Moord & Doodslag (Disputin) | Brouwerij De Molen

Moord & Doodslag (Disputin)Moord & Doodslag (Disputin)

Brouwerij De Molen
Netherlands
brouwerijdemolen.nl

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Formerly named "Rasputin," then labeled as "Disputin" due to a dispute with North Coast over the name. Also has been called "Cease & Desist".

Added by ChainGangGuy on 03-30-2008

Very good stout, one of the best stouts i've ever had!

4.95/5  rDev +27.6%

Pours a very dark brown. Almost black it's so brown. Large creamy/foamy eggshell colored head. Fades slow. Foam coats and sticks to sides.

Huge molasses and chocolate smells with a deep aroma of dark fruits.

Smooth smokey chocolate with a large molasses flavor and dark fruits (like plums and maybe even cherry) in the background. Light hints of licorice.

This beer is very reminiscent of a Dark Lord but thinner and a tiny bit smoother. The light carbonation keeps this beer from feeling flat while filling the palate. Making this a very drinkable beer, if it were a little more available and a lot cheaper. It is an amazing brew though.

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

Bottle number #214 poured into a tulip

A- Poured black with tints of red in the pour. In the glass jet black with a 2 finger brown sugar colored head. Poured more carbonated than I would have thought but looks good and after settling down a bit shows no real carbonation. Retains its head very well and leaves some lacing.

S-- Complex and start from there. Got dark fruits?? In a RIS?? Very nice. Got plum and fig in this. A good amount of sugar smell to this as I got brown sugar and molasses. Smells very thick and very rich. Alcohol is there but hidden by the fruits. Serving this at near 15 c and the smell has been very big.

T-- Get the mentioned fruits, big sugar taste, a little bit of hops and a lot of malt in this. It is syrupy but not in a bad way at all. The fruit really helps this out. Just enough hops to give this a small kick and no burn from the alcohol.

M-- Wow. All I can say. Does not feel like a RIS at all. More like a Belgian Strong Ale. Well balanced between fruit, hops, malt and sugar. No ABV burn at all. Slightly syrupy but that is the only negative I can come up with. Perfect carbonation.

D-- Highly drinkable. Feels lighter than 10.7%. Even served warm it is drinkable and hides a lot well. This would age quite well and would think improve well. It is a compliment to say this is a RIS you can drink in the summer. Like how the beer changes from more fruit driven to more hop driven. Nice choice in the hops.
Highly suggest getting a hold of this. Have to get a second one just to see how it mellows out in cellaring.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Deep mahogany color with a medium to thick brown head. Aroma is rich caramel and toffe, a touch hot from the alcohol, and a bit of leather and figs. Body is rich and creamy. Flavors are initially lightly sweet - rich chocolate covered caramel and lightly burnt (toasty), then dries a bit and the alcohol warms in the finish. Layers of figs, plums, coffee, toffee and caramel keep appearing as this beer warms a bit. Outstanding!

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hell for the price and age of this brew, which sat almost 2 years in the beer store prior to my purchase alongside one year in my cellar, this is a really fantastic and EASY DRINKING beer that tastes to me like a 5-6% ABV stout. So crazily does this dark ale settle with the palate that ultimately renders it crushable; in no way is Rasputin, produced by North Coast Brewing, any better in my mind than this fantastic beer. If this came in six packs, I would never choose any other imperial stout to casually drink in my leisure!

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

cease & desist from 13/09/12.... love the label wording... if it is true, I have to side with these guys. I mean, really North Coast? you ought to be ashamed of yourselves, if that is really all it was...
mine says 10.4% abv and is a beautiful dark mahogany brown. smell is of sweet ripe cherries, sherry, brandy. I could keep my nose inside this glass forever! I felt this was a 5 on smell....
i'm getting some interesting lacing on the sides of the glass. it's like a heavier, yeasty kind of sud, almost solid, but it washes apart when the liquid is sloshed up to it. very interesting!
taste is dark fruits, fig. booze-soaked raisin, as I've heard others say and now I totally understand that description... a little 'thinner' than most American stouts, but I prefer it that way. I don't much care for the thicker, syrup-y stouts, or the over-loaded coffee ones. it's too easy to go in that direction....
this is really nice. plain bottle, except for a little competitor bashing (if you can even consider them 'competition'); no fanfare, just a black n white bottle with a decent-tasting product. not the best in the world, but then what is? it's what fits in your hand and on your tongue right now and this one always seems to be above average regardless of the 'current conditions'. everything I have had from this line up has been above average and quite noble. very much inline with some of the better stouts I've tasted and yet with a much fairer price. for an import! that's why I keep buying this stuff....

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle #227 courtesy of Glenn and Davy at Alvinne - thanks!
A: Opaque dark amber/brown with a small but thick tan head that disappers quickly to reveal scant lacing.
S: Aroma of bitter chocolate.
T: Flavor of burnt coffee, dry and full-mouthed. Bitter chocolate finish.
M: Good body.
D: One of he best imperial stouts I have tasted, subtle and complex.

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

after being on order for over a year my local supplier made the call out & I responded, as well as 13 other lucky soles for a growler fill.
poured from growler into an american pint glass, opaque black elixer with zero light penetration and a nice 1 finger tan head.
the nose on this one was interesting, picked up some stronger hoppiness then expecting with a lush roasty grain & cream with a little coffee & dark chocolate
the wait & price were worth it. this brew hid it abv well, no heat. the deep grain bill was outstanding with the coffee dark fruit and chocolatey nuances that could have gone as deep as wanted. creamy dark strong coffee flavs were some of the best yet.
mouthfeel was very good with a nice low carbonation & creamy silky smooth.
the 11% keeps you in check on more than 2 I would imagine, but went down like butter! shared with wife & friends, good times!

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Phew, what a heavy hitter! Poured with the thickest slowest pouring residual foam I’ve ever seen. The tan head was amazinly foamy, frothy, billowy, thick, sudsy that seemed almost permanent and loads of clingy lace. Color is an opaque brown black. Aroma is roast, licorice, malt, molasses, dark leather, brandy, cough syrup. Flavor’s similar with sweetness in the fore, followed by bitter and tang. Very full, lush, voluputous and excellent carbonation. Finish is like flavor and very long. Absolute world class. Would love to have one in 20 years

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

A special thanks to jeffo for trading this to me.

Tons of air rushed out from the opening as I pried the cap off of this, I assumed the worst I figured it was another carbonation challenged DeMolen beer, but after the quick cap pry off, it revealed gun smoke coming out from the depths of the beer not the beer itself thank jeebus. 3 for 5 in the carbonation dept. DeMolen keep it up. The black wax (silly putty) was a nice touch even on the 12oz.

The pour into a gigundo wine glass left a creamy looking fine to mid bubbled head with some nice retention no real lacing, not a problem, more beer in my stomach than on the sides.

Smell has dark, nearing unsweeted chocolate, molasses, maybe some booze and figs in here as well.

Taste has semi-sweet chocolate, bitter coffee, and an earthy character which complements and almost enhances the sweetness given to the finish by the abv.

Mouthfeel is a bit too light and prickly for me for this style. Moderate alcohol heat given the abv but not by any means hot.

Although the mouthfeel is really one of the only drawbacks in this beer it is easier to drink, as intended, as Hel and Verdoemenis, most likely due to the carbonation that was lacking in my bottle of Hel and Verdoemenis (standard) but they have 2 more bottles to redeem themselves with.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

WARNING! This bottle is a gusher! I now have the best smelling hand towel and carpet known to mankind.

Bottle 33 of a fresh 1115 bottle batch. 12oz named Cease & Desist.

A: Dark dark brown. Not quite black but I can't get any light through it. HUGE head (gusher). Big bubbles in this light brown/tan head that really sticks around. Here's a strange thing. I'm seeing some darker specks in the head and I remember seeing floaties in the beer the only other time I've had it (Disputin) at the Seattle International Beer Fest in 2010. Nice lacing as the head slowly dissipates.

S: I have this smell imbedded in my carpet now. It's a blend of dark chocolate malt and yeast. The aroma is very nice but not overly complex. That's perfectly fine with me though. I would buy the Cease and Desist candle from Yankee Candle, even at their ridiculous $15 price tag.

T: Smooth malty chocolate. Yum! Some breadiness. No hops at all. Delicious! I don't know what else to say. Just get this beer and drink it.

M: Creamy and full. The carbonation is incredible in this beer. It's not too fine but it's also not so prickly that it distracts you from the flavors. Perfect

O: Wow, I love this beer and I'm so sad it's not distributed here. Gong to have to trade for some. Wonderful flavor, great mouthfeel. Aside from the gushing, a world class imperial stout.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

My bottle is titled Rasputin, and was bottled on ?, bottle ?, the bottle mentions a alcohol percentage of 10,4% instate of the 11% mentioned by BA.

A - A pitch-black red colored beer (is this possible?) Good head, but it fades pretty quickly leaving a decent lacing.

S - Love the aromas coming off this beer, smells like a kind of black candy, liquorice and a bit of burnt sugar. I could swear that there is some champagne yeast used.

T - The taste is absolutely different than the smell would give away. Excellent brew! I am already sure that I will buy this beer again and again, a heavenly stout thats already for sure. Is there any alcohol in this beer? Very good alcohol hiding for a beer with more than 10% ABV. A complex beer with an superb taste. The after taste is what it should be. Sorry to say, but to my humble opinion its better than what the Struise brews (only concerning to the after taste that is). This is about as wild a stout as I've had. Not sour exactly but more sweet brown sugar, caramel, hoppy, some cherries and cocoa powder. A real funky brew, very unique!

M - Mouth-feel is solid over all. It was also a little syrupy but I can't complain.

O - Overall I liked it quite a bit. But I think that was already obvious. Pretty funky for a stout and definitely very unique. Is this beer made in Holland? A reason the more to be proud on my country.

Moord & Doodslag (Disputin) from Brouwerij De Molen