Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Ratings: 1,360 |  Reviews: 463

4.96/5  rDev +20.1%

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Draft pour into a snifter at Revolution Pizza in Charlotte

A - Black as night with a nice tan head that sticks around as long as the glass isn't empty.

S - Smells like roasted barley, a hint of coffee and ... dark chocolate!

T - Huge roasted malt flavors at first with loads of dark chocolate flavor at the end. Full of flavor from start to finish. Reminds me a lot of eating a piece of dark chocolate. The alcohol flavors are covered up real well and I love that about it.

M - Really smooth drinking beer. Medium to heavy body.

D - I really love this beer. The chocolate flavor is very pronounced, you can't taste the booze and it is easy to drink for such a bit stout. Easily the best dark beer I've ever had.

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

The label alone on this bottle got me to about 73 percent. Soupedup brought over some little city pepperoni pizza for dinner. I figured this would be a proper choice for desert. I waited a little while after the pizza and had a bunch of water.

Bottle 953/1000. 2009 Batch. Shout out to Evan1023 for hooking me up with this bottle and introducing me to Sally's Pizza. Also Props to Zapps for making the New Haven trip with me. One last Pimp out to Larsonstyle for giving me an extra bottle of KTG so I could trade for this... thank God for my good ole Coors light drinking buddy.

I feel like I'm gazing into the black hole. Next to KTG this is the darkest stout I've had to date. The head and lacing look like Nesquick.

The aroma isn't as chocolaty as I would have imagined. Coffee is definitely the front runner. The chocolate is more towards the background. Fruit and spices are somewhere in the middle. A very pleasant surprise.

The name is a bit deceiving. As deciphered in the aroma the chocolate isn't that big. I was expecting a Rogue Chocolate Stout like chocolate presence. Not the case at all. The coffee was up front with the chocolate in the background. Although subtle, I could really taste the rich fudge. I poured into a chalice and my second glass was closer to room temp. The chocolate started jumping out at me even more and spices started to make an appearance. My first beer from Foothills and WOW. My second favorite stout under KTG. Still a perfect 5 for taste. As a thick subtle chocolate Russian Imperial Stout... I can't imagine it getting any better.

This beer isn't smooth... It's Smoooth. I feel like I'm in bed with the woman on the label when I'm drinking it. Well balanced, rich, and creamy. Fills my palate. It felt like the entire cast of the soul train was dancing the night away inside my mouth. Top notch. It took willpower to make this bottle last 45 minutes. 9.75 percent could not be more drinkable.

I would love to get my hands on another bottle of this stuff. Hopefully they continue to produce more and more. This beer was better in bed than my girlfriend.

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

It's a great stout. For being so strong it still drinks very well, and it also has many flavors buried within. The chocolate is very pronounced though well blended. I seldom can drink two pints of this type of beer, though I managed to do it with this one and I could definitely feel it. It's a very tasty beer with great drinkability, especially for the abv.

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

Enjoyed this beer on tap on 2/4/11 from Brixx Pizza in South Charlotte along side a pizza with proscuitto, artichoke, olives, garlic, and mushroom. ...Dang, I'm hungry again. $6 for a shaker pint.

Appearance is a deep, dark black with no light shining through. It had a beautiful 2 finger deep brown head that lasted quite a while. Lacing was above average. It wasn't until I reached the very bottom of the glass was I able to see any light through the beer.

This brew smells glorious. Semisweet chocolate and dark roast coffee dominate here. Some high abv beers you can really smell the booze...not so here.

Taste...OH DEAR GOD. Foothills seriously knocks it out of the park and into the next zip code with this one. Hardly a hint of alcohol. The taste follows the smell here. Absolutely exceptional.

Mouthfeel is actually not nearly as chewy and viscous as I was expecting. It is very creamy and smooth. It has the consistency of whole milk. I actually enjoyed this aspect of it a lot more than I expected to.

What really takes this beer over the top is its drinkability. Big beers like this can scare a lot of beer novices. Especially ones as dark as this. Our waitress, who at her own admittance is not a beer drinker, said it was love at first sip. This beer goes down amazingly quickly and easy. It seemed to have been served right around 50 degrees, which i would say is the perfect temp. There is absolutely zero alcohol bite or off bitterness you might expect with a chocolate heavy beer.

I had 3 pints of this stuff during dinner and easily could have had more. Yeah...it's THAT good. Seek this stuff out. NOW.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Walk into Mellow Mushroom for couple of brews and a pie, wow Sexual Chocolate on tap way after release date. Hey bartender you actually still have that on tap, yes he tells me they were late getting it in compared to others in the area, my lucky day.

Pours a wonderful dark black with a small brown coco head, I am assuming small head to due to bar pour as the lace is wonderful sheets all the way down my pint.

Aroma is well chocolate lots of fluffy chocolate notes on roasted malt base slight coffee notes underneath but hell hard to smell much besides the chocolate roasted malts really.

Taste is wonderful so bloody smooth and creamy like fluffy nugget or something, loads of chocolate coming from the roasted malts, no so much artificial like Rouges but roasted malty chocolate tons of it and so damn smooth. Sorry keep repeating myself but this brew is just wonderful, some light coffee notes and hops underneath it all, no alcohol is noted, man this stuff goes down so easy. Man this stuff could get you into trouble could drink these all day. Perfect blend of roasted sweet malt goodness with light hops in finish along with linger coco powder in your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth creamy and wonderful only medium heavy not so thick and heavy as some big stouts. But man does it do justice to the taste seems perfect for this beer smooth creamy silky chocolate better then any candy bar. Little bite of carbonation in the finish to let you know its there.

Drinkability is just wonderful man does this go down smooth and easy two pints gone in no time potentially could be dangerous. Man i wish i wasn't driving could stand to have a few more of these. A must try if you can find it get it, best chocolate stout I have had.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%