Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

foothillsbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Ratings: 1,356 |  Reviews: 462

2010 bottle shared last night at a stout tasting.

A: Pours really dark with a nice mocha cap even in my tasting glass. Tons of body on this one, just coats the glass as I swirl away.

S: First and foremost if the chocolate, nice bitter dark chocolate gets pushed to the front by the deeply roasted grains while dark fruit notes float in and out of the mix.

T: I'm getting a lot of chocolate still, as expected, but the cocoa nibs really gave this some nice sweet dark fruit flavors that get brought into balance with the bitter cut. An almost herbal/mineral flavor can be found in the finish. Flavors definitely hang with this one.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation to match, I think a year did this one some good. Body seems spot on with some nice warmth but no real "heat" to speak of.

D: I may now have to seek out the barrel aged version. After getting my bottle last year I was thinking it might actually fall into the over-hyped camp, but considering what I gave up for it I'm very pleased. It really stood out against all the other stouts.

Huge thanks to pwrf12 for this bottle! Poured from a 22 oz bottle dated 2011 (most recent release) into a Foothills pint glass which pwrf12 also gave me...

A - Pours an almost opaque dark brown. Really bordering on being black, but there is the slightest bit of light getting through this one. Very bubbly, espresso color head forms and retains quite well.

S - Surprisingly not bombarded with chocolate like I thought I would be. With that said, there are some milk chocolate notes mixed with molasses and some coffee like aromas as well. Surprisingly a lot ofdark fruits in the nose as well; unexpected for a chocolate stout.

T - Big hit of bitter dark chocolate with a bitter espresso like coffee flavor right up front. Molasses comes next with some roasted malts and lots of dark toffee. Theres also some nice dark fruit flavors in there as well; remids me of alcohol soaked fruits. Not wowed by the chocolate factor in this beer like I thought I would be. I could have really used some more; instead a lot of the other flavors take the palate by storm before you get the chocolate.

M - Nice creamy stout. Full bodied and a slightly low carbonation makes for an enjoyable feel on the palate.

D - Quite a drinkable beer. Although I don't know if I would really seek this one out again. It was good once, but not the most "wow" brewery only release beers I've ever had.

Tryed this on tap @Lindley Park Filling Station last night (2-10-12) and it's the 2nd time within a week that I've had Sexual Chocolate. I had the pleasure of experiencing the 2010 Sexual Chocolate Barrel Aged over Cocoa Nibs last Saturday @ the 1st Annual Raleigh Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting. Now that was 1 hell of a great beer. The 2012 draft version was not that impressive. Don't get me wrong, it's a great NC beer by a great NC brewer. But as far as a great beer in the grand scheme of Russian Imperial Stouts, it's excellent; but not great. While it is a brilliant marketing ploy to release 4000 bottles directly at the brewery only (which would piss me off if I was a store carrying all Foothill's other brews). Lesson learned, don't buy into all the hype/local cultist following; judge for thine self. There are just to many superior Russian Imperials (Old Rasputin, Brooklyn Dark Chocolate, Stone, Samual Smith's, Founders, and Siberian Night .. to name a few) that are readily available seasonally to even consider standing in line for 6+ hours (although I'm sure the beer share in line is way cool) on pre-release morning. Don't get me wrong, I am not bitter, nor mad; I like Foothills and love thier brew pub. It's just dissappointing to experience my 1st Sexual Chocolate year, with all of it's hype and national news coverage and then to experience it and have your sails deflated. If this brew came out of Wyoming, they would be lucky to sale 4000 bottles in a season, but here in NC that amount dissappears in less than a dozen hours. Kinda sad really. I'll try it again on tap if it's available, but for me; actively seeking it out is not on my things to do list.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub