Barrel Aged People's Porter | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Style: American Porter

Added by gford217 on 01-19-2009

Reviews: 125 | Ratings: 571
3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

A: pours a dark brown with two fingers of khaki head that fades into a thin ring with a little lacing.

S: roasted malts with creamy chocolate up front followed by vanilla, oak, and bourbon.

T: similar to the aroma, lots of roasted malts with chocolate, vanilla, oak, and bourbon complimenting. Slightly bitter finish.

M: medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is slightly watery.

O: a good beer, overall. It's nice to have a relatively light and drinkable bbal beer.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Got this in trade from inlimbo77, thanks Bill. Poured from the bomber into a tulip. Dark, dark brown, creamy head, nice foam, minimal lace. Looks good so far.
Smells mostly, overwhelmingly bourbon, I really get nothing else on the nose. Too bad it's not more complex.
Mouthfeel is a little too thin for me, not really watery, just thin.

Taste is just way too bitter, too much bourbon, no vanilla or coffee notes picked up at all. Not very complex, too one dimensional for me. Easy to drink, just too bitter. Limited flavor of the roasted malts.

Maybe this would age and mellow out a little, become more complex. I would like to try the regular version as a comparison.
I think the barrel ruined this one.
Overall, this one is average at best for me.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Shared with Randy and Jason at the Parrothead in Shelby, OH.

Pour is dark brown, with a decent off white head. THe actual liquid is very carbonated, that was the first thing Randy noticed.

The smell is just as bitter as the non BA version. but then theres the alcohol. Its a smooth warm bourbon flavor that doesnt overpower the base beer. Im not sure they mix perfectly yet though.

Now the flavor was something else. The first thing I notice, is that the underlying beer hasnt lost anything. Its actually gained some bitter chocolate cocoa nibs flavors. There isnt much barrel flavors, its all just bourbon. Somehow they meld together nicely, I was just hoping the barrel aging would mellow out the overpowering bitterness.

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

A-Pours nearly black with a tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing behind.

S-Bourbon, coffee, alcohol, coconut, and more bourbon.

T-Very similar to the nose with bourbon completely dominating the flavor profile. There was some chocolate, coffee, coconut, and wood in the mix, but the bourbon overwhelmed everything. It was no where near as tasty as the regular People's Porter in my opinion.

M-super thin for the style.

D-The overwhelming bourbon flavor and thin mouthfeel made this a one and done for me.

Overall, this is average at best in my opinion. I absolutely love People's Porter and was excited about drinking this, but it had way too much bourbon and was way too thin.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a deep rich brown color with a small off-white head. Decent retention, but nothing special

S: Right off the bat you get the barrel aromas: vanilla, oak, pappy van winkle. Seems booze-forward but it actually restrains itself well.

T: Light in flavor, which is something I didn't expect. Barrel notes, vanilla, mild chocolate, and an underlying charred/roasted flavor

MF/D: lighter in body than I wanted or expected-almost watery. But this is a very drinkable beer and pretty flavorful

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Out of a 22oz bottle, but I also had it on draft and liked it better that way.

S - Nice lowkey bourbon smell with hints of chocolate and malt.

T - A bit of bourbon upfront followed by a traditional porter beer. Very easy drinking for a barrel aged beer. Not too pricey either.

M - Smooth, moderate carb. Subtle booze, but easy drinking.

O - Surprisingly easy drinking barrel aged beer. ABV is not too high, and this could be a nice go to barrel aged beer if it was produced more. Like this beer alot.

Picked a bottle of this up at Lighthouse Beer & Wine due to some recommendations as I was passing through the area. Thanks to the guys in the South-Atlantic forum for recommending this really delicious porter.

A - Dark brown, ruby red in color. Pours with about 1 finger of light brown head, leaves some lacing. Really good looking porter.

S - I picked up mostly roasted malts and some bourbon. It definitely comes through in this, and I really like it. Alcohol smell, but I believe it's from the bourbon, not from the beer that is only 6% ABV.

T - Nice change of pace from big imperial stouts like KBS that I've been drinking. More subtle flavors, but definitely good roasted character and definitely taste the bourbon barrel. Really imparts a nice bourbon flavor without being overboard. Again, a hint of alcohol as in the smell, but I believe that's mixed in with the bourbon character. I'd describe the overall flavor as a good roasty porter with a nice hit of bourbon. I don't think I'd recommend this to someone who doesn't like the flavor of bourbon.

M - Not a thick body. Fairly light, with plenty of carbonation. No alcohol burn, and leaves a nice aftertaste of roasted notes and bourbon.

O - I think this is a great beer for people who love bourbon and porters. It's nice and light. In other words, it doesn't give you the feeling that you ate a meal like an imperial stout. That's nice sometimes, and obviously what they aimed for with this beer. I could drink this beer anytime. I don't have any problems with this beer, but I feel like there could be room for improvement. As you can see by my rating, however, it's a solid example of a BBA Porter. Would buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

22oz bomber bottle. This is Feb. 2012 on the release I believe. Poured this one into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pours a deep brown color. It's not fully black. There are some reddish hues on the corners of glass. About a finger of light tan, tight bubbled head. Fades down pretty quickly. Swirls concur up a nice two finger head and some lacing bits.

S: Really nice soft vanilla notes on the nose. There is some oak there. Soft chocolate and caramel hints also. No coffee notes on the nose.

T: Wow! That is a great sip. Getting nice bourbon hints, but not overpowering at all. Lots of dark, bittersweet chocolate up front. Vanilla. Toffee. No alcohol burn at all. Round flavors. Lots of chocolate on the back end. Dark chocolate.

M: Medium bodied. Very smooth. Easy drinking.

O: A-. Really liked it.

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours out black with a loose tan head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Nose is chocolate, toffee, sweet wood, caramel and bourbon.

Flavors mirror the taste, with a little more bourbon soaked wood and lighter chocolate. Lots of toffee and rich crema.

The Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, but it remains refreshing

Great porter and one to definitely seek out!

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Loud PSST! when I pop the cap. Pours essentially black, but a little thin. Maybe a very dark brown. 2 finger tan head settles down to 1/2 finger.

First I get is a hit of bourbon and nuttiness. This is followed by sweet toffee and roasted malts. The bourbon I initially got actually seems to disappear. There's some cured meat/rauchbier thing going on as well.

Lot's of oak and a nice balanced amount of bourbon flavor. Flavor follows aroma with nuts, roasted malt, cured meat, and wood. Finishes with very mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

Overall, People's Porter is a solid porter, and that being said... I think the original was better. I'm just getting this odd rauchbeir-like quality that I'm not liking.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

IMO one amazing brew. I love the heavy oak and Bourbon, nice head and love the carbonation. I like this one better than some of the more popular Stouts. If you like Bourbon you'll love this one. I enjoy the Porter style, not too sweet, not too viscous, nice head. Bourbon heavy which I happen to like, a little chocolate there too, finishes dry I'm guessing from the oak influence. I wouldn't want it more balanced IMO.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%

A - slightly opaque dark brown with a quick fading head

S - Light Bourbon at the start with soft vanilla and charred wood aromas. A nice toasted malt scent to compliment the barrel aromas. Very pleasant

T - A little thin but not too bad. Bourbon flavor is pretty much all vanilla and light alcohol. The porter is slightly chalky and acidic but has a good chocolate and toast flavor. Aftertaste has a coffee like acidity with a dry wood finish

M/O - Medium body that that is well carbonated. Aftertaste is thin and doesn't last too long. Easy to drink but nothing that bags for another sip. Tastes as if from the spent Ba sexy chocolate barrels and overall not bad

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Pours a dark brown, coffee like color with a 1/2" tan head. Good lacing with it as well.

S - Roasty, nutty, malts with hints of bourbon and a splash of coffee and a little dark chocolate. The roastness in here reminds be of a fresh can of nuts.

T - Bourbon and roasty nuts. Not much else for me.

M - Felt lightly carbonated and thin with only a slight bitterness. A little disappointing for me.

O - Not bad. Had it on tap months ago and I remember it better than this. Could be the batch.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to Pat for the bomber.

This is a superb beer. And it's local...

A: Nice cola-look with a chocolate-milky head. Pretty stuff.

S: Mmmm, sweet bourbon. Some toffee, chocolate, and tons and tons of vanilla and bourbon. A bit woodsy - maybe some earthiness.

T: This is why I like barrel-aged beer! The base beer is a favorite of mine and with the oaky-vanilla its perfect! Toffee, chocolate, tons of vanilla bourbon for a sweet finish.

M: creamy. delicate even. a touch watery but I'm nit-picking.

O: A truly delightful beer. Foothills is my local darling and they continue to impress with this one!

4.48/5  rDev +17%

On tap in Charlotte, served in a small (8.5oz) glass. Very nice appearance, dark brown and opaque with a creamy looking tan poof of foam that looked like it came from a nitro tap. Delicious looking foam.

Continuing with the aroma I'm still impressed, this has a solid barrel character. Cocoa and roasted malt mix it up with light (none-too-boozy) bourbon and maybe just a little vanilla. It tastes nearly as good as it smells too, with flavors of rum rather than bourbon giving accompaniment to the chocolately base beer. Extremely drinkable, this has a lot of barrel flavor with very little burn. Actually, this is my favorite BA treatment from Foothills, much better than Olde Rabbit's Foot or BA Sexual Chocolate.

If you see this I recommend it, very tasty and satisfying.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap at the brewery. Served in a standard pint glass.

I was pretty pumped to find a BBA beer while on our brief visit to this brewery. The bartender served this with very little head. The body is dark brown and crystal clear (or as best as I can tell in that lighting).

The nose has tons and tons of bourbon. Wow...smells like my wife will have to drive to the hotel. Roasted malts and coffee play background roles.

As the nose indicates, this is a bourbon bomb. There is something off about it though...almost like bourbon was added to this rather than the beer aging in barrels.

The mouthfeel is by far the weakest link in this offering. Watery with light carbonation. I think the MF really takes away from the other characters of this beer.

Man...this one has potential, but the body, and to a lesser extent, taste, needs some work. Worth the tick I guess, but I would not recommend...

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Growler. Pours a dark brown color with a big mocha tan head. Rich dark chocolate with a big handful of bourbon notes. Some roast as well. Medium/light mouthfeel, lighter than expected and desired given the strong aroma and flavor. Roasted coffee and bourbon notes upfront with a bitter dark chocolate back end. Lingering booze flavor but no burn of alcohol. Overall, I enjoyed this but wish the mouthfeel was a little heavier. The bourbon notes may be offputting to some.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

9/3/2011

Growler shared by Stawn, thanks!

A: Black with a big creamy light brown head. Pretty good retention and a little lacing.

S: Perfumy barrel phenols with pronounced vanilla and oak. There's a little brown sugar with a dash of green apple. Bourbon is really strong, accompanied by caramel and a touch of chocolate. Smells quite nice.

T: Caramel and a little chocolate with oak. For the strength of the bourbon in the nose, it's really light in the flavor. I get oak, tannins, and astringency, but little bourbon.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Overall: Just okay. The nose the highlight. The flavor was lacking.

1.85/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Ont tap at Foothills the day of the BASC release.

I like the regular Peoples Porter so I figured I would give it a shot. WOW... and not in a good way.

The beer is a deep chocolate color with lots of ruby highlights. The thin tan head recedes almost immediately leaving behind no lacing whatsoever. The beer looks thin.

The smell is bourbon all the way. The bourbon smell is so strong there is almost no trace of the base beer in the aroma.

The taste is much the same as the smell, all bourbon all the way. Just an overwhelming bourbon presence. My wife and I both ordered one and she could only get through one or two sips before she could not take it anymore. The beer is thin and under carbonated. Hard to drink

Overall, I was completely turned off by the HUGE bourbon presence (and I like a good bourbon). Just poorly done. I am actually surprised because there are so many good reviews for this beer, and how well BASC is done. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and figure that this was a bad batch, maybe if I am feeling adventurous I will try this again someday and re-review.

They really missed the mark on this one...

1.78/5  rDev -53.5%

On tap the night before BASC release. Unfortunately BASC kicked before we arrived so I ordered this instead; shame on me.

Tastes, smells, looks and feels thin. Plenty of watery bourbon throughout and some, eff, who cares. Not much of a porter presence, this is the written essence of three quarters of a pint being drain poured.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Split an imperial growler (32oz.) with a buddy. Poured into my Founders snifter.

A: Poured a dark chocolate with a nice 1 finger caramel head. Nice retention on the head with some splotchy lace on the drink's way down.

S: Wow, what up bourbon. It's hard to fight through the bourbon, but once I do I find some dark chocolate with some roasted biscuit malt.

T: The taste of the bourbon is even more pronounced than in the smell. Very sweet bourbon with dark chocolates and some light roast. Little bitter hops thrown in on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with a nice carbonation. Nice sweet chocolates left on the palate.

O: This guy was a bourbon assault. I like BA beers, but this guy just throws the bourbon all over the place and the other flavors take a back seat.

2.51/5  rDev -34.5%

Bourbon barrel aged People’s Porter? More like Bourbon...um...uh...yeah, just bourbon. This tastes like bourbon. If I wanted bourbon, I’d just drink bourbon. Well I do like some bourbon, but not all bourbon if you want to call yourself a beer.

Anyway, the "beer" in question here is dark brown with caramel bourbon-like tones and a very minimal tan head.

The aroma is bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, oakiness, and roast. Not too bad actually.

The flavor is BOURBON, bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, roast, chocolate, oak, and more bourbon.

Medium-bodied and boozy with lower carbonation.

This has potential, but hey guys, ease off on that bourbon next time.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

On-tap at Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria, Greenville, SC. May 2011:

The beer poured a deep black with a dark tan head that was decently retained and some lacing to note. The beer's aroma was as expected given that I also had tried the Bourbon Barrel Aged India Brown Ale and Total Eclipse Stout, was heavy on the alcohol and vanilla with a hint of earthiness to it. The taste is pretty consistent with the nose but perhaps a hint of malt sweetness. The beer had a lighter feel to it, but given that the non-Bourbon Barrel Aged People's Porter is an English Stout, this is more in line with my expectation. The beer had a slightly lower carbonation level, but the beer was still creamy and easy to drink, but given the ABV probably not going to be able to drink too many at a time. Overall, a solid brew, but perhaps too much like the other Bourbon Barrel Aged beers.

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

The rep said this went in to barrel at 5.7% and came out @ 7%!

Poured from growler into a new belgium tulip, Pitch black zero light through from a 100 watt bulb, a creamy capicino khaki head with some lacing.

Bourbon coffee chocolate vanilla goodness.

Sweet bourbon and chocolate seem to dominate,a solid vanilla note comes on strong to carry the coffee and malty grainy goodness.

Seems a bit thin is all I can come up with to detract from this wonderful brew.

If'n you can find this you should drink it!

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 1, oct 8/2010. Jw347 contributed this one. thanks john!

64oz growler.

pours clear dark brown with a bit of red highlighting showing through at the edges. a small fine dark tan head forms, dropping quickly and leaving spotty lace.

aroma is good. bourbon and raw oak. dark and milk chocolate. light alcohol. whole wheat bread and biscuit. coffee.

taste is good. bourbon and raw oak again. dark and milk chocolate. more coffee in the aroma, but still not overpowering. light alcohol. medium-low bitterness level. whole wheat bread and biscuit. earthy.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium body. slightly under medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. good balance. the barrel has slightly overpowered the base beer, or perhaps the base has mellowed somewhat with time. either way, i'd have liked the porter in this to stand up a little more.

Barrel Aged People's Porter from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub