Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 02-15-2007

Ratings: 1,355 |  Reviews: 462

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Wife picked this up for me at the CBX, on tap. I've been waiting to finally get this for 2 or 3 years now, my ship has come! I was worried that all the hype on this beer would leave me disappointed. Glad to say, it lived up to the hype. While it's not the greatest beer I've ever had, it was a solid one. From the strong cocoa smell, to the dark color with the thick tan head, to the smooth finish. The taste was a good balance of malt, cocoa, and slight hops. Even though the alcohol is around 10%, it's hidden well. This beer makes a great night cap. I'm happy I finally got to try it.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Shared this bottle with my wife. We both used our cantillon tulips.

Very dark thick with a dense head very big tan and hugs the glass 4

The aroma is sweet choc with big figs and a big roasted smokiness at the back not sure what I think.

The tastes reminds me of melted chocolate icecream very light body creamy but the carbonation becomes dry and the roast and smoke lingers 4

Overall great beer

3.76/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

January 2011 release

A: Poured into a Captain Lawrence Tulip a frothy mocha head with very heavy lacing.

S: Dark roast coffee, some malt sweetness, and a well bittered cocoa aroma.

T: Taste is very oaky, with some smoked malt, bitter astringent chocolate flavors and a lightly ashy finish.
There is definitely some malt sweetness but they are quickly countered by the hop bitterness and astringent flavorings I am picking up from the earthy dark roasted malts. Seems to be more bitter than I like in an imperial stout, also slightly less sweet than I typically like, but this definitely captures the style well in flavor. I think the cocoa nibs have contributed a more earthy bitter flavor than I may have anticipated.

M: Thick mouthfeel, light to medium carbonation. Very good here.

O: Overall, this comes together nicely. There is a more earthy flavor in here, but I sense it is well attenuated and not leaving behind overly sweet flavors like many of the high abv RIS of today are leaving behind. Recommended, but would not sell your arm and leg for a taste.

2.25/5  rDev -45%

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured on tap at the brewery in Winston Salem
Into a small pilsner glass (i believe it was the release party and they were out of appropriate glassware, even saw it served in a highball glass)

A: Black, 1.5 fingers width of dense mocha colored head with great retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: dark fruits, roasted malt, chocolate (more milk chocolate with some bakers), plum, toasted nuts, some booze

T: Big roasted malt character, dark chocolate and mild hop bitterness on backend. Later in the drink, dark fruits come out particularly fig, and the dark chocolate gets stronger. Its sweeter than a lot of ris, and there a touch of a certain spice that I can't put my finger on but is pretty unique for the style.

M/d: Pretty smooth but not incredibly,  medium bodied, but too thin. Fails to coat the palate like the best in the style.  Served far too cold but still relatively easy to drink. Definitely could have been fuller/thicker.

O: Overall, a real good beer but nothing spectacular.  Certainly worth trying if you get the chance but there are many better RIS out there.  Would like to find a bottle so I can drink it at the right temperature from the correct glassware.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

thanks to sean for this

pour was deep black but very little head

coffee and dark bitter chocolate with a roasted charcoal malt.

very similar to nose. this was obviously fresh but all in all, very well balanced and not harsh in any way.

full body with a nice moderate carbonation. a bit of bite and some dryness.

a pretty good stout that has eluded me for years, glad to finally taste it. i would seek this out again.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

Nice if a bit overhyped imperial stout

Presentation: 12 oz tap serving at the Foothills brewery-pub in downtown Winston-Salem. Noted as special release on menu and chalkboard. Served in a short glass.

A - Black pour with a thin creamy head, fair retention, and some touches of lacing. This glassware is an odd choice… But OK, it is how the brewery serves it.

S - Roasted malt notes, touch of chocolate, coffee…

T - Expanded nicely in the palate, roasted malt, touches of chocolate, coffee, small bitter hoppy touch and a bitter-sweet sense with a hint of vanilla.

M - Medium-full body and carbonation with a nice smooth and creamy sense.

O - Nice stout, glad I got to try it...

Notes: This is good, not deserving the kind of hype I perceived kind of good but good in any case. Supposedly I was lucky to reach the last keg on this work visit to Winston-Salem, and taste the batch done on the premises. I was told that the one I tried in a bar nearby came from the batch brewed at the new location. From one day to the next I could not sense the difference. The second time around I had it on a pint shaker glass, typical reaction: good for the size, but again wrong glassware. Probably this brew shines more if served properly.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 version, on tap at Sexy Chocolate Day 2011. Pours with a little head, tan lacing, a slight chocolate aroma, I was expecting a bit more chocolate, it was a bit subdued for me. Still, extremely smooth, well worth the hype, if only I was just getting a bit more rubustiness and full chocolate. I still like it.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub