Jade IPA | Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub

Added by Macky20 on 02-06-2011

#844

Ratings: 1,016 |  Reviews: 150
3.21/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle share at Proof. Pale straw in color, white head that faded to medium collar. Aroma is a light malt bill, some grassy hops. Taste is bitter, grassy, some floral hops. Odd taste. Not very enjoyable. Light to medium body and low to med carbonation.

3.24/5  rDev -23.8%

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%

3.36/5  rDev -20.9%

Started off well with an attractive bright yellow, clear appearance with plenty of bubbles and off-white head. Nose was floral, but a tad weak. Beyond that, this was nothing to speak of, for me. That's not to say that it wasn't a well-crafted brew; in fact it reminded me a lot of HF's Abner and What is Enlightenment? They're just not my cup of tea. The date stamp was illegible, so perhaps it was an old bottle?

3.51/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Beatjunkee for throwing this in his ninja box for NBS BIF#3. 12oz bottle poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clean, clear light gold color with less than 1/4 inch of white head that quickly dissipated and left very little lacing.

The nose was mostly citrus and floral hops, with just a hint of underlying grainy malt. Pretty similar on the tongue, with citrus hops dominating. Very light grain across most of the palate, and a bit of floral hops linger at the back.

The body was just on the light side of medium, and had very nice carbonation across the tongue, which made the lack of head on the pour even more of a surprise. Drinkability was very good, a good, enjoyable brew. Overall, an enjoyable, solid example of the style. Nicely made, and very tasty. Worth trying if you see it.

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap today at Foothills. I was looking forward to it after reading all the positive reviews.

This arrived with virtually no head. There was a slight citrus aroma on this amber IPA.

I would not characterize the taste as very hop forward. You could taste the hops but I've had more aggressive hop taste from DFH and Smuttynose bottle pours. I just didn't find what I was hoping for from this IPA. I have had the Hoptimum from Foothills and found it more to my liking.

Again, this is not a bad beer but it did not measure up to my expectations.

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy pour with a good amount of foam that laced down the glass. Initially, huge citrus nose. Taste has lots of lemon, tropical citrus and a spicy finish. The mouthfeel was all wrong for me. Very bubbly, rough and choppy. Deal breaker for me. Better IPAs out there for me.

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev -15.5%

I had this on tap at the brewery at the same time I sampled the "Seeing Double". The appearance was a little weak, no head to speak of, no lacing, a light yellow in color. The first thing noticed is the grapefruit. The aroma hit me before the pint was set down. The taste is more of the same, pure grapefruit, it's all I could detect. A little acidic for my liking. It was very refreshing, but I think one is all I could drink in succession. A far cry from Seeing Double, although they are not really in the same class. Prost!

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Jade IPA from Foothills Brewing Company - Downtown Brewpub