Hel & Verdoemenis 666 | Brouwerij De Molen

Brouwerij De Molen
Netherlands
brouwerijdemolen.nl

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Batch 666 was H&V with added wood chips soaked in a 40 year old cognac.

Added by UncleJimbo on 03-09-2010

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

18cl bottle poured into my Darkness glass, picked up in Gent...Dark brown pour with no carbonation, no lacing...Very strong aroma, lots of alcohol, heat of the cognac, char, and lightly bitter chocolate. Its ok, but I'm not hopeful...The taste almost saves this beer, tones down the alcohol, albeit sill present. Wood on the finish and the feel if that makes sense. The more I drink the more the cognac comes out, makes this a really smooth feel and finish, but still alcoholy. Light coffee comes through to balance. I am not very familiar with cognac so its a little hard to judge this beer, as it is breaming with it in the aroma and taste. The more I drink though the more I like it, especially the cognac, makes me want to search out similar beers, however, to find more made with 40 year old cognac is going to be hard.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml Black waxed (silly puttyed?) Corked and caged utterly sinister bottle courtesty of redtailjet. Thanks so much for this man!

Poured into an oversized ridel bordeaux glass.

Pitch black beer with a small one finger espresso foam colored head that has moderate retention but disappates after about 2 minutes into a fine foam with a collar of fine bubbles. Swirling the glass leaves some nice lacing but no real lacing stays around as the beer goes away.

Smells of coffee, bakers chocolate, dark chocolate with some anise, oak, an underlying boozy smell most likely from the cognac. A bit hot on the nose as well.

Taste is intense, bitter chocolate, bitter coffee, smoke, slight licorice. Aftertaste has a lingering vinous heat, almost like alcoholic grape juice finish.

Mouthfeel is silky and slightly hot on the finish, mild carbonation kicks in at the very end.

Overall an outstanding beer a different take on an RIS but extremely well executed and worth the difficulty to get. I will be aging the second bottle to see how it holds up. It was the exact opposite of the first regular HV I had, this is going away far to quickly, I will miss it dearly.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

250 ml bottle from Sven in Denmark. Opaque with creamy reddish-brown head, 1/16" retaining. The aromas are insane, malty rich chocolate, and may be cognac and coffee. A cascade of lacing drops are artistically splayed on the glass. Thick, cognac coffee, boozy.Rich aftertaste in back of throat, alcohol on lips.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a tiny dark brown bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma of light whiskey notes with some sweet notes. Taste is also dominated by whiskey notes with no alcohol being apparent and light dry roasted notes barely noticeable. Body is about average with almost no carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Barrel-aging was really well executed with no apparent alcohol and a creamy warming texture that I really appreciated.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

This little bottle. I had wondered aloud in my house about it for months. It just looks pure evil and boy was it ever. What are these things like 5oz? We split this, me and Rich in two tiny snifters as I did not want a bottle this special to be wasted on myself. Late night crew on 07/04/2010.

The darkest pour I had seen all week. Just pitch black and oily. Thick as a milkshake with a small head of tan that barely covered the top of the glass but did leave some really nice lacing down the sides as we went through the session. I let it linger for a few moments and went in to take a sip, what I find is a wonderful blend of vanilla, oak, hints of roasted malts, burnt and bitter dark chocolate. Just immensely rich. Coffee coming at me now with a long, long and drawn out flavor that is really grabbing at the palate. Vanilla swirls in, tobacco, hints of molasses and really robust chocolate underlying it all. This was the beast of stouts. So dark and rich, foreboding and yet immensely complex. It took nearly 30 minutes before you could really appreciate what we had here. A wonderful, and truly unique take on a barrel aged stout.

Overall dark, evil, enlightening I will take it all in. This was an amazing beer, I only wish I could have had a little more of it.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a very thick oily black with a tan head that hangs around for a long time. Carbonation seems lively.

Smell is of wet wood, cognac (I wonder if I would smell that if I didn't know it was there), some hoppy notes, burnt chocolate.

Taste is of vanilla bean, definitely cognac, dark chocolate, warming alcohol (not harsh at all adds a very pleasant feeling to the beer). Smooth and sweet with a slightly hoppy note to it. Finish is of roasted malts. Mouthfeel is think and oily. Lots of big malty notes.

I'm pretty sure I just became a big fan of this beer. The cognac sweetness and light warming alcohol combined with the dark chocolate and burnt flavors really blend together nicely making a very drinkable RIS. I don't find this one a chore to finish. After a big hardy meal this would be an excellent desert beer. I don't find this to be a big huge overpowering smack in the face RIS, instead it's more subtle, seems well thought out, really allowing you to just sit and enjoy it.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Note: this is not the same as Hel & Verdoemenis, from the brewer this is "Batch 666 was H&V with added woodchips soaked in a 40 year old cognac"
Bought a couple small bottles that were on offer at pré ZBF. .2l bottles.

A very very dark, no head at all

S chocolate, wood, whiskey(cognac i guess)

T this is a very smooth drinking IS, nice chocolate taste, and a warming alcohol cognac taste at the end. Very nice, sort of a digestif version of an IS.

D I wish there was some carbonation in this, but thats ok, it makes it a different drink, almost, like I said, a digestif version of an IS. I dont think I could drink a ton of this, but after a meal .2l is perfect!

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last