Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Reviews: 451 | Ratings: 1,312
3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

At Churchkey in DC, a 10 oz snifter for $9 of the 2009 vintage. First time I've ever seen anything from Foothills in DC/Nova/MD area.

This experience with the beer wasn't all that impressive. The beer is served in a snifter that is about 4/5 near black, opaque liquid with a large, dense foamy tan head that hangs around the duration of the beer and leaves thick sheets of lacing. Aroma is mild blend of expected roast malt, cocoa, milk chocolate, slightly powdery. Carbonation is very low throughout and body is generally silky and smooth, but marginally thin for the style and slightly watery in the finish. Flavor is one dimensional, natural milk chocolate and cocoa powder with a mild sweet malt body. Little to no hop, fruit, char or alcohol presence resulting in an overall lack of balance. I'm waiting to try a bottle of the 2010 release and have greatly diminished expectations for that, but I'm still holding out hope that will be a little more complex, interesting and nuanced. However if this keg was representative of what everyone else has sampled for this beer, then for me this is easily one of the most undeservedly over hyped and sought after beers I've tried.

edit: Reading other reviews from the same night it's like we had two different beers. I wonder if I had a dirty glass or...I don't know, something seems off. Wouldn't be first time that's happened to me there.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

What a treat to finally sample this beer. Many, many thanks for bringing this gem Dyan; a beer I've been wanting to try for some time. Trying this beer blind made the experience all the more interesting and enjoyable I thought.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with very good head retention and lacing. On the nose this beer is hugely impressive, with licorice, black cherry, coffee, vanilla, nuts, bourbon and milk duds. Very, very nice. Flavors on the palate are not quite as intense or impressive as the nose, with flavors of coffee and chocolate dominating the flavor profile. Regardless, the beer is still quite delicious and impressive, with a very full, rich mouthfeel. Finish is a bit boozy, and I dare say a single glass is probably all I could do. Nevertheless, this is clearly a very fine RIS.

Thanks Dyan!

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured dark brown with a decent head. Good retention. Smells primarily of cocoa and some smooth malt. Not dusty smelling as some cocoa smelling beers are and not overly sweet. The taste is also all about the cocoa and a nice backbone of chocolate liqueur. Not overly sweet, but nice deep chocolate flavors without any waxiness and a bit of alcohol comes through as well. Enough malt to keep things firm and together, but there is plenty of pleasant bitterness to stop things from getting too sweet. Somewhat of a one-note beer, but done quite well. I like this a good deal more than the Southern Tier Choklat. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat sharp. It could have used a touch more creaminess. Nice to see a Southern brewer hitting it big. This is nice beer, but I'm not sure there should be a frenzy over it.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

2010 vintage, bottle #276.

A: Black with a tan head, light retention but it leaves an excellent lace.

S: Chocolate covered cherries, brown sugar, hints of fruity esters.

T: Bakers chocolate, demerara, cherries with a hint of tartness, good bitterness, rum-like flavour though the alcohol is relatively subtle (considering the strength).

M: Full body is very smooth, with a slightly drying alcohol finish.

D: An enticing sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

2009 Batch. I've had a few bottles of the 2008 batch but failed to review them. This is the first time I've had this batch.

Poured into my Deschutes snifter, the beer is dark brown, almost to the point of being black. The brown head is huge and beautiful. The retention is excellent. Lacing is plastered everywhere on my glass.

The aroma is rich, dark, bittersweet chocolate, with roasted malt. Dark fruits are evident and the coffee character is understated, which I'm quite happy about. Rich chocolate and roasted malt with a trace of alcohol.

The flavor is bittersweet dark chocolate. It's quite rich, but not overly sweet as the roasted character of the malt won't allow that. The bitterness is low-medium. There are notes of dark fruits and a hint of coffee. The alcohol is well hidden by the rich malt profile. Hops impart bitterness, but their flavor was left fettered in a dungeon in Atlantis. The finish is long, rich, and complex.

Full bodied with low-medium carbonation and a smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

This is one of, if not the best Chocolate Imperial Stout I've had. It's not overwhelmingly sweet, giving it remarkable drinkability for an imposing style.

4.17/5  rDev +2%

Much thanks to Tomdecapolis for breaking out this highly anticipated bottle...
Bottle # 15.
Appears an opaque black with a deep, dark tan head that quickly fades out. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of cocoa, ripe fruit, Baker's chocolate, and a hint of smoked malts.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with more of a black grape flavor pulling through. Again, a hint of smoke is detected.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, fruity, with mild spices and a burnt grain like flavor smaking me before the swallow.
Pretty good beer but it didn't live up to the hype IMO.

Poured a black body with one finger head that died quick with no lace. A roasted cocoa presence first greets my nose and then possible burnt or coffee notes as there is a little more than dark chocolate in aroma. This how beer tastes as it is not your typical RIS in terms of being overly dry, roasted, burnt, charred, but while there is a dry malt presence (and hidden ABV), there is more of a dark, bitter chocolate vibe that adds balance and sweetness. Pretty enjoyable beer that hit the spot for me.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at Foothills Brewing Co. during SC release weekend - 1/28/11 & 1/29/11

*I should note that both the 2011 and the 2009 were on tap. For the purposes of this reivew, I will be covering the 2011.

A: Dark heady brown, fading to black. It isn't the most viscous stout I've seen, though it's certainly near the top of the list. Moderate unsticky head, minimal lacing.

S: Very very nice, the highlight of this brew. Rich hints of dark chocoa nibs and a faint trace of herbacious hops.

T: Good. Very good in fact. But not great, not the "wow" I was expecting. Everything I tend to look for in an RIS is there: a minor essence of hops up front, slight spice on the mid-palate and the malty backbone on the finish. Where I found a slight - shall I say nick in the paint, is the chocolate, the heavy amount of Hershey's syrup I got all the way through. I felt that there wasn't a sense of balance. I'm all for EXTREME!!! - believe me, I am. But I find that the absolute best beers, regardless of how far the envelope is pushed, find balance between every ingredient used. For as much as I enjoyed this one, I did not find the balance that I had hoped for. Instead, I found a melted Hershey's Kiss in my mouth.

M: A slight bit flabby and thin considering all the cocoa running through it's veins. I would tone down the carbonation levels, and create a beer with a bit more weight and viscosity. What is being presented is certainly above average, but again not what I had expeted.

O: I am overjoyed to have had this on tap. Though I found it not to be the best RIS I've ever consumed, it is definitely in the upper echelon. To be honest, my expectations were through the roof - this is (dare I say) a whale, and one I had been dreaming of trying for some time.

With a little bit of age in proper storing conditions, I honestly believe this young and brash 2011 vintage will be marvelous, as the '09 was remarkable.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Poured a black color with good carbonation and a brown head.

S: Nose is espresso, chocolate, dark fruits.
T: Taste is smooth dark chocolate, dark fruits, very light espresso and roasted malt. Booze seems pretty light.
M: Mouthfeel is dark chocolate, smooth, and dark fried fruits. Very good.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to ncvbc for this 650 mL bomber. #126/600 from the February 2009 release. Shared with ksak and janlud.

A: The stout pours a black moonless (and starless) night, forboding and mysterious with the darkness of a singularity. A tan head stands out in contrast to the depth, sitting in thin pools.

S: Chocolate is evident from the first sniff, cocoa powder sweetness and coffee follow. Hops have retained a noticeable strength as well.

T: Each sip has a burnt, charred flavor, heavy on roasted grains. A coffee flavor, eerily similar to Starbucks drip coffee in its bitterness, flitters around. The hops, citrusy, are a welcome diversion from the scorched earth flavors. Black strap, a sugary burnt presence, only adds to the strength. The burnt flavors linger long after the sip is gone.

M: The mouthfeel is imperial, very dark and burnt. I'm glad that I wasn't downing the whole bomber on my own.

D: Very little separates this from other imperial stouts, kind of disappointing. It's good but not great. I wouldn't trade life and limb for another.

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at Sam's Quik Shop in Durham.

Pours a pitch black color with absolutely no head. Smell is chocolate (of course!) though not overwhelmingly so. moderate malty scents. Taste is more of the same, though much more apparent. Its got the typical RIS style taste - dark roasted malts with chocolate and heavy alcohol taste. Holds true to the style here. It's THICK, as you'd expect from the style. It's very full bodied though goes down smooth and easy.

Overall not a world class RIS though definitely above average. Gets a bit too much hype that wouldn't be there if this weren't so rare.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. Label says February 2013.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch light brown head that retains well before receding to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of surface foam. Resilient sheet of crystallized lacing.

S- Dark roasted malt with cocoa and molasses. Also some vanilla and caramel.

T- Smooth dark roasted malt flavor with notes of chocolate and not a whole lot else. Alcohol is nicely hidden. I especially like the aftertaste since the chocolate comes through more there. Slight hint of caramel and vanilla. Somewhat sweet.

M- Medium thickness for the style with medium carbonation and a full body.

O- Quite good but I can see why all the hype surrounded the BA version instead of this base beer. Thank you BlackBelt5112203 for my first taste of Foothills.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from a growler to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick consistency. There was an inch of foam, tan-colored, fairly long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: A solid aroma of malt, chocolate, fruit and hops.

T: Tasted of dark fruit, licorice, malt, dark chocolate, and light hops. A big, robust flavor with a lot of character. A very complex and well rounded flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a surprisingly dry finish. Medium- to full-bodied.

O: While this beer doesn't quite live up to its hype, it's still a well made, easy to like beer. Drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage on tap at Church Key today. What a pleasant surprise!

The pour is quite gorgeous, black with a dark brown head with great retention and lacing. I found the nose excellent. While there was a definite faded hop character with a mildly oxidized character, the blend between dark chocolate, roast, cocoa and a toasted bread sweetness was very very good. The palate opens with a blend of chocolate flavor and a surprising, mild lactic tartness. Flavors of dark chocolate, toasted bread, a moderate caramel sweetness all appear on the palate. Some dark fruit character is noticeable as well, with some plum character. Mildly bitter on the finish with a great dark chocolate bitterness, this beer tastes great. The mouthfeel is borderline exceptional. Medium to full in body with a soft, lush carbonation, this feels exceptional smooth on the palate, a lushness which works beautifully with the delicate chocolate character and the bitterness. This really is a top notch stout, I'd have drunk more but for the $10 pours. Much better than out of a bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Massive thanks to grub for sharing this gem, number 467/500 bottled!!

Pours an opaque black, attractive brown highlights, nice dark tan head, very thick, super retention, drops some nice lacing as it settles down to a thick ring. Smell is some dark fruits and alcohol, chocolate, big roastiness, toffee, intense burnt fruit, more roast, very nice. Taste is tons of chocolate, nice roast, toffee, lots of dark fruit, burnt currants, alcohol, some sherry, bit of pine, molasses, intense finish, flavours aren't as integrated as I expected though, lots of fighting, but lots of intensity. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, very smooth. Maybe with some age the flavours will meld together a little bit more. Regardless, thanks Russ for the fantastic beer!!

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Beer #7 in the "Motha of all Stout Tastings" courtesy of Thirstybird. Bottle #133 of 600. Poured one shade shy of black with no head; just a skim. Nose is mild - malt, licorice and perhaps some dark fruit. Taste consists of malt, char and ash (very ashy/earthy). Also a little spicy/peppery - not your typical RIS. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and carbonation is a bit prickly with a lingering bitterness at the finish. Drinkability is decent, but all and all, I was a little disappointed with this brew.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

February 2010, thanks to Chico1985. 143/1000. Review #666, heh.

A- Pitch black into an oversized wine glass. Mocha colored head grows to a nice size and retains decently. Tons of thick lace on the glass.

S- Very, very intensely roasted up front. Cocoa comes into play nicely as well as some smoke, leather feel.

T- Roast malt forward again, one of the roastiest beers I have had. Some vanilla, caramel, coffee, tart dark fruit, cherry, raisin and smoke. You can sense some of the age.

MF- A bit thin on the body IMO. A somewhat creamy feel with high carbonation. Slight tartness.

A first I was skeptical but it grew on me with time and warmth. A good complexity opens up and it ends up very nice.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

I drank this 2010 version, bottle #480 of 1000, 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours opaque black with a disappointing less than half a finger of dark tan head. Terrible retention, medium lacing.

The aroma is super light. It gives off mostly cocoa, as you would expect. Its pretty sweet.

The taste is a big surprise, it is totally off from the aroma. It is all bitter coffee. There is no sweetness or any chocolate. The finish is bitter and has some bitter alcohol. As the beer warms up a lot it starts to mellow out on the bitterness and a little more chocolate starts to show itself.

The feel is ok, a little too light for a stout, but a very bitter tacky finish.

Overall, I was really disappointed here. The chocolate is super light in the aroma and it disappears mostly in the taste. If I didn't know better I would think this was a coffee stout. The taste is a big one noter and boring. This has to be a top 100 because of the name and bottle, about the only cool thing here.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

OG 2006 bottle, who is this HimerMan character.

Pours completely black, with modest khaki head that immediately recedes to a small cap with some soy sauce looking think lacing.

Aromas begin with bittersweet chocolate, dark toffee, dark fruit and molasses. There is also emerging soy sauce element which sounds off putting but should be expected in small quantities with super aged Imperial Stouts.

The tastes follow the nose with some dark and bittersweet cocoa and a lot of dark fruitiness which I couldn't image was here originally. There is also molasses, treacle, seaweed/soy sauce element as well in the background.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied with low carbonation which is to be expected after all these years. Finish is fairly straight forward, mild cocoa, mild sweet.

Overall I can imagine this being a super revolutionary beer when it was first released but really it is just a good Imperial Stout. It's actually quite drinkable at less than 10% ABV but the flavor profile isn't so exciting that it needs to be sought out each year.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle 96/500, courtesy of brdc (thanks Daniel).

I had this side-by-side with several other big and rare stouts (Darkness, Dark Lord, and Kate the Great). Thus I was able to make comparisons which often elude me when imbibing a single bottle in a sitting. In this case I can say that Sexual Chocolate tastes and smells a lot like Dark Lord, but has a less massive mouthfeel (Dark Lord seemed twice as viscous). Dark Lord is a sipper for this very reason, so to me Sexual Chocolate is immensely drinkable.

The beer is dark black with a nice initial 2-finger foam. The smell was not as chocolaty as I expected from the name, but was really rich with malts and dark fruits (like I said, similar to Dark Lord). The taste was really good too, lots of roasted malt, rich with sweetness and a little chocolate, very flavorful. The body was just thick enough in my opinion, even as it seemed less substantial than Dark Lord. Drinkability couldn't be improved for such a large and flavorful stout. It really goes down easily.

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jojomda & grant217 for sending me bottles of this. I'm still hoarding the bottle Mr. 217 sent me, so this is the fresh February 2010 batch. It says so on the label.

Pours black as any RIS or bottom of a coal mine. As it warms a bit, the smell is rather startling - so rich it's a bit like brandy, thick with alcohol, dark, & rich. Excellent. Makes me think there's a good thing coming to my lips.

Bitter roasted malts kick off the Chocolate Sex experience, stopping just short of coffee, but drifting towards charcoal. Earthy & elemental, & the advertised chocolate is a chin-stroking afterthought to the singe. Grainy & gritty, with a fist-bump of hops that linger into the aftertaste & leave a nice ring around the ashes of the campfire in my mouth. Mmmm.

(By the way, I love roasted, charred, burned, etc. malts, so most of that previous paragraph was intended as a compliment...we now return to our regularly scheduled review)

Nice & thick, with a stickiness that really sticks to your ribs, & everything else. This is almost a full meal in & of itself. Despite that, I'm sure that if my wife decides she doesn't want her half of the bottle, I'll happily dispose of it for her.

Well, I wasn't sure at first, but as this one warms, it opens like the roses after a steady rain. Black roses, of course. I'm already looking forward to the 2008 bottle that's been resting for a long time in the cellar. Maybe next year...

4.62/5  rDev +13%

Sampled from gravity pour multiple times at Brewvival.

Pours black with a thin tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts with semi-sweet chocolate and tobacco. Also present are very slight hints of boozy figs.

Tastes even better than it smells. Perfect amounts of roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are smooth tobacco flavors and lighter chocolate. Very light amounts of smokiness join in midway through the sip before being overtaken by slight amounts of dark fruit flavors. The dark chocolate, roasted malt, and tobacco flavors push aside the dark fruit flavors and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer benefitted from the cask treatment as the cocoa nibs were able to shine with gusto. My one qualm with the cask conditioning is that the mouthfeel suffers slightly. Still, if you see this beer on cask don't hesitate, it'll go fast as it well should, very much worth a shot.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

22oz bottle - #138/500. shipped by blackie many moons ago - promised i would drink it this winter when we got 5" of snowfall in a day. We got somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-18 in the last 24 hours, so thats where we're at

appearance: oddly named with a strange label - the infamous afro-wearing nubian princess. served in a snifter, very dark chocolate body - nearly black but not as much as so as other RIS's. creamy tan crest subsides rather quickly and leaves a relatively light lace behind

smell: rich dark chocolate, and lots of it...cocoa nibs, molasses, espresso, licorice - very nice

taste: offhand - reminds me a lot of an aged Rogue RIS - strong waves of dark chocolate, espresso, heavily roasted malts, cocoa. The heavy roast and alcohol leaves a rather bitter followthrough. well rounded - strong and full flavored. a great RIS - seems the hype has died down and this has settled into a rating range that is a bit more appropriate - not top 5-10, but very close

mouthfeel: full bodied, thick heavy roast, lingering bitterness, warms the body

drinkability: actually drinks pretty well, less the bitterness in the finish

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle split with Beerwolf77 and poured into a nonic. SRM: 70, IBU: 85, 9.75% ABV, Special Release February 2010, hand written "590"/1000.

Thanks a ton to Onenote81 for sending this bottle my way!

Before I start I may also note that I almost had a heart attack when I opened the box then the sealed garbage bag inside to find dark, chocolate-smelling beer all over stuff. The Sexual Chocolate didn't even appear to have a leak and nothing was broken. Hmm. Taking no chances, I had Todd over asap to have this.

A - Completely black with a dense cascading head. Totally whipped coffee tan and dense bubbles. Solid retention with thick webbing clumps of lace left over.

S - The nose is rich with roasted malts; chocolate and black patent. It already smells like it'll be silky smooth with a rich milk chocolate nose and a light cream hint. Coffee is noticeable in a sort-of burnt way but not aggressive like coffee was added.

T - Milky smooth rich roasted malts with a bold but well-balanced roasted malt strength. The chocolate is there but not as bold as I expected. Low hints of vanilla, cocoa, and coffee appear but they are all mellow.

M - Very velvety smooth with a full body and a rich, malty sweetness and very light dry and roasted bitter finish. So smooth and near throat-coating.

D - A good Russian imperial stout with a very easy drinkability for both how rich it is an how smooth/thick it is. No alcohol flavor hits at all.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Foothills SC 2011 – a = 5, dark as night, beautiful head that hangs around and swirling the glass rebuilds it on command. Beautiful tan head. Smell has great roasted malt and chocolate smell…everything I look for in a stout. Real good. Taste follows the nose…this is awesome awesome awesome. Roasted dark chocolate malts. All day. Smooth mouth. This is solid, thick, heavy, full bodied…great carbonation, chocolate. Awesome.

--- edit 2012-02-20
2012 vintage
thanks Msquared2!

4.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 4.5 - 4.5

a - filled my duck rabbit snifter. hard pour yeilds black liquid with mocha chocolate frothy head. pretty milky and bubbly. like a milk stout, only darker...but definitely on the creamy milky side.

s - roasted chocolate malts.

t - flavor comes in with HUGE roasted malts after a hint of chocolate. then it turns bitter on the exit. clean and crisp, but more roasty than chocolatey. once a few sips in, the chocolate comes in much more than the bitterness and roast. it is really smooth and even. tastes nice.

m - coolling and bready. crisp and a bit brisk. silky and light for such a bold brew.

o - overall, i agree that this beer gets hyped quite a bit, but that being said, it *is* a solid example of the style and the chocolate is rather nice and tasty. bear in mind that chocolate imperial stouts are all the rage these days...they weren't always. i find this beer to be worthy even in today's beer market, but the way people go nuts for stuff, it is understandable that many folks were let down on this beer...after all, it is just beer and although tasty with a nice hint of gourmet chocolate...drinking this beer will not give you super powers. delicious like a marshal zhukov.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub