Borefts Bok 2009 | Brouwerij De Molen

Added by PapaEugene on 10-14-2009

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by PapaEugene:
4.92/5  rDev n/a

I added this as a new beer because De Molen Bok 2009 has nothing to do anymore with previous versions.

Once in a while you get extremely surprised. For me it happened with this Borefts Bok. On the bokbier tasting evening with fellow BA member rvdoorn we opened this bottle....
Forget earlier releases of this beer, this is the one!!!!

A: A nice a hazy orange-amber color with a very thick longlasting head.

S: Pliny the Elder was the first thing that popped in my head!!!! This strong grapefruit smeel is also present here as well as tropical fruits. No roasted malts and caramel detected but that seems logical after this HOP-ATTACK!

T: Yep, cascade hops in full swing. Strong similarities with pliny again. Some roasted tints and a hint of coffee makes this one even more special to me.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation and creamy mouthfeel.

D: Hell Yeah!!! What I really like about this beer is that I can stop now all attempts to get some Pliny imported. What a great surprise, thanks De Molen!!!. Not really a bok, but who cares.

For those about to drink we salute you.

4.82/5  rDev n/a

I had the 2007 brew of this beer two years ago, but didn't really like it. Via other people, I heard that the Molen brewery changed the recipe for this brew completely for the 2009 version (my bottle also states 7.2% ABV, instead of the previous 6.5% ABV). So, me being curious, I gave this beer a second chance during a beer-tasting evening with PapaEugene. I bought the bottle in the local Liquor shop in Wageningen.

Although the recipe is supposed to be changed, the bottle still looks exactly the same as the previous years, only now with 2009 written on it. Poured into an original the Molen sniffer. The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color with a nice, long lasting very creamy fluffy head.

Smell: WOWOWOW, I have a flashback, to be more precise, a Pliny the elder flashback. The smell is full of sweet tropical fruits like mango, passion fruit and banana. Also very strong on sweet-bitter grapefruit (cascade hops). This is almost an exact copy of the Pliny smell.

Taste: Again, a Pliny copy. This is THE European hopbomb. Cascade hops all over the place. I even dare to say I liked this one more than the Pliny, because it is less dry in the mouth, improving both drinkability and mouthfeel. The mouth stays fresh and I didn't have to rinse my mouth with water the whole time to be able to taste the beer...

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, very creamy and medium carbonation

Overall: This is one of the most surprising beers I had in my life. Not a typical bock beer at all! The 2009 version of this beer completely changed compared to the previous years, or the Molen wrongly put a different beer in my bottle :) Like day and night, water and fire. And hell yeah, this is the Bomb. Fellow European BA-members and Hopbomb lovers, stop trying to import the (in Europe) very hard to get Pliny the Elder and drink this one instead. Same smell, same taste only with improved mouthfeel and drinkability! The Borefts Bok 2009 brew is best Molen beer ever, but not a typical bock anymore!

Borefts Bok 2009 from Brouwerij De Molen