Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Ratings: 1,364 |  Reviews: 466
2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

On tap in Athens, GA.

Pours black with a fluffy tan head. Looks nice.

Nose is heavy with cocoa. Sweet roasted malts linger in the background. Approachable is a fitting description.

Taste is mildly bitter chocolate. Pretty straightforward, really. The bitterness lingers lightly on the palate.

Mouth is on the light side of rich, if that makes sense. It's fuller than medium, but it isn't decadent or anything.

Overall, it's a decent chocolate stout. Nothing to go crazy trying to trade for, but worth trying if you get a shot.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Bomber of the 2012 vintage, courtesy of Kingkong, poured into a 25cl Duvel tulip.

A: Deep black body under a solid finger of fine light-brown head. Good retention and light lace. Excellent.

S: Rich and roasty, with lots of coffee, dark chocolate, spice, and some aromatic herbal hoppiness. Really nice.

T: Follows the nose, with huge, bitter roastiness up front, rich chocolate midway through, and more chocolate on the long, silky finish. Coffee on the aftertaste. Really, really tasty.

M: Medium-to-full body, with lots of fine, creamy carbonation. Perfect.

O: Wow, I was not expecting to be so impressed by this beer. I've tried a couple past vintages in small samples, and never thought it was anything better than mediocre - too thin, too bitter, and lacking chocolate. This year's is simply the opposite, being rich, strong, chocolatey, and well-balanced between sweet and bitter. Awesome stout!

Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev -8%

A growler fill from GBX poured into pint glass. Beautiful dark black pour with no chance of light getting through! A generous mocca head stays for a bit and provides adequate lacing. Smell is of roasted malts, chocolate and cocco. Taste was just a little disappointing for me. I will preface this by saying, I got the last fill out of the station. Actually only got about 3/4 fill on my growler. It had quite a bit of a metalic taste to it and strong booze quality. With all the hype, I was wanting a smooth mix of booze, chocolate and malts but it just wasn't there. Feel was nice and creamy, like a good RIS should be. Adequate carbonation. Overall- I want to try this again and think it may have been an outlier due to the bottom of the keg. Just okay and letdown with the taste-

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

growler from GBX poured in a pint glass

appearance: Dark, no light is getting through this baby, not even around the edges. Caramel colorerd head foamed up about 3/4 inch and faded to thin layer of bubbles.

taste: I definitley get some roasted malt, little bourbon, and dark cocoa.

taste: sweet right off the bat, with some nice booze and noticeable hops. Slight chocolate theme throughout continuing in the aftertaste.

mouth: low carb and a little oily.

overall: this is a great beer that I have been wanting to try for a while. This beer is deservedly hyped. Ill def buy again if I can find it.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Wife picked this up for me at the CBX, on tap. I've been waiting to finally get this for 2 or 3 years now, my ship has come! I was worried that all the hype on this beer would leave me disappointed. Glad to say, it lived up to the hype. While it's not the greatest beer I've ever had, it was a solid one. From the strong cocoa smell, to the dark color with the thick tan head, to the smooth finish. The taste was a good balance of malt, cocoa, and slight hops. Even though the alcohol is around 10%, it's hidden well. This beer makes a great night cap. I'm happy I finally got to try it.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Shared this bottle with my wife. We both used our cantillon tulips.

Very dark thick with a dense head very big tan and hugs the glass 4

The aroma is sweet choc with big figs and a big roasted smokiness at the back not sure what I think.

The tastes reminds me of melted chocolate icecream very light body creamy but the carbonation becomes dry and the roast and smoke lingers 4

Overall great beer

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

January 2011 release

A: Poured into a Captain Lawrence Tulip a frothy mocha head with very heavy lacing.

S: Dark roast coffee, some malt sweetness, and a well bittered cocoa aroma.

T: Taste is very oaky, with some smoked malt, bitter astringent chocolate flavors and a lightly ashy finish.
There is definitely some malt sweetness but they are quickly countered by the hop bitterness and astringent flavorings I am picking up from the earthy dark roasted malts. Seems to be more bitter than I like in an imperial stout, also slightly less sweet than I typically like, but this definitely captures the style well in flavor. I think the cocoa nibs have contributed a more earthy bitter flavor than I may have anticipated.

M: Thick mouthfeel, light to medium carbonation. Very good here.

O: Overall, this comes together nicely. There is a more earthy flavor in here, but I sense it is well attenuated and not leaving behind overly sweet flavors like many of the high abv RIS of today are leaving behind. Recommended, but would not sell your arm and leg for a taste.

2.25/5  rDev -45.5%