Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 449 | Ratings: 1,307
4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle 258/500, shared with balberts after getting it in trade from Shuajw. Thanks again.

A - Thick and black, little to no head, quite viscous as it pours.

S - Roasted barley, not as much chocolate as I would have expected.

T - Nice, complex smokeyness complimenting notes of sweetness and chocolate near the end. Leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Slightly carbonated, thick and smooth.

D - I'm not sure this is even relevant here, as the chances of following the first bottle with the second are almost none...

This is a great, complex stout that I wish I could get more of. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this from this brewing. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and I think I can honestly say that it has earned at least most of it. Thanks again for the bottle Josh.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

# 307 of 600
This was to celebrate the first born of my beer partner so Sexual Chocolate was perfect.

A- Obsidian in color with a lacey milk chocolate head.
S- malted chocolate milk, vanilla, mild coconut.
T- more of an edge than I expected, nice chocolate flavor with a touch of coffee but distracted by the mouthfeel.
M- medium to light mouthfeel for the style and I was hoping for more.
D- since it is one of 600 bottles made I'll savor it but it still doesn't compare to some of the the other chocolates I've had.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hey, after 20 years of drinking craft beer, I'm writing my first beer review. Why now? Well, I appreciate this community for advocating the drinking of beer, and with starting to trade in the last 6 months, I've had a chance to try some great stuff--and see how far the scene has come--and how strong the hype and criticism can be. Case in point: sexual chocolate.

Looks: like a stout should. Black. Sexy.
Smell: of super dark caramel malt. And cocoa. A bit metallic. Maybe.
Taste: roast yields to some black cherry, then chocolate. Now take a deep breath, let it sink in. And it lingers, and lingers, and lingers. And it's so sexy like that. It knows what's up.
Mouthfeel: also sexy
Drink ability: yes

So here's the thing. I understand that there's a barrel-aged version, and I want to get my hands on it asap, but that doesn't mean this shouldn't get an "a" too. This is top quality stuff. If you have a chance to hit that, do so. If not, you have no love.

2010 bottle shared last night at a stout tasting.

A: Pours really dark with a nice mocha cap even in my tasting glass. Tons of body on this one, just coats the glass as I swirl away.

S: First and foremost if the chocolate, nice bitter dark chocolate gets pushed to the front by the deeply roasted grains while dark fruit notes float in and out of the mix.

T: I'm getting a lot of chocolate still, as expected, but the cocoa nibs really gave this some nice sweet dark fruit flavors that get brought into balance with the bitter cut. An almost herbal/mineral flavor can be found in the finish. Flavors definitely hang with this one.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation to match, I think a year did this one some good. Body seems spot on with some nice warmth but no real "heat" to speak of.

D: I may now have to seek out the barrel aged version. After getting my bottle last year I was thinking it might actually fall into the over-hyped camp, but considering what I gave up for it I'm very pleased. It really stood out against all the other stouts.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle # 78/500

Poured a dark black with brownish accents into a glass. Wow - gurgling and creamy head. The aroma is overpoweringly chocolate and woodsy with malty (roasted?) accents. It's complexity is amazing with a mix of dark fruity andbittersweet chocolate and a creamy body.

As if it wasn't a amazingly drinkable beer now, I wonder how much more amazing it would be when cellared. Probably cure everyone's sweet tooth!

Highly recommended.

2.71/5  rDev -33.7%

App- Black as night. Can see the carbonation bubbling. Almost looks like a coke.

Sm- Looking for chocolate, but having to strain to find it. Get some soy sauce and toffee.

Ta- Stone fruits, roasted malts, chocolate, soy sauce.

MF- Very thin bodied and over carbonated.

DR- The taste doesn't make we want to drink a ton of this.

Disappointing. Very over-hyped. What I would expect from a mediocre corner brewpub's RIS.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

appearance is not as thick as expected, dark brown but not fully opaque. light brown head with great retention, always a layer of bubbles with no regenerating swirls necessary. bigger bubbles hug the sides. the label... one of my favorites. if drinking straight from the bottle, id give it a 6.

smell is of dark cherries, alcohol infused figs, really subtle hints of dark chocolate.

closely following a roasted malt taste are sour cherries, molasses tanginess, and some slightly bitter qualities. this has a much greater tangy, dark fruity character than any other imperial stout ive tasted.

medium body, not thick, not thin. right there in the middle. wouldnt want it any thinner though.

drinkability is alright. the sour fruitiness is hard to figure out. approaching this beer with an expectation for huge chocolate plus generic ris qualities will result in surprise. perhaps with different expectations, i could have gulped this thing down and not known what happened. its certainly the most sour and fruity (things i love) ris i can recall, which makes it a little out of place. not bad, but also not meeting expectations. if looking for huge, delicious chocolate, try choklat. yum.

sexual chocolate. the name and the bottle seem a clever tease. desire, expectation, suspense. then surprise, confusion, an empty glass. wondering why i didnt get what i expected instead of appreciating what i was given. sexual chocolate... you b****. now i cant wait to expect a sour fruitiness on our reacquaintance. all wrapped in a roasty blankey. mmm!

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Receive bottle via trade (52/600) cap was leaking when I got it so I had to open it qucik :( Aroma is chocolate, coffee, and sticky molasses. Such a great aroma that fills the air when poured. Flavor is exceptional. Balanced, not too much chocolate. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and some alcohol but in a complementary fashion not overpowering. Smooth, creamy and rich mouthfeel with light carbonation. Great for an impy. It's sad that I'm going to lose this fine brew through the process of digestion.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Initially had both the '09 and '10 vintages at the release, but just too much going on to give either a fair review. Decided to open bottle 157 of 1000 this evening and share with the wife as part of our Valentine's Day celebration.

Poured into a DFH snifter and it has the typical dark opaque appearance of the RIS style. Very little head or lacing, although it does leave a light brown colored ring around the edge of the glass. Aroma is of dark chocolate, espresso, and dark fruit (raisins?). Taste closely follows aroma with the dark fruit and heavy chocolate being the most prominent on the palate. Minimal carbonation with a thin, creamy mouthfeel and goes down exceptionally smooth. For a 10% abv brew, this is one highly drinkable RIS....and it gets so much better as it warms up. An excellent job by Foothills....it may be a tad over-hyped, but it is still one of the better RISes that I've tried.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

2010 Bottle 185/1000 reviewed out of a snifter at Big Bad Stout tasting.

Poured a Dark black with a brownish hue when held up to the light. Moderate head with a faint amount of lacing on side of glass and some bubbles. I got a slight amount of chocolate on the nose with some cocoa powder and raster coffee. Taste was very dry and bitter chocolate, slight toffee and roasted malts as it warmed up. Pretty carbonation on the mouthfeel, creamy and not too thick. Would probably drink again with friends, but not a huge fan of the bitter chocolate taste.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle #384/500.

Black as pitch in the tar pits of La Brea.

Nose of dry roasted espresso beans, blackstrap molasses, and dusty cocoa powder.

Flavor is a bit rough around the edges. Big hop bitterness accentuated by roasted malt leads to a palably biting finish. Hot alcohol lingers on the tip of my tongue. Dark chocolate, dried fruits, and burnt toffee peek out from beneath the bitterness and fusels. Not as much chocolate as I would like for a beer infused with cocoa nibs.

This beer needs some time to mellow and smooth out so the flavors can meld together. A good candidate for cellaring for 2 plus years.

Overall, a brash and bold newcomer to the world of Imperial Stouts. Cheers to BA barleywinebrewer for sharing the wealth from down South!

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A:A nice dark almost opaque black color. The head was brown and it stayed up very nicely.
S:There was a strong roasted malt smell with a little bit of caramel, too. Also there was a hint of bitterness in the nose.
T:The flavor was great and very smooth. The roasted flavor was very present. There was some chocolate flavor on the middle palate but it was not very noticable. If it didn't call itself a chocolate stout I would't have picked up on it right away. The higher alochol was not very noticable. It tasted very smooth overall.
MF:Medium to heavy body
D:I wouldn't be able to drink too many of these beers. They were very good. The strong flavor from the roasted malts prevents it from being a beer that I can drink multiple beers at once. Overall it was a very good beer.

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 22oz Bomber poured into a snifter

First time having the Sexual Chocolate...a virgin if you will. Big thanks to CarolinaKevin for the bottles!

Nice pour...viscous jet black with a 2 finger dark tan head which slowly dissipates to a lasting foam ring. Looks very nice...among the best I've seen.

The aroma lacks a bit from what I expected to be honest....really was looking for BIG strong chocolate notes but was only hit with slight chocolate, molasses, and some ethanol.

Here we go...the flavor really makes up for what the aroma was lacking. Lots of dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee, dark malts, bitterness from both hops and cocoa. Very nice and well balanced!

The mouth feel is where I feel that this beer really shines...viscous and sweet at first but finishes light with a bit of ethanol. The carbonation is perfect...I hate over carbonated stouts but this one's where it should be.

When I think of my favorite (non-barrel aged) imperial stouts, Founders is on the top of the list, but this one is a serious contender...it may even took first place! Really a great stout that could use a bit more aroma, but ultimately satisfying my Jungle Fever!

3.72/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

With a name like Sexual Chocolate I would have expected a more in your face chocolate aroma, this beer has a mild chocolate aroma. Good thickness and mouthfeel, solid from start to mid to finish. The IBUs shine through with a bite at at the end that reminds you that you are drinking an imperial stout. Would recommend this beer but not for the price.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in Bells tulip. 2011 vintage.

A- Dark and thick with a 3-finger caramel head. Very solid head retention and lacing.

S- Smokey malts, chocolate, roastiness, anise,

T- All in the same as the nose, noticable smokiness, chocolate, molasses, pretty smooth.

M- Thick, mouth-coating, a good creaminess.

Overall- Great beer. Would like just a little more age on this.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

I finally decided to crack open my 2009 vintage of this bad boy. First, let me start by saying this is one of my favorite names for a beer and also one of my favorite labels. It pours jet black with a nice 3 fingers of dark tan head and leave a nice foamy lacing on my Founders 10 Anniversary glass. The smell is a bit off putting because it has a rather large burnt grains smell with lingering hits of chocolate, carmel, booze and earth. The flavor is much better as the burnt grain smell is replaced by the taste of bitter sweet chocolate, sweet grains, toffee, carmel, coffee and earthy flavors....overall the taste of chocolate and roasted grains is most prominent and quit delicious. This beer is thick in my mouth like a bitter chocolate milk shake. I really enjoyed this beer, much more than I thought I would. The chocolate is there, but over powering and all the flavors really meld together nicely. I may seek this one out again, but there are a few other imperial stouts I have higher on my list.

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottled Feb. 2016. Poured into a snifter.

Looks like a dark colored chocolatey stout. Big foamy head, nice lacing.

Smells like chocolate and coffee, but not overly great though. Average nose.

Taste is solid, but not really sexual chocolate as it implies.

Thick mouth feel with long finish.

Overall it's not worth the hype or the price. At $19 a bottle I don't recommend. The label is dope, the name is dope, but the beer is just good.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

I have heard of this from the forums, but wasn't keyed in on the hype or anything. I went to the Flying Saucer in Raleigh and they happened to have it on tap, so I went for it.

Nice 3/4 head of tan/cream and coffee color. nice little bubbles.
There could be something living in here, but you wouldn't see it. This thing absorbs the light around it.

Good cocoa smell, some molasses, little bit of coffee, and, I swear, dried smoking tobacco.

Taste is surprisingly more roasted maltiness than chocolate. The chocolate is there, but it's more milk chocolate than the nose would have you believe. I like the slight hop presence I swear I can "Smaste" dried smoking tobacco. Guy with me says its made in Winston-Salem, must be a pre-req for all products leaving the area!

I think the mouthfeel is slightly thin, this was my only disappointment with it. It is smooth and creamy, but a little too watery.

Drinkability is all there. This bar has so much on tap that I had to try other things, otherwise, I would have kept drinking this one. Wish it was more readily available. Good RIS. Not sure what all the hype is about. Goddamn beer trekkies!!

My first ever growler, and what a pleasure it was! Deep black colour that reminds me of midnight mixed with space. It has a nice looking head that hangs around and a wonderful lace. Smells strongly of chocolate (obviously) and to lesser extent coffee. A powerful, and pleasant aroma that makes my mouth watcher for the first taste. The taste is everything I expected, a sweet chocolate with some coffee aftertaste as well, but the sweetness makes this a truly memorable experience. This also may be the best feeling beer I've ever had, in addition to the taste which also certainly up there as well. I still have a hard time believing that this is a 10% RIS, because our friends at Bud Light could use some education as to what true "drinkability" is. This may very well be one of the best beers i've ever had, and I'm already sad that my growler is gone and i'll have to wait to get another

4.36/5  rDev +6.6%

Caveat: this is my first BIG beer release, and after waiting three and a half hours in line, this beer is bound to be excellent. I will make every attempt to be impartial.

Bottle 309/600, 2009 vintage.

This beer is beautiful. On the outside and the inside. The 22 oz bottle has a beautiful label, and it pours a coal black, opaque body into my pint glass. An aggressive pour develops a tall, chunky, khaki head. After slowly dissipating, the head leaves a screen of lace behind.

The aroma is BEAUTIFUL! Chocolate, molasses, and coffee blend into something heavenly. My only gripe is that the smell isn't BIG enough.

Tastes like chocolate and molasses. A slight aftertaste of bitter, day old coffe grinds. Near the end, a wash of alcohol cleanses the sweetness leaving behind the acrid coffee taste.

On the frontside, this beer is creamy and bold in the mouth, but on the back end, it seems to thin out. I'd love to have a thicker, more substantial texture out of this.

If it were readily available, this would stand comfortably as a special occasion sipper, but with the limited release (600 bottles this year) it's really a once a year type thing... And I can't wait for a special occasion, so happy saturday to me.

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Managed to get a couple bottles of this rarity. Had 2011 vintage on tap once last year and was pretty impressed.

A - Hard to describe this style without being redundant. Pitch black, creamy mocha head that sticks around for quite a while.

S - Good not great. Chocolate dominates, dark, bitter notes along with some fruity characters and a hint of alcohol.

T - Huge bitterness up front (85 IBU) - most of flavor has that rich coffee and dark dark chocolate. At the end there's a bit of that fruitiness that tends to come up in this bigger stouts.

M - Creamy, medium-full, but not viscous. It works with that light carbonation - not sticky/sweet.

O - I think this is a really good imperial stout. It's worth seeking out but I wouldn't stand in-line for it at 3 am. Doesn't quite hit that upper tier but is really nice.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

While I was at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville today picking up some KBS Jason told me that Barley's down the street still had some Sexual Chocolate on tap. As highly regarded as this brew is I figured I couldn't miss out on this opportunity so I headed down the road to grab myself a glass. I had the beer at 3:30 pm so there was no smoke or anything in the air to cloud my nose and lots of light to see the beer. This review is from my notes.

Appearance: Brought to my table in a 10.5 oz. goblet. This beer is a dark, dark black color, and while it's hard to say if it's the blackest beer I've ever had it is definitely up there. The head was a gorgeous dark brown color, darker than chocolate milk with a wonderful soft, pillowy texture. The head is also very sticky and as I drank it left enormous amounts of lace on the glass, at times almost blanketing the entire glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is full of different aromas, the strongest of which is dark chocolate. It also has the usual chocolate/espresso interplay that Russian Imperial Stouts have, and these aromas are supplemented by notes of blackstrap molasses, treacle toffee, and raisins.

Taste: With the first sip of this beer I realize that it definitely deserves its reputation. It starts off with a wonderful sweet chocolate flavor, moves to a strong dark malt flavor, and finishes with just a bit of hop bitterness. That may sound pretty standard, but what sets this beer apart from other stouts is how well Foothills has balanced out these flavors. The chocolate is sweet but not milky, the malt is roasted but not at all charred like some beers, and the hops are prevalent enough to taste but faint enough to give this beer an excellent finish that, even after the full goblet, was never bitter. Unlike some Russian Imperial Stouts that are so hoppy in the finish they destroy your palate this one is, as Goldilocks said, "just right".

Mouthfeel: This is one exceptionally creamy beer. The mouthfeel is somewhat akin to what I can imagine drinking liquid cream would be like, and it is so creamy it reminds me of a milk stout. The carbonation is also very low, further giving this beer a thick, luscious mouthfeel. Overall an ungodly creamy, yet full-bodied, brew and I feel like only a 5 fully does the mouthfeel of this beer justice.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 10% ABV in this beer, and compared to the Storm King Imperial Stout I drank last night this beer is much more drinkable, which is saying a lot considering I gave Storm King a 4.5 in that category. This beer, however, deserves the 5 that it will receive from me.

Notes: Overall I was very impressed with this beer, and my only complaint is that I didn't get a chance to buy any bottles during this year's release. I love stouts, and there are lots of good ones out there, but Foothills Sexual Chocolate is definitely one of the best. It looks beautiful and smells incredible, but the taste and the mouthfeel are what really set it apart from its peers. If you ever get the chance to sample this beer, don't pass it up; you'll be disappointed if you do.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was blessed to be able to enjoy this brew on tap at Barley's Taproom in downtown Maryville, Tennessee.

Appearance: Very minimal tan head with little to no lacing. Nice, coffee-black body.

Smell: Strong and stouty. Not much to say on the smell.

Taste: This is where the beer starts to shine. Strong chocolate notes from the first sip. Dark with just a touch of coffee bitterness and malt sweetness. Alcohol doesn't show up in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Probably my favorite part of this beer. Thick, rich mouthfeel with just enough carbonation. The mouthfeel is somewhere between Guinness and melted ice cream; I for one like that.

Overall: This is a very good beer. It may not be the end-all Imperial stout, but it is worth actively seeking out in my opinion. I was lucky enough for it to show up at a local bar.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Both 09 and 10 vintages on tap at Tyler's in Durham. This is for 10.

A - Nice half-fingerish dark brown head on an opaque body. What I'm looking for.

S - Very good stuff. Nice smooth blend of the espresso, coffee, dark fruits, bit of roastiness. Smells good but not exceptional.

T - Excellent. Plenty of what I smelled, espresso, dark fruit, roasty malts, chocolate. This isn't like Rogue's or anything, though - the chocolate is present throughout but not overpowering. It's an aspect of the flavor but not the flavor itself. This is how chocolate stouts should be made. It's also an exceptionally smooth-drinking beer. Heavier on the chocolate and malt than espresso - good.

M - Also excellent. Carbonation's just right (good thing I suppose since it was the release night there Wed). The thickness is a great balance for a strong imp stout.

D - This one is truly remarkable. The alcohol is blended so well into the flavor that you don't get a warning sign until you break for a moment. The chocolate/espresso stays great as it warms up, too. Every glass was great from start to finish. I could've kept drinking this throughout the Duke-UNC game, but 3 before/throughout was enough.

Notes for the 09 edition, just differences - the main difference was in the actual balance. Tons more chocolate and sweetness in this than the 10. The 10 had a great balance of roast, coffee, and chocolate, while the 09 definitely tilted a bit far to the chocolate side. This showed up in smell and taste, and the sweetness lowered drinkability some. Otherwise it was still quite good and I'd gladly drink this at home had I made it to the release, but on tap is fine with me.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

I've had this before - in 2007, just after it was released and again in 2007, after it had aged for an additional 7 months. Last year it was too hot to drink upon February release, but fabulously perfect in September.

Now it is 2008, and the beer was brewed a little earlier. I made a point to have it at Foothills on draft, and again at Barley's in Asheville.

It poured with that same deep black appearance, but the aroma and flavor did not scream of hot alcohol this time. Complex flavors of chocolate, molasses, coffee, dark fruit and something a little tart oscillated in my mouth between each sip.

This is an attractive beverage, and I can't wait to see how it ages in the keg and in the bottle over the next couple of months.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub