Sexual Chocolate | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

4.13/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,358 |  Reviews: 462
3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

Thank you morimoto, I opened a bottle of this and passed it around on DLD, not getting the pour I needed. You provided me with a 2nd chance to give it a deserved taste.

A - Pours a fairly dark, +1.5" brown head. Doesn't appear to be that thick, but rather an average or slightly above average RIS body. Looks nice overall with good head retention. A little better looking than par, but doesn't have the long thick legs I'd expected.

S - Smoke and roasted malt. Nothing special at all here for me. The guy next to me likes it, but this isn't his review.

T - Smokey. Roasted Malts. Smokey. Tries to get a little sweet, but then it doesn't and instead stays smokey. I get a little cocoa, NOT CHOCOLATE, towards the end. As I sip on it more, chocolate comes out in the middle of the flavor. Slightly bitter, definitely smokey finish. I think the smoke takes away from the chocolate potential here. I'm not sure where the anticipated chocolate went....maybe it evaporated and rained over at the Bruery. Seriously though, I dislike that I have to drink 1/2 a glass to get that cocoa flavor. I'm starting to enjoy the beer a bit towards the end, but at a tasting I'd be bummed.

M - Good enough body for a RIS. Not as thick as I'd prefer, but there aren't many that are. I respect the thickness. Creamy mouthfeel is positive.

O - I am disappointed with this one. The smoke takes away from what I think is a decent amount of potential. It is evident throughout my entire 10-12oz pour. Chocolate only comes out after 6oz or so. Otherwise, I have to fight to find it. I'm not going to kill the score because I find it to be unique and it does get a lot better as the glass empties. Less smoke is my request. However, I can see how some people could really enjoy this. I think this is a smoked beer drinker's paradise. Unfortunately, it isn't my preference. I think the BA version will probably benefit from the smokiness though.

3.47/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to bucketboy for the bottle

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brown and settled black with just a half a finger of off white head.

S-- Chocolate, coco, coffee and some dark fruits. More of the dark chocolate variety though.

T-- coco powder, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Nothing too exciting about this beer.

M-- Lots of dark chocolate and coco powder. Very dry finish to this. Low carbonation and low feel to this. Bits of coffee here and there.

O-- Good but not outstanding. Coffee and chocolate got bigger as I drank on with this. A bit overhyped I thought.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Thanks for the tick oglmcdgl, 2010 vintage into a tulip.

A- Sexual Chocolate is a very black beer that is black as can be and is black. The black is underneath a mocha colored head up above that settles into a slight cap, not so clingy lace.

S- Smell is on the roasty side, it's a big ol' IRS but I smell an infection coming. Besides that roast, chocolate, hoppy appeal, licorice, anise, you know what it is.

T- I did not get the infection that much. It's there and will grow, thank god we caught it now! Sexy Chocolate goes from fudge chocolate, roasty malts, some char, a bit of brownie and dark fruit going into infection.

M- It's a big stout, it's real smushy, glugging down the track. Kinda muddy. For a RIS it works, the infection casts a tangy after taste that is bleh and the carb is there.

O- Really glad I tried this beer, and Im glad it did not get any older. I've been running into mad infection issues with craft stouts recently and it's really turned me off of the style completely.

Bottle dated Feb 2015:

Small amount of brown head that dissipated quickly. Deep dark color, as expected. Really no aroma outside a boozy scent. Possibly due to bottle being 6 months old, but I expected the aromas to hold up better. Nice heavy flavor and feel. Not too much of a booze flavor at all and lighter hints of chocolate, also possibly due to age.

Sexual Chocolate from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub