Dragon's Gold (Gluten Free) | Bard's Tale Beer Company

poor
Dragon's Gold (Gluten Free)Dragon's Gold (Gluten Free)

Bard's Tale Beer Company
Minnesota, United States
bardsbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A gluten free offering.

Added by WesWes on 03-09-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.97/5  rDev +16.5%

Sorghum beer must be a new fad. It seems like I’ve run into it in a number of places lately. This one isn’t outstanding, but it’s drinkable. It pours a crystal clear golden color. The head is initially respectable and white, but quickly and disappointingly falls into complete nothingness. The beer itself has a tart, slightly citric aroma. At first it reminded me of a wheat ale, but with an off-centered and skewed quality (the sorghum?). It’s a unique and somewhat grainy smell. The taste is tangy, grainy, and a bit astringent. It has a husky bitterness that’s present throughout the taste. Although the smell has a faint background of sweetness, the taste is rather dry. High carbonation and medium body. Interesting and drinkable, but I probably wouldn’t try it again.

2.5/5  rDev -2%

Pours a brilliantly clear, full gold color and is topped by a frothy, large bubbled, initially half-finger thick, quickly disappearing, pale off-white colored head. The aroma has a certain beery quality to it, but is also mixed with a sweet spiciness akin to something like cinnamon or something I am not quite sure what. Definitely has an exotic grain character to it; something I would describe as an earthy grain aroma.

The taste is quite light, this must have a very low final gravity, at least it tastes like it. Almost to the point of being thin. The thinness is not helped by a unbalanced sweetness that is just asking for more hop bitterness. There is some bitterness here, it just is not sufficient to balance the sweet grainy quality. Lightly spicy & herbal hop notes are also here, more than in a macro lager perhaps, but not by much. This does a pretty good job of mimicing a malt & adjunct lager, it perhaps has a touch of earthy grain character, which might be out of place, but it is even less that what is in the aroma. I understand the market they are going for here & I applaud the purpose of this beer, but I really wish this had been something like a stout (which would be easy to do by the way). This tastes amazingly bland and crappy just like your favorite macro lager, an interesting concept and hopefully it foretells of interesting things to come.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

Photo of
2.83/5  rDev +11%

12oz. bottle.

Crystal clear, light gold color. Large white head.

Aroma was sweet, almost bubblegum like. Hops had a floral quality. Some type of spice, maybe coriander?

Flavor was not very exciting. I assume the molasses like taste I experienced was from the sorghum. Hops were very mild, and lemon-like in character. A little bit of salt also seemed present.

Body was light and carbonation was medium. Finish was mostly dry.

Drinkable, but nothing I would seek out unless I had a gluten allergy. Something seemed off in the flavor or aftertaste. Not for me.

Poured into a tall pils glass it forms a tight but quickly fading white head. No lace to speak of. Shiney copper body with plenty of carbonation.

This brew has a smell and taste all to its own. Not a compliment in this case. Its super sweet malt profile is like knawing on a block of caramel. This pasty malt bill sits on your tongue and never leaves. Not a hint of hop bitterness but rather an astringent sour flash that attempts to be some balance and instead falls off the beem. There is a whole grain bread feel to this as well which is the best part of the brew but it is so far in the backdrop that its lost on me.

Notes: Yes this is brewed with special ingredients in order to be gluton free. It didn't work this time. For the 1.5 million people that have celiac find another guilty pleasure and leave this be. A contendor for the worst beer of all time. The backbone malt alternative is musky, smelly and sucks. Probably the worst beer bottled and distributed.

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

Anyone who gave this a really low score just didn't get it. This is a beer made for celiacs who are people who are allergic to gluten which is contained in most grains. Making a beer without using wheat, barley, etc is no easy task. Try Ramapo Valley's attempt at a gluten free "beer" before trying this and then see how your rating is. Since I am not a celiac, I would not purchase this beer again (I just picked up a bottle because I wanted to try it), but if I were a celiac, I would be extatic that this beer existed.

Oh and as an aside, read the story of the beers "creation" on the side of the six pack. Ninja's rule.

Appearance
No head, but a nice amber color.

Smell
I have one of the worst senses of smell on the face of the earth, plus my alergies have been tormenting me for weeks. I don't get any bad smells off it though at the very least.

Taste
Very similar to a lot of lagers which is pleasantly surprising. Nothing breathtaking, but well ballanced.

Mouthfeel
A little thin. Can't win em all I guess.

Drinkability
For a beer I was expecting to try a couple sips of just to see what it was like and then toss it, I actually finished the entire beer. I could actually see myself drinking a six pack of this and considering the obstacles it has to overcome, that's pretty impressive.

2.13/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a light rust color with a thick, wet, white head that doesn't last and tons of carbonation bubbles attaching themselves to the walls of my pint glass. Nose is malt and adjunct smells. I can only guess this gluten free brew is named for the mid '80s computer game of the same name, that provided me with hours of frustration..

At first this tastes okay, with vague malt but that's followed by a nasty streak of astringency and it in turn by nasty, roof of the mouth sweetness, like rancid molassses.. Uncool. Mouthfeel doesn't help much. Pretty close to a drain pour. This one needs some wizard magic, fast.

2.13/5  rDev -16.5%

poured with almost no head, amber color grainy over carbonated taste. it tasted like drinking alka-seltzer to me i'm not used to drinking that type of beer. i'm not trying to put it down its just not my type of beer. i would rather have a o-douls or a clausthaler.

2.56/5  rDev +0.4%

Its very possible I would have never tried gluten free beer let alone this beer with out my girlfriend loving beer but being allergic to gluten (I'm still hoping its will pass). Pours a clear thin golden amber with little to no carbonation. The head is thin and is dissipating fast leaving no lacing. Smells of hay, cinnamon, lager yeast, minimal spice and maybe a hint of orange peel or apple, but only if you look really hard. Taste is sort of flat thin and the spice and fruit presents are small, but over powered by the annoying flatness. This is not a bad beer, how ever if my girlfriend wasn't allergic to gluten I would never drink it. We will continue to look for better alternatives.

2.4/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

my first gluten free beer. golden brown, fizzy with a weak head. looks ok. smells very sweet and caramel like...not particularly inviting odor, or at least not really beer-like. Taste is sweet and syrupy...and this sweet malt flavor is the most noticeable flavor. not too bad at first but it gets to be like you're drinking a flat soda because of the sweetness. thin mouthfeel...not overly drinkable because of the flat soda thing. im glad im not gluten intolerant...i hope i stay that way.

3.13/5  rDev +22.7%

I expected a lot more from this one, given its name. Somehow using dragon in the name makes me think it's big and strong. Oh well. This one pours a very clear yellow color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is fairly non-existant except for some slight fruit notes. The flavor has a hint of fruit but is mostly comprised of soft bittering hops. There's really not a lot going on in this beer, but it is fairly clean. The body is light and the drinkability is ok.

3.26/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice clear light orange color with a decent white head that subsides pretty quickly.

The aroma is mild, slightly nutty, with a touch of caramel.

The taste is similar to normal American mass market beers, but with a nuttier flavor and hints of caramel and apples. There is also a bit of hops bitterness at the finish that balances it out fairly well. Interesting. There is a bit of an odd "soapy" taste, but it isn't pronounced enough to be a real problem.

Light/medium body, easy to drink. Altogether, a bit more flavor than typical mass market lagers but close enough. Definitely worth a try if you can't do the regular stuff because of the gluten, but even if that's not your issue, it's not bad.

2.92/5  rDev +14.5%

Very, very interesting. Like the experiment and the quality, just not a beer I will drink often. Expecting a darker, thicker beer, the sorgum gives a very malty, nutty edge without getting too heavy or too sweet. A light brown color (nut brown ale) with lacking carbonation and retention. The sweetness reminds me of good ole barley malt with a touch of chocolate malt, peat, and caramel. Quite clean and pure. Not overly complex or simplified. A better beer than I was expecting. Something between a Nut Brown Ale and a Scottish Ale. The flavors of caramel and syrup come off a bit artificial, but pleasant nevertheless. Interesting.

1.64/5  rDev -35.7%

Appearance: Medium Gold Color. Slightly hazed, with a little bit of carbonation making it’s way to the surface.

Smell: Sour cooked veggies, light graininess.

Taste: I am glad I am not a celiac. Taste is sour and pretty unpleasant, slightly metallic, leaving an acidic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not very well carbonated, body is pretty thin

Drinkability: Never again, don’t get it unless you truly need to.

1.62/5  rDev -36.5%

It says so on the bottle, “a gluten free beer.” Or maybe a gluten for punishment beer. The beer poured out a very frothy and over carbonated beer as it boiled over out of the bottle when opened. The clear golden color with large bubbles for carbonation which did not last though the whole tasting and very limited lace.

The smell was most soapy with no malt or even hop notes at all. Some lighter fruity notes with a sweet pear aroma.

The taste is similar with a pear flavor and no real malt nor hop flavor. Really the taste is limited. Not really watered down but limited in taste. Some lighter sorghum flavor is noticeable as advertised. But limited taste in other areas just leaves a paste aftertaste.

The body is light and the carbonation is high. Overall this is something that I would have rather skipped.

1.21/5  rDev -52.5%

First of all I am going to jump on my soap box for this one. A phrase that strikes a bit of irony with this beer. Having grown up on a farm, and still maintaining an active role in agriculture I have had the displeasure of harvesting and handling Milo, commonly refered to as sorghum. The smell of this beer is extremely heavy and organic. The smell is exactly that of milo coming out of an auger. I was literally scared to taste this beer at this point so maybe my scores are skewed a little.

The irony I refered to is that of "soap". I opened this one and tried to pour it, only to get a glass full of white billowing foam. Not head foam, but foam like calgon mixed with seltzer on steroids. It took me 10 minutes to pour a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass to avoid having my own mini foam party in my living room. The color is golden with a hazy appearance. The smell, as I previously stated is purly grainy, all milo. The taste is horrible, it is smooth at first and then a putred bitter, cough syrup taste hits the back of your tongue and throat and stays there forever. Like dimatap with carbonation. The moutfeel is creamy but over carbonated. DO NOT TRY...this is the worst I have had.

3.22/5  rDev +26.3%

"The world's first craft brewed sorghum malt beer." Hooray for that!
Seriously, my heart goes out to the gluten-intolerants and their needs.

Pours a crisp, golden color, with no head at all.

Aroma is largely vacant, with faint apple/pear hints, some honey, a light, delicate fruit factor. Not bad, just different.

Glides onto the palate with ease, and rides out just as handily. Leaves little impression of flavor. Citrusy, smooth and clean.
It's hard to knock this brew, for it does what it does, is what it is, doesn't try to be anything else, and performs an important function.

Light in body, with a crisp, dry mouthfeel. Faint finish, but, redeemably excellent drinkability. Lacks some in character, but, see last sentence of previous paragraph. It's beer, you drink it, and you won't get sick and die, if you're one of them folks.
So, hooray for that!

3.23/5  rDev +26.7%

Pours a healthy golden color with a finger head that falls to a light coating over top of the brew. The nose is very fruity. I get a nice orangey sweetness and some corn sweetness. It is definately more aromatic than a macro. The flavor is more hoppy, with a light to moderate bitterness and a light sweetness. Definately an interesting flavor. The feel is light to moderate with a nice healthy carbonation. Overall, not a bad beer. I don't think that I will have it again, but its nice to have an option for those with the gluten issues.

3.03/5  rDev +18.8%

Dragon's Gold is surprisingly beer-like given that it's brewed from only Sorghum (a grain which is also used by Guinness in Africa) and buckwheat.

It pours a crystal-clear, light straw-gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white foam that holds fairly well before dropping; maintains a thin surface covering; and leaves some wide swaths of sticky lace at the outset of the glass.

The nose is clean, and delivers a pleasant fruitiness (that probably comes from the buckwheat, and not the yeast... it is a lager, right?).

It's light-medium bodied and crisp with a standard carbonation.

The flavor is well-balanced with a lightly sweet and delicately fruity maltiness that's balanced by a firm bitterness; and laced with some floral hops. It finishes quite dry, however, with a bitterness that lingers.

For beer loving Celiacs this makes a great alternative to wine.

2.82/5  rDev +10.6%

I gave this beer a 2 on appearance, because it exploded on me. It was sitting in my fridge for about a week and had not been disturbed so it had to be the bottle. Once it settled down in the two glass I had to pour it into it was a very fine light lager color. It had a chunky white head. Smelled of some weird funk and grain. I could taste no hops and it was mostly grainy flavor and some funk. If you can't have a regular beer this would do I guess. Better than Bud but thats not saying much.

3.7/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A gluten free beer eh,brewed by Flying Bison eh,I had to try it.Smells interesting very buttery with some medicinal-like qualities with a little lingering spiciness in there as well.Nicely balanced pretty darn hoppy for a macro-like lager with an odd graininess must be the sorghum odd but not in a total bad way.Very refreshing and different a nice change of pace here,a nice find.

3.6/5  rDev +41.2%

Over 1.5 million people in the U.S. suffer from Celiac Diease, an affliction which gives them an intolerance to gluten and therefore means no beer. I had never heard of the disease until today, and I wouldn't have known about it were it not for the info provided on the Bard's Tale website, which is a beer company dedicated to making gluten-free beers. I just bought it because it was in a cool bottle. The beer uses a type of gluten-free malt called sorghum, and I suppose it should really be in a class by itself, but as I have no real guides as to what style it's supposed to be I'll just call it an american lager.

Beers pours into a pilsner glass Duvel golden and champagne bubbly with an uncontrolable head. Nice.

Smells like a strange, complex malt. Very spicy and bitter. Once again, nice.

Tastes like a cross between good Czech pilsnerv and a dry witbier. Very, very spicy, lots of cloves and nutmeg, moving into a medicine flavor, and ending on a slightly sour note. Leaves a not-too-pleasant medicine taste in my mouth. Still, it tastes okay.

AllI can say is that if you're one of the unfortuante 1.5 million who cannot enjoy regular beer, I'm sorry--but at least you have this totally decent brew. For the rest of us, it's just kind of an exspensive novelty.

3.94/5  rDev +54.5%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle with ingredients listed as water, sorgum, buckwheat, hops, and yeast. No freshness info to be found.

Appearance: Pours gold with just a hint of red, and a thin head that fades relatively quickly, but leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell: Aroma is spicy with lots of hops coming through. Certainly not an average beer aroma, but it is appealing.

Taste: Starts off fairly hoppy, and then gets sweeter in the middle. The sorghum and buckwheat provide just enough sweetness to balance the hops well. Finish is slightly fruity and bitter. Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall impression: First this should be listed under Bard's Tale Beer, instead of Flying Bison, and probably should be listed as a specialty beer instead of an adjunct lager. My understanding is that Bard's Tale has their own brewer who uses the facilities at Flying Bison. My fiancee is a celiac, so we were excited to hear about this beer. We tried Ramapo Valley's gluten free offering, and were less than impressed. This one is leaps and bounds better. Even as a non-celiac this was an interesting beer that I would recommend to people looking to try something new and interesting.

4.01/5  rDev +57.3%

12 oz "Bard's Tale...Dragon's Gold" obtained from John's Grocery in Feb 2005 and consumed that same evening. Poured a faint white head that quickly settled to a ring around the glass. A couple strems of bubbles raced through the crystal clear light dull-yellow liquid. Not quite a light straw color, more like paper grocery bag color, but a few shades lighter. Smells earthy and musty with a bit of tangy hop. Tastes quite hoppy to start that's chased by a dark rich malty with wins out about halfway through. It leaves a sugary rounded flavor in my mouth afterwards. Interesting, it goes from bitter hoppy start to a kind of sweet mushroomy (in a good way, mind you) that changes into a floral ending. This is definitely a complex beer. The flavors stick as this beer is md to md-tick bodied and hangs on the tongue. Nioce job. I was worried when I saw how light the color was and the streams of carbonation that I'd get a weak acrid experience. Instead the later sweet balances the initial hop umph well, ending sweet again, if somewhat dry. This is the first gluten free beer I've ever seen and I found it quite enjoyable. If the distribution were wider, celiacs the world over would be forced to stop complaining about the lack of a gluten-free beer product.

4.07/5  rDev +59.6%

The beer pours a reddish pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a spicey, almost cidery scent with a fruity aroma. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth clean flavor that has that fruity aftertaste. This is a gluten free beer made with sorghum malts. It has a different look and taste, but I like it. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is an outstanding lager. It has great taste and aroma; a good drinker. Flying Bison brews this for a company out of MO named Bard's Tale Beer Company. I couldn't find much info on it though.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last