Hoppyum IPA | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

foothillsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by oberon on 12-29-2005

Ratings: 1,467 |  Reviews: 353

From 07/20/11 notes. Thanks to BigSexy410 for bringing this back from the BA SC release and sharing it. I don't think I tried this the one time I was down at Foothills, so was glad to see it. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bottled on 07/10/11, so crazy fresh.

a - Pours a cloudy yellow orange color with one inch of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident. Light lacing left on the glass and a little head stays throughout drinking it.

s - Smells of pine hops, citrus hops, fruit, and light floral notes. A ton of pine and citrus in the nose, definitely seems hopped up and fresh.

t - Taste follows the nose, with a ton of pine and citrus hops. Light fruity malts and floral/earthy notes, and some moderate bitterness in the taste. Pretty nice.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Moderate bitterness in the mouth, but overall pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this is a pretty good IPA. Definitely a ton of pine hops to it, but not a lot of bitterness thanks to the relatively low ABV, which I appreciated. Pretty easy to drink and felt like I could have drank the whole bomber. Apparently they were selling these for $5 at the brewery and if I saw this on the shelf for $8-9 I'd certainly pick it up again.

I had this on tap at the brewpub during Sexual Chocolate weekend 2011.

A: Fairly clear, gold/amber color, with about a finger or so head that stayed a waning froth throughout the session.

S: Citrus notes that were not overpowering in any way. On second thought, I wish they were more powerful. I smelled a good bit of doughiness in the brew as well that was almost on equal footing with the hops.

T: Yep.... the bready quality was alive and kicking! However, I didn't find this entirely unpleasant and thought it actually gave the brew its character. All the usual IPA suspects were there: grapefruit, orange, etc. The sweet elements did not dominate which was a good thing.

M: Thick enough without being syrupy and the carbonation was nice and prickly.

D: Very drinkable.... for the average hophead.... almost too! It was almost as if this was toned down somewhat to appeal to the greater masses. If I had tried this without knowing the style, I would have called it a Pale Ale. Still, this was a good beer.

Hoppyum IPA from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub