Bard's Gold | Bard's Tale Beer Company

bardsbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BEERchitect on 01-28-2009

2.28/5  rDev -10.2%

I actually drank this at work. So I poured it into a solo cup. it was only about an hour ago so im just going from memory.

A-Sort of an orange/red. basically no head. again this was in a red solo cup so i couldnt see it well.

S-a little different. never smelled a beer like this. but smelled like something that had potential.

T-wow...i honestly cant describe this. i guess it was the sorghum. not really sure. not flavors I am used to tasting here. it really just didnt taste much like beer. very powerful finish. not sure what it was, i guess hops. but didnt really taste hoppy.

MF-not much that i remember. not a very good aftertaste though.

O-I wont be trying this again. If you cant drink regular beer because of gluten problems then stick with another type of alcohol. Im not sure how other gluten free beers are but this was wasn't something I can see many people enjoying. The look and smell was the best part.

2.36/5  rDev -7.1%

2.4/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is amber brown with about a finger of white head. No retention no lace.

The aroma is sweet and grassy. Like caramel coated grass clippings. I can't really pin point what I'm getting from this beer. Rather fruity though.

The flavor has a sharp gritty bitter bite. It's like sour malt with burnt caramel corn. Not something I really look for in my beers taste.

Medium to light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a unique beer for sure. I'm so glad I don't have food alergies that would require me to drink this.

2.43/5  rDev -4.3%

Clear amber colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells sweet and grainy with a strange scent that must be the sorghum. Smell of mixed tobacco and tea. Smells strange.

Starts out sweet and grainy with a grain husk flavor and a fair amount of bitterness. Slight caramel flavor and some astringency. This tastes a little weird.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability isn't so great. For sorghum beer it isn't bad. For beer though this doesn't raise to the level of Budweiser.

2.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.48/5  rDev -2.4%

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a palatable below average beer. I wouldn't chuck it I wouldn't buy it but if you but it in my hands I would raise it to my lips on instinct

A) to dark for an american style lager this is thanks to the sorghum base that makes up this drink

S) I'm holding to my nose as I type this and all I can say is... theres not a drop of art in this glass

T) bland

M) thin

O) this beer is not bad at all... just... effectively boring

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle from Harvest Market to fill the mix a six I was putting together.
Fairly clear light golden head with a tightly bubbled small white head that dissipates rather quickly. Aromas of sour apple and light sugar. Little to no hop aroma. The flavor is sweet with a bit of a tart fruit thing going on with bit of pomme fruit and light sugar. Light, crisp, bubbly. Not really what I would call beer, but it didn't really suck either.

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light gold to straw color. A finger of fizzy head which dissipated very quickly.

Smell: mild; sweet and grainy. There's an almost chalky aroma here; definitely not your traditional barley beer.

Taste: bizarrely enough, the taste I get is one of plastic. There are some hops and an interesting grain taste in there, but mostly I get a stale-water-stored-in-a-plastic-tub taste.

Mouthfeel: a light body with a medium-to-heavy level of carbonation.

Drinkability: between the flavor, smell and high carbonation, this is a hard one to force down.

I love the idea of this beer: a good beer in this vein could be great for someone with celiac disease or another barley or wheat allergy. This beer, however, is not it. If my dietary restrictions limited me to this or no beer, I'll have a glass of water or a diet coke.

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

Came out of the bottle a cloudy orange with no head at all.

This beer had a very faint sweet smell which must be the sorghum.

Doesn't taste terrible has a sweet bitter taste.

Felt pretty thin in the mouth will a little carbonation.

Overall as a gluten free beer this isn't too bad, but compared to it's gluten enriched rivals it fails to inspire.

2.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, time to try this most venerable of gluten-free beers available in Alberta.

This beer pours a clear, medium tinted golden amber colour, with a half finger of loud bubbly, and mostly fizzy dirty white head, which disappears in a near instant, leaving neither lace nor impression on this reporter.

It smells of semi-sweet, vegetal malt, with an alien earthiness that must be the sorghum, there, English, white grape juice, stale applesauce, and a wet cardboard essence right where one might be expecting something, oh, I dunno, hoppy? The taste is more or less just an extension in the same odd graininess - quite sweet, still, and 'malty', and well, like brown sugar, overripe mixed grapes, free-radical butter, mild plastic band-aid covers, and bitter tea leaves, is the best I can come up with.

The carbonation is average, and a tad prickly, even, at times, the body a somewhat agreeable medium weight, and as smooth as the tugging cloyingness will allow. It finishes with a lingering thin molasses/reduced brown sugar sweetness, buffered somewhat by that unfamiliar earthy, strangely astringent character from the earlier acts.

While displaying more beer-adjacent characteristics than practically all the other barley and wheat-free beers I've thus far subjected my gluten-loving and -tolerant self to, I can't get over the weird edge that the sole use of sorghum (I assume) imparts here, in its starring role. A good try, and probably acceptable with a strong dose of cognitive dissonance, but not for me, not for me.

2.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer is slightly hazy and appears a light orange color. The aroma offers some sweet, malty fruit, with a hint of candied oranges. Light toffee in the flavor, with some biscuit malt in the taste as well. Sweet fruit is present throughout. Light to medium in body, with moderately low carbonation. A decent choice for those who must have gluten free beer, though not my cup of tea.

2.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Telegraph Brewing shaker glass. A minimal amount of head, less than 1/2 a finger which dies almost immediately. No lacing. A pretty decent generic amber color. Lot's of bubbles rising to the top, fizzy yellow beer anyone? Getting a crisp sort a sweet malt on the nose. For lack of a better description, smells like a mellow cheap blended Scotch. Some funky grain flavors going on. Very grainy, cereal, and once again, tastes like watery bad fizzy Scotch. Mouthfeel isn't bad. A nice crispness, kind of like sparkling wine. Finishes very dry. This review does NOT sound good, but for a gluten free beer, it sure beats the hell out of Redbridge and the like. Glad I'm not allergic to barley! Really hard to choke down a whole bottle. Took almost an hour.

2.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.66/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a golden color with what appears to be ample carbonation. There's no head on this and it looks oddly like ginger ale.

Aroma is a bit spicy/sweet with sorghum as the main ingredient and it's well represented in the nose. Not much else.

Taste is sweet/sour with a ginger ale-like feel to it. Not very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is strange and unpleasant but just a tad bit tolerable. I'm not used to the style.

Not really something I'd drink ever again. I understand the reason for its' existence but I think Redbridge is more tolerable for this style.

2.67/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company