Hel & Verdoemenis 666 | Brouwerij De Molen

Brouwerij De Molen
Netherlands
brouwerijdemolen.nl

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Batch 666 was H&V with added wood chips soaked in a 40 year old cognac.

Added by UncleJimbo on 03-09-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 130

I had a nip (2010 version?) of this a little while ago, but was too intoxicated to judge. Jeffo has provided the new 33cl 2011 version. There's no bottle # though. Slightly chilled and poured into a Darkness snifter.

A - Pours fairly (not completely) black with a thick, light-tan head. Doesn't stick to well. The head keeps it looking good, the color is a lot better in the glass.

S - Little bit of coffee, some oak and roasted malt.

T - There is the cognac. Chocolate, cognac, then a little bit of sweetness...coffee/roast, vanilla, dry oak on the finish. I think maybe just a tad too much cognac/oak. Roast does remain for a bit.

M - Medium. Just feels a little light on the tongue. Still silky, still smooth though.

O - Straight 4's across the board. Everything was above average, but nothing blew me away. Still a very good beer that I'd like to get again. I'm a larger fan of the other limited releases from De Molen. It also seems that their consistency on quality is on par. Time to start hoarding their stuff before everyone finds out.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Blacker than black with a small tan head that leaves a thin film on the beer.
I smell lots of coffee, roasted malts, cognac and a little chocolate.
The cognac is quite noticeable in the taste but not in a bad way, it meshes well with the other tastes and gives this beer something a little different. Other than that there's a good amount of coffee, some oak, very pure chocolate and malts. It's quite bitter and boozy.
The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth but not too heavy.

Overall I really like this beer, the cognac really adds to the flavour and gives it something extra.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks, David.

Typical H&V appearance, pouring a dark muddy brown with almost no carbonation.

Quite a bit of tar, char and molasses on the nose. Very sweet and rich, a bit chocolatey. Black licorice, cognac, oak.

Tastes very rich. Oak and cognac, charred malt, black licorice and bitter chocolate. Syrupy body with low carbonation. A lot of tannic oak, char and cognac in the finish. Very lingering. The dark malt character is thankfully not burnt, though it's pretty intense. This is rather good, but I think I prefer regular H&V.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

33cl bottle, no number, red wax.
Brewed: 14/11/2011 So it is quite fresh.

Black with a tan head. Bad retention. Not too thick.

Interesting aroma, some coffee I guess. Must be the oak and cognac? Roasted malts, some vanilla, chocolate and dark fruits.

The taste is very well balanced and not too agressive.
I get roasted malts, some fruitiness, oak, some wierd flavour that must be the cognac I am sure of it as it is boozy, some coffee and some vanilla. A reasonable bitterness. Not too much alcohol and a dry oaky aftertaste.

Creamy but not as thick as I expected. Good though, makes it quite drinkable. Also good carbonation.

Overal a good beer. Proof that we can actually make good beer in this country.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

65th Review
Bottle to snifter
Bottled 11/14/2011

Shared with farundrpar on a recent visit to Amsterdam.

A: Deep black. Quarter (mocha) fingernail head, with a bit of lacing, on medium pour.

S: Black biscuit, coffee, and loads of roasted dark malt. Something weird is intertwined in the mix; possibly seaweed, but I cannot make it out. This weird smell does not deter from the inviting aroma though; it is just interesting.

T: Tastes just like it smells, but the coffee is way more pronounced and comes thru start to finish. Sweet hints of dark chocolate and caramel.

M: Full bodied with low carbonation.

O: Roasty and smooth, but very good for the style. Well done De Molen!

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%

Whohoo de Molen released more of this. Jeffo did the leg work on this one and picked up some bottles of this all the way from Bodegraven.

2011 offering

Sitting around with the missus I decided to open this in order to deal with the fact that she is holding the remote. Poured from a 33cl bottle into a snifter.

It comes out dark brown not quite black and not as thick as some of the other de Molen Stouts. It comes witha nice one finger mocha head that leaves a nice bit of lacing.

BIG NOSE. I mean BIG. It could smoke a cigarette under the shower kind of nose. Roasted malts exploding over oak.

Tastes are also very impressive. A tond of dark chocolate with a ton of bitterness. Coffee biterness that is smooth at the same time. Somewhere in the middle there is oak and a hint of cognac.

As the pour showed already is the feel slightly lighter then what's expectd of a monster stout like this.

Man, this a great impressive beer. De Molen puts out some serious stouts that can compete with some of the best in the business. If you are a fan big stouts hunt this one down and enjoy. It will be worth it I promise.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

I found another beer in my Borefts booklet from two months ago i completely forgot to review. Borefts is THE most important beerfestival in Holland.

From my notes: poured in the De Molen tasting glass this beer looks normal; nothing spectacular to see. Fluid is deep dark brown to black.

Coffee and whisky (not cognac!) come in the nose.

Taste is sweet but not too much and some chocolate.

Mouthfeel is with lots of body. Overall a more than decent beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color with a dark brown head. The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of milk chocolate as well as some roasted malt and coffee. I also get a few whiskey notes in the aroma.

The flavor is also outstanding. I get a lot of nuttyness, as well as loads of chocolate and coffee. The oak and roasted malt are also present, as are some whiskey and cognac notes. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Thick, chewy mouthfeel and low carbonation. A very nice Russian Imperial Stout. Glad I got to try this one.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

I had it and enjoyed it at Borefts beer festival.

A - Dark, dark black beer with a tiny head with an off white head.

S - A good smell of chocolate and dark cherries, very nice and delightful and it also comes with cognac and oak aromas. Or as my beer buddy described it; smells like the masturbation of a mountain gorilla.

T - Heavenly cream, very very tasty. Cognac beer syrup, what more can I say. Just lay me on an infuse of this stuff. One of De Molen's best.

M - Smooth carbonation and some bitterness in the end. Medium body and medium carbonation.

O - This can be a good winner in any beer contest. Wonderful aroma and flavor. It wasn't for sale in the Molen's beer shop, can anybody give me directions were to get it, please.

Yesteday I tried the Bottled version (friday 23th of december 2011).
A4 - Looks the same as the festival version.

S4.0 - Where did the cognac, oak and cherries go? The only thing I am getting is a strong coffee smell with some dark chocolate.

T4 - See the smell review.

M4 - Same as the festival version accept the finish is really bitter this time.

O4 - Not a bad beer, but next time I will pass for the bottled version.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with mahogany edges and half finger off white head that slowly fades into a lasting ring.  Spotty lacing left behind.

Deep roasted, smokey aroma thats bursting with chocolate malt, oatmeal, toffee and coffee bean.  Although it's very roasty it doesn't smell acrid or burnt.  Just lots of luscious dark malt.

Full bodied with a good balance of roast and sweet malt.  Lots of dark choclate, toast, hazelnut,  coffee/espresoo bean. Well balanced with lots of silky chocolate countering the roasted notes.  Slightly smokey but never abrasive or acrid.  The abv is well masked with subtle alcohol flavor and little heat.  Dry finish.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Brad pulls out another interesting tiny bottle (#599) from his cellar, thanks! I don't believe that I have ever had beer that incorporates cognac, but I'm intrigued.

Pours a very dark brown into my Jester King snifter with just a flutter of tan head. Looks...good.

Wow this smells really nice and the cognac and oak are there, but not overpowering. Taste incorporates these flavors well with notes of caramel, chocolate, roast, fudge and perhaps a bit of coffee. Fuller bodied with low carbonation.

I've never been the biggest fan of De Molen, but this is a solid beer.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks for the opportunity for this one Digita7693.

Poured into my Cigar City Snifter. Just a ring of head with some film and little lacing. Super black. I thought the bottle was brown until it was poured and revealed green. Nice little 180ml bottle.

Aroma is awesome. Super roasty and bitter chocolaty. Nice

Taste is nice and roasty with a nice caramel sweetness. Very smooth and tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. Very smooth. Low carb.

Overall a very tasty brew and I like the idea for the 666th batch. Cool label and stuff. Glad I got to try this.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this little bottle. Bottle #599. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Holy hell, the nose on this thing is fantastic. Poured black with a very thin mocha head that quickly went away. Nose is fantastic and so incredibly smooth. There is a very large chocolate presence and quite a bit of barrel character. There is a bit of booze in the background as well as some roasted malt. The taste is big on the chocolate and barrel aspects with a slightly-oaked finish. Good fudge throughout. No booze or heat in the finish. Medium body. Really, wow. Big, big fan of this.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

The number of this beast: 599

The beer appears dark brown with a thin, beige head. The aroma is absolutely fantastic. 40 year old cognac barrels...wow. Loving this. Roast and spirits with subtle notes of barrels. Simply fantastic beer. Phenomenal feel with alcohol content a non factor. What a treat. Highly recommended.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

Originally had this about a year ago and it was completely flat. I can't stand flat beer, and despite this, I still scored it a C+. It showed a lot of potential. Since then I've been holding out hope that we'd meet again.

De Bierkoning in Amsterdam came across a box of nips while doing inventory a few weeks back, so I quickly ran down and grabbed a couple before they vanished. As soon as we opened the bottle and heard the magic sound, I got ready for a long awaited re-review.

From a 18cl bottle into a snifter
vintage: 2010

APPEARANCE: Pours dark brown and yields a small, dark tan or mocha colored head that appears out of nowhere. Head fades relatively quickly to a wisp and ring. Black body, though relatively transparent, with medium carbonation evident. A ring remains until the end and leaves touches of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Smells wonderful. Roasted malt, dark baker's chocolate and lots of oak notes. The cognac is definitely present, with light hints of vanilla as well. Bold and enticing, with plenty of well-measured cognac and oak aromas.

TASTE: Very tasty. Carbonation has really helped this brew. Roasted malts, dark baker's chocolate again, as well as lots of oak and cognac. Caramel notes, vanilla, and a good dose of booze in there as well. The aging is very present for sure. Aftertaste is bold and persistent with lots of oak, cognac, and dark chocolate flavors. Very tasty and enjoyable. One of De Molen's best.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Slightly lighter on the palate, though nicely creamy as well. Goes down fine with a bit of heat on the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Very glad this one is carbonated. What a world of difference.

OVERALL: A stellar brew. Wonderful aroma and flavor. The first bottle I had about a year ago showed lots of potential, but it just needed a little carbonation. Well, this bottle realized that potential. It is a little light in body, both in the look and feel, but those are minor drawbacks on what is otherwise a top notch offering from De Molen. Was very glad to have come across this brew again. It was worth the wait.

EDIT: Trying this one next to a H&V MacAllan BA and I have to give the slight nod to the MacAllan. Both are phenomenal brews though.

3.17/5  rDev -25.1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, said it was just the regular on the board, but they mentioned the cognac so I'm going with this,

A: Pours black with a wispy off-white head, fair retention.

S: Definite chocolate and oak with an intriguing spiritious quality.

T: Dark malt is the main flavour with good portion of wood, a nice flavour, but the beer quickly gets taken over by the ethanol and brandy flavours. This may have been good in the background, and while the beer still tastes all right it's not thrilling me.

M: Full-bodied, light carbonation, again dominated by heat/ethanol.

D: Certainly something that needs some aging to mellow out. It has good potential, but right now it's not the best of beers.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

18cl bottle poured into my Darkness glass, picked up in Gent...Dark brown pour with no carbonation, no lacing...Very strong aroma, lots of alcohol, heat of the cognac, char, and lightly bitter chocolate. Its ok, but I'm not hopeful...The taste almost saves this beer, tones down the alcohol, albeit sill present. Wood on the finish and the feel if that makes sense. The more I drink the more the cognac comes out, makes this a really smooth feel and finish, but still alcoholy. Light coffee comes through to balance. I am not very familiar with cognac so its a little hard to judge this beer, as it is breaming with it in the aroma and taste. The more I drink though the more I like it, especially the cognac, makes me want to search out similar beers, however, to find more made with 40 year old cognac is going to be hard.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml Black waxed (silly puttyed?) Corked and caged utterly sinister bottle courtesty of redtailjet. Thanks so much for this man!

Poured into an oversized ridel bordeaux glass.

Pitch black beer with a small one finger espresso foam colored head that has moderate retention but disappates after about 2 minutes into a fine foam with a collar of fine bubbles. Swirling the glass leaves some nice lacing but no real lacing stays around as the beer goes away.

Smells of coffee, bakers chocolate, dark chocolate with some anise, oak, an underlying boozy smell most likely from the cognac. A bit hot on the nose as well.

Taste is intense, bitter chocolate, bitter coffee, smoke, slight licorice. Aftertaste has a lingering vinous heat, almost like alcoholic grape juice finish.

Mouthfeel is silky and slightly hot on the finish, mild carbonation kicks in at the very end.

Overall an outstanding beer a different take on an RIS but extremely well executed and worth the difficulty to get. I will be aging the second bottle to see how it holds up. It was the exact opposite of the first regular HV I had, this is going away far to quickly, I will miss it dearly.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

250 ml bottle from Sven in Denmark. Opaque with creamy reddish-brown head, 1/16" retaining. The aromas are insane, malty rich chocolate, and may be cognac and coffee. A cascade of lacing drops are artistically splayed on the glass. Thick, cognac coffee, boozy.Rich aftertaste in back of throat, alcohol on lips.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a tiny dark brown bubbly head with no retention or lacing. Aroma of light whiskey notes with some sweet notes. Taste is also dominated by whiskey notes with no alcohol being apparent and light dry roasted notes barely noticeable. Body is about average with almost no carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Barrel-aging was really well executed with no apparent alcohol and a creamy warming texture that I really appreciated.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

This little bottle. I had wondered aloud in my house about it for months. It just looks pure evil and boy was it ever. What are these things like 5oz? We split this, me and Rich in two tiny snifters as I did not want a bottle this special to be wasted on myself. Late night crew on 07/04/2010.

The darkest pour I had seen all week. Just pitch black and oily. Thick as a milkshake with a small head of tan that barely covered the top of the glass but did leave some really nice lacing down the sides as we went through the session. I let it linger for a few moments and went in to take a sip, what I find is a wonderful blend of vanilla, oak, hints of roasted malts, burnt and bitter dark chocolate. Just immensely rich. Coffee coming at me now with a long, long and drawn out flavor that is really grabbing at the palate. Vanilla swirls in, tobacco, hints of molasses and really robust chocolate underlying it all. This was the beast of stouts. So dark and rich, foreboding and yet immensely complex. It took nearly 30 minutes before you could really appreciate what we had here. A wonderful, and truly unique take on a barrel aged stout.

Overall dark, evil, enlightening I will take it all in. This was an amazing beer, I only wish I could have had a little more of it.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a very thick oily black with a tan head that hangs around for a long time. Carbonation seems lively.

Smell is of wet wood, cognac (I wonder if I would smell that if I didn't know it was there), some hoppy notes, burnt chocolate.

Taste is of vanilla bean, definitely cognac, dark chocolate, warming alcohol (not harsh at all adds a very pleasant feeling to the beer). Smooth and sweet with a slightly hoppy note to it. Finish is of roasted malts. Mouthfeel is think and oily. Lots of big malty notes.

I'm pretty sure I just became a big fan of this beer. The cognac sweetness and light warming alcohol combined with the dark chocolate and burnt flavors really blend together nicely making a very drinkable RIS. I don't find this one a chore to finish. After a big hardy meal this would be an excellent desert beer. I don't find this to be a big huge overpowering smack in the face RIS, instead it's more subtle, seems well thought out, really allowing you to just sit and enjoy it.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Note: this is not the same as Hel & Verdoemenis, from the brewer this is "Batch 666 was H&V with added woodchips soaked in a 40 year old cognac"
Bought a couple small bottles that were on offer at pré ZBF. .2l bottles.

A very very dark, no head at all

S chocolate, wood, whiskey(cognac i guess)

T this is a very smooth drinking IS, nice chocolate taste, and a warming alcohol cognac taste at the end. Very nice, sort of a digestif version of an IS.

D I wish there was some carbonation in this, but thats ok, it makes it a different drink, almost, like I said, a digestif version of an IS. I dont think I could drink a ton of this, but after a meal .2l is perfect!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last