Seeing Double IPA | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2005

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a dense caramel brown…I can see tons of bubbles bubbling up in the middle…head is off white and a solid thin layer…it’s like a cloud up there…thins out somewhat quickly to a whispy layer…(3.5/5)

Smell: Piney hops and a musky yeast aroma right off the bat…malts are caramel and earthy…there’s a real earthiness to this brew with a mild peppery bite the deeper I inhale…also picking up a subtle sweetness…fairly straight forward…(3.25/5)

Taste: Piney, earthiness and a noticeable yeast flavor up front…much like the nose…malts are very much apart of the overall makeup, I’m getting earthy, caramel, lightly sweet malts fully balancing out the flavor…a light citrus hops bitterness shows in the third phase…it’s got a musky, organic, mildly peppery quality happening here…it’s got a mild robustness…(3.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tons of carbonation…it fluffs up bringing tons of creamy, robust hops (earthy, piney, mild citrus) to the palate followed by tons of earthy, caramel malts…very heavy on the palate…mildly chewy…earthy, piney bitterness lingers in the after taste…(3.75/5)

Overall: This is a good brew, but it’s earthy tones and musky taste dominate too much for my liking…it’s very drinkable, but nothing I would place near the upper tier of this class…for the higher ABV that Seeing Double packs, I don’t feel it yet…this brew isn’t bad, but it’s not my favorite…maybe I expect more citrus hops from double IPA’s, but the earthy, musky flavor thing is not typically my bag…eh…(3.25/5)

www.brewreport.blogspot.com

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to eli323232.

22oz. Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-1/2 finger, khaki head is quite dense. Very hazy, amber-orange body. Pretty good head retention and stick. Looks quite viscus as it runs back down the side of the glass after a sip. Light carbonation and a kiss of sediment.

S- lots of citrus rind and grapefruit pulp. Underlying sugary-sweet and slightly grainy malts, sugared cereal perhaps. A little warmth and I get some tobacco and leather. Nice straddle between double IPA and barleywine.

T- Nicely balanced. Hops are complex, ranging from citrus, peppery spice, and tobacco. Quite organic really. Malts are a little grainy and fairly sweet. Hops are big, but the malts certainly hold their own. I'm a sucker for some semblance balance in an IPA, and this fits the bill.

M- Full bodied. Lightish carbonation. Bit of a peppery bite. ABV is fairly subtle, but there. Dry finish.

O- A nice sipper. Maybe even better suited for a cooler evening and an accompanying good book. Glad I was able to try it. Unsure of pricing point and availability. Could see myself buying this one, given the opportunity.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to brentk56

Hazy orange/amber. fair amount of particulates. Round off white head. Some lacing.

It smells sweet and a little musty. Some yeast, some floral hops. caramel and bread. maybe some orange?

The taste is hard to pin down. It kind of comes in waves: some of which I like, some of which I am less moved by. Starts off with a sweet caramel/sweet orange, that gives way to more of a zesty orange and some grass. The sweet malts run through the background of all of it, keeping it together. There's a musty haybale quality that I like better in a blonde than in a beer like this for whatever reason.

Early on I was getting some musty and some yeasty notes which I am not noticing now as I continue to drink. The bitterness is not overly domineering, but certainly present. My ratings have fluctuated wildly as I've drank this. I was initially put off by the musky elements I was getting coupled with an earthy grassiness, but those have become less prevalent as I've drank, and the beer has become more appealing as I've drank. My final impression is that it is a pretty good DIPA, well balanced with a solid body. I like it more the more of it I drink, though the musty straw characteristic which I've really enjoyed in other brews just doesn't do it for me here.

edit: This is one where I feel like it is better than the composite score suggests, but I can't bring myself to change any of the categories as I feel that they are scored accurately. As I've experienced with certain other beers, it's better than it's low points suggest, but not as good as the promises bestowed by its strengths. Ultimately, however, it is definitely worth trying. I'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be the first thing I reached for.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Glenn for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a TBBC pint glass.

A: Deep gold with orange highlights. Very hazy with lots of hop floaters in suspension. Less than a finger's worth of white head, and fairly low visible carbonation.

S: Citrus (orange) hops, caramel bready sweet malt, and a bit of dank and resin hops underneath.

T: Sweet malts with some caramel character, a soft citrus, resin, and grassy dank hops...all without being particularly bitter.

M: Heavy body for style, a sticky mouthfeel, moderate alcohol presence. Fairly low carbonation sensation.

O: This wasn't bad, but it completely fails to stand out from the pack. The hop floaters don't affect taste, but they don't look pretty. There was too much caramel malts for my preference, and hop flavors got a little muddled. All that being said, it was still enjoyable, and I wouldn't hesitate to drink another if it was offered.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%