Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 130
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

On-tap at the brewpub.

Pours black with a half-finger brown head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of vanilla and bourbon with good amounts of molasses and very mild hints of dark fruit.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Molasses and dark chocolate flavors with faint roasted malt undertones upfront are quickly overtaken by loads of vanilla and bourbon. As with the smell there are hints of dark fruit midway through the sip that fade as the end of the sip nears. The ending is mildly bitter and leaves hints of dark chocolate and bourbon on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was a solid BA stout however I prefer mine with a bit more roastiness. However, I have to admit that's nitpicking and this is still a very good beer and well worth a shot.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Arrives with an espresso brown color and a modest tan cap that hangs around as a ringlet and leaves a few wisps behind

Smell: Subtle wafts of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla

Taste; Opens with a black bread and chocolate flavor that is quickly joined by the soft bourbon and vanilla aspectsa; some dark fruit joins in as well; after the swallow, the biurbon grows slightly more pronounced though the overall effect is understated

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A pleasure to drink; subtle flavors and well-disguised alcohol

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

The final in the trio of offerings from Foothills that I was just insanely anxious to try. This a new takes on an old favorite.
The pour was the best I saw all day for a stout, hands down. Rich and completely black with a huge towering head on the top that would not quit. Spilling over the sides it left everything just completely soaked and sticky with a thin chocolate covered film. A wonderful mess indeed. Rich notes of bourbon and Vanilla welcome you in on this one and play off each other nicely. Warming lets a touch of the chocolate underneath peak its head up but not as much as I would have liked, still, very nice. As I take a sip, it crashes over the palate. Richness that is well served to say the least. Creamy and full bodied the deep chocolate and roasted malts interact with vanilla and a leather and tobacco note making it all so smooth and full that it was absurd. Enormous flavor here that was simply hard to withstand. I really could have just sat there with a glass of this all day, it seemed to really come together quite well. Long and very sweet finish had nice hints of molasses and vanilla leaving me looking around to find out just what had happened.
Overall solid as could be. It appears they cannot go wrong with aging their offerings. Very impressed with what was going on here and rightfully so. A lot of time went into these and it really shows. Very well done.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed on 8/1

I was fortunate to have this at the Foothills 'Beer School' they held on Saturday August 1st. I tried this first as a sampler but then had a full pint of this afterwards.

A- Pours a jet black with a nice 2 to 3 finger tan head.

S- They aren't exagerating with bourbon barrel aged in the title. This beer reeks(in a good way) of bourbon. The smell was so strong that I could smell the bourbon notes before the server even poured the taster. Behind the bourbon were some mid chocolate and tobacco notes but it is the bourbon that overwhelms the smell of this beer.

T- The bourbon experience does not stop at the smell. The bourbon flavor overpowers you at first taste however it mellows out nicely with the tobacco and chocolate coming through. This is a nice combination of flavors that normally I would not be keen on havinh however it works with this beer. I was blown away at how strong and mellow this beer would be simultaneously. Very good and very dangerous if consumed too much.

I am very sad to know that I had this for one day and will not be able to have this again. I was hesitant at first to try this because of my general lack of interest in bourbon but I am glad that I did. This was a very good brew, so much so that I tried bribing the bartender into selling me a growler, however to my dismay they only had about a pitcher of it left. After having this I would like to have more bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts to see how they stack up. A very good beer indeed.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft. Pours black with a tan head. Aroma of chocolate and bourbon. Flavor of bourbon initially with a chocolately finish that lingers. Fairly mellow for a barrel-aged stout. Nice beer (and in general I am not a fan of bourbon-aged beers but this was done well).

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC, 7.1.09

Nearly opaque black with black grape colored highlights and topped with a slightly mocha colored head. Copious amounts of lacing leave the glass quite cloudy.

Aroma is really bourbony. Vanilla and bourbon are about all the nose encompasses, which, in my opinion, isnt a bad thing.

More bourbon in the flavor. The bourbon really hits me immediately but fades slowly on the tongue leaving a long, slow finish. Was this aged on 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle barrel or was this aged 23 years in a Pappy Van Winkle barrel? Either way, its delicious.

Be ready for some bourbon in this one. One thing I like about this is that it is relatively sessionable. It isnt a huge double stout or RIS so it is a little more enjoyable in my opinion. I really liked this one.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Courtesy of Jamie and Scott at Foothills. They dropped this keg off after a Draft Promo and great night filled with CornHole, BBQ & Sexual Chocolate.

Appearance: Solid Black - Poured off tap with thick tan head. Nice lacing and head retention.

Smell: 23 Year Old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. Cocoa, Chocolate, Malt, Tobacco

Taste: The most bourbony of the Bourbon Barrel aged beers I've had. Over the top! Rich chocolate flavor, tobacco leaf, hazelnut, almond

Mouthfeel: My favorite part. The bourbon leaves the finish so clean and refreshing. This beer has a soft mouthfeel with a nice tannic thick essence.

Drinkability: very drinkable - I had a glass with some good friends last night outside in 89 degree weather. Amazing and refreshing. I highly recommend if you can get your hands on some.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last