Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 450 | Ratings: 1,310
4.58/5  rDev +12%

Had as part of a wonderful 3 year vertical at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC!

It poured a deep and opaque black color with a dark brown head. There was a big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, more chocolate and a subtle following of molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone, both bittersweet and malt, with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit. Each sip leaves you craving another. This Imperial stout weighs in around 10% ABV and is worth every bit of hype it gets!

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to pecorasc for opening this one. Bottled Feb 2010. Bottle # 521/1000.

A: Dark black that slightly fades to dark brown around the very edge of the glass. Finger width of head. Thin film on top throughout the entire time I drank this beer.

S: Lots of chocolate. Some hints of nice roasty malts and some dark fruit. Lots of vanilla.

T: Great flavor. Lots of dark chocolate up front, that turns to roastiness in the finish. Picking up some dark fruits and some sweetness too.

M: Medium carbonation, but i marked this down a little because this beer is a little on the thin side.

D: Had good drinkability. RIS at 10%? Didnt really even notice the alcohol. Very well blended beer. Everything works well together.

Good beer overall, and I would definitely drink this again.

3.03/5  rDev -25.9%

Thanks to Bucketboy for this beer.

A - Pours a semi dark black, with a bright tan head. The beer looks oily, and the head lasts and sticks inside the glass. Perfection.

S - With a nice lasting head, there was quite some nose in this sucker. However, not the best. I expected more chocolate. I get a lot of roast and sweet malt, but where is my Dark Chocolate? If you are going to advertise a Chocolate, and talk about it on the bottle, represent. Sweet malt dominates the nose, and it isn't the most pleasing aroma.

T - Ah, there is the cocoa. Right as the first wave of flavor dashes in, the cocoa hits you, but it quickly diminishes. Where did it go? Where is the chocolate buttery goodness? It's gone. Quick to make up for the flavor loss is roasted malt, with a slight coffee kick. No dark fruit sweetness like the label describes, just roasted and smoky, almost burnt tasting, malt. Oh well, I will continue to enjoy my initial flavor wave with every sip. The ending flavor of the beer is just not good. Don't smoke the Chocolate Beers please, bad combo.

M - very well done. If any improvements could be made, perhaps a tad more carbonation for an added boost of explosion. The beer coats the mouth, the body is very noticeable, and this is not a weak thin stout, and that deserves praise.

D - At 10%, this beer is one I could drink all night. If not for the taste being rather lack luster, this beer would score a 5 on drinkability.

O - The beer is a huge letdown. I expected more cocoa and buttery sweetness, like other delicious chocolate stouts. What we have is another roast bomb. I hope the BA versions could top this, and mellow out that harsh roasted flavor, as I have 2 of them. Biggest disappointment of 2011 so far. Shame too. Glad I got to try it though.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

A growler fill from GBX poured into pint glass. Beautiful dark black pour with no chance of light getting through! A generous mocca head stays for a bit and provides adequate lacing. Smell is of roasted malts, chocolate and cocco. Taste was just a little disappointing for me. I will preface this by saying, I got the last fill out of the station. Actually only got about 3/4 fill on my growler. It had quite a bit of a metalic taste to it and strong booze quality. With all the hype, I was wanting a smooth mix of booze, chocolate and malts but it just wasn't there. Feel was nice and creamy, like a good RIS should be. Adequate carbonation. Overall- I want to try this again and think it may have been an outlier due to the bottom of the keg. Just okay and letdown with the taste-

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Tylers in Durham as part of its 08 debut. Pours jet black, no lite penetrating at all as its held to the light. A quarter inch dark tan head escapes not long after my first sip. A ring of steady lace remains. The aroma at first is more subdued. At first just hints of semisweet chocolate and roasted malts. As this beer warms the aroma's really get much more complex, Caramel and charred fruit. Faint hints of anaise as well. The taste starts with a soft bakers chocolate sweetness and caramel undertones. The hops sneak in and assert themselves on your tongue. A warming begins down your throat after a few sips. The mouthfeel is moderate and extremely creamy and smooth. By the time you start to realize the strength of this beer you look down and your Foothills tumbler is almos empty. This beer is much too easy to drink for it's strength. A complex brew that's hard to keep away from your nose and your gullet. Highly Recommended.

2.96/5  rDev -27.6%

Let's go hawks! Thanks glazeman.

Appearance is nothing too special - black with a one finger light tan head that fades to a nice film of bubbles.

Smell is nonexistent. I get nothing. Reminds me of a Guinness...

Taste is the best part for sure - harsh coffee roasts through out are the most dominant flavor. There is a little bit of chocolate and dark fruits as well.

Mouthfeel is too thin.

Overall, this beer is thin, bland, and way overrated.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to mikesgroove for this on - really looking forward to it!

A: Pour is black as night. Looks like molasses. Thick and viscous. Great looking 2-2.5 finger of dark tan head.

S: Smell of deep roasted malts and some chocolate, a bit of dark fruit and coffee.

T: Complex. Trying to nail down what it is on the front of the tongue. Some vanilla? Dark cherry? Middle and back are much clearer. Ton of malt and chocolate and some smoke in the middle followed by a strong coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full body. Carbonation seems right

D: High in general and very high for the style. Now I gotta get a bottle (hopefully 2) to try!

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

This is an exceptional beer, but not worth getting up on a saturday, and waiting in line for. Kegs get to places other than the brewery, and you can enjoy the beer in the comfort of your favorite stool!

The beer is super dark, and the head is a dirty bone white

The smell is phenomenal, and is surpassed solely by the taste of this beer. the ABV is high, and while you can taste this it's not the most present taste, the chocolate, and hints of oak are what leave your lips as you lower your beer.
Warning, dont drink 2 and post!

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Filled at The Charleston Beer Exchange filled on 2/15 enjoyed on 2/17 poured into my Duvel glass.

A: This is the "black stuff" as the Brits refer to their stouts. Motor oil black with a dark caramel head of about 1 1/2 finger head.

S: Chocolate and coffee with some wonderful earthy notes.

T: Roasted dark chocolate and the slight spice kick associated with dark chocolate or with a ligero cigar. Roasted malts. Hops are not really noticeable on my palate.

M: Very thick. Just right for a stout of this caliber, creamy with a low amount of carbonation.

D: High, at about 10% ABV i was feeling it halfway thru my first glass, so I cant recommend this on an empty stomach or when you need to do something afterword. But it is fantastic after a large meal. Skip desert and drink this.

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

What an incredible beer! I was able to try this beautiful creation at SAVOR in DC, so please excuse my recollection.

Pours jet black with a light brown head.

The nose is very subtle, though one can detect coffee and chocolate.

Tastes like the name says! Big chocolate and coffee notes yet very smooth ... not a lot of heat like you find in other RIPs.

Smooth mouthfeel ... tasted like it came off a nitro tap.

This is a very easy to drink RIP ... I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I could find this on tap in DC.

Probably one of the finest RIPs on the market right now. I'm a big fan of Stone's RIP and until I tried Sexual Chocolate, I'd thought it was the only respectable version of this style. This is one hell of a beer. All I can really say is, find it, by it (en masse if possible), covet it, and drink it. An incredible beer ... can't wait till it makes its way to DC!

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This was a gift from Mikesgroove, who started a Lottery-It-Forward. I still can't believe I'm getting the chance to try this - my first 'hand-numbered' bottle (#378/500), and one I never could have gotten or traded for on my own. Thanks Mike!

This puppy is black, with the darkest ruby-hued head I've ever seen. Aroma is a high quality dark chocolate, maybe some espresso or coffee grounds. Taste is the same great dark chocolate, slightly sweet, turning astringent on the finish. Really no harsh alcohol to this one, just a nice warming feeling. There's something in the aftertaste I'm having trouble putting my finger on - astringent, metallic, I'm not sure. It's got a surprising little hoppy kick to it, keeping it crisper than most RIS's. Quite a bit of fine carbonation, too, keeping it light on the tongue. Glad I split this bottle with a friend - Very enjoyable, but I don't think I could really do justice to a full bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hey, after 20 years of drinking craft beer, I'm writing my first beer review. Why now? Well, I appreciate this community for advocating the drinking of beer, and with starting to trade in the last 6 months, I've had a chance to try some great stuff--and see how far the scene has come--and how strong the hype and criticism can be. Case in point: sexual chocolate.

