Bard's Gold | Bard's Tale Beer Company

bardsbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BEERchitect on 01-28-2009

3.02/5  rDev +18.9%

Sampled last night on 7/16/15. From the Bard's Tale Beer Company in Utica, New York. Wasn't this brewed in Minnesota at one time? Comes in a 12 ounce bottle and is "Gluten-Free". Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a glass-handled stein.

Brew pours a golden-honey in color with a thin white head. Actually some 'ring-like' lacing was seen when sipped that surprised me since the head was so small. Aroma is of some grains with a light hint of sorghum. Pretty much is said for the taste. Slightly dry and sweet finish. Has a different taste but wasn't that bad. Lighter-bodied with good carbonation.

2.72/5  rDev +7.1%

The head slightly off-white and crests at close to a finger, basic looking with little retention, no lacing. Metallic orange to pumpkin in color, crystal clear and completely transparent. The nose shows molasses, brown sugar and then apple, pear fruit, lemon juice and honey glazed bread, the hops versus malts dichotomy seems besides the point here. Medium-bodied, decent degree of carbonation, the first thing you think is that it tastes like a hard cider with a more grainy texture. Pear, green apple, white grape fruit, starts to turn bitter once it hits the back of your throat. Vaguest of grain, oats aspect, hard to casually understand why this would be grouped as a beer. That said, not disgusting or anything. (Gluten Free)

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev +28%

2.67/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.4/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is amber brown with about a finger of white head. No retention no lace.

The aroma is sweet and grassy. Like caramel coated grass clippings. I can't really pin point what I'm getting from this beer. Rather fruity though.

The flavor has a sharp gritty bitter bite. It's like sour malt with burnt caramel corn. Not something I really look for in my beers taste.

Medium to light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is a unique beer for sure. I'm so glad I don't have food alergies that would require me to drink this.

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%

2.93/5  rDev +15.4%

A- Very clear body with an amber color and a small, filmy head

S- The smell is mostly musky and sweet. Caramel and apricot come to mind

T- The flavor is hardly detectable but is dominantly sweet with a mix of fruit flavors and hard candy

M- A bit fizzy and medium bodied

D- Fine enough to drink as beer but I certainly won't be buying another 6-pack for $9.36

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

Came out of the bottle a cloudy orange with no head at all.

This beer had a very faint sweet smell which must be the sorghum.

Doesn't taste terrible has a sweet bitter taste.

Felt pretty thin in the mouth will a little carbonation.

Overall as a gluten free beer this isn't too bad, but compared to it's gluten enriched rivals it fails to inspire.

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

pours a clear amber with a thin white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, malt, some spice, caramel, and roasted nuts.

taste of malt, caramel, slightly metallic, and a funky aftertaste.

strange brew but better than dragons gold from what i remember.

2.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.65/5  rDev +43.7%

A) Honey colored. Transparent. Active carbonation. Pours with a thin head that settles out to the edge of the glass in a creamy lacing.
S) Bold molasses and brown sugar aroma with just a bit of anise.
T) Mild anise flavor with a slight brown sugar undertone.
M) Creamy. A light to medium body.
D) A decent brew. A good combination of ingredients.

1.54/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Malt - bomb of no substance

3.15/5  rDev +24%

Color is a clear yellow with a bubbly white head, like Pepsi. Looks almost exactly like ginger ale, including bubbles on the inside of the glass. Weird.

The smell is an ultra-sweet, sugary malt, moreso than even an English ale. It even smells like ginger ale and a white wine. Unusual, but not "bad."

The tate is a different sugary sweet taste, like a white wine, combined with sweet brown-sugary English malts. I actually don't hate it. Butterscotch and toffee in the aftertaste.

The feel is smooth and buttery. A nice, silky texture. It's like a malty, sugary white wine all the way around. For a sorghum beer it's actually really drinkable. I'd take it over a Bud.

4.08/5  rDev +60.6%

Bard's Gold brewed by Bard's Tale Beer Company, with an ABV of 4.60% This brew brew pours out a nice brown color with a small white head. The head to this brew is small, and goes away fast. I really like the color of this brew . The smell of Bard's Gold, is rich with sweetness. You pick up on roasted grians and malts. There is also a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. The smell of this brew is really inviting. Now for the taste, it is nice with flavors and sweetness. There are mild notes of grins and malts. I really like how smooth this brew goes down. Now , Bard's Gold , has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. I like how this brew ends with the sweetness. This is a fine drinking brew. The mouthfeel of Bard's Gold is rich, clean, smooth and refreshing. I can't get over how smooth this brew is. Overall I'm going Bard's Gold a 4 out of 5. I thought this brew would be a bit more bolder, however it is a nice drinking brew. I would buy this brew again. Bard's Tale Beer Company, did a nice job with this one.

2.02/5  rDev -20.5%

Gifted by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a light gold color w/ a small off white head. This brew leaves a small amount of lacing on my snifter glass. Pretty clear in appearance- I can see through to the other side very easily. The nose on this makes me wince a little bit- it's like no other beer I've had... I mainly get some rice, sorghum, and sugar sweetness in the nose. It's not good. The taste follows suit, although a touch better. There's a mild hops aftertaste that kind of cleanses the sugar out of your mouth. It's pretty bad, but not the worst thing I've had. The feel is light, w/ good carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm glad I got to try a Sorghum beer, but I think I'll stick to the regular stuff from here on out. Cheers.

1.75/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.88/5  rDev +13.4%

3.38/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A friend brought a sixer of this to the beach, not realizing it was a sorghum brew. Not wanting to buy it myself, I was happy to sample his. However, I'm surprised at the beer - it's, well, good.

Poured in to a somewhat dirty/scratched glass, but the beer is a lovely amber/copper color, and the surface of the glass ensured an active, bubbly pour. The tiny bubbles graced the top of the bear with a snow white foam, looking almost like steamed milk.

The aroma is appropriately malty, though smelling more of silage than barley. There's no apparent hop aroma.

The taste is reminiscent of an adjunct lager, and I had trouble not thinking of a slightly warm can of Ranier drank on the front porch in late May. The beer has a clean profile and leaves a slightly tart taste on the palate, but still very much a beer.

I'm impressed. I'll have to get some for my celiac grandpa.

Bard's Gold from Bard's Tale Beer Company