "cellar" is only good at keeping light out!).

Appearance - 5.0
Pours two to three fingers of foamy beige head into a snifter glass, showing excellent retention and leaving some lace. Body is jet black, impenetrable to light.

Smell - 4.5
Roasted malt gives a mocha nose that is quickly surpassed by pine needles, a little mint and plum with a pleasant caramel sweetness.

Taste - 4.5
More to the American interpretation of the style, with robust hopping as well as substantial burnt, roasted bitterness. Sweet, plummy, port-like fruitiness and cocoa fade into piney, minty hops with a little roasted coffee. Warming, peppery alcohol arrives late, seeming less than the stated 10.7%.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
Fine, creamy smooth carbonation gives the beer a lightness in the mouth that belies its strength and richness of flavour.

Drinkability - 4.0
Nearly a 4.5. That this was very pleasant on a hot summer's night speaks volumes about its drinkability.

OVERALL - 4.45
The best stout I've tried to date, brilliant stuff. Based on some other reviews I've read, I tend to think that the beer has actually improved from its rapid, warm aging, as it has the mellow sort of character that can be found in many good aged stouts or barleywines.

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark brown with lots of mocha foam.

S: Roasted malt, coffee, brown sugar, sweet molasses and chocolate in the nose.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, molasses and roasted malt.

M: Full bodied and smoothish.

O: Not as good as Hel & Verdoemenis, but a damn good example of the style.

Note: I don't think this beer is called Disputin any more. My bottle said Cease & Desist.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance was a beautiful black body and thick sudsy brown head which cleared quickly.

Taste was very rich but pleasingly free of the soy-saucy savoury taste that is common among heavy stouts and porters.

The feel was thick and smooth, not heavily carbonated. Drinkability is very high because the low carbonation and smoother taste didn't wear out the mouth as much as some strong dark beers.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one fresh from the new brewery

From tap at the molen

The beer pours a very dark brown color with a small brown head.

Smell: roasted caramel malts, dark chocolate, vanilla, some light coffee and hops.

Taste: A bit sweetness from the caramel and dark fruits, slightly hidden sourness from cherries and/or apples, roasted malts and coffee flavors with clear dark chocolate. Bitter in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation (this used to be an issue with the beer when brewed in the old brewery)

Overall: The carbonation makes this beer perfect, finally the molen managed!

4.37/5  rDev +12.9%

A- Poured into my tulip glass...color is very reminding of cola, and it appears to be clear as it poured. There is a gentleness about the carbonation rising to the top as well. The head isn't really that great, or plentiful for that matter...basically creating a ring around my glass. The lacing is quite good, retaining strong wisps of foam around the glass.

S- My initial reaction to the aroma is of booziness, and dare fruits. There is some roasted dark malt, unsweetened chocolate, and a Madeira like richness about it....raisins/prunes etc. The finish contains some Earthy dry bitterness....

T- This is a really amazingly tasty beer! First, the alcohol is superbly well hidden...one actually wouldn't know this was over 10% if they didn't read that on the label. There is distinct flavors of black coffee and unsweetened cocoa bitterness, roasted malt, and a rich Earthy dryness about it on the finish. The dark fruitiness experienced in the aroma becomes actually quite subtle and only lingers really on the aftertaste.

M- This has a solid medium body to it, which I wasn't really expecting, and the carbonation is very mellow, providing a creamy, roasty beverage.

O- This is definitely worth the high praise that previous reviewers have given it. While I think one is enough to sip on for anybody, it has real character, and would be a great nightcap type of brew. This would also serve well to pair with a BBQ steak I feel. Nice job and I will seek this one out again!

4.37/5  rDev +12.9%

Pored on tap at In De Wildeman in Amsterdam.

A: The beer is a pure black with only a few specks of brown coming in when held to light. Head is pure brown, creamy and has good retention. Hot chocolate looking.

S: Wonderfully rich chewy and maly aroma of all kinds of chocolate, cafe au lait, espresso, slight oak character and a touch of some kind of berry. Very surprising and quite incredible.

T: Dark chocolate and cherry with a touch of oak. Vanilla, tobacco, and a huge roasted malt character. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Finishes with a huge roasted character and chocolate. Mocha-like with a fleeting touch of fruit. Very nice and very rich.

M: Not velvety smooth, but a bit thin in comparison to some other RISs.

D: Incredibly heavy and rich. Makes this a 1 at a time affair.

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Chalice.

A: Very dark black pour. Two finger tan head that is very creamy and has excellent retention and beautiful lacing.

S: Sweet chocolate with roasted coffee notes. Dark fruits are present also with cherries and figs mostly.

T: Huge dark chocolate and coffee with huge roasted malts. Edging on the burnt side but totally works. Dark fruits come big in the middle with raisins, figs, cherries, and dates. Again super roasty/charred with a touch of cherry coffee bitterness in the finish. A bit of alcohol also. Chocolate lingers forever in the aftertaste.

M: Medium to full body. Super creamy due to the very high carbonation. Almost works but not quite.

O: This is definitely an awesome RIS. Everything I've gotten that is distributed by the Shelton Bros. (that I can't get) has been excellent.

Moord & Doodslag (Disputin) from Brouwerij De Molen