Bard's Gold | Bard's Tale Beer Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BEERchitect on 01-28-2009

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

A) Lots of carbonation-very little foam, no lacing. Reminds me a little of champagne
S) not a lot of aroma-something a little sharp and crisp
T) Well, it would be great if you want to drink a bottle of blackstrap sorghum molasses. No lie there. When I drank this I was thinking it needed to go on cornpone.
M) Thin
D) Drank a third of it and could not finish.

1.52/5  rDev -40.2%

This is a pale amber color, fizzy...in that, you can actually hear it fizzing like soda.(the first red flag!) The head is thin to begin with and then it's just gone.

This has a strange sweet aroma much like pure malt before it goes in the wort, the rest is really hard to detect, but it's not beer related.

Well, i kept an open mind right up until the first sip, but my palate is not as nice. There is a malty flavor, but it's not a good one. It's hard to nail down any specific flavor's, which is a big problem. This folks, is simply not a beer to my palate.

DA....are you kidding?

1.54/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Malt - bomb of no substance

1.59/5  rDev -37.4%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for gifting this one. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a very short head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a bit of a collar with some big bubbles. The nose is pretty off-putting and smells mostly of rice with a bit of staleness. Flavor is full of adjunct character. Yuck. Light body and crisp carbonation. Dry, off-putting finish. Why do I use "off-putting" so much? That sums up this "beer." Why would you create a gluten-free beer and emphasize the gluten-free part? Maybe some hop or yeast character. Yuck. Sick. Boo.

1.73/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance - Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip glass (I feel like I have now tainted my tulip glass). Yellow, small tint of copper.

Smell - sweet, surghom sugar.

Taste - no flavor whatsoever. Aftertaste of sorghum.

Mouthfeel - so-so.

Overall - I would only recommend this beer to my gravest enemies.

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.84/5  rDev -27.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped PD 12/15/2010.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Two finger loose white head with decent to good stick and decent retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Dark fruit. Almost smells like a Belgian abbey ale. Weird.

Taste - Almost flavorless. Tastes like burning plastic. I do not wish this on another human being.

Mouthfeel - Solvent. Astringent. Caustic.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the single worst beer I've ever had.

1.92/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

1.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for sharing this with me, I think.

Beer is headless, almost no carbonation, yellow, clear, no lacing, doesn't even really look like beer.

Aroma is vegetal and sweet with this kind of harsh boiled chlorophyll sort of aroma...not inviting.

I don't just want to say the beer was bad, because it was, I have specific objections to it. Things like, the finish was really solventy, almost acetone, the forward was oddly cloyingly sweet, the beer is a train wreck. You can't make a decent beer without good grains, if you can't drink beer, try Saki.

2.02/5  rDev -20.5%

The color is nice, there isn't much head, but the smell isn't giving me a lot of promise. The flavor is...not especially pleasant. I can't even figure out how to describe it. I knew not to expect anything like other light amber ales, but all I am getting is what I assume is the sorghum. No other kind of hops or nuances.

I really wanted to like this beer, but I just don't. I think making an IPA out of this and masking the flavor the malt would be a good direction. I don't think it's badly brewed, I just think I don't dig on sorghum. Unfortunate.

2.02/5  rDev -20.5%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

2.07/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a honey golden amber hue with a fine bright white head billowing nicely with the initial pour, however head retention isn't this beer's strong suit. Aroma smells like a booze ridden brandy or something higher in alcohol, which doesn't make sense at all but that's what I'm getting out of this beer. A slightly sour tobacco note with some fruity highlights to it maybe ripened apple and cherry. Flavor is extraordinarily horrid, tastes like cough syrup drizzled with sweet maple sugar. Not the worst liquid I've ever drank but as far as beer goes this fuckin' sucks, stick to the British specialty beers or good old Redbridge from AB if you wanna cure your Celiac's disease. I could finish it but there's just nothing keeping me going toward the finish line. It would be self abuse otherwise the way this one hits the palate with faded carbonation makes the bad things just remain stagnant on my palate. Overall I think I expressed how I feel about this beer, just don't go there unless it's a health issue with no other options for something remotely beery.

2.15/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

I quit smoking a few years ago and apparently that staves off celiac disease. Harsh irony!

Anyway I have cut any and all kinds of precious wheat creations like, say, bread, but not beer, god no. Thought I'd try an experiment to see what happened with a GF beer.

If this is all I get: fail. I picture that guy in the Matrix, wanting to think that daily mush is a steak. Well, it ain't; no blue pill proffered.

Specifics:

No head or gone to nada before I noticed. Smells beery, in a lager kind of way. Looks like a lager. But tastes like something new, however not, importantly, beer. Almost cider I suppose, but I like cider. Not cider either. Sorghum "beer" is its own thing.

There is an aftertaste, which I guess is the sorghum. Or rather, It's like an after-sweetness, and also this slippery after-mouthfeel--like you went to the wrong sushi bar and maybe it's time to get worried.

If my stomach gets so fouled and this is all I can handle? Switching to wine and booze. Thanks for trying though Bard's, hopefully you perfect it. Try some more! Run a kickstarter, I'll kick in.

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

pours a clear amber with a thin white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, malt, some spice, caramel, and roasted nuts.

taste of malt, caramel, slightly metallic, and a funky aftertaste.

strange brew but better than dragons gold from what i remember.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company