Looks: like a stout should. Black. Sexy.
Smell: of super dark caramel malt. And cocoa. A bit metallic. Maybe.
Taste: roast yields to some black cherry, then chocolate. Now take a deep breath, let it sink in. And it lingers, and lingers, and lingers. And it's so sexy like that. It knows what's up.
Mouthfeel: also sexy
Drink ability: yes

So here's the thing. I understand that there's a barrel-aged version, and I want to get my hands on it asap, but that doesn't mean this shouldn't get an "a" too. This is top quality stuff. If you have a chance to hit that, do so. If not, you have no love.

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

# 307 of 600
This was to celebrate the first born of my beer partner so Sexual Chocolate was perfect.

A- Obsidian in color with a lacey milk chocolate head.
S- malted chocolate milk, vanilla, mild coconut.
T- more of an edge than I expected, nice chocolate flavor with a touch of coffee but distracted by the mouthfeel.
M- medium to light mouthfeel for the style and I was hoping for more.
D- since it is one of 600 bottles made I'll savor it but it still doesn't compare to some of the the other chocolates I've had.

2010 bottle shared last night at a stout tasting.

A: Pours really dark with a nice mocha cap even in my tasting glass. Tons of body on this one, just coats the glass as I swirl away.

S: First and foremost if the chocolate, nice bitter dark chocolate gets pushed to the front by the deeply roasted grains while dark fruit notes float in and out of the mix.

T: I'm getting a lot of chocolate still, as expected, but the cocoa nibs really gave this some nice sweet dark fruit flavors that get brought into balance with the bitter cut. An almost herbal/mineral flavor can be found in the finish. Flavors definitely hang with this one.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation to match, I think a year did this one some good. Body seems spot on with some nice warmth but no real "heat" to speak of.

D: I may now have to seek out the barrel aged version. After getting my bottle last year I was thinking it might actually fall into the over-hyped camp, but considering what I gave up for it I'm very pleased. It really stood out against all the other stouts.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle # 78/500

Poured a dark black with brownish accents into a glass. Wow - gurgling and creamy head. The aroma is overpoweringly chocolate and woodsy with malty (roasted?) accents. It's complexity is amazing with a mix of dark fruity andbittersweet chocolate and a creamy body.

As if it wasn't a amazingly drinkable beer now, I wonder how much more amazing it would be when cellared. Probably cure everyone's sweet tooth!

Highly recommended.

2.71/5  rDev -33.7%

App- Black as night. Can see the carbonation bubbling. Almost looks like a coke.

Sm- Looking for chocolate, but having to strain to find it. Get some soy sauce and toffee.

Ta- Stone fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, soy sauce.

MF- Very thin bodied and over carbonated.

DR- The taste doesn't make we want to drink a ton of this.

Disappointing. Very over-hyped. What I would expect from a mediocre corner brewpub's RIS.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

appearance is not as thick as expected, dark brown but not fully opaque. light brown head with great retention, always a layer of bubbles with no regenerating swirls necessary. bigger bubbles hug the sides. the label... one of my favorites. if drinking straight from the bottle, id give it a 6.

smell is of dark cherries, alcohol infused figs, really subtle hints of dark chocolate.

closely following a roasted malt taste are sour cherries, molasses tanginess, and some slightly bitter qualities. this has a much greater tangy, dark fruity character than any other imperial stout ive tasted.

medium body, not thick, not thin. right there in the middle. wouldnt want it any thinner though.

drinkability is alright. the sour fruitiness is hard to figure out. approaching this beer with an expectation for huge chocolate plus generic ris qualities will result in surprise. perhaps with different expectations, i could have gulped this thing down and not known what happened. its certainly the most sour and fruity (things i love) ris i can recall, which makes it a little out of place. not bad, but also not meeting expectations. if looking for huge, delicious chocolate, try choklat. yum.

sexual chocolate. the name and the bottle seem a clever tease. desire, expectation, suspense. then surprise, confusion, an empty glass. wondering why i didnt get what i expected instead of appreciating what i was given. sexual chocolate... you b****. now i cant wait to expect a sour fruitiness on our reacquaintance. all wrapped in a roasty blankey. mmm!

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Initially had both the '09 and '10 vintages at the release, but just too much going on to give either a fair review. Decided to open bottle 157 of 1000 this evening and share with the wife as part of our Valentine's Day celebration.

Poured into a DFH snifter and it has the typical dark opaque appearance of the RIS style. Very little head or lacing, although it does leave a light brown colored ring around the edge of the glass. Aroma is of dark chocolate, espresso, and dark fruit (raisins?). Taste closely follows aroma with the dark fruit and heavy chocolate being the most prominent on the palate. Minimal carbonation with a thin, creamy mouthfeel and goes down exceptionally smooth. For a 10% abv brew, this is one highly drinkable RIS....and it gets so much better as it warms up. An excellent job by Foothills....it may be a tad over-hyped, but it is still one of the better RISes that I've tried.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

2010 Bottle 185/1000 reviewed out of a snifter at Big Bad Stout tasting.

Poured a Dark black with a brownish hue when held up to the light. Moderate head with a faint amount of lacing on side of glass and some bubbles. I got a slight amount of chocolate on the nose with some cocoa powder and raster coffee. Taste was very dry and bitter chocolate, slight toffee and roasted malts as it warmed up. Pretty carbonation on the mouthfeel, creamy and not too thick. Would probably drink again with friends, but not a huge fan of the bitter chocolate taste.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle #384/500.

Black as pitch in the tar pits of La Brea.

Nose of dry roasted espresso beans, blackstrap molasses, and dusty cocoa powder.

Flavor is a bit rough around the edges. Big hop bitterness accentuated by roasted malt leads to a palably biting finish. Hot alcohol lingers on the tip of my tongue. Dark chocolate, dried fruits, and burnt toffee peek out from beneath the bitterness and fusels. Not as much chocolate as I would like for a beer infused with cocoa nibs.

This beer needs some time to mellow and smooth out so the flavors can meld together. A good candidate for cellaring for 2 plus years.

Overall, a brash and bold newcomer to the world of Imperial Stouts. Cheers to BA barleywinebrewer for sharing the wealth from down South!

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A:A nice dark almost opaque black color. The head was brown and it stayed up very nicely.
S:There was a strong roasted malt smell with a little bit of caramel, too. Also there was a hint of bitterness in the nose.
T:The flavor was great and very smooth. The roasted flavor was very present. There was some chocolate flavor on the middle palate but it was not very noticable. If it didn't call itself a chocolate stout I would't have picked up on it right away. The higher alochol was not very noticable. It tasted very smooth overall.
MF:Medium to heavy body
D:I wouldn't be able to drink too many of these beers. They were very good. The strong flavor from the roasted malts prevents it from being a beer that I can drink multiple beers at once. Overall it was a very good beer.

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottled Feb. 2016. Poured into a snifter.

Looks like a dark colored chocolatey stout. Big foamy head, nice lacing.

Smells like chocolate and coffee, but not overly great though. Average nose.

Taste is solid, but not really sexual chocolate as it implies.

Thick mouth feel with long finish.

Overall it's not worth the hype or the price. At $19 a bottle I don't recommend. The label is dope, the name is dope, but the beer is just good.

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 22oz Bomber poured into a snifter

First time having the Sexual Chocolate...a virgin if you will. Big thanks to CarolinaKevin for the bottles!

Nice pour...viscous jet black with a 2 finger dark tan head which slowly dissipates to a lasting foam ring. Looks very nice...among the best I've seen.

The aroma lacks a bit from what I expected to be honest....really was looking for BIG strong chocolate notes but was only hit with slight chocolate, molasses, and some ethanol.

Here we go...the flavor really makes up for what the aroma was lacking. Lots of dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee, dark malts, bitterness from both hops and cocoa. Very nice and well balanced!

The mouth feel is where I feel that this beer really shines...viscous and sweet at first but finishes light with a bit of ethanol. The carbonation is perfect...I hate over carbonated stouts but this one's where it should be.

When I think of my favorite (non-barrel aged) imperial stouts, Founders is on the top of the list, but this one is a serious contender...it may even took first place! Really a great stout that could use a bit more aroma, but ultimately satisfying my Jungle Fever!

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub