Bommen & Granaten | Brouwerij De Molen

Style: English Barleywine

750ml: 53.9 IBU
330ml: 57 IBU

Added by hoppymeal on 11-12-2008

Amber colour, no head, no lace. Aroma of caramel and more caramel. Oranges, dried fruits, grapes, wood and wine notes, brandy. Full bodoy, creamy, dense, sticky palate. No carbonation. Taste, of course, caramel, dried fruits, notes of chocolate, oranges, wine notes. Fantastic, pure caramel.

q q q q q q

The labeling on this Beer SUX, I am being constructive because I really dig this beer. However there are about 4 or 5 classifications on the web for this beer.

I love beer, I really like Beer Advocate, there are others but this is the site I use.

Beer is a hobby of mine, and I love tasting all kinds of beers, I travel for work (41 countries and almost all the continental US). And I try to sample and review where ever I go.

This Beer I got at perhaps a reall Kewl Beer store in the Bay Area. The Willows Market in Menlo Park.

The Beer Manager (yes they have someone who's job is beer) recommended it to me.

I forgot what kind of beer it was, but I was in a beer stocking mission.

I put it in my Cellar (14 Deg C) where I put anything that is Like a Barley Wine or Most Belgians. On A Whim, after a fresh Hop NOR CAL IPA Beer I wanted something well, different.

I popped the cap and poured into a Konigshoeven Glass.

Appearance: Foamless if you omit the tiny ring of bubbles at the rim that disappear soon after you finish pouring into the goblet.
Rusty reddish brown with a fair amount of "Sinkers" (residual yeast) on the bottom.

Smell: WOW. SWEAT! Fruit and malt comes through very strong. Maltose, if you were running for president I would crown you, the maltiness and fruit in this pour was wonderful.

This beer reminds me of a Port. The sweetness and warmth really make this a desert beer.

I was so inclined to have a Ice Cream Sunday with Whipped Cream as I slowed my night down to enjoy this beer.

It is big, I should say BIG! A casual observer might try this beer with the wrong palette and not get it. If taken too early in the day, or prior to eating, your mouth would or could find the sweetness in this beer offensive.

But taken later, after thirst and hunger are quenched, perhaps after a meal and prior to or in leu of desert, this beer will hit you correctly.

Afternoon sessions of beer can be detrimental to beer styles. Especially barley wines and spiced christmas beers, beers better consumed after the sun has retired and our practical selfs have also retired.

Taste: Sipped and not quaffed as you would an ale or lager. This beer is sweet. This beer is a desert beer. The prune and date sweetness, almost like a molasses comes through, but it finishes dry.

This is a beer to relish, to enjoy at the end of the day, while reading or writing about beer.

I an enjoy this beer on introspective occasions.

Mouthfeel: I can suck at my cheeks for hours after drinking this and enjoy the after taste.

Overall: I really like this beer. I will stock it in my cellar for special occasions. It is not cheap, $9.99 US for the 33CL bottle.

One Bottle could server 2 easily if you sever like port.

At 15.2% it could make the space up.

This goes well with B&J Super Fudge Chunk and Whipped cream!

4.9/5  rDev +26.6%

Aged nearly two years. Pours a murky ruby/brown colour with a thin cap of tan head. Smells and tastes of intense caramel, toffee, coconut, marmalade, dark fruits, dirty hops, etc. Amazingly balanced, sweet, sticky and absolutely no indication that it is 11.9% abv! Probably the best barleywine to date due to the balance, drinkability, beautiful malt profile and absence of the abysmal American hop profile that is way to common in the barleywines of late. A touch of black or chocolate malt would improve this to a 5/5! Cheers!

4.76/5  rDev +23%

Absoutely fantastic. Almost closer to a port than a beer. Where can I find more!?

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

330ml bottle. Snifter glass. Review on jul´12. Reddish amber color. Foggy appearance. Yellowish beige, medium to small bubbled, froth creates creamy, fairly good retention, crown. Noble hop, spicy, intense caramel malt & candy aromas with hints of cinnamon. Sweet caramel malts, very ripe fruits –peach & apricot-, gentle warming & subtle bitterness at first sip. Buttery, plentiful & voluptuous palate. Raisin & sweet grapefruit in the middle. Full body, low carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slightly earthy finish. Aftertaste carries sugar cane, brown sugar & soft rhum-like hues. Amazing well balanced flavors & aromas. Delightful. Mandatory beer!!! Comment: Last year I enjoyed a 750ml bottle. I remember it so delicious but no notes were taken. Well, looking at labels I´ve realized: 750ml ltd. Ed. -#113- bottle 24,3EBC 53,9IBU but 330ml bottle 45EBC 57IBU.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 8/20/12; drank 5/18/16 @ the Yarchives.

Opaque dull red/orange appearance.

A violent pour yielded a minimal, bubbly khaki head; almost no lace.

Raspberry, leather, dry red wine & faint strawberry notes in the nose.

Thick, flat mouthfeel.

Raspberry & strawberry flavors up front; leather & dry red wine notes on the finish. Bold fruit punch flavors with a pleasantly dry finish; the flat mouthfeel tells me this was nearing the end of its life cycle, but holy shit this was delicious. I should have bought out the store...

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

4.66/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells like grape juice with an exceptionally smooth body.

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

Top notch barley wine. Good on a cold night.

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Creamy slightly off white head body is a brown brackish hue.

S: lots of toffee raisins and a lot of a yeast smell. Some burnt sugars a little bit of hops.

T: Lots of raisins, dates, figs, sweet candied sugars and toffee. Nice balanced yeast brings a smooth flavor.

M: Quite light and almost bordering on thin with little carbonation.

O: Drinks almost like a Belgian quad. The smoothness and lightness of the body is extraordinary.

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into teku glass. Very nice dark amber/red colour with little carbonation and tiny bubbles. A bit hazy. The head dissipates very quickly. Smells just great! Reminds of honey, caramel, dates and molasses with the alcohol hidden very well. Maybe a tiny bit of leather in the background.
Tastes sweet, with dark caramel upfront and a slight bitterness at the end, which somehow survives in the aftertaste. Feels syrupy with medium body and low carbonation. Absolutely fantastic!

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

330ml bottle 15,2% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Bottled on: 23/08/2011 good for 25 years.

Other bottle information:
EBC: 45
EBU: 57

De Molen seems to have a bit of a problem with their bottle filling machine; this bottle was filled right to the top, there was almost no air!
I wasn't expecting much of a hiss when I opened the bottle, but there was no audible noise - I hope the beer isn't totally flat.

Appearance: Bommen & Granaten almost gloops out of the bottle - it looks amazing thick and syrupy. The body is a lightly clouded reddish-amber with beautiful orange edges when backlit. To my relief a small collar of white foam forms and lasts most of the way down. A light swirl yields light alcohol legs.

Smell: Mmmmm, big sweetness to start - toffee, treacle and brown sugar covered cooked apples, dates, figs and plums. Molasses, some sherry character, candied citrus, golden raisins and a touch of nutmeg are also noted. As the beer warms I was very surprised to find an earthy leather note. The 15% is not noted in any way in the nose.

Taste: As with the nose, the flavour is stunning. Initially very sweet with toffee, treacle and brown sugar notes. This is followed by plums, stewed apples, dates, figs and golden raisins. Light rum and sherry notes are present, but in flavour only as the alcohol is superbly well hidden, there is a light warming in the back of the throat, but nothing that would make me think this was more than 10%. This finish is lightly bitter with the faintest note of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Stunning feel - quite heavy, sticky (almost syrupy body) with very mild carbonation that is just enough to lift the beer and keep it from being cloying.

Overall: I adore these massive beers and this is one of the best! I will certainly have this again. I think it would be a perfect after dinner drink on a cold winter’s night.
Surprisingly this is also my mother's favourite of all the beers I have given her.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%